Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Second Hand Meat Mouth)

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

I'd say we can also go ahead and diagnose goethe and gauss with autism while we're at it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Nanomashoes posted:

not sure about any of those guys but I can guarantee with 100% certainty that Kant was autistic

throwing a temper tantrums cause someone interrupted your thinking, or caused you to start your afternoon walk a minute late sure reminds me of something

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there
trying to grasp the limits of human perception and knowledge and formulating a universal moral theory are my special interests

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

got me 50 ounces out a bird in this bitch

Hatebag posted:

right, i was just thinking of how it would work, though. you'd have to remove dendritic connections from billions of neurons from brain cells that are micrometer-scale. thus, tiny robots.
probably a more realistic "cure" would be zygote selection or gene therapy on infants before their brains get all gummed up

yeah except for genetic fiddling before the brain starts to develop, itd be building a new brain atom by atom Star Trek transporter style

like autism isnt a thing on top of everything else that you can cut out, it's the thing. an autistic brain is an autistic brain, the brain is autistic from stem up, its not only a cognition and social thing

i do not experience anything quite the same. my senses are different, in all sorts of little ways that are hard to describe
i have incredibly sensitive hearing (most sensitive & highest spatial acuity ever at the place i got it tested lol)
i have to make closed captions in my head of anything someone says if i want to remember it. sounds have too much detail.
i have synesthesia with sounds, mostly. it's always 'on', sounds all get tracked in my head as if they were physical objects with shapes & motion, kinda
that and other harder to describe things are all connected to my memories and emotions, for my entire life, so i don't know what my memories or emotions would be like without that

i don't know what existence would be like.

i don't know what I'd be like, or if I'd even be me, and I don't know what anything else would be like. it might be better for "me", but i wouldn't be there

the cure approach to autism is v. bad & dangerously close to eugenics even when approached with the best of intentions

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there
if the steam locomative had reached widespread implementation 100 years earlier we would still all be living humean epistemology

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Nanomashoes posted:

not sure about any of those guys but I can guarantee with 100% certainty that Kant was autistic

yeah i mean
think about the kind of person who sits and writes massive diatribes on principled issues with a quill in the 1700s for literally like most of their life

LuxuryLarva
Sep 8, 2023

Hot dude with a cool attitude.
I think we should get Autism Speaks to shut the gently caress up again.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Nanomashoes posted:

compare any of them to their contemporaries, or look up how people described their mannerisms. people haven't understood how differently autism can present until like, the last decade, people who had autism but weren't disabled by it did not get diagnosed or considered for diagnosis. academia is fuckin stacked with undiagnosed autistic people

i think early science and philosophy in particular, before institutional efforts and organized academia were a thing, was mostly a series of autistic people with relevant interests getting into positions to advance them by chance and then doing so by locking onto that poo poo forever cuz nobody else really gave enough of a poo poo, and that's why scientific advancement is so start-stop up til states started putting effort into it

basically like a couple thousand years of the civ thing with lil dudes who make a golden era but they're all autistic

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
let’s rank the autism subtypes

1. train

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i'm autistic for pussy

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

the adhd-autism super combo is powerful but society needs some normal autists to balance things out

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

free him

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i'm too autistic for pussy

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

give him trains

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Hatebag posted:

right, i was just thinking of how it would work, though. you'd have to remove dendritic connections from billions of neurons from brain cells that are micrometer-scale. thus, tiny robots.
probably a more realistic "cure" would be zygote selection or gene therapy on infants before their brains get all gummed up

The 'cure' is to just put some effort in and be normal and stop trying to be the center of attention and disrupt everyone else because you have to be special. Whenever people talk about a cure they really mean you should just be 'normal'. Sometimes they also mean eugenics or magic pills, but those are just ways to push people to be normal

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

they see autism as something that should be managed or cured, when in reality we are god's chosen people

And while I know this is sarcastic, the flipside of the 'just be normal' approach is the 'autism is a super power and I'm better than other people', which I understand where its coming from but its also toxic in its own way. Its hard to find positive ways to exist with autism.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

the adhd-autism super combo is powerful but society needs some normal autists to balance things out

I am tired of being so powerful

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Nix Panicus posted:

And while I know this is sarcastic, the flipside of the 'just be normal' approach is the 'autism is a super power and I'm better than other people', which I understand where its coming from but its also toxic in its own way. Its hard to find positive ways to exist with autism.

extremely not sarcastic btw. though I'm not denying it can suck, as society is ill equipped for our powerful nature

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Nix Panicus posted:

there's a middle ground to that

you can recognize autism has qualities that are good or just neat and some that are terrible and make people's lives awful where they can't live independently or take care of themselves

you can recognize autistic people have contributed enormously to society and that it's not a thing to be ashamed of at all and also recognize that most autistic people around the world and over history have been oppressed and victimized and abused and harassed pretty much every second any of them were not contributing enormously to society or being Weird

you can think autistic people shouldn't have to mask themselves to fit into society and that people should be more understanding and accommodating to autism because it's so not hard - but also be willing to put in an effort to learn how other people work and how to not send the wrong signals to people or let them know what's up instead of assuming they should be able to understand

like you can value yourself without being a supremacist, you can see other people as people the way you want em to see you and not factor in What someone is or has at all & just the stuff that actually affects you like if they're an rear end in a top hat or not

it can be frustrating when others dont understand or accept that idea, but it's not your job to make em. and in the end it is Right + moral consistency feels good and makes things very simple

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Ive known too many people, both personally and professionally, who were just complete assholes about being superior. Your sorting system is thorough but impenetrable and you're riddled with trauma, thats not a super power. Professionally I know whatever I ask for will be excessively complete and I'll just need to pare it down a bit. Personally I am loving begging you to leave the spiral notebooks full of optimized solutions at home during board game night because its killing the group. The worst is when someone thinks autism means objective, so they can pick the best strategies without the prejudice of neurotypical social hierarchy. lmao we have own own prejudices and weird rear end social hierarchies.

This is not a rejection of the value of autism (or adhd's) differing perspectives and methods of interactions. I like the way I understand the world, and mostly just wish the world sucked less poo poo and took my perspective into consideration

But lmao at anyone who thinks we should let the autistic engineers run the world

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Nix Panicus posted:

Ive known too many people, both personally and professionally, who were just complete assholes about being superior. Your sorting system is thorough but impenetrable and you're riddled with trauma, thats not a super power. Professionally I know whatever I ask for will be excessively complete and I'll just need to pare it down a bit. Personally I am loving begging you to leave the spiral notebooks full of optimized solutions at home during board game night because its killing the group. The worst is when someone thinks autism means objective, so they can pick the best strategies without the prejudice of neurotypical social hierarchy. lmao we have own own prejudices and weird rear end social hierarchies.

This is not a rejection of the value of autism (or adhd's) differing perspectives and methods of interactions. I like the way I understand the world, and mostly just wish the world sucked less poo poo and took my perspective into consideration

But lmao at anyone who thinks we should let the autistic engineers run the world

I'm reminded of a very awkward work conversation where an engineer bitched to me about having to update our app for disability compliance. They made the comment that everything is a disability now, "even autism, it's ridiculous, I don't feel disabled". "Yeah, well, I feel like I do."

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
is spaz a slur

500 bad dogs
Nov 22, 2023

Xaris posted:

is spaz a slur

growing up my parents and siblings called me one so probably

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
For every neurotypical I will have four autisms to compensate

I long to become a robot alien

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Xaris posted:

is spaz a slur

Its short for spastic, which usually refers to the fidgeting or repetitive self soothing motions a person with autism can make. I wouldnt say its a term loaded with historic weight for isolating and devaluing a person, but its also not a kind word. I'd say its more of an insult than a slur, if that distinction means anything to you.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

tokin opposition posted:

For every neurotypical I will have four autisms to compensate

I long to become a robot alien

transhumanism ftw

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Nix Panicus posted:

Its short for spastic, which usually refers to the fidgeting or repetitive self soothing motions a person with autism can make. I wouldnt say its a term loaded with historic weight for isolating and devaluing a person, but its also not a kind word. I'd say its more of an insult than a slur, if that distinction means anything to you.

downgrading it to an "insult" is ableist do better

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Nix Panicus posted:

ok cuz gbs has been word filter moderation banning people for it for awhile now as a "slur" but i've never interpreted it that way

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I understand this is an extremely autistic thing to make a distinction over, but Ive always thought of slurs as things you say to indicate to someone that you would seriously hurt or kill them if it were socially acceptable while insults are much lesser things. Like pointing a gun at someone versus flicking pebbles at them. Obviously your experiences may vary

E: so, in my experience and in the parts of history I am aware of, calling someone a spaz has never inherently included a threat of violence. But I could be wrong

VVV yeah, different experiences

Nix Panicus has issued a correction as of 06:03 on Nov 30, 2023

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
spaz means spastic in the UK which describes a motion symptom of cerebral palsy and multiple sclerosis and a few other diseases. p sure you can't say it on tv there

here in america it's just synonymous with dork or nerd, but people are still sometimes weird about it here because of the much stronger british meaning. FCC's cool with it though

the brits also have "mong" which is fairly strong too (mongoloid ie down's syndrome)

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
it's a slur but it's been partially forgotten because people don't talk like old timey eugenicists anymore, i still try to stay away from it but there's also stuff like "dumb" which is way too common a word for me to be willing to give up since it hasn't had the slur meaning be more common for decades+

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

so is it that being trans makes you autistic or does being autistic being trans because there's way too much overlap for me to think it's coincidence

for evidence see everyone ITT

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

tokin opposition posted:

so is it that being trans makes you autistic or does being autistic being trans because there's way too much overlap for me to think it's coincidence

for evidence see everyone ITT

My wife's done some reading that suggests 'autistic people are less attached to traditional gender norms' but can't come up with a citation for it. Maybe because gender as a social construct relies a lot on neurotypical framing? And maybe if you're less attached to the external social construct it becomes easier to resolve the internal tension? I'm just guessing.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
it's a current subject of study but yeah they think there might be a link due to the large overlap

you're something like three or four times more likely to be one if you are the other, also both are 3-4 times more common in people assigned male at birth

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

FirstnameLastname posted:

I've had a hypothesis that monasteries & other cloistered and secluded clergy/theological leadership initially grew as a refuge for nonverbal autistics and Deaf/hard of hearing people. the most intense discussione on theology ive ever had have been with autistic people and the most deadfast dedicated adherents to religions I've ever met have been and it's not even close. i think religion, particularly organized religion and autism are historically very deeply intertwined & was probably used as a way of social protection for awkward rear end autistic people for thousands of years around the world

the first monastaries were built partly bc these young men were too annoying to be allowed around normies so it checks out.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Xaris posted:

is spaz a slur

only in the UK and Australia

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
spaz is kinda derogatory to me but I’m way less likely to care than when I hear, for instance, “gyp” which is insidiously pervasive in American slang

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

transhumanism, communism, capitalism, marxism... now i gotta learn about autism???

okay, just WHAT do you all believe huh???

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

im a tankie but in an autism way not a ML way

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Not sure about autism but I really love the idea of spectrums and being on them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Calibanibal posted:

Not sure about autism but I really love the idea of spectrums and being on them