Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Religion, spirituality and belief are all endemic to the whole “being human or human like” deal, in one way or another, to some degree.

However, some smaller groups of belief, religious or otherwise, manage to go sideways and really push the limit on healthy spiritual outlets. Some of us have personal experience with a more extreme, non traditional or unorthodox belief system. Or maybe you’re just like me and like spending time going “so they’re like legit believing that” a lot.

For the purpose of the thread, let’s loosely define cult as “a new religious movement or other social group which is defined by its unusual religious, spiritual, or philosophical beliefs and rituals, or its common interest in a particular person, object, or goal,” which is yoinked from Wikipedia because I’m lazy. Sometimes I go by “coercion, charismatic leadership and compound” as a rough criteria.

Personally, QAnon is loosely a cult, but Swifties are not. Christianity isn’t a cult, but there are absolutely Christian cults. I think it’s a “know it when you see it” situation for the most part, but there are definitely some that fall into a “cult and…” category.

For instance, a new documentary on the Twin Flame Universe group was released on Netflix and wow, that’s a cult! And what a loving weird cult at that! “Stalking is ok”, reinventing the gender binary, and proof that you don’t really need charisma to be a charismatic leader, what a mix. What’s really fascinating/terrifying is that most of this cult formed mostly online, making its real world actions and events being all the more disturbing. Like running extensive intel on the enemies of your Facebook group is definitely a choice to make.

Another group I learned about recently is Love Has Won, via the HBO documentary series, as well as a mention on QAnon Anonymous. Colloidal silver, Robin Williams and mummification, three things that I thought never would appear in a sentence together.

So, were you in a cult? A thrill kill kult? Or did you grow up with friends who left a cult? Tell me about your experiences or thoughts. Or share a cult, I’m not grading you, here, check out Two by Twos, a new religious movement that has been around for over a century but rarely has printed materials for the public, no official headquarters and are pretty much home based.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Smugworth posted:

I was just thinking yesterday about how I should join a thrill kill kult. Anyone know of any that operate in Minnesota?

If you’re Kooler Than Jesus you’re in

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
So I just learned about Ramtha's School of Enlightenment and JZ Knight and boy howdy

wiki posted:

In 2011, Knight stated (while at the RSE supposedly channeling Ramtha), "gently caress God’s chosen people! I think they have earned enough cash to have paid their way out of the goddamned gas chambers by now", and said that Mexican people "breed like rabbits" and are "poison," that all gay men used to be Catholic priests, and that organic farmers have bad hygiene.

quote:

She [Knight] later worked in the cable television industry, and due to her work moved to Tacoma, Washington, where, according to her autobiography, a psychic told her the "Enlightened One" would appear to her in the future. She says that Ramtha first appeared to her in her kitchen in 1977.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Outpost22 posted:

What was that one Japanese cult that I think used nanobots to attack a Tokyo subway?

Ricin is terrifying

redshirt posted:

I won't delve any further since we have a dedicated thread for it, but the MAGA cult is a hell of a thing. If you'd call it a cult. If not, I'm not sure how else to define it.

There is a LOT of overlap, MAGA poo poo is incredibly cult like, and that’s not being hyperbolic. It’s far more than a political movement at this point.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Chen Tao

Kind of fascinating! Doomsday prophecy turned out to not be true and they sort of just disbanded.

Also:

quote:

The group reportedly moved to Garland because the name sounded like "God Land". At the time the group had roughly 140–160 members. Members purchased more than 20 homes in an upper-middle-class south Garland neighborhood. Like their neighbors, these followers were white-collar professionals, some of whom were reportedly wealthy. "They dressed in white, wore cowboy hats and drove luxury cars," according to The Dallas Morning News.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Time_pants posted:

America is the most dangerous and violent cult I ever nearly escaped.

I did and it never loving leaves ya.

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Honestly, joining a cult sounds loving exhausting. Anybody know of any good ones that don't take a lot of commitment?

Pal, you’re posting in one

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
There was a JW girl in my fourth grade class who stole lunch money from several kids, myself included. She was mean to everyone but I still felt bad since she had to leave whenever we had celebrations in class. I remember my mind being blown when someone explained the situation to me, that someone believes a God that won’t let you celebrate birthdays or holidays.

When I moved schools, there was another JW girl, she was pretty nice. I remember overhearing that she tried to stay for some sort of class party and the teacher knew she wasn’t supposed to, as her parents sent a note informing them. The teacher was upset she had to do the dirty work of enforcing a needlessly cruel belief that was not her own onto a kid who wanted to have fun with her friends, like every other kid.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
JWs in Sweden on the street take a look at me and pretty much don’t bother, which I respect.

JWs who knock on my apartment door better hope Jehovah is on their side if they get my partner answering. I’m the nice one. He is not.

I put out a small sign on the newspaper holder in front of the door advising them and salespeople to not bother, in both Swedish and English. Noticeable difference, that’s for sure.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

OB-GYN Kenobi posted:

Must be the Juggalette look. Woop Woop.

I don’t think there’s a juggalo presence in Sweden. I genuinely cannot comprehend the idea of it.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

the holy poopacy posted:

Please tell me they pronounce it yuggalo

When I say it like that it feels like it’s a slur, for who, I don’t know, but it’s a bad one.

The pics are really endearing and I miss Web 1.0.

Anyway back on kvltcult poo poo, I discovered who Teal Swan is via The Deep End and her and her followers are like 5 min away from officially being a cult. She is disquieting in her narcissism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Vampire Panties posted:

Apps are the new snake oil

My only major sticking point with The Deep End is that they didn’t go over the woo-woo-ier aspects of Swan’s messaging, because there’s QUITE a bit and it’s predatory as hell.

Though to be fair, focusing on Swan’s personality was also a wise decision because my god, how do you see how she treats her inner circle and think “yes this is a spiritual leader that wants good for everyone.” She’s a terrifying mean girl.