Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
i have basically not managed to watch ddt this year (with huge apologies to chris brookes and saki akai, who are two of my favorite wrestlers and yet i just did not manage to make time for their respective championship reign and retirement tour :negative:), so i'm hoping this will be a good time to jump back in

stuff being uploaded on delay is ok because i'm trying to get in a better habit of watching VOD wrestling, this year i was so just "i will watch whatever's on right now" and because i've finally gotten a grip on my insomnia, this unfortunately means i have not seen much japanese wrestling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

first impressions:

- mao is the only skinny wrestler who can make big pants look good in 2023
- gently caress yes i love seeing hirata have singles matches that dude always brings it
- never seen yukio naya before and he's like if okada and evil had a teleportation accident. i dont know if i actually like him yet but excited to see more matches
- there's a lotta big boys in this tournament!! i like seeing yuki iino be normal again and rei saito seems ok, at least a step above like bad luck fale

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

why does yukio naya have the worst loving gear i have ever seen in my life when he's 6'7" and seems very good at wrestling

i know i already made a joke about this but every time i see him i am befuddled

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

jesus christ someone needs to force tetsuya endo to eat a carb this is distracting

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

WHAT THE gently caress WAS THAT FINISHER HARASHIMA YOU KILLED THAT GUY

ok night 2 with a fantastic main event, gonna watch night 3 before the weekend

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Dec 5, 2023

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

ah, i would have warned you you missed night 2 except i hadn't looked at the table yet since i didnt want to be spoiled on night 3. thought maybe you just skipped it live and didn't have any thoughts!

my night 3 thoughts now that im caught up:

* hirata vs naya delivered on everything i wanted, hirata mvp of this tournament so far
* iino vs endo was ok, i did like the whole thing of endo just letting iino tire himself out, risky strategy given how endo's previous match went
* when yuki ueno vs daisuke sasaki started with an hour and a half left in the show, i thought, weird, they must be putting an intermission before the main for some reason. no. instead, the slowest loving match ive ever seen in my life. the pacing of a raw main event, except you have to actually watch the heat segments that are normally during commercials. i hate daisuke sasaki with all my life now
* the main made up for it tho, i fuckin screamed when honda tripped pushing chris

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

very sad to see Chris Brookes is in the hospital for surgery on a (thankfully benign) tumor. I might spend the holidays watching back some of his DDT matches from this year that I didn't catch :(

catching up on the tournament, just finished the Osaka (Night 4) show. crowd was really quiet for this one, but I was glad they woke up for the main event, which ruled. scattered thoughts:

* Hirata continues to be MVP of this whole thing. I just found out about the Hirata vs Hiromu match from Ultimate Party so I'm gonna watch that later
* Yukio Naya vs KANON was not good and I still do not think I "get" either wrestler
* I like Eruption so I got excited for the tag, but oof, maybe the match the most hurt by the crowd on this show. Really felt like it never picked up.
* Higuchi vs HARASHIMA was a really cool little match. partially due to the dead crowd the ending felt like it came out of nowhere, but it made sense once I thought about it given how hard hitting it had been
* main event totally kicked rear end, no notes

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Fukuoka thoughts

* turns out adding 100 people to the crowd makes it feel a lot more lively than Osaka, even when it's still overall sleepy
* shockingly good university pro wrestling club opening match; I have no idea what the gently caress a university pro wrestling match club is or why the guy in a Tiger Mask costume was at least 35 years old but I had fun
* need to see more Vent Vert Jack immediately, that tag match had more fire than any other tag match on this tour. shout outs Akito who really should have been in this tournament if they had a couple more open spots
* why do Toy Kojima's trunks say "URW -> MCY" on them
* Chris ended his tournament on a hell of a match. I hope when he returns he is entered into a blood feud with Hirata, ideally with some sort of Tokyo Go Deathmatch stipulation
* Higuchi vs Iino was good, nice to watch a beef match that didn't have the crowd chanting "meat" along with every chop for the first time in 2023
* Harashima still good as hell and I really wish they'd just run Harashima vs Tanahashi again instead of all this NJPW vs NOAH stuff
* Sasaki vs Endo was actually pretty drat good and I wish Sasaki had shown a tenth of that interest in the Ueno draw

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Kumamoto thoughts:

* have to assume this guy in a suit at the top and presenting the wrestlers with crates of fruit in the main is a local politician? good job getting DDT to your town, weird guy. too bad you couldn't win the Iron Man Heavymetalweight like past local politicians at DDT shows, but there's always next time
* this venue is one of those fullbright flourescent situations like lovely indies run a lot, but somehow this is the first time I have EVER seen a camera correctly white-balanced for a venue like this, so it ended up looking fine. maybe being a single-camera show makes it easier!
* undercard tags were fun, Hirata got the biggest face heat of the night as he drat well should
* I liked Sasaki vs Iino way more than I expected. Sasaki is much more fun to watch when he's aggressively heeling, dude should just start going at Toru Yano speed instead of his usual speed of "what if Tetsuya Naito forgot how to wrestle"
* MAO vs KANON was... fine? It had some fun mirror-match stuff. I still fundamentally do not understand KANON
* The tag main is a good time and I will always enjoy the crowd rallying around a lower-card hometown hero

All caught up now. Dramatic DDT breaks down the blocks with Chris out: https://dramaticddt.wordpress.com/2023/12/21/brookes-to-get-surgery-d-oh-paths-to-the-final/

B Block: MAO not getting to be in contendership with Chris out sucks - if Chris spoiled Saito, MAO could have made it to the final with a win, if I understand the math right.

Now it's down to Yukio Naya or Rei Saito. I guess I hope it's Naya because I have been bored as hell with him so far this tournament but he seems to have the most potential, whereas I think I have fully seen Rei Saito's ceiling as a singles competitor, and it is "well, at least he's slightly more mobile than the average big guy."

A Block is still exciting at least! Anyone's tournament there.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

going to attempt to watch this after aew, though i am hoping an intermission so i can watch a little undercard and then fast forward and be all caught up by the main event

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

just finished the battle royal. i hope poison sawada vs takagi main events the 1/3 show instead of rei saito or yukio naya

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

not looking at posts since im still behind but dying laughing at sasaki going into a can't miss match and getting chumped out in seven minutes by a guy with 2 points

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

that loving ruled

im hollering at how yukio naya is watching this and the only reactoin theyve shown him have is confusion. he looks like he ate too many edibles and is currently in space

also how does he look even weirder in a t shirt

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

aw champion christmas tree :shobon:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

im watching the finals show and this has been a really fun undercard except danshoku dieno should probably be executed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

that final was fine but i still do not care for yukio naya and at this point i'm not sure i ever will