Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
2024 is going to be the Ferrari year, Fred Vasseur has masterfully allowed Mercedes take the bait of second place to gain crucial additional time in the wind tunnel in order to finally prepare the ultimate car to destroy redbull.

Also 2023 was just stalling until he manages to fire all Italians from the team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Magnetic North posted:

I've been F1-curious for a few years now, but it's tough in the US without cable. This year, it was so totally over so early, I couldn't muster the giveafucks to try and watch any of the stateside races or even much clips or commentary.

What I don't get is: how do people stand following sports without a playoff structure (as typical :911: sports have)? I was first trying to pay attention in 2021 with Hamilton and Verstappen down to the wire, which seemed exciting as hell, but that hasn't repeated. What do you do if the competition is literally mathematically decided?

I think one of the effects of a smaller "roster" in F1 (10 teams, two drivers, very very dramatic personalities all over) is that it's easier to focus on the relative performance of teams and drivers rather than a global scoreboard.

Imo one of the unfortunate effects of such close mechanical regulations is that the performance gains are mostly found in aero or software which tends to lock a team into a design that then limits the overall ups and downs of their performance across the season. You don't have a whole lot of macro drama at that point because you know who's gonna be on that podium most of the time since they qualified in the first row or two, which they did because they managed to draw more effective aero performance out of their car and map their engine to deliver just the right pace of acceleration, which was clearly evident by the end of preseason testing. There's a super bowl but it's just extremely predictable, and so folks either bounce off or find their groove. It's like being into NFL football for the draft and trade drama but not even caring beyond the division stats. Idk maybe there's a Dolphins lifer you can talk with to get a better feel for it.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

2024 is gonna be the year Gene Haas remembers he owns a terrible F1 team that he hasn't been investing in and sells to Andretti

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

Alaois posted:

on the other hand its extremely funny to watch The Greatest Regular Season Team Of All Time The Boston Bruins get their lives ruined by some poo poo rear end Florida Panthers

I've made my opinion on hockey perfectly clear and I'm not going to indulge any further hockey talk in this thread.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

tony quidtana posted:

I've made my opinion on hockey perfectly clear and I'm not going to indulge any further hockey talk in this thread.

fine replace the Bruins with the Mariners and the Panthers with the Yankees

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Alaois posted:

on the other hand its extremely funny to watch The Greatest Regular Season Team Of All Time The Boston Bruins get their lives ruined by some poo poo rear end Florida Panthers

it ruled and was extremely funny

almost as funny as the Patriots fielding one of the worst teams in history

What I am saying is lmao New England in general, and Boston specifically

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Nick Soapdish posted:

2024 is gonna be the year Gene Haas remembers he owns a terrible F1 team that he hasn't been investing in and sells to Andretti

lol imagine being such a shitshow of a team that multiple attempts to enter F1 as a new team have been made instead of signing up to be dealing with all of the poo poo Guenther has to deal with but from more directions.

Folks would rather knowingly cut a check only to watch Michael Andretti light it on fire before their very eyes than even think about going to talk to Gene Haas.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
Remember when Gene Haas committed a little light treason, as a treat

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

Remember when Gene Haas committed a little light treason, as a treat

yeah this too, imagine having to explain to your loving banking authorities that you were actually wiring those funds to Haas for their F1 team of all things. That's like saying you don't even read the girly mags for the articles but that you read them for the ads. Nobody would fuckin believe you.

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags
Looking forward to in-depth quality F1 discussion in this thread.

2024 is the year of the Linux desk.... Ferrari championship

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Linux will have working sound before Ferrari have a working team

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Nowher posted:

Looking forward to in-depth quality F1 discussion in this thread.

2024 is the year of the Linux desk.... Ferrari championship

capello rosso

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Magnetic North posted:

I've been F1-curious for a few years now, but it's tough in the US without cable. This year, it was so totally over so early, I couldn't muster the giveafucks to try and watch any of the stateside races or even much clips or commentary.

What I don't get is: how do people stand following sports without a playoff structure (as typical :911: sports have)? I was first trying to pay attention in 2021 with Hamilton and Verstappen down to the wire, which seemed exciting as hell, but that hasn't repeated. What do you do if the competition is literally mathematically decided?

This is kinda just how racing works. F1 being the most refined version of the stupid bullshit that basically eliminates most of the competitors before they even get to start their engines on race 1.

As for what you do? Just watch. Pick your favorite team or driver based on whatever nonsense criteria you want and watch that driver and hope they do the best they can or at least do better than the week before. Most of my season was watching Yuki fight like hell to get into the points and poo poo talk on mic.

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I recently decided to try and get back into a Good cup of coffee without having to spend a thousand dollars on equipment and poo poo and I got both a French press and a moka pot. I like the moka pot a lot for the coffee it makes, I hate that my 3 cup gets me absolutely heart poundingly wired because I don’t drink much coffee and can’t handle the caffeine.

I just wanted the 3 cup so it wasn’t literally just a shot. I guess it’s time to get a milk foamer now.

You know you don't have to drink the whole thing right? Also I prefer a nice pour over setup with a good grinder over french press if you're pursuing "The Good Cup of Coffee" when it comes to cheap equipment (aside from grinders) and lots of variables to tweak as you chase that good good.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

it was amusing watching ferrari's drivers become strategists over the course of the season

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

ferrari should sign george, he'll come up with all their strats on the fly

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

lmao, albon in an interview using bumping up your sens in shooters to sensitivity in the car

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I could use a new coffee grinder. My Cuisinart leaves a lot to be desired.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

why did you name your child Cuisinart

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ilmucche posted:

Too many Chucks

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

ilmucche posted:

That isn’t either of my dogs’ names.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

no child left to grind

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

grind beans I meant for the record gently caress off

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

#grindset

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
how about watch chat featuring noted F1 driver favorite

US customs officers seized a fake Richard Mille watch. If real, it would have been worth $3.7 million

The watch in question lmao loving $3.7 milly for this

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

both my toaster and my air fryer are broken. the future sucks man. I asked about a toaster in the other thread and somebody told me to get a $300 toaster. I am not ferrari, im not going to spend $300 on a toaster. now a $1000 toaster, that would show class I think. are there any $1000 toasters?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I did use a cast iron last night when I made the pasta

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

US customs officers seized a fake Richard Mille watch. If real, it would have been worth $3.7 million

Is the big smiley face real

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ethanol posted:

both my toaster and my air fryer are broken. the future sucks man. I asked about a toaster in the other thread and somebody told me to get a $300 toaster. I am not ferrari, im not going to spend $300 on a toaster. now a $1000 toaster, that would show class I think. are there any $1000 toasters?

did an AI write this test question

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

an ai could never dream of creating my posts

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ethanol posted:

an ai could never dream of creating my posts

your posts are unsolicited nightmares to human and machine alike

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

i prefer to post in the style of emulating nails on chalkboard. as fast as possible. to not waste too much time with morons like yourself

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

i recently got a smartwatch and if the "most popular" face designs in the app are correct then people have awful taste in watches

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's in McDonald's colours as well

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

i recently got a smartwatch and if the "most popular" face designs in the app are correct then people have awful taste in watches
smartwatches are bad style so you already hosed up owning one. I should know because I wear one

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ethanol posted:

i prefer to post in the style of emulating nails on chalkboard. as fast as possible. to not waste too much time with morons like yourself

Usually the nails on a chalkboard are moving slowly

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

im already on the next subject: smartwatches look like poo poo

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

ethanol posted:

im already on the next subject: smartwatches look like poo poo

they do and also they make me worry about my heart rate too much

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

what's a good cheap smartwatch for running that will measure how far i've gone even though i run with my phone anyway

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I quite like the Withings watches, if I wore a watch I would probably try one of those. I'm not interested in having to put a watch on charge every day or having it ring when someone calls me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

Is the big smiley face real

couldn't justify the pricetag if it wasn't