Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slandergoose
Jun 24, 2023
I might have been out of the loop but apparently there is a Tribes 3 in the works:

https://www.ign.com/articles/tribes-3-rivals-fully-revealed-screenshots-and-gameplay-shown
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2687970/TRIBES_3_Rivals/

I got into the playtest and played a few matches. Still buggy and needs a lot of polish but the gameplay is fantastic it. The mid-airs feel just as good as back in the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Tribes should reign over esports. Wasn’t there a free to play attempt a few years ago? I hope this one takes off.

…as long as they keep the feature (bug?) where your gun continues shooting if you die while firing.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Hurry up with that station!

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Dinosaurs! posted:

Tribes should reign over esports. Wasn’t there a free to play attempt a few years ago? I hope this one takes off.

…as long as they keep the feature (bug?) where your gun continues shooting if you die while firing.

Yeah, Tribes: Ascend. It was pretty good but Hi-Rez pulled the plug after a while. This one's made by a subsidiary of Hi-Rez so I wouldn't be surprised if they're building off of Ascend's source code.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
shazbot

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Holy moly. I am beyond excited for this. Tribes is easily my favorite game of all time; the amount of time I put into it and T2 is ridiculous. Playing on the TWL ladder were some of the best times of my gaming life. I've always wondered why the franchise hadn't had a resurgence in the new age of e-sports. The game has everything needed - fast gameplay, high skill expression, easy to cast.

My 52 year old hands aren't like they used to be, but I'm drat sure gonna be mid-airing some fools.

VGW

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Arzachel posted:

Yeah, Tribes: Ascend. It was pretty good but Hi-Rez pulled the plug after a while. This one's made by a subsidiary of Hi-Rez so I wouldn't be surprised if they're building off of Ascend's source code.

Supposedly it was a subsidiary of Hirez that split off and formed a new independent studio. Also supposedly this has only really been an idea for like a couple months. It looks like they're reusing a lot of old assets, but it's all on Unreal Engine 5 now.

I only heard about this the other day but I got into the playtest too. I've been enjoying getting flag captures, returns, and blue plate specials again like a coke fiend diving into a pile of coke. About the same spiking of adrenaline going on.

The jets and air-control feel pretty anemic, and there's this weird effect where you feel magnetized to the surface a lot. Lots of features including key binds, loadout functionality, quick communication commands, all that sort of stuff is still missing, this is still an early alpha. But it is possible to have a good but small match of Tribes with this barebones alpha. Including full inheritance spinfusors from the start is great.

Something I found interesting is that they're now enclosing the maps into more deliberate arenas, with curved corners at each end, and a vague implication of an audience in skyboxes just behind them. The minimap looks like a hockey rink.

I'm looking forward to finally playing some more Tribes after Midair fell off a cliff. Hopefully both today as the playtest plays out its remainder, and after it successfully launches as a complete game.

There's probably something with the physics they need to fix, but it mostly feels like they just need to tweak things and add more content and polish on the already pretty promising core.

Edit: Loadouts seem to be working as expected now.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Dec 1, 2023

slandergoose
Jun 24, 2023
I played a bunch during the play test and while there are some issues that need to be ironed out I think the bones of the game are fantastic. I had a lot of fun playing and played a lot more than I thought I would.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I loved Tribes and even Ascend. I look forward to this. It just scratches a certain itch that no other game can.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
vgs

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I remember being 8 years old playing a football map entitled way too much for the original starsiege tribes.

Assuming this isn't a dumpster fire like ascend was, I'll give it a shot.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

By the end of the play test my muscle memory was really wanting to reflexively use the Voice Game System, to announce flag grabs, congratulate shots, everything. It really started to tap back into that lizard brain I forgot I had.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

DeathSandwich posted:

I remember being 8 years old playing a football map entitled way too much for the original starsiege tribes.

Assuming this isn't a dumpster fire like ascend was, I'll give it a shot.

The one Tribes 1 map/mod I remember was this big MMO kind of thing that was completely inscrutable to a young me.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Dec 2, 2023

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I'm assuming there won't be client side scripting, because while that helped make T1/T2 so great it's also what eventually killed them.

I only have one question for the people ITT-

Are you a Blood Eagle, or a *barf* Diamond Sword?

Orv
May 4, 2011

isaboo posted:

I'm assuming there won't be client side scripting, because while that helped make T1/T2 so great it's also what eventually killed them.

I only have one question for the people ITT-

Are you a Blood Eagle, or a *barf* Diamond Sword?

Diamond Sword has objectively better aesthetics but IIRC they're also space cops? So I sadly cannot rep them anymore.

Bring back Bioderms.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
oh hell yea Bioderms were cool

lol. 20 years later I still have my T2 installation folder with all my scripts and recordings and whatnot. I copy it to every new build or OS and refuse to ever delete it. Until a couple of years ago I still had the original T1 disc

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Orv posted:

Diamond Sword has objectively better aesthetics but IIRC they're also space cops? So I sadly cannot rep them anymore.

Bring back Bioderms.

Blood Eagles are directly descended from the Imperial Knights of Starsiege.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Both BE and DS seemed like a bunch of dorks. I have no idea what the other tribes are like though, as an Ascend baby.

slandergoose
Jun 24, 2023

Mordja posted:

The one Tribes 1 map/mod I remember was this big MMO kind of thing that was completely inscrutable to a young me.

I think my favorite mod in T1 was TAC, it was a lot of fun.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

slandergoose posted:

I think my favorite mod in T1 was TAC, it was a lot of fun.

All I did in that mod was pilot APCs and fly the sides of them into the hills, which would kill any passengers because technically they touched the ground.

I would still do that if people still played TAC.

Chopstix
Nov 20, 2002

Hopefully they bring back 64vs64 or do 128vs 128.

Any oldschoolers remember having the goon pirate battle parties?

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
Next playtest starts tomorrow evening/night. Signup here:

https://www.tribes3rivals.com/

They also talked to PCGamer about the monetization for Tribes Ascend

https://www.pcgamer.com/a-new-tribes-game-is-coming-next-year-and-its-not-free-to-play-we-made-some-mistakes-in-how-we-monetized-ascend/

Obligatory hype video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNPPoo6Ah6Y

Tribes still good

Chopstix posted:

Hopefully they bring back 64vs64 or do 128vs 128.

Any oldschoolers remember having the goon pirate battle parties?

They mentioned 64 player servers, nothing above that, yet.

rockinsaki
Feb 6, 2004

Skinless Half-Asian Wonder

..The Rider of a white horse. This rider wears a crown and will deceive many with talks of peace, but he will wage war against the saints.
Echoing "best gaming times of my life" and "got into the playtest" posts. Extremely excited, and watching the gameplay videos skiing seems just easy and floaty enough. No subsequent games really got the feel of skiing right, I thought. I've been playing basically nothing but Hunt: Showdown lately, and while I love it and it's great, I wish I had something more kinetic with lower stakes. More kinetic than typical movement shooter, too. I want to fly bitches

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008

lagidnam posted:

Next playtest starts tomorrow evening/night. Signup here:

https://www.tribes3rivals.com/

They also talked to PCGamer about the monetization for Tribes Ascend

https://www.pcgamer.com/a-new-tribes-game-is-coming-next-year-and-its-not-free-to-play-we-made-some-mistakes-in-how-we-monetized-ascend/

I kinda remember trying Tribes Ascend. I recall how utterly unwelcome I felt, It was like I turned up at the wrong party and everyone was sneering at me. Not to mention that every single weapon or class was locked behind some kind of paywall, the overall experience was like I had some kind of labor camp guard yelling "BUY THIS, BUY THIS NOW, WHY ARE YOU PLAYING THIS IF HAVENT BOUGHT ANYTHING". Not the best onboarding experience to say the least, I uninstalled it soon after.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

The biggest problem with Tribes Ascend was that the disc launcher wasn't the best weapon in the game from the get.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Playtest is live

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
i thought this was going to be some 5v5 garbage arena shooter was that just a poorly worded tweet or something and they're actually doing big maps and vehicles ???

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
:pog: :pogchamp: :letsfucking go:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mr. Crow posted:

i thought this was going to be some 5v5 garbage arena shooter was that just a poorly worded tweet or something and they're actually doing big maps and vehicles ???

32v32 CTF is the current upper plan

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
I only just signed up for playtesting, I'm guessing I missed the cutoff?

Probably won't be of much use anyways, doubt there's oceanic servers or enough players yet to justify them.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Current playtest is 5v5 or 12v12, NA/EU

It’s pretty fun but you can’t shazbot. 0/10

skasion fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Dec 8, 2023

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Tombot posted:

I kinda remember trying Tribes Ascend. I recall how utterly unwelcome I felt, It was like I turned up at the wrong party and everyone was sneering at me. Not to mention that every single weapon or class was locked behind some kind of paywall, the overall experience was like I had some kind of labor camp guard yelling "BUY THIS, BUY THIS NOW, WHY ARE YOU PLAYING THIS IF HAVENT BOUGHT ANYTHING". Not the best onboarding experience to say the least, I uninstalled it soon after.

not just classes but even upgrades, once you were playing a class you were still playing a worse version of it with weaker armor, weaker secondary gadgets, fewer and weaker grenades, alternate primary weapons and perks locked out etc until you went through a really long grind to get all that stuff (or bought it)
e: worse guns too! i forgot that. even the primary weapons needed to be upgraded for things like more ammo, less reload time, better explosion radius.

if it was just for unlocking alternate weapons and perks like cod4 it could've been ok i guess but the rest of that upgrade system sucked
despite all that I still miss it, the skiing was really fun.

lookin forward to 32v32 mode. shame modern gaming hardware just can't handle the raw technical power of 256 players, maybe some day we'll have advanced enough pcs for that

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Dec 8, 2023

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

My demands for the new Tribes game is to please include every weapon, pack, vehicle, grenade, base equipment ect ect from Tribes 2. Thank you in advance.

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000
It looks good and I miss Tribes 2, but if this is an enclosed space and you can't just gently caress off to a remote spot to build a mini-base then it's not really Tribes however good the guns and skiing are. :(

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
How's Gelatinous Prime

Orv
May 4, 2011

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

not just classes but even upgrades, once you were playing a class you were still playing a worse version of it with weaker armor, weaker secondary gadgets, fewer and weaker grenades, alternate primary weapons and perks locked out etc until you went through a really long grind to get all that stuff (or bought it)
e: worse guns too! i forgot that. even the primary weapons needed to be upgraded for things like more ammo, less reload time, better explosion radius.

if it was just for unlocking alternate weapons and perks like cod4 it could've been ok i guess but the rest of that upgrade system sucked
despite all that I still miss it, the skiing was really fun.

lookin forward to 32v32 mode. shame modern gaming hardware just can't handle the raw technical power of 256 players, maybe some day we'll have advanced enough pcs for that

For all that Ascend got wrong the skiing felt great and it handled the technical side really well. That is about all I can give it though.

As for 256 players, while I definitely agree we could probably stand to go past 64 these days, I’m not sure I’d want to play a game at the speed of Tribes with half the people on the server on WiFi and with hundreds of projectiles to track at once.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

All those hours playing Tiny Wings on the phone has kept my ski game sufficient. Game is good.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Hopping into 12v12 matches and just jumping right into a cap/chase game has been really really good this playtest. Give me separate jump and jet binds, bring back loadouts, maybe add vehicles, and I'm good.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I kinda wish Tribes Vengeance cought on, I loved the design of everything in that game. Now whenever I see another tribes game regardless of what it is, I always compare it to that. Only in graphics mind you, I bought it when it was new but I could never really play it online due to how choppy the netcode was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Whitenoise Poster posted:

My demands for the new Tribes game is to please include every weapon, pack, vehicle, grenade, base equipment ect ect from Tribes 2. Thank you in advance.

Just license and modernize torque for a tribes 2 remake imhotbqh