Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
That roadmap is pretty sparse. Outside of the generic "fixing bugs and balancing" patches it's pretty much adding a new gun with "potential addition of new weapons" and 2 maps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Lol at the goon simping for this anemic diet rear end tribes game

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Worf posted:

Lol at the goon simping for this anemic diet rear end tribes game

Everyone is desperate for a good FPS that isn't just more battle Royale

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

evilmiera posted:

Everyone is desperate for a good FPS that isn't just more battle Royale

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2200/Quake_III_Arena/

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

You could have at least linked Quake Live, which is still pretty dead. Shame on me for appreciating any new FPS Z that is fun to play with new players.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Mar 13, 2024

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
If you’re old enough to care about Tribes you’ve probably spent :10bux::10bux: on much dumber things.
:shrug:

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
:10bux::10bux: on Tribes for a year is an okay trade for me. I certainly spend more money on games that I play a lot less of.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I spent $20 on Gundam Evo and enjoyed that, I’ll spend $20 on this

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Game is still Tribes and still owns

Goddamn Hippy
Jan 18, 2006
I loved the playtests, but with how the devs are handling criticism, fighting with players and blatently half assing this game I decided to keep my money.

The game is very fun, but the kind of in-fighting and community division that is happening is very repulsive. The game has yet to break 1000 concurrent players.

Pretty sad.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I want this to be good but I really just can't bring myself to get into anything Hi-Rez or Hi-Rez adjacent ever again.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Genuinely curious why Starsiege: Tribes could do so many things that more modern interactions just can't seem to land? I loved that game so much and played it until my eyes bled in the 90s. IMO tribes is a 64 vs 64 fps with vehicles and jetpacks. Anything else is a Halo clone. It seems odd to me that no one can repeat what was possible decades ago.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Jehde posted:

You could have at least linked Quake Live, which is still pretty dead. Shame on me for appreciating any new FPS Z that is fun to play with new players.

People are giving you grief cause your take is “If you want a modern Tribes game just play old Tribes” which is hilarious at best. Tribes is skiing and trick shots and capture the flag but the two old games everyone loved were also big player counts, vehicles and making a mess of the base with deployables.

This is half a Tribes game and they’ve basically already assured it’s gonna die. Which sucks!

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
i liked the demo a good bit but not sure if im gonna spend money on it when i have a million other game to play. hope the game kicks off at some point

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Virtual Russian posted:

Genuinely curious why Starsiege: Tribes could do so many things that more modern interactions just can't seem to land? I loved that game so much and played it until my eyes bled in the 90s. IMO tribes is a 64 vs 64 fps with vehicles and jetpacks. Anything else is a Halo clone. It seems odd to me that no one can repeat what was possible decades ago.

Friend, see also Myth: the Fallen Lords and Myth: Soulblighter. Nobody has done anything remotely as perfect as those games in the real-time tactical space and it boggles.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Sorry (not sorry) but 32v32 and vehicles is not what defines tribes gameplay to me, at all. It's set dressing. I find it baffling that so many grognards hold to those maximal metrics so righteously. It reminds me of the weird checkmark gating dweebs used to do by complaining endlessly about how modern games have matchmaking instead of community server browsers. If you don't want to play a 32v32 version of tribes with vehicles that is still being played... Play battlefield I guess? Or Planetside? Is that still being played? You have some options if match player count and vehicles is what matters most to you in a game. If you care more about fun skiing and capture the flag, things that do fundamentally define tribes gameplay to me, then there's a fun new option to play for :20bux:. As long as you're not weird about old standards that is.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Mar 15, 2024

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Jehde posted:

Sorry (not sorry) but 32v32 and vehicles is not what defines tribes gameplay to me, at all. I find it baffling that so many grognards hold to those maximal metrics so righteously. It reminds me of the weird checkmark gating dweebs used to do by complaining endlessly about how modern games have matchmaking instead of community server browsers. If you don't want to play a 32v32 version of tribes with vehicles that is still being played... Play battlefield I guess? Or Planetside? Is that still being played? You have some options if match player count and vehicles is what matters most to you in a game. If you care more about skiing and capture the flag, things that do fundamentally define tribes gameplay to me, then there's a fun new option to play for :20bux:. As long as you're not weird about old standards that is.

Lol, if anything the "gatekeeping" is coming from the people who only want hardcore CTF. I, and I'd wager many more like me, was always pretty at skiing and trickshotting effectively. The bigger games and vehicles meant that more people could tool around and repair bases and fly jets into mountainsides without the stress of performing well that smaller matches impose. I'd argue that it's to their detriment that all the modern Tribes pretenders only cater to the ultra-competitive who haven't stopped playing since '98.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
yeah big servers with lots of players make it easier to gently caress around and do your own thing and just generally have a good time
small servers with few players per team makes games feel a lot more competition focused and yeah "hardcore", and each mistake or misplay from one of the few players makes a bigger difference in the outcome of the round which can also increase ranked-matchmaking toxicity
although i can see how a target of 128v128 matches wouldn't really make sense for a small early access game since there just won't be the playercount

still i dont really have much desire to play super competitive 6v6 esports games nowadays

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Mar 15, 2024

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

They added a mechanic for players that only care about playing on the periphery, it's this outpost capping thing I do if I'm not feeling like capping/chasing the flag, or mortar spamming, or playing the generator, or any other number of roles that isn't "hardcore CTF"

It's just not as epic ftw as cramming as many players as you can onto a vehicle and laughing when it blows up.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Jehde posted:

I find it baffling that so many grognards hold to those maximal metrics so righteously.

Indeed goon sire

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Jehde posted:

They added a mechanic for players that only care about playing on the periphery, it's this outpost capping thing I do if I'm not feeling like capping/chasing the flag, or mortar spamming, or playing the generator, or any other number of roles that isn't "hardcore CTF"

It's just not as epic ftw as cramming as many players as you can onto a vehicle and laughing when it blows up.

Sounds like a boring Tribes game, op.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
as stated there is only one playable tribe so the game is really just tribe: rival

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2687970/view/6650200081102674591

They are changing the weapon/suit skin pass. You will earn a skin for each of your first 10 wins of the day, capped to 365 total skins with the pass. This pretty much gets rid of the FOMO people were feeling where missing a single day would mean a potential skin permanently lost from your purchase.

They are also going to add a 4v4 TDM queue.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2687970/view/6650200081102674591

quote:

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your feedback as part of early access, keep it coming! It’s been super helpful, and we’re going to make a few changes that have been suggested by the community ASAP to keep improving the TRIBES 3 experience.

We’re adding an extra patch (0.2.X) to our schedule, which we’re looking to get out tentatively around March 22nd (exact timing may vary). We wanted to share these changes with you beforehand, so you know roughly what to expect!

Summary of changes for next patch:

- Weapon skin and suit skin rewards will be awarded to you for each of your first 10 wins of the day, instead of being limited to just your first win of the day (effective in patch 0.2)

- VOIP (Voice Chat) will be enabled ON as Push-To-Talk by default in game, with an opt out option available at the starting menu.

- Bots in ranked will be clearly indicated

- We’re adding a queue for 4v4 TDM (Team Death Match)

Some other expected changes include:

- Being able to select your primary language upon starting the game.
- Being able to select your primary region upon starting the game.
- Options to disable VGS, and potentially a global limiter for VGS, to reduce spam.

Weapon skin and suit skin rewards will be awarded to you for each of your first 10 wins of the day, instead of being limited to just your first win of the day.

We got a lot of feedback around the cosmetics system feeling grindy or that it could create more FOMO. That was not our intention, so we’ve adjusted this system to keep what worked well (the ability to get lots of skins), and remove what didn’t (FOMO about not earning all skins in pass).

- We’ve increased the max number of skins you can earn from a weapon skins pass or suit skins pass to 10 per day (per pass), from the previous limit of 1 per day (per pass).

- The max amount of skins you can earn will stay capped at 365 per pass, just like before. That way, you’ll receive the same value (which respects earlier purchases made before), but skins can now be unlocked much faster without FOMO!
This change will be effective when our next patch (0.2) goes live, which we’re aiming for around March 22nd.

- For players who have already purchased the daily suit skins pass or daily weapon skins pass before the 0.2 patch, any skins you earn prior to the patch won’t be counted towards your cap of 365 skins per pass.

- We think this approach strikes a good balance of rewarding our early supporters, without being excessive and unfair to new purchasers later.

- We also want to respect any players who previously purchased these cosmetics passes, and feel this change does so, as it allows you to unlock the same value that was purchased, but at a faster pace and without punishing you if you fall behind.

- We also want to clear up a common question about the daily suit skin pass and daily weapon skin passes: there are actually many, many thousands of unique potential skins you can receive, which are created using a custom modularized system each time you earn a reward. This system produces skins by creating unique combinations of hundreds of custom designed components, color schemes, finishes and more that our in-house artists crafted. So don’t be concerned you’re missing out on a specific skin on a specific day, because that is not how the system works!

Bots will be clearly indicated in ranked modes

There was some confusion around how bots worked in Ranked, and we wanted to clear that up while also giving players improved information about the state of their team and the match.

- In ranked matches, bots are ONLY used to replace a disconnected player, and reserve the spot for that player to reconnect. The bots are designed so they will engage, but not go for the flag or impede their team-mates.

- Disconnects will now be clearly marked, so players in ranked matches will have a better understanding of what is taking place.

- As always, if a player reconnects back to a ranked match after being disconnected, they will replace the bot that held their spot.

VOIP (Voice Chat) will be enabled ON as Push-To-Talk by default in game, with an opt out option available at the starting menu

- We received a lot of feedback that in-game communication could be improved, and we believe that defaulting voice chat to ON as Push-To-Talk will create a more social experience for the community.

- We’ll also include the option to opt out of voice chat up front to respect any users who do not want to participate in voice chat.

We’re adding a queue for 4v4 TDM (Team Death Match)

- Our community loves CTF, but we also got a lot of feedback that TRIBES 3 could benefit from more variety in game modes.

- TDM was the most commonly requested game mode in all of our feedback surveys.

- The small scale of the TDM mode (4v4) allows for a different team size format, which mixes things up as well.

Thank you again for being part of the TRIBES community. The level of passion and care that you bring to the franchise is unique and extraordinary. Hop in, grab some friends, and let’s fly!

- Prophecy Games

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Mar 16, 2024

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Patchnotes posted:

- Bots in ranked

:psyduck:

Was bewildered at this at first, but it sounds like a really smart way to use bots in that context actually.

I'm too bad at this game to care about ranked, but I am glad to hear it is getting its fair share of attention.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Virtual Russian posted:

rojay posted:

Friend, see also Myth: the Fallen Lords and Myth: Soulblighter. Nobody has done anything remotely as perfect as those games in the real-time tactical space and it boggles.

Making good videos game is lostech. The wise ancients once could. But in our fallen age we can only make sad, pale imitations of glory long past.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

honest question -- does this game have katabatic?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

omg chael crash posted:

honest question -- does this game have katabatic?

It has a map called Katabatic.

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Ain't no way it's the Katabatic I know and love if this poo poo isn't playing constantly.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

quote:

- VOIP (Voice Chat) will be enabled ON as Push-To-Talk by default in game

no

quote:

- Options to disable VGS, and potentially a global limiter for VGS, to reduce spam.
NO

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
what the gently caress man........

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Ugh. just make T2 Classic with modern graphics, half a dozen game modes, and some cosmetic purchases ( I'd pay for a Bioderm skin)

ffs it can't be hard. I wish the community made projects would take off, a couple of those have had the right ideas

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
tribes 2 remastered with matchmaking and ranked etc would kick rear end yeah

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
There's cosmetic DLCs, one skin every day. The catch? You can only unlock that day's skin if you log in and win at least one match.

And you have to buy the privilege to do so.

Why we can't just choose Diamond Sword, or Blood Eagles right from the get-go I don't understand

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
you receive a randomly generated color combo skin when you win a game. okay

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

You can! You just need to pay an extra 40 bux for the respective DLC pack. :shepspends:

The cosmetics monetization scheme is baffling to me. But at least it is only cosmetics, and doesn't impact how fun the base game is.

Prophecy out there whale hunting I guess.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
has anyone ever made a game where the teams are different colors, possibly alongside a distinct theme and visual style, like they had something in common? I don't know what a word for that would for be

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

a dmc delorean posted:

There's cosmetic DLCs, one skin every day. The catch? You can only unlock that day's skin if you log in and win at least one match.

Luckily that is going to change to unlocking 10 skins per day, so you can skip days and still unlock the full 365 days worth of skins.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Psycho Society posted:

has anyone ever made a game where the teams are different colors, possibly alongside a distinct theme and visual style, like they had something in common? I don't know what a word for that would for be

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Managed to score myself another hat trick, on Raindance this time. This game is still so fun to just jump in and start capping flags and shooting blue plate specials. The only thing that's annoying me now is that all the veteran players only want to play on Raindance or Dangerous Crossing, so while there's a few other maps that are fun to play on that come up during the map vote, it's always one of those that gets the vast majority of votes. Can get a bit repetitive after too long.