Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which 2023 game do you think will win Something Awful’s Game of the Year award?
This poll is closed.
Dead Space 5 5.10%
Metroid Prime 15 15.31%
Resident Evil 4 17 17.35%
Super Mario RPG 37 37.76%
System Shock 24 24.49%
Total: 98 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

So this is the list of 2023 releases i still have to play this month for GOTY discussion

The Man Who Erased His Name
The Banished Vault
Backpack Hero
Chants of Sennaar
Final Fantasy Theatrhythm Final Bar Line
Octopath Traveler II
Super Mario Bros. Wonder
Super Mario RPG Remake
Resident Evil 4 Remake
Baldur's Gate 3?
Rogue Trader?
Stellaris Ghost Signal VR
Asgard's Wrath 2
Kirby's Dream Land 2
Spider-Man 2
Alan Wake 2
Dune: Spice Wars
Last Train Home

There are ~730 hours until the submission deadline, good luck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
*doomguy banging silverware on a table* go ty. go ty. go ty. go ty

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Can you drive cars in Yakuza? That's a big part of all the open world city games and pretty much necessitates having several square miles available

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The OP does not have the Meta Quest pack-in exclusive, Asgard's Wrath 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blwZizFeCAg

Why is it called Asgard’s Wrath when everything in there looks Egyptian

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
*incredibly buff peter griffin wanders into the virtual holocaust museum* holy crap lois

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Monkey Fracas posted:

Has Embracer slowed its devouring of everything it can clamp its jaw around yet

Yes, they failed to find a buyer for their huge pile of game studios and are now frantically burning them down to stave off bankruptcy

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
A noble sacrifice to secure the release of his uncle

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ErrEff posted:

Just lol at the budget this game must have at its disposal.

Rumored to be *pinkie to lip* one billion dollars

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

I, too, hate the Twitter login form

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Hwurmp posted:

minus one what

Godzila

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
just make a Blade game already

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I’m ready to game and game hard

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Does somebody have a quick summary of the GA announcements or can I just find it reading its thread?

You can probably find one on your favorite gaming blog/news site. Just off the top of my head, 2 FFXVI DLC packs (one out now), The Finals got released, Monster Hunter Wild in 2025, a new procedural exploration game from Hello Games, a Blade game from Arkane, a Jurassic Park game, a roguelike mode for God of War Ragnarok

Jay Rust posted:

Specifically, did any weird kid crash the stage?

Yes, he did the Game of the Year announcement

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The Game Awards is still mad that they let Christopher Judge talk for nearly 8 minutes last year

So they set the play-off timer to 30 seconds to troll him (admittedly this was pretty funny) but then forgot to raise it back to normal for everyone else

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If every eternally delayed project gets released, the universe will end

The Nine Billion Games of God

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
F2P games came about once hosting and distribution became free (or at least paid for by facebook/apple/sony/microsoft/valve rather than you) and the infrastructure appeared to support making very small digital payments so you could plan a business model around an infinite number of copies of your game in the field and very low ARPU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

DalaranJ posted:

I'm sorry, did this company make a game based off of the popularity of the tf2 hide and seek mod PropHunt? I mean, I think similar mods were released for fortnight, but still.

Prop hunt is way older than TF2, the first time I can recall seeing it is a Quake 3 mod

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

homeless snail posted:

link should be able to talk and say the gently caress word

That should be the only thing he says. Just change all the grunts and yells to gently caress

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Volte posted:

Were Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword even that good? I didn't play either of them, but I never hear them discussed with the reverence of Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, or Wind Waker. My impression was that they hit all the expected notes, added some new gimmicky Wii stuff to the gameplay, but were basically just more iterations on the same old formula going back to Link to the Past. I don't really blame them for wanting to move on honestly. If they keep iterating on Breath of the Wild without changing very much then it'll get stale quick, not unlike the old formula was starting to. I do want to see some classic dungeon design though. Elden Ring style "legacy dungeons" where you're unlocking progression items and finding keys within a self-contained dungeon would be a good addition to the open world.

Pretty much. Twilight Princess is the most straightforward Ocarina rip, it has all the expected things and a pretty generic fantasy art style. It also didn't have a ton of Wii gimmicks, because it had to support the GameCube controller too. There was nothing really wrong with it, but it wasn't as good as Ocarina itself and less imaginative than Wind Waker

Skyward Sword went hard on the Wii gimmicks, to the point that they actively held it back (even the second-generation Wii MotionPlus couldn't reliably read your sword-swinging intent unless you made a pretty unnatural gesture). It deviated further from the formula and had a more radical structure, where you revisited areas as they changed and evolved, and had a sort of primitive version of TOTK's sky world serving as the hub. It also made a bunch of dumb avoidable mistakes that had nothing to do with the formula or wii- a tedious companion, a boss fight you have to do 3 times with minor variations, that sort of thing

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Lisztless posted:

The tedious companion brings to mind one of my axes to grind with Zelda since at least Ocarina of Time, and it's only exponentially worse as time wears on: these characters (especially run of the mill townsfolk) really need to either get a LOT more personality in their monologues, or stop being so dang verbose

It wasn't just Fi, the entire game had too many words in too many popups

*catches a bug*

You caught a bug! [A]

You can sell it to a guy or use it to make potions! [A]

But your inventory is full, so let's put it back. [A]

And there was a (software) bug that made it forget you had already seen this sequence every time you relaunched the game

Feldegast42 posted:

(the time stones in the desert area were :krad:)

The bit where you put a time stone on a boat and it lets you sail across the desert because the time stone turns the desert into water for a 10-yard radius around you is one of my favorite parts of any Zelda. Not really worth the rest of the game, though

haveblue fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Dec 11, 2023

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Didn’t they just cancel a game they had planned to spend hundreds of millions on

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I liked RE4Make at the time but I seem to have no interest in replays, mercenaries, or separate ways

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The Schism is resolved. All hail Dorito Pope

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
They brought out the main character from Lies of P this year

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Upon this rock I shall build my deck

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You may play Jesus from the graveyard after 3 turns

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Wouldn't want to get sued for infringement by *checks notes* a legendary figure who may not have actually existed and if he did lived well over a millennia ago at least

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Gaius Marius posted:

My friend thinks Luis is better, but idk about that.

Original Luis is an outrageous cartoon accent, remake Luis sounds more like a real ESL speaker. Which one is more appropriate to the context is a different question

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The most grievous sin is changing the editing of That Dog's cutscene so Leon says the line after gameplay resumes rather than in a cool hero closeup

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Waffleman_ posted:

Link

He come to town

Come to save

The Princess Zelda

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
BOTW is one of the only games that has ever given me the feeling that I was exploring a truly untracked wilderness and finding ancient mysteries that no one had seen in hundreds or thousands of years if ever. It successfully suspended by disbelief and I forgot that all the things I was finding were hand-placed in a map editor by some anonymous guy at Nintendo

Ramie posted:

Outer Wilds is just as good as everyone said it is, I'm finding out.

I got spoiled on a couple big story things but that's affected my enjoyment of it precisely 0%, because all the poo poo I love most is stuff nobody ever thought to mention, like finding that my map doesn't work this loop because I accidentally bumped into the only communications satellite in the solar system and knocked it out of position.

Leaving my ship through the hatch to explore a ruined orbital structure is the coolest thing I have done in a game all year. More games should be about leaving a small thing to go into a big thing while being anxious about flying into space forever

oh and the title screen music makes me want to cry. what's up with that

I really want to say stuff but I won't and will just affirm that the ending of the game both explains and lives up to everything you are experiencing

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Volte posted:

even climbing fuckin towers to unlock pieces of the map, something that people will unthinkingly dunk on Ubisoft games for, even the ones that don't have that mechanic.

The difference is that when you climb a tower in an Ubisoft game, there is a brief cutscene and then a dozen icons spontaneously sprout on your map all by themselves. The icons are a passive reward for having completed the challenge, which was climbing the tower, and the map is effectively a non-diegetic to-do list that just updated itself. It's Ubisoft breaking into the game to give you instructions. Whereas in BOTW, when you climb the tower, all it hands to you is a new perspective*. It's on you to interactively make discoveries and add icons to the map, using your own curiosity and observation tools. It's a customized itinerary plan that you're more invested in because everything in it was your choice and your creation. The icons are an answer you have given to the question the game posed of, so you managed to get up there, now what are you going to do with it? Climbing the tower was not an end in and of itself. Some of the icons you placed might not even be anything interesting, just a weird looking hillock, but no one told you to go there other than setting the general bounds and rules of the world. To me this really was a much more engaging and fundamentally different process from most open-world tower climbs

*I think there was actually a button or something you pressed at the top of the tower to acknowledge that you had climbed it, I played it in the launch period so this was a while ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

welcome posted:

Link puts his Nintendo Switch in the tower's docking station and the nearby map reveals itself.

Yeah that makes sense. Although at the time it looked more like a Wii U gamepad