Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite MMA story of 2023?
This poll is closed.
The fall of Valentina Shevchenko 3 7.14%
Tom Aspinall's comeback 1 2.38%
Francis Ngannou floors Tyson Fury 34 80.95%
actually boy that one was really great 1 2.38%
honestly you should probably vote for that one 1 2.38%
why are you still reading this 2 4.76%
Total: 42 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
fights have been good and violent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Digital Jedi posted:

fights have been good and violent

Add to that great reffing, commentary, judging, flow, and excitement. So refreshing. Every week it's a treat.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
There is a card tonight as well one Prime.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Tonight's card is gonna be awesome. I am intrigued by heavyweight small gloves muay thai and a bunch of other great fights.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Watching Brave CF and just saw the Khamzat we have at home get dominated.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

coathat posted:

Watching Brave CF and just saw the Khamzat we have at home get dominated.

Turns out having a cleft palate is the true best base for MMA.

coathat
May 21, 2007

PFL is so stupid. Just saw a point get taken for elbows to the stomach.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
PFL doesn't allow elbows. Reason being with their season format elbows are more likely to cut someone and prevent them from taking the next fight

Now, the elbows to the body they guy landed should be legal.

coathat
May 21, 2007

This was a non tournament fight.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
The reason is the seasons as I said.

They don't want two different rulesets so it's just a blanket rule.

coathat
May 21, 2007

I know the rules it's just stupid

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Digital Jedi posted:

PFL doesn't allow elbows. Reason being with their season format elbows are more likely to cut someone and prevent them from taking the next fight

Now, the elbows to the body they guy landed should be legal.

pancrase rules but for elbows

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Pancrase was early power slap if you really think about it

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Coaching the Clueless - Jun Yong “The Iron Turtle” Park

What up? While I have been watching MMA for over 20 years (Christ), and there are some technical details I’ve slowly picked up on, there’s still a lot of stuff I see work, but don’t know why or how it works. So I’ve asked CommonShore to coach me through the more technical aspects of the things I like done by fighters I like. CommonShore, why don’t you introduce yourself, drop your bonafides.

CS Sez: Hi I’m a long-time MMA dork, having watched the majority of UFC events since Tim Sylvia was champ, and I’ve to my shame watched most of the events by Bellator and many other b-league promotions. I do a rankings article with our pal Carl. I’m also a second-degree black belt and certified coach in judo, a purple belt in bjj, I have done some training with an Olympic wrestling alternate, and I was at one time licensed as an amateur boxer: a very solid weekend warrior, if I say so myself.

First up, The Iron Turtle, Jun Yong Park and his three most recent wins, all by rear naked choke.

Vs Joseph Holmes

https://imgur.com/LxH3TDZ.mp4

Park works his jab, which is difficult at a reach disadvantage to Holmes. He catches a kick and gets a takedown. Holmes is back up, but Park takes his back and drags the fight down again. Park gets both hooks and starts seeking the RNC. Holmes defends it well and eventually peels Park off and takes Jun Yong’s back in the closing seconds of the round.

https://imgur.com/u56OM4h.mp4

https://imgur.com/ouTRR8r.mp4

https://imgur.com/UkUix7P.mp4

Park gets a clinch early and Holmes gives up his back standing. Park lands a slick takedown by kicking out both of Holmes’s legs. He gets his hooks in, but Holmes scrambles back, even getting all the way to half guard, but Park works back to back mount. Park lands more ground and pound until the RNC presents itself and he gets the submission win.

That takedown in the second round was cool as hell!

CS Sez: Yes, that takedown is definitely cool as hell. Judo doesn’t even have a name for that one, so far as I know. I’m going to call it a double crab hook takedown from back bodylock (to force a Judo name we’ll call it nidan kani gake, because everyone loves it when Judo people go well actually with terminology). Basically he gets Holmes’s weight shifting backward and gets his feet in the crab ride position - butterfly hooks in the knee ditches - just for a second, while the little jump adds a bit more weight to collapse Holmes into a back grounded position. Not that complicated, but definitely not common.

Vs Denis Tiuliulin

https://imgur.com/WKS3TyJ.mp4

https://imgur.com/gq8YcTq.mp4

Park comes out pumping the jab as usual. He ducks a punch from Tiuliulin and looks for a takedown. Park gets the fight to the mat and ends up in full mount. They’re in an awkward spot against the fence for a bit, but Park eventually repositions to give himself room to ground and pound. He lands some solid elbows that cut open Tiuliulin, then sinks the rear naked choke when Denis gives up his back.

What was available to Park when he had mount but Tiuliulin was against the fence?

CS Sez: The takedown is nice - over/under with hands connected behind his opponent’s back, and then the outside trip / kosoto to finish it. It’s hard to see but he may have thrown a quick little inside trip attempt in there too, just before pinching his opponent’s leg between his knee to drag him down. When Tiuliulin’s back is against the fence, Park is actually using that grip with his legs to help keep the position turning. The following mount position is a dealer’s choice spot, but I think that he made the right choice by securing his posture and then going to strikes while looking for the back. Tiuliulin probably also made the right choice from his options of getting elbowed in the face or tapping out to a rnc.

Vs Albert Duraev

https://imgur.com/iKWylD0.mp4

In the first round, Park threw a consistent, solid jab. He took some big punches from Duraev, but wore them well. Towards the end of the round, Park jumped a guillotine that he was unable to finish before the first five minutes expired.

What, if anything, should Park have done to finish the guillotine?

CS Sez: Well, I’m not sure that gilly was there. It was a well-timed attack but the arm-in variant is harder to finish and right away at the end of the clip we can see the back of Duraev’s head, which essentially means that he’s not going to get it. Park’s shoulder would need to get tighter in to cover that, probably while putting his left ear on Duraev’s back, and then he’d need to push his connected hands between Duraev’s left ear and left shoulder. The problem there is that gravity isn’t on his side - Park’s timing is good, but Duraev did the right thing by keeping upright and framing, at first at least. They go to the ground afterwards and Park is essentially trying to rip Duraev’s head off with a pulling action - Wanderlei does the exact same thing to Bisping in their fight, with the same result. Duraev’s chin is in, and he just decides to ride out the round.. The scramble leading into it off of the caught kick is my favourite part of that clip.

Early in round two, Park gets taken down, but works his way back up.

What were the key movements/techniques Park utilized to return to his feet?

CS Sez: Duraev wrapped the legs to prevent the wall walk, but Park keeps fighting the hands and stuffing the head, refusing to accept the position, as he works back and forth between trying to sit into the wall walk, or trying to post up on his hands. It was the alternating between the two that got him to his feet, but Duraev didn’t do a good job of reading Park’s escape attempts, and he lets Park get weight on his hands, which lets him clear his legs and then get his feet on the mat.

Back on the feet, Park continues pumping the jab, adding in a straight right hand behind it. As Duraev backs to the fence, Park starts in with combination punches, landing solid shots to the body. Park drops Duraev with a left hook, jumps on his back, and starts pounding and looking for the choke.

The first RNC attempt got defended. What should Park have done to secure the submission?

CS Sez: Duraev managed to twist out of it and fight the hands, turning his head out of it. Park would have needed to keep his torso fully between Duraev’s back and the mat to finish that. I actually look at this as a success on Park’s part, not a failure: he read accurately that he was losing the choke, and instead of going ham for it like me on an ill-advised wristlock and giving Duraev a chance to start bridging and escaping, he backs up goes on the hunt for a better opportunity.

https://imgur.com/Kbpf0SI.mp4

Park maintains pressure and goes for the choke a second time, getting it locked up with seconds left in the round.

Break down Park’s technique and also what Duraev failed to do on the second attempt.

CS Sez: The main thing that he did was bait Dom into saying that it was no good, which led to the instant tap. Really, he did a few things that made the difference. The first was the body work in the striking sequence that led up to the knockdown. The second was the pressure after the previous failed choke attempt. He just stayed on his man’s back and kept the grind and punches going so Duraev had no chance to breathe. This meant that Duraev was cooked when he tried to go face down to start building up his base from turtle (much as Park did in the previous round, as discussed above) but Park on the back had more gas and flattened Duraev out. This time there was nowhere to twist, and no space to hand fight. That’s about decisive as it gets.

As an aside “not under the chin” booth call on the rear naked choke is a pet peeve of mine. I’m not a pro athlete and if I get the position right and my preferred grip I can do nasty things to someone’s jaw and make them pass out squeezing on top of the chin. It’s not necessary to get under, though it makes things a bit easier, and plenty of BJJ instructionals demonstrate this. Someone as strong as Park seems to be absolutely does not need to get there.

Overall/Final Thoughts

https://imgur.com/i5scbvX.mp4

I like Park using a consistent jab. On the ground, he’s methodical. He doesn’t seem to have overwhelming strength or unmatched speed, he just maintains pressure the whole time. He doesn’t tend to get overzealous in hunting a submission. The Iron Turtle is content to take things slow and let the opponent’s mistakes open them up for defeat. Anything to add, friend CommonShore?

CS Sez: Pressure was the word I had in mind. Body work when standing, mixing strikes in with his grappling, and not selling out for the submission that isn’t there. All of these add up to a fighter who looks absolutely miserable to be underneath on the ground.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Really cool breakdown. That was great and very insightful!

Iron Turtle rules

Also, ONE Prime card is starting now

coathat
May 21, 2007

RIP to my boy Thongpoon

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Can't wait for the full gif of the Jojo fight

coathat
May 21, 2007

He is a very scary child

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
Lmao the clowning into instantly getting slept

coathat
May 21, 2007

5 finishes in a row this is an insane event.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
Yeah they are just going to ignore that super illegal knee at the end

coathat
May 21, 2007

Make that 6. Small gloves muay thai is the loving best

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Firebatgyro posted:

at first i thought it was accidental / incidental but on the replay nnnope lol

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Firebatgyro posted:

100%

Weird how it's not shown in the replay at all.
But you can hear teh crowd just boo

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

this was the best judging job in the world, until just now

spent the last three hours watching a master class in terminally executed violence and now you have to think and make choices :ohdear:

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

DoombatINC posted:

this was the best judging job in the world, until just now

spent the last three hours watching a master class in terminally executed violence and now you have to think and make choices :ohdear:

At least the got it right. loving banger of a fight

coathat
May 21, 2007

Smokin Jo baby!

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
No way a HW small gloves MT fight goes out of the first round

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Firebatgyro posted:

No way a HW small gloves MT fight goes out of the first round

it somehow did
But not much further

Just boom and dropped him with that left hook

coathat
May 21, 2007

Great card

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
where to watch "One" after the fact? Schedule's don't line up and I always miss the live card.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

where to watch "One" after the fact? Schedule's don't line up and I always miss the live card.

The morning muay thai cards? Youtube. Specifically look under their channel's Live tab:

https://www.youtube.com/@ONEChampionship/streams
here's the one from yesterday morning.

The evening mixed cards broadcast on Amazon Prime, I...think you can also just watch them after the fact there? I'm not totally sure but I don't know where else they would be.

Edit: Yeah they're there, here's the main ONE/Prime page, just scroll slightly past Live and upcoming to Replays and highlights, here's the one from last night.

Brut fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Dec 9, 2023

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

DoombatINC posted:

at first i thought it was accidental / incidental but on the replay nnnope lol

If it was a full Muay Thai rules match, there’s a lot more leeway in hitting someone even if they have a hand/knee on the ground as long as those followup strikes are a contiguous part of the knock down sequence.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

If it had been a hand or knee sure but this dude was sat all the way on his rear end before the knee came in. The ref was trying to get in for the ten count as it happened.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

TheKingslayer posted:

If it had been a hand or knee sure but this dude was sat all the way on his rear end before the knee came in. The ref was trying to get in for the ten count as it happened.

Yeah, the fight was basically over and at first I thought the knee was accidental from the momentum still being carried forward from a step

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
https://twitter.com/nosmokesport/status/1733578646365835377?t=K-aCu7y-UVfyypfxiRKRLQ

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

lol what

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

Conor McGregor returns to his roots of picking fights with people way smaller than he is.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Lucasar posted:

Conor McGregor returns to his roots of picking fights with people way smaller than he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Lucasar posted:

lol