Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

The JWs are frequently camped outside libraries in suits looking bored, is that a part of their doctrine? looks like they are just checking a box and even if I was in the market for a religion nothing about that looks fun.

I think I read somewhere that sending mormon youth out as missionaries is partially about letting them experience a world that is hostile to them [because they're trying to convert people], since it builds an us vs them defensiveness of the church. If they convert anyone that's nice, but galvanising the existing members has a value of its own.

Could be something like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

steinrokkan posted:

My favorite cult are the charlatans who operate the Waldorfian schools because they somehow managed to convince vast swathes of bougie morons that they are a respectable alternative to normal schools, so they send their kids to basically schools run by dollar store scientologists.

Ah, the Steiner schools? Yeah those amusing. Not super bad, though; the worst I can say about them is that it sounds like they make it too easy for kids to choose to not learn things they really ought to know by the time they finish school.

e: Though they really do seem to attract the crunchiest antivax and alt-medicine parents.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Dec 1, 2023