Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

:stonk:

I hate that counter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Oh poo poo, he did it

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Serves you right for trying to House of Torture this, Brookes :colbert:

:negative:

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Expecting Ueno and Higuchi to go all out in the main because neither man knows how to set limits

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ueno surely has to win this, given it's his first match (?) since winning the title, and it's against a former World Champion.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Jerusalem posted:

Ueno surely has to win this, given it's his first match (?) since winning the title, and it's against a former World Champion.

First singles match, yeah, but he has also won and lost the Heavymetalweight belt since Ultimate Party

He also came out for a tag match the other week with the wrong belt, he grabbed MAO's Universal belt by mistake

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SG Bamboo posted:

He also came out for a tag match the other week with the wrong belt, he grabbed MAO's Universal belt by mistake

Amazing :allears:

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Jesus christ those chops :stonk:

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Flying through the air with the greatest of ease

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Ueno is taking every shot the final boss of DDT can throw, Higuchi might have to resort to the headbutts soon

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

FUCKIN DID IT

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Hell yeah Ueno, solidify your hold at the top!

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

And now there's a whole week until the next lot of block matches :negative:

At least Shunma appears to be back in ring shape

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
i have basically not managed to watch ddt this year (with huge apologies to chris brookes and saki akai, who are two of my favorite wrestlers and yet i just did not manage to make time for their respective championship reign and retirement tour :negative:), so i'm hoping this will be a good time to jump back in

stuff being uploaded on delay is ok because i'm trying to get in a better habit of watching VOD wrestling, this year i was so just "i will watch whatever's on right now" and because i've finally gotten a grip on my insomnia, this unfortunately means i have not seen much japanese wrestling

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

first impressions:

- mao is the only skinny wrestler who can make big pants look good in 2023
- gently caress yes i love seeing hirata have singles matches that dude always brings it
- never seen yukio naya before and he's like if okada and evil had a teleportation accident. i dont know if i actually like him yet but excited to see more matches
- there's a lotta big boys in this tournament!! i like seeing yuki iino be normal again and rei saito seems ok, at least a step above like bad luck fale

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Day two starts in an hour and a half, MAO vs Chris should be rad. Sad I won't be able to watch it live but will update the table tonight once i've watched it

quote:

12pm JST/2pm AEDT/3am GMT/11pm EST/8pm PST

DDT D-Oh Grand Prix Night 3
Shinjuku FACE, Tokyo
Akito, HARASHIMA, Takeshi Masada & Toi Kojima vs Jun Akiyama, Makoto Oishi, Rukiya & Yusuke Okada
Demus & KANON vs Kazuma Sumi & MIKAMI
D-Oh GP A Block: Daisuke Sasaki vs Yuki Ueno
D-Oh GP A Block: Tetsuya Endo vs Yuki Iino
D-Oh GP B Block: Chris Brookes vs MAO
D-Oh GP B Block: Kazuki Hirata vs Yukio Naya

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Watching, but they're gonna struggle to follow that Danielson/Kingston match on Collision, good Lord.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

This poor kid getting a lesson from Uncle Jun :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Crowd was fully into that but Ueno should have beaten Sasaki, not gone to a draw :colbert:

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
Holy poo poo

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Now hold on a second, many of these wrestlers wrestling in the ring are NOT Chris Brookes OR MAO! :aaa:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Downing a full cup of beer in the middle of a wrestling match can NOT be a good idea!

Edit: MAO you fucker :lol:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ahaha that was perfectly executed (the 4 hours between "14!" and "15!" notwithstanding)

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
That was absolutely loving wild.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

- Naya/Hirata was fun
- Iino seems to be getting back in the swing of being a hoss
- Really didn't need to see a Sasaki match end in a TLD, especially to the champ
- Main event certainly had it's moments, but it didn't have me cackling like the last D-Oh match these guys had. MAO breaking the count while strapped to a table and Chris calmly setting him up for a diving attack (while MAO won't stop shouting at him not to do it) was ace

All in all a solid show but nothing i'd tell people is worth the time expense unless you already like the people involved

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

why does yukio naya have the worst loving gear i have ever seen in my life when he's 6'7" and seems very good at wrestling

i know i already made a joke about this but every time i see him i am befuddled

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

jesus christ someone needs to force tetsuya endo to eat a carb this is distracting

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

WHAT THE gently caress WAS THAT FINISHER HARASHIMA YOU KILLED THAT GUY

ok night 2 with a fantastic main event, gonna watch night 3 before the weekend

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Dec 5, 2023

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Oh wow, I completely blanked on night 2, must have internalised it as a pretaped show then completely forgot about it when night three was the next day. Will have to watch it tonight before work

abraham linksys posted:

why does yukio naya have the worst loving gear i have ever seen in my life when he's 6'7" and seems very good at wrestling

It's baffling, he looks good in a suit or in a singlet and jeans but his regular gear has been garbage as long as I've been watching

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Caught up and updated the table in the OP, everyone's still clumped together in A block after two matches. B Block is a bit more divided, although Saito and KANON have a match down on the others. The only person eliminated is Hirata (and maybe Chris depending on how the tiebreakers are being run this year), both Saito and KANON can finish above Naya if they win out and he loses his last two while MAO is still in with a shot if he's able to get past the as yet undefeated Naya

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

ah, i would have warned you you missed night 2 except i hadn't looked at the table yet since i didnt want to be spoiled on night 3. thought maybe you just skipped it live and didn't have any thoughts!

my night 3 thoughts now that im caught up:

* hirata vs naya delivered on everything i wanted, hirata mvp of this tournament so far
* iino vs endo was ok, i did like the whole thing of endo just letting iino tire himself out, risky strategy given how endo's previous match went
* when yuki ueno vs daisuke sasaki started with an hour and a half left in the show, i thought, weird, they must be putting an intermission before the main for some reason. no. instead, the slowest loving match ive ever seen in my life. the pacing of a raw main event, except you have to actually watch the heat segments that are normally during commercials. i hate daisuke sasaki with all my life now
* the main made up for it tho, i fuckin screamed when honda tripped pushing chris

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Updated the points table in the OP to reflect today's show, which unfortunately isn't going up on Universe until the 12th

In terms of block results:
- Saito beat Hirata
- KANON beat Naya
- Higuchi beat HARASHIMA
- Endo beat Ueno

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SG Bamboo posted:

Updated the points table in the OP to reflect today's show, which unfortunately isn't going up on Universe until the 12th

In terms of block results:
- Endo beat Ueno

Jesus loving Christ, he's the brand new Champion who finally made it it after years of not being able to beat the top guys, a draw against Sasaki and a loss to Endo is not what should be happening right now! :argh:

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Jerusalem posted:

Jesus loving Christ, he's the brand new Champion who finally made it it after years of not being able to beat the top guys, a draw against Sasaki and a loss to Endo is not what should be happening right now! :argh:

Looks like Endo debuted a new finisher to beat him, so at least we'll likely have Ueno showing he knows how to counter it when Endo inveitably challenges (and hopefully loses)

But yeah, certainly agree about Sasaki. That match was dire

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Watching the matches from the ninth and the finish to the main event didn't really come across as a new finisher to me, more like a flash pin during a period where Ueno was dominating and Endo pulled one last trick out of his hat that Ueno got tripped up by, no doubt once they have a singles rematch Ueno will show he's moved past such tactics.

Still no excuse about the Sasaki match though.

HARSHIMA still rules, the Higuchi match was rad

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Updated the table to account for Nights 5 and 6 which, sigh, were taped and will be online in a few days.

Results:
Night 5
- Hirata beat Brookes
- Saito beat KANON
- Higuchi beat Iino
- Ueno beat HARASHIMA
- Sasaki beat Endo

Night 6
- Sasaki beat Iino
- MAO beat KANON

Only one Block night left, a week from today on Christmas Eve
- Iino vs Ueno
- HARASHIMA vs Sasaki
- Higuchi vs Endo
- Naya vs MAO
- Saito vs Brookes

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

very sad to see Chris Brookes is in the hospital for surgery on a (thankfully benign) tumor. I might spend the holidays watching back some of his DDT matches from this year that I didn't catch :(

catching up on the tournament, just finished the Osaka (Night 4) show. crowd was really quiet for this one, but I was glad they woke up for the main event, which ruled. scattered thoughts:

* Hirata continues to be MVP of this whole thing. I just found out about the Hirata vs Hiromu match from Ultimate Party so I'm gonna watch that later
* Yukio Naya vs KANON was not good and I still do not think I "get" either wrestler
* I like Eruption so I got excited for the tag, but oof, maybe the match the most hurt by the crowd on this show. Really felt like it never picked up.
* Higuchi vs HARASHIMA was a really cool little match. partially due to the dead crowd the ending felt like it came out of nowhere, but it made sense once I thought about it given how hard hitting it had been
* main event totally kicked rear end, no notes

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Fukuoka thoughts

* turns out adding 100 people to the crowd makes it feel a lot more lively than Osaka, even when it's still overall sleepy
* shockingly good university pro wrestling club opening match; I have no idea what the gently caress a university pro wrestling match club is or why the guy in a Tiger Mask costume was at least 35 years old but I had fun
* need to see more Vent Vert Jack immediately, that tag match had more fire than any other tag match on this tour. shout outs Akito who really should have been in this tournament if they had a couple more open spots
* why do Toy Kojima's trunks say "URW -> MCY" on them
* Chris ended his tournament on a hell of a match. I hope when he returns he is entered into a blood feud with Hirata, ideally with some sort of Tokyo Go Deathmatch stipulation
* Higuchi vs Iino was good, nice to watch a beef match that didn't have the crowd chanting "meat" along with every chop for the first time in 2023
* Harashima still good as hell and I really wish they'd just run Harashima vs Tanahashi again instead of all this NJPW vs NOAH stuff
* Sasaki vs Endo was actually pretty drat good and I wish Sasaki had shown a tenth of that interest in the Ueno draw

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Kumamoto thoughts:

* have to assume this guy in a suit at the top and presenting the wrestlers with crates of fruit in the main is a local politician? good job getting DDT to your town, weird guy. too bad you couldn't win the Iron Man Heavymetalweight like past local politicians at DDT shows, but there's always next time
* this venue is one of those fullbright flourescent situations like lovely indies run a lot, but somehow this is the first time I have EVER seen a camera correctly white-balanced for a venue like this, so it ended up looking fine. maybe being a single-camera show makes it easier!
* undercard tags were fun, Hirata got the biggest face heat of the night as he drat well should
* I liked Sasaki vs Iino way more than I expected. Sasaki is much more fun to watch when he's aggressively heeling, dude should just start going at Toru Yano speed instead of his usual speed of "what if Tetsuya Naito forgot how to wrestle"
* MAO vs KANON was... fine? It had some fun mirror-match stuff. I still fundamentally do not understand KANON
* The tag main is a good time and I will always enjoy the crowd rallying around a lower-card hometown hero

All caught up now. Dramatic DDT breaks down the blocks with Chris out: https://dramaticddt.wordpress.com/2023/12/21/brookes-to-get-surgery-d-oh-paths-to-the-final/

B Block: MAO not getting to be in contendership with Chris out sucks - if Chris spoiled Saito, MAO could have made it to the final with a win, if I understand the math right.

Now it's down to Yukio Naya or Rei Saito. I guess I hope it's Naya because I have been bored as hell with him so far this tournament but he seems to have the most potential, whereas I think I have fully seen Rei Saito's ceiling as a singles competitor, and it is "well, at least he's slightly more mobile than the average big guy."

A Block is still exciting at least! Anyone's tournament there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Only watching the block matches since i'm rapidly running out of time before the final block matches tomorrow.
- Hirata vs Brookes rocked, knowing Hirata won I was kind of hoping that the rollup at the beginning would end the match, but the match we got was really good. I will never tire of Tokyo Go spots
- KANON vs Saito was...fine. Rei works so much better with his brother and while Kanon shows flashes of something more unfortunately they're not as common as I was hoping when he became a regular member of the roster
- Strong Hino is getting his mojo back this tournament, it's great to see. Higuchi is Higuchi, he doesn't have bad matches
- HARASHIMA rules. Had a big laugh when he pinned Ueno after the meteora and Ueno was like halfway out of the ring
- I enjoyed the ending of Endo vs Sasaki, but was checked out for a large portion of the middle of the match. Sasaki does little for me as a singles guy, bring back the days where he was tagging with Yuji Hino

- Got a good laugh out of Iino's not sexy elbow and enjoyed this Sasaki match more than the main event of the last show
- MAO vs KANON had some very cool sequences, not up there with the top matches from these shows but better than Kanon's match with Rei Saito on Night 5

Very happy the show tomorrow is live