Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

What is Lethal Company?

Lethal company is an indie game where you and your fellow Great Assets will get loot from completely safe moons and bring it back to the Company in order to meet your quota. If for some reason you don't meet your quota, you will get fired by the company and need to find other employment. Easiest thing in the world, right?

The loop of the game is that you land on moons that are filled with all sorts of dangers and access procedurally created facilities that have all sort of junk that you need to bring back to your ship. You can make this easier by buying equipment, including flashlights, walkie-talkies, shovels and morale-boosting boomboxes. Death both within and without of the facilities comes easy, however, and you will have to judge whetever it is better to keep going and brave the dangers in order to meet the quota, or make a hasty retreat back towards the ship, since dying without your body being retrieved by your team-mates carries your body back to the ship carries a financial penalty.

The nature of the game is that there are some jump scares are to be expected, but the game has some comedic undertones, with some of the enemies encountered being quite silly, even if they are lethally dangerous.

Features
- Play up to 4 players! Less than 4 can be done it is incredibly more dangerous and harder to get the loot you need to keep the company happy.
- Environmental audio/voice. The game has in-built distance-based voice comms that really add something to the game, especially when you use the walkie-talkies provided. Has your friend died or just wandered off? Who knows!
- Weight-based movement. The more you carry, the slower you move, and the less stamina you have, making the trip back to your ship more hazardous.
- Mission control! One player can decide to be lazy remain on the ship and help their team-mates by pointing them towards loot and away from enemies.
- Lots of stuff to buy! Waste your hard earned money by either buying necessary equipment or a toilet/television to decorate your ship.
- Day and Night cycle! Night, along with being darker, has dangers lurking around outside the facility as well as inside.
- Environmental hazards! Moons can be flooded, or have an eclipse, or thunderstorms, making them lethal even if you encounter no monsters.

What am I likely to meet?
I think the game is best experienced from a fresh slate, and finding out about the dangers and how to deal with them is part of the Lethal Company experience. I would therefore strongly suggest that you experience the game without spoiling yourself (and if you want to talk about a specific enemy, please use spoilers).

Why should I buy it?
The game is currently in Early Access and the developer has said that they will continue to develop it for 6 months. If you have a group of 4 friends (or more, if you use mods), this game will shine. It's possible to play with strangers as well but it's not the best experience. The game is only 10 dollars on steam and is blast to play, and is a great generator for silly encounters in which you will almost certainly die in new, creative ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
I saw a stream of this and it seems like a smart game for co-op groups. Kind of like Phasmophobia except there's actual fun gameplay, instead of just screaming in your mic. Probably gonna be all over Twitch.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Yeah it's been having a lot of traction on twitch, but I think there is enough there to give it some staying power. I've had some really fun moments in the game so far.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
This game is an amazing horror story generator. I’ve been playing strictly with randoms (look for room names that are even slightly clever), and it’s been a blast of sudden death, incredible escapes, and complete chaos. Some sort of head hugger got me, but it will die in sunlight, and my compadres got me 99% of the way to escaping by just yelling out directions while I blindly followed.

I still died, but it was an entertaining death. It’s only $10, give it a shot!

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

A bestie recommended this to me 2 weeks ago and we've been having a lot of fun with it. Gonna try mods out next week

My best moment so far was being chased out of one room by slime, directly into another room I then got chased out of by spider, directly into falling over a railing. All my friends heard was "no-...NO-...NO-!"

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Almost a little frustrating how hard it is to talk about because it works so well with everyone going in as blind as possible.
Definitely use the in-game comms even/especially with friends, though, it contributes so much to the experience.

Minor gameplay tips that can help out from early on, not too hard to figure out through experimentation and learning, though:
- The outdoor maps will always have the same layouts, so once you've learned how to get to the doors and back, overland navigation shouldn't be too much of a hassle provided optimal conditions.
- The ship's computer can be used to open/shut security doors inside, and even momentarily disable turrets. It's a bit tricky for one person, though, since you have to type in the codes manually which means shifting between surveying the cameras and fiddling at the console.
- Keys are all-purpose but single-use. You can store spares and move them between moons, but they do take up precious item slots.
- You don't have to sell all your scrap at once if you don't want to - you only need to sell enough to meet quota; particularly bountiful hauls can leave you with excess value you can put towards the next quota (as long as you don't lose all your scrap for some reason...)
- The bestiary on the computer can bee helpful!

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I think my favourite moments so far were both concerning one particular enemy:
We had one situation where our mission control person suddenly stopped responding: an eyeless dog had gotten him, and his last words were basically "okay, you want to go left here and..." followed by static, and we kept asking him if he was dead on our walkie-talkies before collectively deciding that he was, indeed, dead.
The second time we were all coming back to the ship after getting loot, and one of us got killed by an eyeless dog, so I decided to try and see if I could recover their loot and body, left all my equipment in the ship and sneaked out towards the body, making sure not to make a single sound on my open microphone. The eyeless dog literally went 2 meters in front of me, but I managed to get everything before sneaking back, coming back to the ship hearing my team-mates saying "Yeah Tekopo is definitely dead" before making a last minute dash to the ship and shouting for them to start the ship.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
https://twitter.com/icantlisten117/status/1725278509604503812

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
This game is badass. They made phasmophobia into a fun videogame

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I think what really sells the game for me is the proximity audio, which for all the janky stuff that the game has, it's incredibly well implemented. Big rooms will make you echo, the walkie-talkie sounds distinct (and forces you to use the item to actually reply back), if you are drowning or if the facehugger jumps on your head you will sound muffled. It's great.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Hogama posted:

- The ship's computer can be used to open/shut security doors inside, and even momentarily disable turrets. It's a bit tricky for one person, though, since you have to type in the codes manually which means shifting between surveying the cameras and fiddling at the console.

Type "View Monitor" on the PC. Then you can type things while watching people. You type switch to change cameras.

I'm not spoiling this because it legitimately bugs me that I've had to teach the last few groups i've played this, despite them all having played for weeks.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

game's good - If the developer doesn't change their mind on only supporting it for 6 months, I hope the modding community carries it onward.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
I feel the game shouldn't end after failing to meet your quota; currently it just pushes players to savescum if they want to keep messing with new toys/areas, or just restart the game early when the deadline looms too close. Ultimately the game does enough to punish poor performance with equipment/loot losses. Instead the company should inflict "remedial actions" on the group that are basically buffs disguised as horrible corporate meddling.

Dying 5 minutes into every mission? How about a cloning machine that effectively gives everyone an "extra life" at the cost of horrible mutations (and forced servitude to the company beyond your natural lifespan)?

Audit finds that valuable resources keep getting devoured by the wildlife? We've taken the liberty of altering your crew's rations so we can ensure that the first time a giant snacks on a teammate will also be their LAST (try not to worry about all the teeth falling out of your mouth after every meal).

"Getting launched into the great void of space" should still remain as a (voluntary) means of ending the run, though.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

to be clear i think what the dev actually said was they planned for it to stay in early access for 6 months :v:

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Mix. posted:

to be clear i think what the dev actually said was they planned for it to stay in early access for 6 months :v:

oh, that's a relief!!

By the way, speaking of the overall game loop- what's the best/fastest way to start a new run if you are on day 0 and you aren't going to make quota? Without starting a new file, so we can keep our logs/bestiary progress? Kinda sucks to wait for effectively a 3 minute cutscene where you land somewhere, immediately launch back up, then wait for the rest of the run restart experience to happen.

Ruzihm fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Nov 27, 2023

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Video link since it's a spoiler

The sense of timing on this video is perfect :discourse:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Played for 15 minutes. One died from falling off a catwalk, one straight-up disappeared, I got eaten by a bug and the last one fell in to a pit running from the same bug.

A++++++++++++

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Had a manor interior on Assurance I didn't know that could happen.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Ruzihm posted:

oh, that's a relief!!

By the way, speaking of the overall game loop- what's the best/fastest way to start a new run if you are on day 0 and you aren't going to make quota? Without starting a new file, so we can keep our logs/bestiary progress? Kinda sucks to wait for effectively a 3 minute cutscene where you land somewhere, immediately launch back up, then wait for the rest of the run restart experience to happen.

And I found a mod that seems to do this! https://thunderstore.io/c/lethal-company/p/AllToasters/QuickRestart/

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

Had a manor interior on Assurance I didn't know that could happen.
Some people think this is a bug and it shouldn't be possible. Did you get monsters that you usually would only expect on the harder moons?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I've heard it's just random chance, too, though, and it's basically just super low chance outside the paid moons, to inevitably mess with some players who are sticking to the "safe" moons. Not sure what's more likely.

I have seen what is a bug, though - one player getting desynced on the interior loading and basically "going through walls" from the others' perspectives because they have a completely different layout.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Played my first couple games tonight, pretty fun, do think it is maybe just a touch too easy to get horrifyingly lost and the platforming needs some work, also not sure if it's intentional or something screwed up but the graphics can get a bit wonky at times(and the game doesn't let you really change any settings aside from light level and screen size)

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I taught some friends how to play last night and we had some really funny moments, where a bracken got the two experienced players, the other three didn't know what it was and just saw the blood.

I'm on the ship with the walkie trying to guide them all, none of them pick it up because they're so scared. So good

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

We had three people try to shovel a bracken once and it didn’t take long for us to die, leaving our Mission Control person to fruitlessly shout on the radio if anyone was left alive. Those moments are really funny.

Greader
Oct 11, 2012

ChickenHeart posted:

I feel the game shouldn't end after failing to meet your quota; currently it just pushes players to savescum if they want to keep messing with new toys/areas, or just restart the game early when the deadline looms too close. Ultimately the game does enough to punish poor performance with equipment/loot losses. Instead the company should inflict "remedial actions" on the group that are basically buffs disguised as horrible corporate meddling.

Dying 5 minutes into every mission? How about a cloning machine that effectively gives everyone an "extra life" at the cost of horrible mutations (and forced servitude to the company beyond your natural lifespan)?

Audit finds that valuable resources keep getting devoured by the wildlife? We've taken the liberty of altering your crew's rations so we can ensure that the first time a giant snacks on a teammate will also be their LAST (try not to worry about all the teeth falling out of your mouth after every meal).

"Getting launched into the great void of space" should still remain as a (voluntary) means of ending the run, though.

Yeah, my main group of friends I play games with got a bit soured when our last run ended with All three of us dying on the last day of the quota, meaning we lost all of the scrap we had on our ship as well and got to choose between "Go through all the trouble of landing and taking off to activate the game over" or "Exit out and start a new save". I suppose currently it is meant as a sorta Don't Starve Together-esque game where how long you survive is your high score and it adds some degree of "We gotta go back in, or else we are not hitting the quota", but I kinda hope they add an option to turn it off or something in the future.

That said, when the is good it is pretty good. Still remember my first excursion into a building, exploring in the dark with a friend without even a flashlight and then turning around the corner of a pitch-black corridor to only see a pair of glowing eyes further ahead. Or the time I was a bit too eager to sell scrap when landing at the company building and I jumped out the moment the hatch opens as we landed, throwing myself and a bunch of scrap into the uncaring sea :v:

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Something like dynamic deadlines might be more your speed then:
https://thunderstore.io/c/lethal-company/p/Krayken/DynamicDeadline/

Basically increases the amount of days you have proportional to how much you have to get, meaning it's more about getting consistent runs.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I kinda wish that you didn't get a penalty for someone being an idiot and ringing the bell too many times.

I mean, technically the company does have possession of the body...

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

You don't even need to ring the bell, just talking nearby gets them to take the items.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Tekopo posted:

Some people think this is a bug and it shouldn't be possible. Did you get monsters that you usually would only expect on the harder moons?

We didn't but we've been lucky on our Dine runs and also not had the tougher enemies spawn though our last Dine run had pretty high density for spawns. We have seen a few coilheads on the easier moons though.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Greader posted:

That said, when the is good it is pretty good. Still remember my first excursion into a building, exploring in the dark with a friend without even a flashlight and then turning around the corner of a pitch-black corridor to only see a pair of glowing eyes further ahead. Or the time I was a bit too eager to sell scrap when landing at the company building and I jumped out the moment the hatch opens as we landed, throwing myself and a bunch of scrap into the uncaring sea :v:
I remember that last part: "Wait, where's Greader? Did he jump off? DID HE TAKE ANY LOOT?"

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Step 1: identify mine

Step 2: carefully negotiate way past mine.

step 3: see spider

step 4: run screaming back over mine, killing myself and two other people

game good.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Wish they did multi-packs for this because I have a few friends I'd love to play this with but I've surpassed my quota for peer pressuring them into buying games for the year.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

explosivo posted:

Wish they did multi-packs for this because I have a few friends I'd love to play this with but I've surpassed my quota for peer pressuring them into buying games for the year.

Steam has entirely removed multi packs for many years now afaik.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Saw a wild sequence from deathcam:
Guy backed away from a coil-head into a stairwell, a thumper ambushes him from behind so he jumps over the railing downstairs and books it, trying to stop to turn around but a snare flea drops right behind him and as he backs up more from that a turret activates so he keeps running and crouching and like, the coil-head is vibrating behind him as he comes to an open room... where there's another turret behind the door and a second coil-head waiting.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Hogama posted:

Saw a wild sequence from deathcam:
Guy backed away from a coil-head into a stairwell, a thumper ambushes him from behind so he jumps over the railing downstairs and books it, trying to stop to turn around but a snare flea drops right behind him and as he backs up more from that a turret activates so he keeps running and crouching and like, the coil-head is vibrating behind him as he comes to an open room... where there's another turret behind the door and a second coil-head waiting.

https://i.imgur.com/Kq1fYXN.mp4

This is still the funniest chain of deaths I've seen.

Where are ya'll finding groups btw, the coop discord has a role for it but there's not been much activity.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
Man I really like the community in game so far. Maybe it’s because I try to pick even slightly clever room names to join, but it’s been a nice mix of people

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I love how not even the ship is guaranteed safety.

I tend to play with the same group in a lot of games, and this is no exception; we're learning the ins-and-outs of how things work and taking turns on operating the terminal to monitor progress and guide the rest of the salvage team through the halls to find scrap/avoid hazards, then after about 40 or so minutes of play with the usual back and forth over the radio, things change in a way nobody was expecting -- mission control suddenly goes completely silent about 2 minutes into a salvage run and none of us can work out why.

Making it back to the ship and only finding a discarded radio next to the terminal?

:allears:

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
I love this loving game

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

I love how not even the ship is guaranteed safety.

I tend to play with the same group in a lot of games, and this is no exception; we're learning the ins-and-outs of how things work and taking turns on operating the terminal to monitor progress and guide the rest of the salvage team through the halls to find scrap/avoid hazards, then after about 40 or so minutes of play with the usual back and forth over the radio, things change in a way nobody was expecting -- mission control suddenly goes completely silent about 2 minutes into a salvage run and none of us can work out why.

Making it back to the ship and only finding a discarded radio next to the terminal?

:allears:
Yeah, it's one of the reasons why I think that some of the monster design in this terminal is really quite smart, since one of the monsters in the game has been directly designed to make mission control a lot more risky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
All my IRL and Steam friends are too boring to play this, I'm looking for some people to play with