Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Second Hand Meat Mouth)

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

what's your favorite spectrum

Mines EM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

transhumanism, communism, capitalism, marxism... now i gotta learn about autism???

okay, just WHAT do you all believe huh???

Transhumanism, communism, capitalism and Marxism

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

transhumanism, communism, capitalism, marxism... now i gotta learn about autism???

okay, just WHAT do you all believe huh???

From each according to obsessive interest, to each according to anxieties

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

I really like rainbow spectrum and also good-evil or order-chaos spectrums

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Car Hater posted:

From each according to obsessive interest, to each according to anxieties

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Kinsey

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Bristol

mags
May 30, 2008

trains are pretty cool

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

mags posted:

trains are pretty cool

yeah

ya'll ever play some factorio?????? hell yeah it goes bzzz and then i get a rocket

mags
May 30, 2008

tokin opposition posted:

yeah

ya'll ever play some factorio?????? hell yeah it goes bzzz and then i get a rocket

I haven’t played that but I did lose a few months to a Minecraft mod that let you craft a nuclear reactor

e: it’s in my steam library!!

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

tokin opposition posted:

yeah

Factorio is cool. Only game I know that is structured like a math text book. Base game provides simple and straightforward applications of the mechanics that you can find the optimal answer for easily or intuit from first principles and experimentation. That's the A Problems side.

Get into modding and you find sick and twisted applications and expansions on those simple mechanics. There are no answers on the internet, the last Bobs/Angels letus play was years ago and the mod authors have rebalanced liquids since then. But oh man, the possibilities are so good. That's the Side B problems.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

I never got diagnosed, I just assumed my social difficulties were because I am deaf in one ear. And then one day I realized I say "What?" even when people are on my good side.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

NyetscapeNavigator posted:

I never got diagnosed, I just assumed my social difficulties were because I am deaf in one ear. And then one day I realized I say "What?" even when people are on my good side.

auditory processing disorders ftw

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I'm just ADHD, but autism has a lot of overlap even when folks don't literally have both, so I consider us natural allies and bros. Solidarity.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

skooma512 posted:

I'm just ADHD, but autism has a lot of overlap even when folks don't literally have both, so I consider us natural allies and bros. Solidarity.

Don't look me in the eye and say that again

LuxuryLarva
Sep 8, 2023

Hot dude with a cool attitude.

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER posted:

if you're young and have aspergers my advice to you is to MASK IT with booze and drugs, get into raving. try to spend most of your time in situations with little to no normal social expectations. MDMA is a magical drug that makes you feel normal and like you fit in with everyone! don't take too much though or it stops working

Also take hrt and wear dresses and get really into suspension rigging.

LuxuryLarva
Sep 8, 2023

Hot dude with a cool attitude.

tokin opposition posted:

Don't look me in the eye and say that again

say what again

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

skooma512 posted:

I think the link between the two is stronger than we've thusfar proven, so my ADHD friends are welcome in here as full-fledged members

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

got me 50 ounces out a bird in this bitch

I think the link between the two is stronger than we've thusfar proven, so my ADHD friends are welcome in here as full-fledged members

yeah i think adhd, autism, OCD, and bipolar are all different manifestations of the same set of things happening
they just all overlap way too much otherwise, try to find one autistic etc person without adhd/ocd/bipolar etc relatives

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER posted:

if you're young and have aspergers my advice to you is to MASK IT with booze and drugs, get into raving. try to spend most of your time in situations with little to no normal social expectations. MDMA is a magical drug that makes you feel normal and like you fit in with everyone! don't take too much though or it stops working

real talk MDMA cured my claustrophobia with dense crowds permanently and forever after the first use and i didn't expect it to happen or have any idea that it could it just did.
also let me walk up to large crowds of people and start talking to them like it was nothing, any of the things that'd make me hesitate or freeze up just didn't trigger, wasnt having any harsh sensory reactions from sound or light that knock the thoughts out of my head so i could interact smoothly. i was completely out of my head and able to enjoy what was actually happening. ftw
if you have autism you should be able to get it prescribed also if yo udont
itll wreck your brain if you do it a lot tho ya

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

FirstnameLastname posted:

yeah i think adhd, autism, OCD, and bipolar are all different manifestations of the same set of things happening
they just all overlap way too much otherwise, try to find one autistic etc person without adhd/ocd/bipolar etc relatives
it does seem like anyone whose autistic has adhd/ocd, and most people with adhd/ocd are autistic. not surprising that they're extremely overlapping

one of the things that's coming out of research is it seems to be some form of endocrine/hormonal issue during fetal development, things like maternal stressors (especially high stress events) seems highly correlated with autism, there's increasing evidence that microplastics/phthlates cause autism (demonstrated in rats), we know that families who live next to freeways (massive tire/oil pollution) have autism rates much higher than someone living up in the hills. Rates have also been skyrocketing the past 2-3 decades, like really astronomical, which would track with a) massive increase in pollution particularly intake of endocrine disruptors during development, b) sociological behaviors under capitalism-24/7 media where everyone is stressed out all the time about work/money/rent, and stressed about having kids in their late 30ss or whatever. anecdotally, nearly every parent in my closer circle of people I know (most people having kids 35+) like 7/16 of the kids are varying levels of non-verbal bad to mildly autistic which is an absolutely insane probability for that to occur.

with adhd/autism/etc, lot of that would track with varying issues with 'deficiencies' in an endocrine system, particularly in how the brain handles/regulates/wiring triggers for hormones like serotonin, dopamine, and adrenaline that either get dulled or overly sensitive especially with varying different sensory inputs, and what the brain/body does with them. these are very very sensitive and delicate brain functions that would be very easy to be altered even slightly during fetal and early childhood.

e: This is also why it's 100% non-binary and I don't even think spectrum is the right word: it's more than a spectrum, it's not like someone can be on or off it -- it's like everything and everyone. But to varying levels of how endocrine and brain wiring was formed in fetal and childhood and how the body regulates and what their brains do with hormones all are going to vary. ultimately there's probably some sort of normal distribution amongst humans that share the same sort of systems that we could call "normal", but it's also going to be so heavily temporal-varied with changes in the environment (in both a literal ecological and social sense).

as to why there's a gender disparity between autism (or what we define it is at least), that I don't know. there's biological reasons in why men are more likely to be transgender due to the way chromosomes are differentiated in fetal development, particularly in mammals that females are the default and male is sort of a mutation, and it'd be very easy to cross-wire the two in that direction and not the other way. and some interesting studies that showed how those can be effected by environmental factors. but i haven't seen any reason for autism to have a gender difference other than sociological-based biases for definitions.

my guess is it's almost all sociological prescriptions for how it's defined and that there may not be a major difference. and like I said, it's not binary, it's not even a spectrum that you are on or off of it like a surfboard.

Xaris has issued a correction as of 06:56 on Dec 1, 2023

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

maybe "neurotypical' doesn't exist and it's all just a matter of what old rear end fuckers thought were disruptive in the 1940s and the entire field of psychology playing telephone game and trying to get better at it since then

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

neurotypical = not weird in a way that's inconvenient for capital

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Years ago I made a thread about this subject, and while this video is long, it's also very insightful and covers a range of causes and effects
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0sKY86Qmzo

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

tokin opposition posted:

neurotypical = not weird in a way that's inconvenient for capital

yep

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

I'm not really sure how to think about being autistic since I feel lonely a lot and I try to work on talking with neurotypical people and understanding their needs, but I dunno, it never really seems like there's any push for neurotypical people to do anything to change their own behavior, which feels bad since socializing should be a collaborative thing.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

rewatching one of my favorite autistic shows: mr robot

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
what are the braindifferent classics

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

was columbo autistic

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

was columbo autistic
absolutely

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Ohtori Akio posted:

what are the braindifferent classics

Megamind, bill and teds bogus journey, blue velvet, return to oz, Adaptation, Ghostbusters, to name a few

Stinky Wizzleteats has issued a correction as of 08:28 on Dec 1, 2023

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I'm pretty sure Godzilla is autistic/about autism

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
is yui from k-on autistic, adhd, or both

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Whirling posted:

absolutely

lol colombo hitting u w/ a string of "and one last thing"s but they're all bionicle lore infodumps

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
anyways ive got a formal adhd diagnosis, was going to get an autism eval done a couple years ago but was unemployed in part due to braindifferent issues so i canceled for cost reasons. i still wonder if itd be easier to navigate life with a dx other than adhd

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Stinky Wizzleteats posted:

I'm pretty sure Godzilla is autistic/about autism

i think it's about why you dont let big lizards stomp on japan

someone in C-Spam i think it might've been shmm posted that they thought Bomber Harris was simply real autistic about Bombers and tbh, it does track

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

wasn't me but lol I do now

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

wasn't me but lol I believe it now

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

oh wow I did the quote edit thing for like only the second time in my life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU