Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
glad to see the addition of the shocklance and underground generators. skiing and jet control are better too

I'm starting to have some faith they can pull this off! I'm still not a fan of perks though.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 5, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wilko
Dec 3, 2013

:toot:
There's a draft tourney going on in a couple of weeks if anyone is interested
https://rivalsrumble.com/

I've put myself in for europe, should be a laugh if nothing else, been having a bunch of fun with the playtests

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
even for someone bad at games it has a lotta feel good moments

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8CwDjnCatI

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Playtest is live, but only 7v7 at the moment.

Voice commands are in, including Shazbot!

SHUBNIGGURATHS CLIT
Jan 6, 2005

you're
Killed a heavy with 4 back to back aerial blue plates. I will never grow old and I will never die.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

The new ground control is pretty fun to play with, and hitting those midairs more easily feels good. The balance feels a bit off though, and matches feel small and limited with only 7v7 players and first to three caps instead of five. The new VGS system seems mostly useless, but my muscle memory is based on ascend's VGS system.

kneelbeforezog
Nov 13, 2019
i play light but whats the secret to some guys jet packing so high?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

prob skiing then add jet pack at the crest of the hill

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Crossposting since I just thought to look and see if there was a thread for this:

Twenty Four posted:

Tribes 1 holds a special place in my heart, my computer couldn't run 2 very well, never played Vengeance, and I actually really liked Ascend despite its shortcomings especially once some things got ironed out.

I just played the alpha for Tribes 3: Rivals the other day with a friend. The skiing feels... bad so far (I was able to speed up on flat ground by just walking forward and holding ski somehow, and the physics just feel off), but I think it's still really early alpha. Most of the weapons didn't feel great either. To be fair I was drinking heavily at the time, but I think I've got enough Tribes hours under my belt to have a pretty good feel for how it should be.

I don't have any other real news, not sure if anyone else does. Hopefully it goes somewhere, fingers crossed I guess.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
It's going to go into early access in February. Probably around 20$. I expect it to be a shitshow.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

new mode is bombing run. it kinda sucks

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

It owns actually. It's team rabbit 2 but with 2 active flags instead of just the 1. Lots of bugs though, so hopefully the patch they're pushing out this afternoon fixes those and I can get back to dunking bombs into the enemy base.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

I only played 2 rounds, but it seems like the only way to defend your base from bombs is with a gun instead of a projectile weapon because attackers never need to touch the ground

and guns in tribes are stupid

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Inept posted:

I only played 2 rounds, but it seems like the only way to defend your base from bombs is with a gun instead of a projectile weapon because attackers never need to touch the ground

and guns in tribes are stupid

sounds like a skill issue brother

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Ultra renegades mod when?

Brooks Cracktackle
Oct 17, 2008

Most importantly, you can VGS now

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Brooks Cracktackle posted:

Most importantly, you can VGS now

game gud

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
so there's a new game mode Team Hunters but I have to play 7 more games to unlock it and regular 7v7 CTF

lol wtf is this lame poo poo

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Honour bomb was really fun. It was too easy to score, but the foundation is very promising.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Man it's early access so things might change but this is really missing a whole bunch of stuff I like from Tribes 2.

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Hope the experience gets better, and appreciate those of you posting updates about the game. Wish I could pick it up now, but time is finite.

edit to at least add some content:

Ohtori Akio posted:

sounds like a skill issue brother

When Tribes 2 was out, I was still playing the occasional shooter. Nothing in any of those games was as satisfying as hitting someone flying between slopes with a well-timed disc.

rojay fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jan 31, 2024

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

The last couple patches have made it really easy to get midair hits, which kind of diminishes the satisfaction from them.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Gonna post this here. I'm glad to see this game get a revival!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFBa6EBvpAg

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
March 12th has been announced for early access.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2687970/view/4156330431175830305

quote:

What is TRIBES 3: Rivals?

TRIBES 3: Rivals is a team-based first person shooter that elevates the genre with jetpacks, skiing, and class-based warfare.

Players ski, jetpack, battle, and race to capture the enemy team’s flag, all while ferociously defending their own. Players can choose from unique classes to customize their abilities, perks, and weapon loadouts, while moving across epic terrains from snow covered peaks to haunting deserts. Teamwork, tactics, high speed, and intense combat reign supreme in this rebirth of the world’s fastest shooter.

What makes the game unique?

Dynamic Movement: Jetpack flight and skiing allow unparalleled freedom and fluidity in movement across the battlefield.

Capture the Flag: The core of the game lies in its intense team based capture-the-flag mode, demanding individual skill along with strategic team play.

Stunning Environments: Navigate beautiful and complex maps from arid deserts to icy mountains, each designed to offer a different gameplay experience.

Loadout Customization: Tailor your character with a wide array of weapons, skins, perks, and abilities, offering endless ways to compete and strategize.

Class Based Gameplay: Light, medium, and heavy classes allow you to play your way. Light classes excel in speed, medium classes offer mobility and firepower, and heavy classes bring formidable armor and weapons to the fray.

Custom Matches and Modes: Users can create custom matches that offer different team sizes, physics, maps, and more.

Community Focused Development: The game is crafted with input from the TRIBES community, ensuring an experience that honors the series' legacy while introducing fresh elements to keep gameplay exciting and engaging.

What is the core game mode for TRIBES 3?

The core game mode for TRIBES 3 is CTF (“capture the flag”), which can be played in a competitive or casual format. The competitive format features teams of 7 v. 7, while the more casual format has larger scale teams of 16 v. 16.

Additional game modes are available as well, like Time Trials, a Shooting Range, the Tutorial, and Custom Lobbies with adjustable team sizes, physics, and settings.

When is the official early access release date for TRIBES 3?

The official early access release date for TRIBES 3: Rivals is March 12, 2024. To keep up with the latest news, wishlist TRIBES 3 on Steam and join our Discord!

What is the price for TRIBES 3?

The base edition of TRIBES 3: Rivals will be available for $17.99 on Steam for a limited time, as part of the game’s early access launch. This is a 10% discount off the full game price of $19.99!

Premium editions of the TRIBES 3 game will also be available which include additional cosmetics, at a higher price. More details can be found on Steam.

Are there microtransactions in the game?

There may be limited microtransactions for cosmetic content only.

Additionally, there are a variety of earnable cosmetics in the game, such as weapon skins, character suits, player banners, player icons, and player titles.

Where can players access TRIBES 3, and what regions will it be available in?

TRIBES 3: Rivals will be available on PC through Steam, and may release on the Epic Game Store, PlayStation, and Xbox at a later time.

TRIBES 3 currently has dedicated servers available for players in North America, Europe, Asia, Latin America, and Oceania.

Will cross console play be supported?

We may support cross console play in the future, but it is not available at this time. TRIBES 3 is currently only available on PC.

What is the TRIBES franchise?

The first TRIBES game dates back to the 1990s, and is one of the original first person shooter games that inspired several others over the last few decades. TRIBES games are known for their fast paced movement through jetpacking and skiing, and capture the flag gameplay.

Is the game still approachable if I’m new to TRIBES?

Absolutely! TRIBES 3 has a lot in common with most first person shooters, and skiing and jetpacking can be learned quickly. We also offer in-game tutorials so you can easily practice, and our community is always happy to give tips and advice to new players.

What languages is TRIBES 3 available in?

TRIBES 3 can be played in the following languages (adjustable in our ‘settings’ menu):

Chinese (Simplified)
English
French
German
Japanese
Korean
Brazilian Portuguese
Russian
Spanish
Ukrainian

What are the system requirements for the game?

Current minimum and recommended specs can be found below for TRIBES 3: Rivals.

MINIMUM:
Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
Processor: Intel i5-4690 or AMD Ryzen 5 1500X
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB or Radeon RX 6500XT
DirectX: Version 12
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Storage: 10 GB available space
RECOMMENDED:
Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
Processor: Intel i7-11700 or AMD Ryzen 5 5600
Memory: 12 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA RTX 2080 or Radeon RX6700
DirectX: Version 12
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Storage: 10 GB available space

How can I keep up with TRIBES 3: Rivals, and learn more about the game?

Our Steam page and Discord are the best ways to keep up with latest on TRIBES 3:

Steam Page: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2687970/TRIBES_3_Rivals/
Official Discord: discord.gg/tribes

You can also follow us on Twitter, Twitch, YouTube, and TikTok for more!

GAME FAQ

How will ranked gameplay work?

The core game mode for ranked play will initially be 7 v. 7 Capture the Flag. Ranked play systems are similar to those of most current shooters, such as Valorant and Apex. We expect to provide more detailed information on ranked play at a later time.

What classes will the game have?

Light, medium, and heavy classes will be available in game. Light classes excel in speed and offensive roles, medium classes excel at versatility and midfield roles, and heavy classes excel in power and defensive roles.

Can players customize their weapon and ability loadouts?

Yes, weapon loadouts can be customized depending on your preference and classes. We currently offer a variety of weapons and equipment to choose from such as:

Spinfusors: In light, medium, and heavy formats, with several variants
Launchers: Bolt, Fusion Mortars, Gladiator, etc.
Grenades: AP, EMP, Frag, Impulse, Mine, Nitron, Sticky, Smoke
Packs: Blink, Turret, Phase, Regen Station, Stealth, Thrust
Shields: Dome, Heavy, Standard
Sniper Rifles: Phase
Pistols and Shotguns: Nova Colt, Sparrow
Other: Chain Gun, Shocklance, Thumper

Weapon loadouts and balance may change over time, based on player feedback.

Are there any hit scan weapons in the game?

All weapons are projectile only in the game, with the exception of the shotgun and shocklance which are hit scan.

Do weapons need to be unlocked?

Weapons do not need to be unlocked in the game. Additionally, all non-cosmetic items will be easily accessible to players.

Can players use perks to play different styles of the game?

Yes, there are 6 different perks to choose from: ‘Pathfinder’, ‘Sentinel’, ‘Raider’, ‘Technician’, ‘Doombringer’, and ‘Juggernaut’, which can affect your movement, damage, flag capturing or defending abilities, and other key gameplay elements!

Perks can be chosen based on your class (Light, Medium, or Heavy), and style preference (Offense or Defense).

What maps are available to play?

7 maps are currently available with various types of terrain, including:

Katabatic: A snowy, slope-filled map that combines the excitement of high-speed chases with the beauty of a winter landscape, offering a cool and thrilling experience.

Wavemist: Navigate through a misty, island-like terrain with varied elevations, blending strategic challenges with fun, dynamic movement.

DryDock: Set in a large desert environment with industrial structures, this map offers a mix of open spaces for high-speed action and strategic points for tactical plays.

Dangerous Crossing: Experience the excitement of tightrope-like maneuvers on narrow bridges and chasms, offering a blend of tactical positioning and fun, agile gameplay.

Torment: Traverse a steep volcanic landscape, where players can enjoy the fun of expansive terrain and rocky mountains.

Hollow: Fly through a jungle filled with towering trees, sprawling roots, and vines.

Raindance: Glide through a series of plains, hills, towers, and bridges that create a wide array of combat options.

What is the maximum number of players that can join a single game?

Match sizes of up to 32 players are supported. You can also play with your friends in parties of up to four players in casual modes, such as 16 v. 16 CTF (“Capture the Flag”).

Will custom matches be supported?

Yes! Custom matches allow players to select from a variety of maps, adjust their team sizes, and configure game settings such as player health, energy, thrust, and gravity.

Will vehicles be available in TRIBES 3: Rivals?

Vehicles may be available in the far future, but will not be available during the early access phase.

Is there health regeneration in the game?

Players do not passively regenerate health over time. To regain health in a match, players can pick up health nuggets from players they eliminate, or recall to their base.

Will the game be protected against hacks or cheating?

Yes. We use multiple internal and external systems to protect against cheating or hacks in game. We have a variety of systems in place to catch and report any cheaters, and warn or ban them when necessary. We use Easy Anti Cheat in game, and have been evaluating Denuvo Anti Cheat for use as well.

Does TRIBES 3 include any accessibility features?

We offer the ability to change the reticle color of weapons to support players who are color blind or impaired, and the ability to adjust in-game volume for players who are hearing impaired.

Does TRIBES 3 include a VGS (Voice Game System?)

VGY (Yes!)

Is there a support system if I run into issues playing the game?

Yes, gameplay related issues can be reported in our Discord, through email, and at Early Access we will have our helpdesk set up on our website.

I’m a Content Creator, how can I get involved with TRIBES 3?

Please join our Discord, and submit a support ticket to become a Creator! You’re also welcome to use our Creator kit for free which includes our logo, game screenshots, outros, fonts, b-roll, etc.

Thanks for your support! We’re excited to create this game with the community. We hope you have as much fun playing the game, as we’ve had making it. Please note the game roadmap and FAQ may change over time, based on feedback.

– Prophecy Games

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

They backtracked on definitely having vehicles and 64 player maps. Boo

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I don't think vehicles or 64 players were ever a serious consideration, they were always focused on a smaller scale with this iteration of tribes. If you just want to play tribes 2 again, you can just play tribes 2.

What is notably missing from the early access announcement is the super fun small scale team rabbit 2 mode that was in previous playtests called honour ball. Sounds like the current plan from the developers is that they want to break out honour ball into a separate game they want to make, which I'm ambivalent about.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Jehde posted:

What is notably missing from the early access announcement is the super fun small scale team rabbit 2 mode that was in previous playtests called honour ball. Sounds like the current plan from the developers is that they want to break out honour ball into a separate game they want to make, which I'm ambivalent about.

Sounds like you should go play tribes 2 :D

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-uHSx-YrSA

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
the game needs to add more tribes

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

add bioderms

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
want more tribes? maybe you should play tribes 2 :smug:

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Psycho Society posted:

want more tribes? maybe you should play tribes 2 :smug:

This but unironically https://www.tribesnext.com/

It is a bit weird how some of the maps will have the flags for the 4 different tribes around the edge, but then they don't seem to entertain the idea of the different tribes existing as everyone is like some vague diamond sword looking player model. Who are the rivals?

At least Tribes Ascend had distinct blood eagle vs diamond sword teams, with different style voice lines for each.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

My only exposure to Tribes was Ascend and I learned many important things about it: I need lots of practice with the Spinfusor, almost nobody guards the base and generator, and Ascend's leveling grind and monetization were horrendous. I lost interest after Hi-Rez sharp turned to Smite and left Tribes to wither on the vine. I'll keep an eye on this and see if things turn out better.

SHAZBOT.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

This game had its early release happen today. In a pretty baffling choice, they made it so that you're forced to play your first 5 matches against bots. The lead developer said it's a good way to introduce new players... By having uncontested 5-0 wins that last less than 5 minutes, because they just consist of the few actual players in the matches llama grabbing the undefended flag and walking back to base with barely a scratch :psyduck:

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I'll be waiting for first impressions. Looking at the store page they're really pushing the extra purchases.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
At least the store options are only cosmetic afaik.

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Grimthwacker posted:

My only exposure to Tribes was Ascend and I learned many important things about it: I need lots of practice with the Spinfusor, almost nobody guards the base and generator,

SHAZBOT.

Can't speak to the experience with Ascend, but guarding the flag was most of what I did in Tribes 2. My twitch muscles were already aged by that point, and I've never been good at learning maps in first-person shooters, but I could lay down some turrets and surprise people who didn't expect anyone to be playing defense. I wasn't an early adopter to Tribes but I had a lot of fun with it; mainly with friends but also in random games. I'd only rarely run into people spamming chat with racist stuff and sometimes other random players would thank me for playing defense/support.

Hope this game turns out well.

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

I want Tribes to be popular more than any other game, but I don't think the servers will still even be up by the time I got good again. I was going into Rivals skeptical after how Ascend ended, but I'm not about to get fooled again for a much worse version of the game.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

It's only a worse version of the game if your main metrics for what makes a good tribes game is player count in matches and vehicles existing. If you care more about jetpacks, skiing, and capture the flag gameplay, then Rivals is an improvement over Ascend. Neither perspective is more valid than the other, I have my own obvious bias.

The basis for the early access has some promise, but it's definitely still rough around the edges with some weird bugs here and there. Might be best to hold off for that "quality" patch at the end of the month. They'll probably still be running the nominal discount then.

rojay posted:

Can't speak to the experience with Ascend, but guarding the flag was most of what I did in Tribes 2. My twitch muscles were already aged by that point, and I've never been good at learning maps in first-person shooters, but I could lay down some turrets and surprise people who didn't expect anyone to be playing defense. I wasn't an early adopter to Tribes but I had a lot of fun with it; mainly with friends but also in random games. I'd only rarely run into people spamming chat with racist stuff and sometimes other random players would thank me for playing defense/support.

Hope this game turns out well.

As a primary capper secondary chaser, I love my HoF when I get one. If I'm feeling confident enough on my return with the enemy flag, I'll throw my HoF the flag to give them the cap they deserve for keeping things grounded at home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Jehde posted:

It's only a worse version of the game if your main metrics for what makes a good tribes game is player count in matches and vehicles existing.

This game has 1 mode and 7 maps. It’s a shell of a tribes game. It’s fun, but odds are good that they’re gonna abandon it within 9 months