Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Arzachel posted:

Yeah, Tribes: Ascend. It was pretty good but Hi-Rez pulled the plug after a while. This one's made by a subsidiary of Hi-Rez so I wouldn't be surprised if they're building off of Ascend's source code.

Supposedly it was a subsidiary of Hirez that split off and formed a new independent studio. Also supposedly this has only really been an idea for like a couple months. It looks like they're reusing a lot of old assets, but it's all on Unreal Engine 5 now.

I only heard about this the other day but I got into the playtest too. I've been enjoying getting flag captures, returns, and blue plate specials again like a coke fiend diving into a pile of coke. About the same spiking of adrenaline going on.

The jets and air-control feel pretty anemic, and there's this weird effect where you feel magnetized to the surface a lot. Lots of features including key binds, loadout functionality, quick communication commands, all that sort of stuff is still missing, this is still an early alpha. But it is possible to have a good but small match of Tribes with this barebones alpha. Including full inheritance spinfusors from the start is great.

Something I found interesting is that they're now enclosing the maps into more deliberate arenas, with curved corners at each end, and a vague implication of an audience in skyboxes just behind them. The minimap looks like a hockey rink.

I'm looking forward to finally playing some more Tribes after Midair fell off a cliff. Hopefully both today as the playtest plays out its remainder, and after it successfully launches as a complete game.

There's probably something with the physics they need to fix, but it mostly feels like they just need to tweak things and add more content and polish on the already pretty promising core.

Edit: Loadouts seem to be working as expected now.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Dec 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

By the end of the play test my muscle memory was really wanting to reflexively use the Voice Game System, to announce flag grabs, congratulate shots, everything. It really started to tap back into that lizard brain I forgot I had.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Both BE and DS seemed like a bunch of dorks. I have no idea what the other tribes are like though, as an Ascend baby.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Hopping into 12v12 matches and just jumping right into a cap/chase game has been really really good this playtest. Give me separate jump and jet binds, bring back loadouts, maybe add vehicles, and I'm good.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Having quite a bit of lag issues this patch, rubberbanding while skiing is pretty jarring. I did manage to score a hat trick though :toot:

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

The new ground control is pretty fun to play with, and hitting those midairs more easily feels good. The balance feels a bit off though, and matches feel small and limited with only 7v7 players and first to three caps instead of five. The new VGS system seems mostly useless, but my muscle memory is based on ascend's VGS system.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

It owns actually. It's team rabbit 2 but with 2 active flags instead of just the 1. Lots of bugs though, so hopefully the patch they're pushing out this afternoon fixes those and I can get back to dunking bombs into the enemy base.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Honour bomb was really fun. It was too easy to score, but the foundation is very promising.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

The last couple patches have made it really easy to get midair hits, which kind of diminishes the satisfaction from them.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I don't think vehicles or 64 players were ever a serious consideration, they were always focused on a smaller scale with this iteration of tribes. If you just want to play tribes 2 again, you can just play tribes 2.

What is notably missing from the early access announcement is the super fun small scale team rabbit 2 mode that was in previous playtests called honour ball. Sounds like the current plan from the developers is that they want to break out honour ball into a separate game they want to make, which I'm ambivalent about.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Psycho Society posted:

want more tribes? maybe you should play tribes 2 :smug:

This but unironically https://www.tribesnext.com/

It is a bit weird how some of the maps will have the flags for the 4 different tribes around the edge, but then they don't seem to entertain the idea of the different tribes existing as everyone is like some vague diamond sword looking player model. Who are the rivals?

At least Tribes Ascend had distinct blood eagle vs diamond sword teams, with different style voice lines for each.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

This game had its early release happen today. In a pretty baffling choice, they made it so that you're forced to play your first 5 matches against bots. The lead developer said it's a good way to introduce new players... By having uncontested 5-0 wins that last less than 5 minutes, because they just consist of the few actual players in the matches llama grabbing the undefended flag and walking back to base with barely a scratch :psyduck:

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

It's only a worse version of the game if your main metrics for what makes a good tribes game is player count in matches and vehicles existing. If you care more about jetpacks, skiing, and capture the flag gameplay, then Rivals is an improvement over Ascend. Neither perspective is more valid than the other, I have my own obvious bias.

The basis for the early access has some promise, but it's definitely still rough around the edges with some weird bugs here and there. Might be best to hold off for that "quality" patch at the end of the month. They'll probably still be running the nominal discount then.

rojay posted:

Can't speak to the experience with Ascend, but guarding the flag was most of what I did in Tribes 2. My twitch muscles were already aged by that point, and I've never been good at learning maps in first-person shooters, but I could lay down some turrets and surprise people who didn't expect anyone to be playing defense. I wasn't an early adopter to Tribes but I had a lot of fun with it; mainly with friends but also in random games. I'd only rarely run into people spamming chat with racist stuff and sometimes other random players would thank me for playing defense/support.

Hope this game turns out well.

As a primary capper secondary chaser, I love my HoF when I get one. If I'm feeling confident enough on my return with the enemy flag, I'll throw my HoF the flag to give them the cap they deserve for keeping things grounded at home.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

You could have at least linked Quake Live, which is still pretty dead. Shame on me for appreciating any new FPS Z that is fun to play with new players.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Mar 13, 2024

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Sorry (not sorry) but 32v32 and vehicles is not what defines tribes gameplay to me, at all. It's set dressing. I find it baffling that so many grognards hold to those maximal metrics so righteously. It reminds me of the weird checkmark gating dweebs used to do by complaining endlessly about how modern games have matchmaking instead of community server browsers. If you don't want to play a 32v32 version of tribes with vehicles that is still being played... Play battlefield I guess? Or Planetside? Is that still being played? You have some options if match player count and vehicles is what matters most to you in a game. If you care more about fun skiing and capture the flag, things that do fundamentally define tribes gameplay to me, then there's a fun new option to play for :20bux:. As long as you're not weird about old standards that is.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Mar 15, 2024

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

They added a mechanic for players that only care about playing on the periphery, it's this outpost capping thing I do if I'm not feeling like capping/chasing the flag, or mortar spamming, or playing the generator, or any other number of roles that isn't "hardcore CTF"

It's just not as epic ftw as cramming as many players as you can onto a vehicle and laughing when it blows up.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Patchnotes posted:

- Bots in ranked

:psyduck:

Was bewildered at this at first, but it sounds like a really smart way to use bots in that context actually.

I'm too bad at this game to care about ranked, but I am glad to hear it is getting its fair share of attention.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

You can! You just need to pay an extra 40 bux for the respective DLC pack. :shepspends:

The cosmetics monetization scheme is baffling to me. But at least it is only cosmetics, and doesn't impact how fun the base game is.

Prophecy out there whale hunting I guess.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Managed to score myself another hat trick, on Raindance this time. This game is still so fun to just jump in and start capping flags and shooting blue plate specials. The only thing that's annoying me now is that all the veteran players only want to play on Raindance or Dangerous Crossing, so while there's a few other maps that are fun to play on that come up during the map vote, it's always one of those that gets the vast majority of votes. Can get a bit repetitive after too long.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

They re-added honour ball and it's still so dang fun. So much for breaking it out into a separate game I guess.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Looks like the devs responded to criticism of capping being too hard by giving heavies instakill shield walls. This game was pretty fun while it lasted in the early stages but the devs seem determined to smother any potential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Yes.