Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which 2023 game do you think will win Something Awful’s Game of the Year award?
This poll is closed.
Dead Space 5 5.10%
Metroid Prime 15 15.31%
Resident Evil 4 17 17.35%
Super Mario RPG 37 37.76%
System Shock 24 24.49%
Total: 98 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Idk how Apple okayed it, but fyi ScummVM is available on iOS App Store (free) atm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

bone emulator posted:

The Saints Row reboot that killed Volition is free on Epic Games Store now, if you, like me, are curious as to how bad/mediocre it is.

It doesn't have a keybind for the map and there's no way to lock the minimap to north, so I find navigating a pain in the tits. No amount of tweaking settings makes the controls feel right. The side activities are of limited fun. I'd put it somewhere between SR1 and SR3.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

bone emulator posted:

The Saints Row reboot that killed Volition is free on Epic Games Store now, if you, like me, are curious as to how bad/mediocre it is.

Thanks, have added it to the pile of other free games I'll probably never play on Epic, like Borderlands 3!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Pokemon Concierge... was very good.

I should get a Psyduck plush

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://twitter.com/OoCPokemon/status/1741070313637708038

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Saints Row feels floaty and bad to control. The sound design is terrible.
There's something off about the scale of objects or something, it feels like an upresses old game in so many ways.

It was fun to play dress up with my character though and the cutscenes with my Zoomer gang were surprisingly decent. Idk. It's a shame it all went bad for Volition, the game seems very directionless.
Embracer really destroyed a lot of good studios...
I don't think we'll ever see the Saints again, but who knows

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The outcome to hope for I guess is Embracer doing a studio or franchise fire sale to stave off bankruptcy and someone picks it up for pennies and gives it another shot

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Man, Alan Wake 2 is one of the most interesting games I've played in a long while and I've loved almost all of it, but that end-game fight where your friends set up a music concert on the beach and you get swarmed from all sides by enemies is brutally kicking my arse and it's making me want to quit and watch the rest on youtube. The slow & steadily paced combat is great for the survival horror style of gameplay that the game has been about up to this point, but it absolutely wasn't designed for a horde-mode-like scenario.

It would have been such a great scene but instead it's just frustrating and not in the good souls-like way; I'm wrestling with the controls and the slow movement and animations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The worst part is it got Chip Cheezum laid off from the same company a second time

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Found a copy of Warhammer Chaosbane for cheap. Anybody here plaeyd Warhammer Chaosbane?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Cactus posted:

Man, Alan Wake 2 is one of the most interesting games I've played in a long while and I've loved almost all of it, but that end-game fight where your friends set up a music concert on the beach and you get swarmed from all sides by enemies is brutally kicking my arse and it's making me want to quit and watch the rest on youtube. The slow & steadily paced combat is great for the survival horror style of gameplay that the game has been about up to this point, but it absolutely wasn't designed for a horde-mode-like scenario.

It would have been such a great scene but instead it's just frustrating and not in the good souls-like way; I'm wrestling with the controls and the slow movement and animations.
I played a bunch of Remedy games for the first time before starting AW2 and got frustrated enough with their combat that I put AW2 on Story difficulty at the start. It did not make it enjoyable but it was at least not frustrating for the most part. You wind up with so many health items (that you're also incentivized to use up since the inventory system is also a bit questionable) that tanking hits is a non-issue.

Enjoyed the story for the most part, love the vibes and set pieces, but the combat and anything really gameplay-related was a pretty big miss for me.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Yeah I might actually bump it down to easy if I can, and if I can't... sheesh.

Edit: Control on the other hand has immaculate gameplay. Max payne on steroids, where you don't need bullet time because you're already really fast, can dash, fly, and rip out chunks of the floor and hurl them at the mooks. The state of some of the rooms after a fight is just wreckage. Loved that game and can't wait for the sequel, which has got to be their next one. Pleeease!

Cactus fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Dec 31, 2023

Depressing Box
Jun 27, 2010

Half-price sideshow.

Cactus posted:

As someone who liked AW2's combat more than some, that's entirely fair. Like, I loved Control, and some of its boss fights sucked real bad, and I definitely made targeted use of the accessibility settings (once they were added) to get back to the rest of the game I enjoyed.

Regarding the fight you're talking about, I managed to get through it on normal, but it took a bit. What helped (in order of usefulness):

1. You don't have to kill everyone, just survive until the song finishes. Focus on triaging dangerous enemies and run a lot.

2. FLARES. I didn't realize exactly how useful they were until here. You can hold one, walk into a group, and all enemies will stop attacking, back up, and take damage. Then, if you throw it near your feet, you can stand in the light and use your weapon of choice to pick off whoever's giving you the most trouble.

3. Shotguns (I liked the pump action) or the rifle (especially with the upgrade that shoots through shields) are great for picking off high threat targets quickly. One guy down is one less to chase you.

4. Run and dodge. Chuck flashbangs behind you to pick off wounded stragglers then keep running. Run out the clock.

5. Using flares and similar can also give you time to pick up all the free items they keep throwing to you. No need to be stingy about using the good stuff.

Depressing Box fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Dec 31, 2023

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The combat is the reason it didn't make my GOTY list. It's just too bad and gets in the way of all the more interesting parts. I was really excited to do the concert setpiece once it was clear what was going to happen, but by the fourth or fifth retry all the excitement had drained out and I just wanted to get it over with. Both musical parts really suffer when they get unexpectedly cut off and the performance restarts from the beginning, repeatedly

Putting it on story mode is absolutely the right call and I should have done that myself

Depressing Box
Jun 27, 2010

Half-price sideshow.
That was definitely my experience with the Ashtray Maze in Control. There at least they reroute hallways to get you back to the segment you died on, but I still heard the middle part of the song waaay too many times.

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

I also didn't like the combat. Control was incredible so I was hoping Remedy would improve on Alan's gameplay too, but it's basically just a remastered version of the original game's combat. I switched to story mode near the end. With how ridiculous the game gets sometimes, I saw no reason why they couldn't have added some actually fun weapons. The only one I liked was the bow but I got tired of having to wait 2 hours for Saga to reload it after every encounter especially since you cannot even move while doing so (maybe you can with an upgrade, I don't remember).

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Gripweed posted:

Found a copy of Warhammer Chaosbane for cheap. Anybody here plaeyd Warhammer Chaosbane?

It's pretty much Warhammer themed Diablo 3, that's it.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

drat I came here to post about picking up MH: World again with some friends, the gimmick of the run being we all use weapons we've never touched before. I went Switch Axe, the other two went Long Sword and Hammer respectively.

My two cents on AW2 combat: I'm the weirdo who likes the combat and finds it satisfying. You can get easily overwhelmed by multiple enemies which seems to be by design imo but you have many ways to mitigate that (flares being the big one). Any 1v1 is fairly easy and getting the dodge timing down wasn't too bad. The bosses were fun set pieces, and I certainly wiped on Saga's final fight a couple of times as I learned just how many enemies you'd have to deal with and dealing with scratch after huffing a bit too many healing items and big ammo in the fight beforehand. I think I played on Normal the first time? I might have set it to Hard.

That said I'm going through NG+ on Nightmare difficulty and... it almost feels easier? Like yeah I've got all the important upgrades like the Rifle pen on darkness shields etc, but man it's kinda interesting what a difference knowledge and practice has made.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Depressing Box posted:

As someone who liked AW2's combat more than some, that's entirely fair. Like, I loved Control, and some of its boss fights sucked real bad, and I definitely made targeted use of the accessibility settings (once they were added) to get back to the rest of the game I enjoyed.

Regarding the fight you're talking about, I managed to get through it on normal, but it took a bit. What helped (in order of usefulness):

1. You don't have to kill everyone, just survive until the song finishes. Focus on triaging dangerous enemies and run a lot.

2. FLARES. I didn't realize exactly how useful they were until here. You can hold one, walk into a group, and all enemies will stop attacking, back up, and take damage. Then, if you throw it near your feet, you can stand in the light and use your weapon of choice to pick off whoever's giving you the most trouble.

3. Shotguns (I liked the pump action) or the rifle (especially with the upgrade that shoots through shields) are great for picking off high threat targets quickly. One guy down is one less to chase you.

4. Run and dodge. Chuck flashbangs behind you to pick off wounded stragglers then keep running. Run out the clock.

5. Using flares and similar can also give you time to pick up all the free items they keep throwing to you. No need to be stingy about using the good stuff.

This is all good advice, thanks. It isn't even stuff I don't know but in the heat of it I tend to panic and die from an off-scteen attack. I've got shedloads of flares as well because all game I was emptying out my inventory every time I hit a safe room. The game thought I needed supplies because it seems to go off your inventory and not what's in storage, so every time I opened a container I got a trove of goodies.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

mystes
May 31, 2006

I'll have to remember in another 76 years

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Sakurazuka posted:

It's pretty much Warhammer themed Diablo 3, that's it.

That’s good, right?

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Celebrating New Year's Eve with my best pal Clive Rosfield. He's just off screen with my good buddy, Torgal.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Beat Lies of P just in time for the new year. Game was really good :shobon:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Gripweed posted:

That’s good, right?

I left it as a judgment call deliberately.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
What game

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

hosed up that the January chat thread isn't up now it's 2024 in the one true timezone.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

njsykora posted:

hosed up that the January chat thread isn't up now it's 2024 in the one true timezone.
Nah, still got about 5 hours left before that becomes the case.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Happy new year Games

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
Anybody playing games on nye? I’m playing hades on switch and my son is playing Roblox on the ps5

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
god drat, Jonny always releases some big name request from his polls as the finale release on new year's eve, and this time it's The Serpent That Devours The Horizon from Bravely Default. and man, he goes super hard on this, that's one of the things I like about him so much, that he's a one-man band and does it all so well

warning: flashing lights, lots of movement and abrupt scene transitions
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Gzh0p-t8_I&hd=1

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
also looks like he's hopping on the Pizza Tower train, which, frankly, I'm surprised he hadn't already, and has me excited

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

A Concrete Divider posted:

Anybody playing games on nye? I’m playing hades on switch and my son is playing Roblox on the ps5

I finished Remember Me on my PS3, that game's real good.

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

It's the only word they know, but it's such a big word for a tiny creature

Can anybody remember a cyberpunk style team based fps shooter, one team was the hackers the other was the corps, and you could shift into the hacking world and break ICE to capture points, but your physical body was vulnerable? From about 10 to 15 years ago? Sorry I couldn't see a "remember this game" thread

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Syndicate

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Played some Blasphemous 2 today and violently murdered some cursed abominations

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

Cactus posted:

Edit: Control on the other hand has immaculate gameplay. Max payne on steroids, where you don't need bullet time because you're already really fast, can dash, fly, and rip out chunks of the floor and hurl them at the mooks. The state of some of the rooms after a fight is just wreckage. Loved that game and can't wait for the sequel, which has got to be their next one. Pleeease!

I really disliked Alan Wake 1 and was surprised to find the combat in 2.......very much the same when I started it, especially since I'd heard nothing but good stuff about the entire game overall since launch. I died a bunch in the first area and on the first boss, then kicked it to easy and it's been more manageable since. I don't even know why this series has to have combat. And it is bizarre since Control has some of my favorite combat in gaming, and MP was always super tight. Weird.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Miles Kilo....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
Happy New Year ya'll.