Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Second Hand Meat Mouth)

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Ohtori Akio posted:

anyways ive got a formal adhd diagnosis, was going to get an autism eval done a couple years ago but was unemployed in part due to braindifferent issues so i canceled for cost reasons. i still wonder if itd be easier to navigate life with a dx other than adhd

official diag and testing for autism is extremely expensive and difficult to get as am adult :/
i was only able to get diagnosed cuz I've been seeing the same dr forever

being able to tell people does very little tho, like its very helpful being able to say "hey im not being like this to piss you off" if someone doesn't get it but the really important part is knowing urself and not getting caught off guard and blindsided by your own brain every part of every day

thinking you do not have autism when you do is the worst thing in the world because all the advice actually doesn't work and usually makes things harder but you can't tell that you're not just doing everything wrong it's like living a prank life lol.

it hosed my head up really bad grinding against everything other people breeze through, while chanting I'm Normal and thinking im retarded & broken
ive only known wtf for less than a year still and i have to remind myself things aren't guaranteed to be the worst possible experience/outcome every time :|

there's like no accomodations for autism and it will Never help with employment, never share your disability status w employer unless it gets u something dope

FirstnameLastname has issued a correction as of 09:16 on Dec 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
I don't think it gets you anything either unless you're in a specific situation where requesting accommodations for something is feasible and won't backfire instantly

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
microsofts got a special hiring process and accommodations for people with a dx. that could be nice. stable employment would be good for me

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Ohtori Akio posted:

microsofts got a special hiring process and accommodations for people with a dx. that could be nice. stable employment would be good for me

what kinda computer stuff do u do bc i got connects at ms & might be able to get u a phone call or w/e
cant promise nething but id ask

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
just pm or w/e so smarxist cannt dox u lol

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

FirstnameLastname posted:

what kinda computer stuff do u do bc i got connects at ms & might be able to get u a phone call or w/e
cant promise nething but id ask

im a developer with a cs degree but the most recent jobs ive had have been more operations and project management and incident management oriented. i touch them many different ways. i appreciate even the thought

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

just pm or w/e so smarxist cannt dox u lol

lol

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

official diag and testing for autism is extremely expensive and difficult to get as am adult :/

being able to tell people does very little tho, like its very helpful being able to say "hey im not being like this to piss you off" if someone doesn't get it but the really important part is knowing urself and not getting caught off guard and blindsided by your own brain every part of every day

thinking you do not have autism when you do is the worst thing in the world because all the advice actually doesn't work and usually makes things harder but you can't tell that you're not just doing everything wrong it's like living a prank life lol.

it hosed my head up really bad grinding against everything other people breeze through, while chanting I'm Normal and thinking im retarded & broken
ive only known wtf for less than a year still and i have to remind myself things aren't guaranteed to be the worst possible experience/outcome every time :|

there's like no accomodations for autism and it will Never help with employment, never share your disability status w employer unless it gets u something dope

i just read the rest of this. the main thing for me is every loving computer touching company wants me to work in an open office where some dickhead is talking on zoom while eating a poke bowl meanwhile im trying to focus on some gay computer poo poo lol

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
for the record smarxist has my dox. we live together and sleep together in the same twin bed every night

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
How many itt are bald or balding?

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
estrogens goated ive got a beautiful head of hair

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

fanfic insert posted:

How many itt are bald or balding?

insanely thick, lush healthy hair ftw

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
follow up: were you diagnosed as a child or adult?

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
i also had luscious hair as a child

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

fanfic insert posted:

follow up: were you diagnosed as a child or adult?

adult

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Ohtori Akio posted:

i just read the rest of this. the main thing for me is every loving computer touching company wants me to work in an open office where some dickhead is talking on zoom while eating a poke bowl meanwhile im trying to focus on some gay computer poo poo lol

go apply for your state government. pensions rule and being unionized and unfireable owns

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

lol colombo hitting u w/ a string of "and one last thing"s but they're all bionicle lore infodumps

oh, and just one more thing before i get outta your hair: bionicles all live on a giant bionicle. ain't that something?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
the last time i had to go into the louisiana dotd hq i got to visit the large format copy/scanning room that was almost entirely staffed by down's syndrome guys

was a little miffed since i did that same job all through college at kinkos lol

Sushi X
Jan 13, 2001

My 10 y/o son has autism and likes Sonic. Doesn't play the games or watch the show but he sure likes the characters. He's also really into Undertales, FNAF, Polandball and watches his YT meme videos way too loud. I love the kid.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Whirling posted:

oh, and just one more thing before i get outta your hair: bionicles all live on a giant bionicle. ain't that something?

fuckin lol

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

tokin opposition posted:

neurotypical = not weird in a way that's inconvenient for capital

p much

mags
May 30, 2008

I never got the autism diagnosis as a kid. they hit my adhd in high school after a few years of failing classes I should’ve easily passed. with treatment I instantly became a 4.0 student. looking back though it’s easy to see. I was obsessed with sounds and rhythms. to this day I’ll chatter my teeth to a drum beat or melody that enters my head. my attention was arbitrary but I could hyper focus for hours on books or hobbies that interest me. at the time of my adhd diagnosis the community was using a “without hyperactivity” in my diagnosis but looking back it wasn’t that i didn’t have hyperactivity, autism etc manifested with my adhd to make me able to focus or sit still and honestly I’m glad I can.

at this moment I stay at home to be a parent to my 2 yo and manage ok without meds beyond a bowl of weed after little one goes to sleep for the night.

wrt autism and gender, I’ve always had an antagonistic relationship with gender expression and expectations. realizing I’m non binary came about by dwelling on the idea that someone could “opt out” and that gender itself is often very fluid and arbitrary. it feels that the thought process that got me here wouldn’t have been possible for me without my neuro-atypicalness.

mags has issued a correction as of 15:12 on Dec 1, 2023

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
^^omg I used to stim constantly my jiggling my leg to focus in class. People would comment on it, but nobody put two and two together

ive only known wtf for less than a year still and i have to remind myself things aren't guaranteed to be the worst possible experience/outcome every time|

Yeah the normie mental health journey is very frustrating for AuDHDers. I'm not diagnosed but it's laughable how nobody realized looking at my childhood. I would read reference books and hated chewing sounds ffs. When I grew up, I realized not everyone lives in a constant state of struggle and anxiety and depression and began the journey of trying to make it easier. The medical industrial complex is so hard to navigate with ADHD and autism, there are so many extra unnecessary obstacles like the scheduling of Adderall, in person therapy not being comfortable, etc. TikTok has actually been pretty helpful as far as explaining why my brain works like it does and how to exist more effectively. I'm of the idea that the first life improvement is accepting that you are "neurodivergent" and expecting "normal" behavior/thoughts from traditional pathways isn't realistic.

Also I have more hair than a person really should have and am undiagnosed.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Sushi X posted:

My 10 y/o son has autism and likes Sonic. Doesn't play the games or watch the show but he sure likes the characters. He's also really into Undertales, FNAF, Polandball and watches his YT meme videos way too loud. I love the kid.

:hai:

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
reason I asked about hair btw is because I realized I've lost my hair because of physical masking, before and during my early teens hairdressers would always comment about how much hair i had. My neutral face is unwelcoming, I look angry, and was told so when young a bunch of times I can still clearly remember. So I made an effort, which became an unconscious effort, to appear more welcoming/happy, which became a chronic tenseness in the face/scalp muscles which killed the oxygen flow to the scalp and through mechanical stuff caused balding. I've since figuring out my neurodivergence(still up in the air which exact letter combos it is but pretty positive on adhd with plausible autism) made an effort to relax my face/scalp muscles and now have a bunch of regrowth without using minoxidil or spicy chilies I see people rubbing all over their bald spots.

Big bonus is my scalp is a lot less dry and itchy than it used to be, I can use warm hats without going mad about the itchiness.

fanfic insert has issued a correction as of 16:00 on Dec 1, 2023

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

insanely thick, lush healthy hair ftw

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Sushi X posted:

get him into 2hu

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Sushi X posted:

Thats literally every goon in the Games subforum

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Please don't pet my dog or talk to him or look at him, he has pawtism. Sorry he isn't a good little cog in the capitalist machine

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone
There's a spectrum haunting europe

mags
May 30, 2008

Calibanibal posted:

Please don't pet my dog or talk to him or look at him, he has pawtism. Sorry he isn't a good little cog in the capitalist machine

lol

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
i'm just shy

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

i got crawtism: i will insist that the proper term for "crayfish" is crawdad

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
I have talltism where I'm too high up to see people's faces

Smythe dni

LuxuryLarva
Sep 8, 2023

Hot dude with a cool attitude.
How easy is it to get a script for adderal comrades.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
How did y'all come up with autism + ADHD as a self descriptor/diagnosis? because it's something I've been thinking about for a while now

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

LuxuryLarva posted:

Don't bother, find a meth hookup and and take that with caffeine pills. Same effect as Adderall but cheaper and better

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

tokin opposition posted:

How did y'all come up with autism + ADHD as a self descriptor/diagnosis? because it's something I've been thinking about for a while now

I like PDX studio games and factorio, and people always associate it with games like that, so I nodded my head and figured that was right

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

LuxuryLarva posted:

depending on your insurance situation you can go to a psychiatrist or your insurance may require you to go to a pcp and get a referral. if you have an established relationship with a pcp they may prescribe it directly if they aren't a pain in the rear end.
either way one or two brief doctor's visits and they'll probably put you on a non-meth bullshit thing that doesn't work for a bit just to waste your time and then you can say "that is garbage" and they'll probably give you the good stuff. and then they make you go back to dr. feelgood periodically so they can wet their beaks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

LuxuryLarva posted:

I'm on a slightly different medication (concerta), but I had to go to a diagnostic appointment with my doctor initially, and have to go for a $150 in person visit every three months to keep the script filled where they make sure I still have ADHD. You can't get it delivered and for some reason my fills are like $200 but the drug is the only one that doesn't give me the sweats or heart palpitations. It's a racket.

tokin opposition posted:

Take a quiz: https://www.clinical-partners.co.uk/for-adults