Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
At this price, I simply don’t understand this. I will pay $10 for 3 hours of howling laughter and watching friends get surprised and freaked out out any time. I won’t do that for a $50 game, but for a tenner? I’ll take a flyer any time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

SeaborneClink posted:

All my IRL and Steam friends are too boring to play this, I'm looking for some people to play with

Check out the goon coop discord under #co-op_scares

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Just gave this a shot today and dang, this game is very fun. Even having some of the monsters spoiled for me it's still spooky as all hell, and incredibly tense.

Enderzero posted:

At this price, I simply don’t understand this. I will pay $10 for 3 hours of howling laughter and watching friends get surprised and freaked out out any time. I won’t do that for a $50 game, but for a tenner? I’ll take a flyer any time

Genuinely would have a hard time finding a better use of 10 dollars right now, and the dev is only going to keep adding stuff.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
One of the biggest strengths of this game is that the enemy AI is perfect for making spooky and/or funny moments happen even if you know exactly how all of them work. Brackens will still make people suddenly disappear, Coil Heads will still make you tense as hell, and Hoarding Bugs are just one of the funniest enemies I've seen in a game, I love them. I do wish there were creature-to-creature interactions though, it'd make them feel even more alive.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Going to spoiler this just incase:

I can't recall the planet but it's one of the 'early' ones. I don't know if the game bugged out on us or something but while Mr Sensible stayed behind as mission control, us other three plebs went hiking across a lovely old rickety bridge -- CRASH! -- down we go. We found the Fire Exit (it's located at the base of the concrete bridge opposite the lovely one, which would otherwise lead to the regular entrance) and felt we had no choice but to try that instead. Anyway, we all pile in thinking 'metal walkways and industrial crap' as usual, only to be greeted by a some luxury mansion interior.

Instantly spooked. Nothing good ever comes from these places in a horror game.

Creep around looking out for the usual lurking Brackens and those loving things that drop onto your head if you don't pay attention, when there's this loud noise none of us recognise. I click on the flashlight and there's this busted-up Incredible Crash Dummy-looking motherfucker standing in a doorway about 10ft ahead, head on a 3ft spring. Completely motionless. Everyone just loving freezes not knowing what it is or what to do about it.

Mission control says "oh that's a Coil Head, don't look away from it" and I howl down the microphone like I've just stapled my nuts to the chair, because not only am I alone in seeing this thing with no idea how to get back to the door without breaking visual contact, but everyone else has audibly hosed off back to the planet surface. You know who your friends are...

I wish I'd screenshotted it but by the time I found the door by backing away slowly, Crash Dummy was within spitting distance and I was barely able to look toward the door enough and escape without him springing (hurrr) into action. It was also 8PM outside :buddy:

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Pigbuster posted:

I do wish there were creature-to-creature interactions though, it'd make them feel even more alive.

For now, I hear that baboon hawks making noise will get into fights with eyeless dogs. But yea

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

I can't recall the planet but it's one of the 'early' ones. I don't know if the game bugged out on us or something but while Mr Sensible stayed behind as mission control, us other three plebs went hiking across a lovely old rickety bridge -- CRASH! -- down we go. We found the Fire Exit (it's located at the base of the concrete bridge opposite the lovely one, which would otherwise lead to the regular entrance) and felt we had no choice but to try that instead. Anyway, we all pile in thinking 'metal walkways and industrial crap' as usual, only to be greeted by a some luxury mansion interior.

Creep around looking out for the usual lurking Brackens and those loving things that drop onto your head if you don't pay attention, when there's this loud noise none of us recognise. I click on the flashlight and there's this busted-up Incredible Crash Dummy-looking motherfucker standing in a doorway about 10ft ahead, head on a 3ft spring. Completely motionless. Everyone just loving freezes not knowing what it is or what to do about it.

Mission control says "oh that's a Coil Head, don't look away from it" and I howl down the microphone like I've just stapled my nuts to the chair, because not only am I alone in seeing this thing with no idea how to get back to the door without breaking visual contact, but everyone else has audibly hosed off back to the planet surface. You know who your friends are...

I wish I'd screenshotted it but by the time I found the door by backing away slowly, Crash Dummy was within spitting distance and I was barely able to look toward the door enough and escape without him springing (hurrr) into action. It was also 8PM outside :buddy:

I love those moments when you meet new enemies, it rules.

I think the best enemy if you are you in a group that has no idea what is going on is (BIG SPOILERS, DO NOT CLICK IF YOU WANT TO HAVE A COOL EXPERIENCE) the Red Girl, because having a monster that you, and only you can see, and that insta-kills you leads to some great moments when you and your group meet her for the first time. Everyone else thinks that the person being haunted is making it up, because they can't see anything even though the guy is saying "it's right THERE", and it ends with the haunted person's head exploding all of a sudden. Seriously the best experience in the game.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

That's Vow by the way - the "main" bridge collapses if more than two players are on it at the same time or if you're too loaded up coming back.

Tekopo posted:

I love those moments when you meet new enemies, it rules.

I think the best enemy if you are you in a group that has no idea what is going on is (BIG SPOILERS, DO NOT CLICK IF YOU WANT TO HAVE A COOL EXPERIENCE) the Red Girl, because having a monster that you, and only you can see, and that insta-kills you leads to some great moments when you and your group meet her for the first time. Everyone else thinks that the person being haunted is making it up, because they can't see anything even though the guy is saying "it's right THERE", and it ends with the haunted person's head exploding all of a sudden. Seriously the best experience in the game.

We had our first encounter with one of those and the player who haunted came back to me at the ship and I moved the storage locker so he was inside of it which I guess saves you.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

There's a visual effect that happens if you see a crewmate die, does that do anything or is it just to imply that the person inside the suit's freaking out?

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Got to introduce some more friends to this game; seeing people's first reactions to creatures never gets old, as does gaslighting them at the turn-in counter.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

"Yeah just keep pressing the bell!"

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

RareAcumen posted:

There's a visual effect that happens if you see a crewmate die, does that do anything or is it just to imply that the person inside the suit's freaking out?
I don't think it's exclusive to seeing someone die; I've had that effect happen after two of us jumped up on some railings and used shovels to beat the poo poo out of a Thumper until it stopped moving. I think it's just a way to show the stress of the situation.

Tekopo posted:

"Yeah just keep pressing the bell!"
lmao

Guess I'll be telling the next new guy to "stare at the Bracken until it blinks".

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Had a pretty good session today. Had a bit on March where I got narrowly munched by a head crab, made a tricky jump to the exit, stepped out in March and died due to quicksand. A++ would die again.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Groovelord Neato posted:

That's Vow by the way - the "main" bridge collapses if more than two players are on it at the same time or if you're too loaded up coming back.

fun fact, you don't need to be loaded with stuff or have more than one player
if you're on the bridge at all its durability goes down each server tick, there's an additional carry weight-based penalty if you're carrying anything larger than a flashlight
on the plus side if everyone's off the bridge it ticks back up to full durability over time. also the forest giants have their own special bridge durability penalty if they're on it

RareAcumen posted:

in the game code it's called fearLevel which is separate from insanity
as far as effects it's
almost entirely just screen effects. the one thing is that if you've got more than 40% fear you can't rearrange the ship furniture

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Too scared to redecorate

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.
just had a complete wipe because of a turret staring directly at the main entrance lol

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Never realised that corpses can actually be sold for 5 each, but you have to kill the people at Company. Are you 15 dollars or less behind on quota and have a shovel? Let the battle royale begin!

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Wow I loving hate these things and they are absolutely loving bugged in co-op.

This POS was a fair bit up the hallway but decided to just turn around and do some quickstep shuffle horseshit in my direction for a moment as my bud passed by. Never mind the fact that I was looking straight at him to, you know, stop him from loving moving?

Not pictured: A second one of these game-ending dickholes lurking just behind the "star" of the photo, and a third which had turbo-dashed his way up to the party and stopped right behind me. And these things are supposed to be a rare monster? Fuuuuuuck off.

Mission control zapped me and my bud the gently caress out of there because it was just not going to end well. Unfortunately for us the time was closing on 10PM so collecting any scrap from outside the main door wasn't even remotely possible; as a result all three of us got blown out into space.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
The bestiary mentions that it's not a hard and fast rule that they don't move when you look at them.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

You even have items that make loud, annoying sounds.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Oh hey here's some actual news/teasers from the dev.
https://twitter.com/ZeekerssRBLX/status/1733580581571822027

Edit: Also this is amazing. (Small content warning: the arachnophobia mode is turned off at the end of the video for comparison's sake.)
https://twitter.com/iiykoyo/status/1733585435157319708

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
the new stuff added in the update is so good

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

My friends were briefly into the idea of playing this so I bought it as a sign of intent and then they all clammed up and didn't :mad:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

hughesta posted:

Didn't get a chance to try it out yet but it looks good from the trailer provided, excited to see new things!

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Update silly but good. Already has a few fun interactions with the champaing bottle.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0vxUx5m12A

Had a dramatic moment involving turning off a steam vent lol

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Wow I loving hate these things

Dunno if it's relevant to your situation, but it seems to me that they only care if you can see a very certain position inside the center of their collider, which means that if there's something like a railing covering their torso at just the right position, they will be able to freely move along the railing so long as it covers that position as they move along it. This means that they will outright chase people down catwalks even if someone's looking at them from the side of/below the catwalk.

Culka
May 20, 2007
Nothing

hughesta posted:

Spoiler for new stuff: my first encounter with the masks was great. As we were leaving the mansion type location on Rend I checked everyone was able to come out. 1, 2, 3, 4... wait, who's that fourth one? And what's that mask? Umm... everyone run! Barely made it to the ship, constantly hearing footsteps somewhere behind me.

Nothing could go through the entrance doors before. The fact that they look friendly on the ship screen is really "fun", too.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Culka posted:

Spoiler for new stuff: my first encounter with the masks was great. As we were leaving the mansion type location on Rend I checked everyone was able to come out. 1, 2, 3, 4... wait, who's that fourth one? And what's that mask? Umm... everyone run! Barely made it to the ship, constantly hearing footsteps somewhere behind me.

Nothing could go through the entrance doors before. The fact that they look friendly on the ship screen is really "fun", too.

I have a friend who likes to hide behind stuff to try and freak people out. I turned around and saw the shuffle behind a bookcase, said "yo, i can see you, rear end in a top hat".

It charged at me. I killed it, there was more. I did not kill them.

Also, there's a bug with the new enemy. my body got teleported back, but it had been mask'd so it attacked the people in the ship. They dealt with it, but then tried to teleport me back again by accident. On the death cam, I saw myself teleport in, but they couldn't see it, so it hung around for a bit and then instakilled someone who couldn't actually see it

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Culka posted:

The mask is hilarious. We were all dicking around the ship before leaving and one of us threw it on. We were all pointing and laughing at him until he grabbed one of us and starting spewing blood out of his mouth. We all nope'd the gently caress out and started the ship, leaving them behind.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
tbh the only thing I don't like about that new enemy is the instantkill. They seem to occasionally just walk through shovel hits and not give a poo poo, but other times they'll get knocked back. It's a little inconsistent.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I think a fast acting teammate can wack them like a snare flea to save you, since the instant kill takes a moment to happen. At least I think that's what I saw.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Hogama posted:

Oh hey here's some actual news/teasers from the dev.
https://twitter.com/ZeekerssRBLX/status/1733580581571822027

Edit: Also this is amazing. (Small content warning: the arachnophobia mode is turned off at the end of the video for comparison's sake.)
https://twitter.com/iiykoyo/status/1733585435157319708

im curious: are there a lot of people who want to play what is essentially a horror game and get scared, but dont wanna be scared in the very specific way they would be if they saw a spider

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Verviticus posted:

im curious: are there a lot of people who want to play what is essentially a horror game and get scared, but dont wanna be scared in the very specific way they would be if they saw a spider

From what I understand, it's more for people with actual neurological phobia conditions than just people who go "ew spider spooky"

Like the kind of folks who get full on panic attacks and stuff like that.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
since ive never had a phobia i cant really just map it onto a spectrum of 0-10 scared, with 0 being unaware and 10 being in perfect terror, but i feel like if a scary video game could get me above a 3 id just set it to 10 because thats the kind of experience im looking for in that game

i dont want to minimize phobias i guess but it still sorta strikes me as odd in an actual horror game. a game like grounded or whatever i get

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
phobic reactions aren’t the fun kind of scary by most accounts. you don’t want to have a panic attack in the middle of watching/playing something, if only because it’s very impolite towards anyone else in the room

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Verviticus posted:

I just think a lot of devs do it because its funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
My god, when this game is good, it is goooood. Had a really good crew. 3 of us onsite, 1 in the ship.

In one of the industrial rooms with a long void in it, we got trapped in a long dead end protected by a landmine by a slow blob and an oncoming thumper. I knew what I had to do; we had met quota and they had some good scrap.

So when the blob and thumper crossed the land mine I ran and took a bullet for the team.

But the thumper…kept making noise. No movement. But a low, thunderous sound. My teammates, understandably, were nervous and circled the beast.

Suddenly it stood up, seemingly restored to full power and proceeded to eat their asses.

The lone survivor took off, preserving our precious credits