Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

oh boy I am not good at tribes anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Jehde posted:

Both BE and DS seemed like a bunch of dorks. I have no idea what the other tribes are like though, as an Ascend baby.

The Children of Phoenix are the people who followed Mark Hamill out into unexplored space. His brother, Emperor Mark Hamill ordered the Imperial Knights to chase him down where they became the Blood Eagles. The other two Tribes splintered off from the first two to pursue their own interests; Diamond Sword to become bigger weeaboos, and Starwolf to become bigger furries.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Dec 10, 2023

Orv
May 4, 2011

7c Nickel posted:

The Children of Phoenix are the people who followed Mark Hamill out into unexplored space. His brother, Emperor Mark Hamill ordered the Imperial Knights to chase him down where they became the Blood Eagles. The other two clans splintered off from the first two to pursue their own interests; Diamond Sword to become bigger weeaboos, and Starwolf to become bigger furries.

Hold on that's just Battletech

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Orv posted:

Hold on that's just Battletech

How dare you say such a thing.

The giant robots were called Hercs, so it's not similar at all.

Brooks Cracktackle
Oct 17, 2008

I thought this was going to be lovely when I heard 5v5 but it was actually really good, the 12v12 was more fun though.

I missed Tribes. Right now this felt like kind of a mix between T1 and Ascend, we'll see where it goes.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
VGW

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
tribes is inherently win im afraid. i think 5v5 will be good for learning the ropes

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

7c Nickel posted:

How dare you say such a thing.

The giant robots were called Hercs, so it's not similar at all.

There was an actual Earthsiege board game at one point, right? Or did I dream that up?

slandergoose
Jun 24, 2023
I ended up playing a bit in this playtest again, spent most of the time 12v12 and it was a blast. I'm pretty drat hyped.

My favorite Tribes game was T2 so I'm really hoping they carry over some of those playmodes/vehicles.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Traveller posted:

There was an actual Earthsiege board game at one point, right? Or did I dream that up?

I don't think there was an Earthsiege table top game, but there was one in Starsiege: Rebellion.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
SHAZBOT

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Ohtori Akio posted:

tribes is inherently win im afraid. i think 5v5 will be good for learning the ropes

That's just for the playtest. Pretty sure they said in an interview that the full release would have 32 vs 32!

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
The game is fun. Got on comms with a guy who taught me how to be an rear end in a top hat of a heavy with mines, a bubble shield, and moving the flag under the base next to the generator

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Tribes 2 was the last shooter/action game in which I was good enough to have fun and be a decent teammate, though not necessarily at the same time.

What a fantastic game.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
Were Vengeance and Ascend so poorly received that these guys can be like “No, THIS is Tribes 3”?

I remember Vengeance had smaller maps, but it also had a fun grappling hook.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Vengeance definitely had an air of “Not a REAL Tribes” response at the time, though I think people were unfair about it and its skiing might even be better than Ascend’s. Ascend did really well initially and then had long content and patch droughts, which is rough since it was definitively placed as a live service game. The dogshit monetization of Ascend didn’t help either and by the time they finally introduced their “Here’s everything for $20” option it was already way too late.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I gave Vengeance a try because of the Rivals playtest and the movement is really good. Idk about better than Ascend but definitely better than Rivals.

That campaign though…

Orv
May 4, 2011
Ascend has a really crisp smoothness to its skiing and the sense of speed is pretty much perfect. Vengeance has this almost chunky weightiness to it, kind of like they took 2’s skiing and just made it look good instead of like a glitch. They’re both great but I think my money is on Vengeance just a bit.

It’s been ages since I tried the campaign but what memories I do have of it are not fond.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Orv posted:

Ascend has a really crisp smoothness to its skiing and the sense of speed is pretty much perfect. Vengeance has this almost chunky weightiness to it, kind of like they took 2’s skiing and just made it look good instead of like a glitch. They’re both great but I think my money is on Vengeance just a bit.

It’s been ages since I tried the campaign but what memories I do have of it are not fond.

There’s this whole weirdly ambitious (bad) story about how the imperial princess gets abducted on a tribal world and her rough and ready tribal abductor teaches her to ski (clear sign of true love). Then fast forward 20 years and you play as their mixed race daughter who is extremely racist and just wants to teach you the multiplayer game modes kill tribals. And that’s basically just the tutorial! there’s a whole plot and multiple other player characters after that where Princess Racist learns to not be so racist and also how it was all a sinister conspiracy by those goddamn imperials.

not sure the world was ready for a Tribes campaign tbh. Certainly not with 2004 tech

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
https://twitter.com/Tribes3Rivals/status/1735387172369289572

Shazbot etc.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
time 2 disc

Orv
May 4, 2011
That's some Tribes alright. Little slower than Ascend it seems like and I still think some of the Ascend weapon balance and the added hitscan guns are a bit off but it's a really good foundation.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

slandergoose posted:

My favorite Tribes game was T2 so I'm really hoping they carry over some of those playmodes/vehicles.

I honestly couldn't pick between Tribes 1 or 2 as my favorite but i love them both for different reasons

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I'll be honest, I love grappling hooks and wish they were in every game.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I like the pre match countdown noises in this game. Very hype

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
All the sound mixing seems to have gotten some love

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Lights are still absolutely useless

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Jimlit posted:

Lights are still absolutely useless

Still have the Ascend issue of not enough mobility difference from Mediums?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

MadHat posted:

Still have the Ascend issue of not enough mobility difference from Mediums?

The recent update changed a bunch of the physics and they are in a pretty bad spot right now

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug
*Ahem* I've got your number, I've got all your numbers.

That is all.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

yeah it's an alpha, it stutters fairly often and one match i got teleported to the edge of the map randomly

it's fun though

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Having quite a bit of lag issues this patch, rubberbanding while skiing is pretty jarring. I did manage to score a hat trick though :toot:

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
skiing and jetting feel much better to me this playtest, especially for lights. they also got the chaingun to make chasing easier

I just want T2 Classic with modern graphics

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
My big concern for this one would be speed and movement, especially when HiRez was nerfing speed and any new metas as soon as people started doing it in Ascend.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I saw a trick in the discord that if you release the ski button when not actually skiing on the downs and flats that it will improve your flight and it absolutely does. Lights feel a lot better now now that I know what I’m doing.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
I wish they’d run the tests for a little longer and on a night when I don’t have to close. :argh:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Playtests are on right now and this game is sick as gently caress

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
Two important questions to all goons who have played, is there a fusion mortar and does it gib everything but heavies with a direct hit?

God I love the mortar in Tribes, that feel when you nail someone with that green basketball at 200m with your flag. :rock:

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yes and yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Having issues connecting, getting this anti-cheat error:

Anyone know of an easy fix?

EDIT: If anyone else is having issues, just verify your game files in Steam.

fadam fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jan 5, 2024