Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Chief McHeath posted:

All Baptists should be hanged not sorry

Was raised baptist, can confirm that they are the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Randy Travesty posted:

Most "treatment programs" that are in any way faith-based could go under the umbrella.

This has somehow dredged up a bunch of memories that I was forced into christian "counseling"/"therapy" all it did was make me try to harm myself more.

Amazingly, once I got away from my "family" and religion, almost all my problems magically went away. Almost.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Mudlark posted:

Fuckin' word. Transitioning at the start of 2016 definitely served as the final sack tap I needed to finish my deconstruction in whole and my life's never been better :unsmigghh:

:glomp:

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Spinz posted:

I grew up and because of my mother I'm still all around the cult that is Christian Science. It's not Scientology, it's the whack job religion that doesn't believe in medicine, doctors, taking any drugs including caffeine, the germ theory of disease....

It was horrific growing up that way It definitely hosed me up for life

Anything at all wrong is ignored because God made everything and God is perfect so everything God made is perfect.

It's like pathological denial for everything

I was gonna always make a thread full of horror stories about it but I never did it's too depressing

But then the rise of anti vaxers occurred!!! it's just nuts because I remember Christian Science always being just a laughing stock of a religion---these people die instead of getting anything treated medically

Val Kilmer is probably the most famous Christian Scientist now and he did not get his throat cancer treated until he was at the brink of death and him doing so did absolutely go against the religion. I'm surprised he caved to be honest

Because of my mom's career which was involved in the religion I personally know of many people who died or were lame or disfigured from lack of medical treatment.

I've always hated this line of thinking amongst christians. Whelp god made you that way or he is punishing you for a reason, just live and die with it. All you can do is pray, and maybe if you believe hard enough he'll magically make it go away. If not, you didn't believe hard enough. You're a horrible person but it was god's will your faith would be weak because--

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Also, doesn't the children of god cult literally wack off with the family to jesus?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

I put an inverted pentagram sticker on our front door that reads, "Drink water, hail satan." No solicitations since.