Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which 2023 game do you think will win Something Awful’s Game of the Year award?
This poll is closed.
Dead Space 5 5.10%
Metroid Prime 15 15.31%
Resident Evil 4 17 17.35%
Super Mario RPG 37 37.76%
System Shock 24 24.49%
Total: 98 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
One of the things that annoyed the gently caress out of me with DAI is how they introduced the antagonist for DAI via the DLC to DA2.

And then they did the exact same thing again by having Solas's reveal as an antagonist be a thing from DLC.

Baffling decision.

DAI's story is so bad and I think it had the worst overall companion selection in the series. But I wonder how they set things up with DA4. I'm sure there are still tens of people who are champing at the bit to find out what happens with Egg Elf, but a vast majority of players are going to people who haven't played DAI or played DAI a decade ago and remember nothing.

The game is going to be a mess. I'm curious to see it, but I don't expect it to be good in the slightest. There was only one good Dragon Age game and everything else has been various degrees of bad to boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Online da2 defenders are more irritating than da:i defenders to me so i like da:i more

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
I gave tried Dragon Age: Inquisition with Gamepass and it was one of the worst games I've ever played.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I liked GTA 4 I guess but every time I got to the third island I had gotten bored and stopped with the campaign

DA2 and DAI are both good games I enjoyed despite their many flaws

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

DAO is the only one that was worth playing and I'm willing to bet it's aged badly.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I still need to go back and play Sifu :negative: I need to restart from scratch now and learn again, though I only made it up to like the second boss.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

stev posted:

DAO is the only one that was worth playing and I'm willing to bet it's aged badly.

It's still loving wild to me that we haven't seen a DAO remaster. That game is 15 years old at this point. And you're right that it was the only good DA game.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Mordiceius posted:

It's still loving wild to me that we haven't seen a DAO remaster. That game is 15 years old at this point. And you're right that it was the only good DA game.

it's probably that they don't see any real profit coming out of remastering an ancient RTwP game for release in 2023 or beyond, especially now that the GoT ship the first game patterned itself so heavily after has left the port

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Vermain posted:

it's probably that they don't see any real profit coming out of remastering an ancient RTwP game for release in 2023 or beyond, especially now that the GoT ship the first game patterned itself so heavily after has left the port

I wonder if the success of BG3 has changed their mind at all. I know it's not a perfect 1-to-1 between the two games, but I feel like DAO is closer to a Baldur's Gate than a Witcher 3.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Game of Thrones? That has to have come out after DAO

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Mordiceius posted:

I wonder if the success of BG3 has changed their mind at all. I know it's not a perfect 1-to-1 between the two games, but I feel like DAO is closer to a Baldur's Gate than a Witcher 3.

RTwP is the big sticking point, since it's just not a very popular mode of gameplay, especially when all the games you've released after that have taken an increasingly strong action bent. they'd need to do some kind of FF7R system, but that'd require a lot more development time than i think they'd be willing to put into it

Jay Rust posted:

Game of Thrones? That has to have come out after DAO

the show didn't come out until a few years after, but the first four GoT novels were making the rounds while DA:O was in development and made a huge splash in fantasy circles. the overall gritty atmosphere, focus on backstabbing politics, and the broader strokes of plot and setting (continent of bickering human kingdoms that were once united ages ago, an ancient evil force that corrupts people, a sworn and secretive order dedicated to fighting the evil force) were clearly drawing from it, although there's also a lot of inspiration coming from the earlier released witcher game (mages corralled into a single big institution that controls them, elven racism)

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

It's okay to like bad games. I like quite a few bad games myself.

but if i like it, how can it be bad???

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Vermain posted:

RTwP is the big sticking point, since it's just not a very popular mode of gameplay, especially when all the games you've released after that have taken an increasingly strong action bent. they'd need to do some kind of FF7R system, but that'd require a lot more development time than i think they'd be willing to put into it

the show didn't come out until a few years after, but the first four GoT novels were making the rounds while DA:O was in development and made a huge splash in fantasy circles. the overall gritty atmosphere, focus on backstabbing politics, and the broader strokes of plot and setting (continent of bickering human kingdoms that were once united ages ago, an ancient evil force that corrupts people, a sworn and secretive order dedicated to fighting the evil force) were clearly drawing from it, although there's also a lot of inspiration coming from the earlier released witcher game (mages corralled into a single big institution that controls them, elven racism)

If you design RtwP in conjunction with a turn based mode you can bridge the gulf between the two crowds who otherwise like the same kinda content.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

codo27 posted:

What about instead of a giant loving city, the next GTA has a smaller map but all buildings can be entered

Monkey Fracas posted:

Next GTA is the dream of Shenmue fully realized; everyone has little schedules they follow in an impossibly complex web scaled to a small city

I would loving love for there to be a game that is basically a western version of the LAD/Yakuza games. A smaller scope map that the devs make use of every corner.

There is no western game with a location that could be considered equivalent of Kamurocho.

I was actually thinking about this a bit recently - why isn't there any game to do the Yakuza style "one neighborhood of a city" as the location. I feel like open world games like GTA, Watch Dogs, and the like always go for bigger maps and "condensed" versions of entire cities.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Mordiceius posted:

I would loving love for there to be a game that is basically a western version of the LAD/Yakuza games. A smaller scope map that the devs make use of every corner.

There is no western game with a location that could be considered equivalent of Kamurocho.

I was actually thinking about this a bit recently - why isn't there any game to do the Yakuza style "one neighborhood of a city" as the location. I feel like open world games like GTA, Watch Dogs, and the like always go for bigger maps and "condensed" versions of entire cities.

Bully

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Can you drive cars in Yakuza? That's a big part of all the open world city games and pretty much necessitates having several square miles available

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

do pocket racing cars count

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

You can drive little shopping carts around and steal cans from the homeless

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

haveblue posted:

Can you drive cars in Yakuza? That's a big part of all the open world city games and pretty much necessitates having several square miles available

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NlWw2ro1-I

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

haveblue posted:

Nah, there are racing mini-games but no driving around a large open space. Yakuza isnt really a open world game (not in the traditional sense anyways), all of the games take place in the same space even, so its a bit weird and unique as far as "open" world games go.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Mordiceius posted:

I was talking to someone about Dragon Age the other day and I am just baffled that we're still waiting on DA4, despite it being almost a decade since DAI. Is there anyone who actually still loving cares about Dragon Age in TYOODL 2023?

Also why the gently caress have we not seen a Dragon Age Origins remaster at this point? That seems like an easy way to fill a gap in Bioware's very very very empty release schedule.

But also, does anyone have any faith in Bioware to deliver a game that's actually good? I mean, they haven't released a game in years and they haven't released a good game in even longer. I mean, they've only had three game releases in the last decade and they were all bad!

Anthem - 2019
Mass Effect Andromeda - 2017
Dragon Age Inquisition - 2014

*ahem* actually.. mass effect andromeda is good

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

Have you played deus ex mankind divided?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Video GAMES.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Inquisition suffered from some of the most dogshit and repetitive side mission design. But hunting dragons and being the actual Inquisitor was cool.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I was so excited for DA2 and then it was the same 5 maps over and over but now you can go through that door and they did my boy Anders so dirty that it made me lose faith in bioware as a developer (it was 12 years ago, I was a dumb baby cut me some slack)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Dragon age is at its best when it's bad so I'm excited for DA4, which is sure to be awful, and thus great

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

codo27 posted:

What about instead of a giant loving city, the next GTA has a smaller map but all buildings can be entered

Play Shadows of Doubt!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It should be a series of Falling Down descents from polite member of society into murderous rampage and eventual violent death.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I was so excited for DA2 and then it was the same 5 maps over and over but now you can go through that door and they did my boy Anders so dirty that it made me lose faith in bioware as a developer (it was 12 years ago, I was a dumb baby cut me some slack)

Honestly 12 years passing has made Anders feel a lot more right.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Does anyone call him Durs?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Granted, it's been that long since I played DA2 but I remember thinking Anders was written drastically different than in DA: Awakening and I also thought the overall writing in DA2 was too weak to give much weight to his actions. Maybe I'd feel differently if I played DA2 today but no way do I have time for that.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

I said come in! posted:

I would love this, that is my dream. Actually its gigantic map and huge city, but every building can be entered and is fully populated and looks lived in. This is probably impossible to do, there's no way to do this in a video game.

Not a huge city, but every apartment is enterable in Shadows of Doubt. Different genre, though

edit: some actual content since everyone already mentioned SoD. Just finished Steamworld Build, which is a pretty lightweight citybuilder/wave defense game. Took about 8 hours to get through the campaign, and don't really feel like there's much left to do (there are some unlocks and different starting areas, but don't think they add much to the game)

It feels like there's less content than other Steamworld games, but on the other hand the short playing time keeps it from getting too boring and repetitive.

ymgve fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Dec 2, 2023

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
https://twitter.com/DavidBHayter/status/1730741921172091097?t=8Yd0kWItU2O2P1IsoJjBVQ&s=19
:)

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

codo27 posted:

The only glitch I encountered was literally every aspect of the game engine. I couldn't swim, if I panned the camera underwater the game would crash every time. Which was fine if I just went in on my own accord, if I plunged a car off a cliff, guaranteed CTD. I had to post my save to some other forum to get someone to complete the mission that requires swimming underwater.

If you get in the learjet and just start flying eventually after hitting the area where it's just ocean the game will start unlocking gang territories in San Fierro and Las Venturas. It inexplicable but very neat. You can also fly back to Liberty City

Shard
Jul 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I'm a gamer and here is my christmas tree. Enjoy

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Shard posted:

Where is your Gfuel tree topper?

Fake gamer.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Shard posted:

Gotta set mine up tonight
Looks beautiful!

Mr Hootington