Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Finally, good riddance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Im glad about this

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Anderson Koopa posted:

How exactly did he get a Nobel Peace Prize?

For bringing peace to Vietnam

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

others have touched on it but there's a certain "american exceptionalism" to believe that vietnam should hate america or whatever. it was obviously a hugely, massive deal in vietnam, but the effects on the american psyche were much more damaging, as vietnam already had a long history of brutal oppression. to vietnam, america was just another one to try. americans want to believe their war was special but it unfortunately wasnt. its a bit oversimplifying to say that but yeah. the views espoused by my exwifes viet/lao family, the older members having lived through the conflict and fled, were basically a big shrug. it was rly funny to talk to them about it, knowing how it was still a permeating presence in the mind of many americans here

pretty much everyone I knew who served over there is dead now, but, "Americans want to believe their war was special but it unfortunately wasn't," is the takeaway most of those guys got from it and passed on to me, as well.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Stoatbringer posted:

Has Trump released a statement saying how much Kissinger was a bigly fan of his yet?

Nope :lol:

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

lol that's not a real language you can't fool me

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Coolguye posted:

Nixon trusted Kissinger even less than some people itt

it was the right call from a straight-shooter

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

drilldo squirt posted:

Remember the adl tried to eulogies him on Twitter and people posted that Jews and "jews" quote.

Why'd the ADL try to eulogize him, I can't remember him trying to criminalize recognizing Palestine or Palestinians as existing in recent memory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Geneva Breaker posted:

just checked, still dead

good im glad