Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
I grew up and because of my mother I'm still all around the cult that is Christian Science. It's not Scientology, it's the whack job religion that doesn't believe in medicine, doctors, taking any drugs including caffeine, the germ theory of disease....

It was horrific growing up that way It definitely hosed me up for life

Anything at all wrong is ignored because God made everything and God is perfect so everything God made is perfect.

It's like pathological denial for everything

I was gonna always make a thread full of horror stories about it but I never did it's too depressing

But then the rise of anti vaxers occurred!!! it's just nuts because I remember Christian Science always being just a laughing stock of a religion---these people die instead of getting anything treated medically

Val Kilmer is probably the most famous Christian Scientist now and he did not get his throat cancer treated until he was at the brink of death and him doing so did absolutely go against the religion. I'm surprised he caved to be honest

Because of my mom's career which was involved in the religion I personally know of many people who died or were lame or disfigured from lack of medical treatment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

I'll tell one thing that always stuck with me

There was a really nice lady, she was so nice :love: probably in her 60s and she had breast cancer [I gathered.]. Of course she was getting no medical treatment and was instead staying in a Christian Science nursing facility. This is the place they go where they get bandaged up but no medicine, no doctors, no treatment. Its somewhere they can go to be sick and get better or mostly die. They think they are there for healing by God and practitioners. Practitioners are members of the cult whose only job is to be paid to pray for people.

She's in and out of the facility because medicare will only pay for short stays or something like that. I go visit her one time and I bring my cat trying to do something nice for her. To my horror after she starts petting my cat he starts sniffing at her chest and won't stop and then does that flehmen response and hisses at her chest and then hides under her bed and I have trouble getting him out. :(

God knows how awful and advanced it was under her multiple shirts

I couldn't help but think how insane it was that after some animal has that kind of reaction she is still going to pray that it's not there that it's not reality.

That in the words of their "Dear Leader":

"There is no life, truth, intelligence or substance in matter. All is infinite Mind and its infinite manifestation for God is all."

That's the cult's "Scientific statement of Being" which is the equivalent of probably the Lord's Prayer.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

MrQwerty posted:

I've seen a person get mandated into AA, get WAY WAY into it and then purposely burn their relationships with everyone they knew who won't agree to go to 12 meetings a week. Including their spouse.

I wonder how that dude is doing. Harm reduction is better than AA imo.

What

Harm reduction

Isn't that like the concept that alcoholics can just drink less

If that's it just go away

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

MrQwerty posted:

I quit drinking for 5 years thanks to a harm reduction program.

AA's learned powerlessness poo poo is a really ugly brainworm when people get hung up on it, and that's the main thing a lot of people take from AA because it's really attractive when you're at your weakest.
Ok

I don't believe the powerlessness part at all either

I never even went to AA

I just think that harm reduction isn't probably going to work for a lot of alcoholics but this isn't that thread so nm :)

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

Hyrax Attack! posted:

They have a reading room in a nearby town’s Main Street, they have stuff in the windows about how great Mary Baker Eddy was but past that I’ve never seen any proselytizing. Do they just have some seriously loaded senior members?

Yes that is it^
The religion is finally totally dying off as the believers die off. This is mostly a religion of well off whites, only they could be so stupid as to deny the reality of illness.

What I have observed is they often do well physically from clean living until 60 or 70.

Then age hits and all bets are off.....

Many leave all their $ to the church.

I've seen people rot while alive with facial cancer that ate their eye and forehead. The worst one of that type was a musician who knew Bowie. I wanted to ask questions about his life but more than a sentence or two wiped him out.

Also, separately, when legs swell to a straight trunk and weep fluid death is then inevitable tho may take a few months. That's really common.

The worst death was a slim woman my age who had been beautiful, I could tell. First she spat incessantly into a wastebasket and never ate. She started to look pregnant though?

Then her room started to smell bad, no more visitors. Her laundry was so horrible with coffee grounds blood it was thrown out rather than washed. I heard a week later from a gossipy young nurse how she finally died. It took hours in her shower stall with multiple staff present, holding her upright while she choked to death on her own feces.

My guess is she had a bowel or intestinal blockage?

This is the cult of Christian Science and it blows my mind how antivaxxers are in lockstep with this kind of insanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

ikanreed posted:

There's gotta be some overlap of psychotic disorder and cult membership.

Most Christian scientists are just children of Christian scientists, it goes back through the generations. In my familes case it will die out with the death of my mother. All the other believers are dead.

To me it always was a great example of the power of the environment and your childhood shaping your beliefs.