Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite MMA story of 2023?
This poll is closed.
The fall of Valentina Shevchenko 3 7.14%
Tom Aspinall's comeback 1 2.38%
Francis Ngannou floors Tyson Fury 34 80.95%
actually boy that one was really great 1 2.38%
honestly you should probably vote for that one 1 2.38%
why are you still reading this 2 4.76%
Total: 42 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
I'm calling it now, only 1 of those 7 announced fights will actually happen.

e. lovely snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Kragger99 posted:

I'm calling it now, only 1 of those 7 announced fights will actually happen.

e. lovely snipe

which one?

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
I'm mostly being facetious, but the number of fights that fell through last year/this year seemed quite high. The number of NHL and NFL players that have already been hurt this season is staggering too. Almost feels like bodies just aren't lasting like they used to.

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

Two big fights for the SoCal card. They haven't moved many tickets, although that's only partially because 298 looked bad. Tickets are also LITERALLY 10X more expensive then they were when I went to all-time classic UFC 199. The cheap seats are $350. You can get three people into Disneyland for that kind of scratch

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
now that i know this guy exists i can just read this thread and watch this at the end of the year and it will have covered everything i care about regarding this sport. a straight right thrown at the body turning into a dick punch because the opponent simultaneously threw a flying knee is the hardest i''ve laughed in a long while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09Z4QRNCGZQ

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
Sterling at 145 means merab might finally be getting his shot after o’malley gets his vanity defense over chito

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Last Friday Morning Fights of the year!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3sty4qyv0c

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Foul Fowl posted:

Sterling at 145 means merab might finally be getting his shot after o’malley gets his vanity defense over chito

I'm convinced the UFC is going to make Merab go through Sandhagen first in the hopes he won't make it.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Merab and Cejudo are already booked for 298 in Feb

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Kragger99 posted:

I'm mostly being facetious, but the number of fights that fell through last year/this year seemed quite high. The number of NHL and NFL players that have already been hurt this season is staggering too. Almost feels like bodies just aren't lasting like they used to.

The first thing that popped out to me that is that Geoff Neal missed weight by like 4 lbs last fight so suddenly moving his next fight a month earlier might not end well

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Digital Jedi posted:

Merab and Cejudo are already booked for 298 in Feb

tremendous fight but why is merab fighting everyone before he becomes champ. my prediction is a repeat of the sterling/yan dynamic, ie that merab crushes the guy who sterling barely beat

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

oh yeah morning fights https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3sty4qyv0c

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Geoff Neal is one of my all time most disappointing fighters. He could be so good, but insists on headhunting the entire time every fight to the point where he's costing himself major matches. I knew he would lose to Magny despite being an overall better fighter at that point.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Man these fights have been great. And now it's time for Nabil Anane the 6'2" 135lber

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Foul Fowl posted:

tremendous fight but why is merab fighting everyone before he becomes champ. my prediction is a repeat of the sterling/yan dynamic, ie that merab crushes the guy who sterling barely beat

Dana is mad he and Sterling wouldn't fight. He also knows Merab would turn O'Malley into a fine paste in the cage so they're gonna stave that off as long as possible.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
yeah i agree though i don’t think dana has as much power as he seems to. he’s just there to take the the heat while endeavour grind the fighters to dust for pennies. i also think he’s there as a lightning rod when some kind of horrible scandal inevitably engulfs the ufc and they can say, look we fired this giant rear end hole. it’s all good.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

If slapping your wife multiple times on video won't do it I'm not sure what will then.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Nabil is unreal with his height

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

TheKingslayer posted:

If slapping your wife multiple times on video won't do it I'm not sure what will then.

Yeah, this. It's almost been a year now, and he's had no punishment other than maybe a slightly scathing TMZ story. As long as the UFC makes it's investors rich at the cost of fighters health, everything is fine from their perspective.

That last sentence applies to just about every "business" right now. As long as *insert org/company here* makes it's investors rich at the cost of *employees/workers* health, everything is fine from their perspective. It's probably always been this way, but for me covid ripped off the blindfold of how you don't matter unless you're making rich people richer.

Back to MMA, I was wondering why Lenne Hardt wasn't doing the fighter intros today - I guess she's getting a polyp on her vocal cords removed. Hopefully she can fully recover as she's a loving icon now.

https://twitter.com/lennehardt/status/1600808897542967296/photo/1

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Foul Fowl posted:

Simple reason, Dana doesn't like that he said he wouldn't fight his friend and teammate Aljo for the belt

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

Kragger99 posted:

Back to MMA, I was wondering why Lenne Hardt wasn't doing the fighter intros today - I guess she's getting a polyp on her vocal cords removed. Hopefully she can fully recover as she's a loving icon now.

https://twitter.com/lennehardt/status/1600808897542967296/photo/1

Bummer over the holidays. Lenne > Bruce, and I will not be taking questions.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

the actual youtube streams is just an ad for the ppv site right?

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
yea, the free show was just 6 fights. Now it's been on their PPV, unless you just happen to "live" in Thailand

coathat
May 21, 2007

loving great fights all around

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Yea that was another great card from ONE

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

TheKingslayer posted:

i mean some kind of major organisational scandal linked to deaths or drugs or something, idk. the slapping thing was obviously awful though in america people don’t seem to really care if you beat up women. most of the ufc fanbase definitely didn’t.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Merry Christmas to all and to all a big right.

individual865
Mar 26, 2007

Life on the outside ain't what it used to be.
Free A1 Combat stream starting now, semi-decent promotion that's usually on Fight Pass. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EBdJtyNLeQ

individual865 fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Dec 24, 2023

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

How are they booking Garry to fight 2 months after being hospitalised for pneumonia? I remember it taking my mom like 6 months to recover enough to go on a brisk walk never mind hand to hand combat.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
That’s wild. Which org did your mom fight in?

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

lol

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

kimbo305 posted:

Lmao

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
lol

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

homeboy you should start by learning to defend A Punch first

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

Bryce Mitchell and his fellow #ally s

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

his wife should have gotten him the Bosch GSB 18V-150 C Professional, which google tells me is the world's most powerful cordless drill

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

We made it through another year, and that means it's time for another year's community feedback and reflection thread. If you stuck with all of the writeups/monthlies/etc. this year you read 300,000+ words, and for that, a) thank you, and b) I am sorry I took away the time you could have spent reading an actual book.

LobsterMobster's writing an actual recap for 2023 and I don't wanna step on toes, but I did want to highlight that I believe we all just lived through what was, statistically, the wildest year in the history of UFC title belts. If you map out champions at the start of 2023 vs the end, it's kind of nuts:
  • Heavyweight: Francis Ngannou -> Vacant -> Jon Jones (Tom Aspinall)
  • Light Heavyweight: Vacant -> Jamahal Hill -> Vacant -> Alex Pereira
  • Middleweight: Alex Pereira -> Israel Adesanya -> Sean Strickland
  • Welterweight: Leon Edwards
  • Lightweight: Islam Makhachev
  • Featherweight: Alexander Volkanovski (Yair Rodriguez)
  • Bantamweight: Aljamain Sterling -> Sean O'Malley
  • Flyweight: Deiveson Figueiredo -> Brandon Moreno -> Alexandre Pantoja
  • Women's Featherweight: Amanda Nunes -> Vacant
  • Women's Bantamweight: Amanda Nunes -> Vacant
  • Women's Flyweight: Valentina Shevchenko -> Alexa Grasso
  • Women's Strawweight: Zhang Weili
That's a grand total of 13 positional championship changes in twelve months. 15, if you count interim titles. (16 if you count Yair losing the interim when Volk beat him, I guess?) Comparatively, there were only 10 title defenses in twelve months, and that's if you count the Alexa Grasso vs Valentina Shevchenko draw. 20% of the year's title defenses were just Islam Makhachev repeatedly beating Alexander Volkanovski.

Alexander Volkanovski was, in fact, your most active champion of the year, who thanks to his last-minute fill-in against Islam averaged a championship fight every 83.6 days which was, in retrospect, a pretty bad idea. Your most active champion of the year fighting in exclusively planned fights was Aljamain Sterling, who between his October fight against Henry Cejudo and his August loss to Sean O'Malley managed a title fight every 100.3 days, which, unfortunately, was also a pretty lousy idea.

You also lived through the life, death, and zombie-like rebirth of Power Slap, so congratulations on walking this sin-cursed Earth with us.

As for the forum itself, if there were a few favorite moments of mine we had this year, they were LobsterMobster's Eulogy for Bellator, which was the exact kind of reverent and irreverent Bellator as an organization deserved in a way I deeply appreciate, my silly Tank Abbott tournament, which I drastically underestimated the workload for but which was ultimately a lot of fun to do, and the moment we all found out Jase1 faked his death, which is still the funniest, dumbest thing that's happened here in awhile.

And, as with every year, I am mostly here for annual community feedback. It's no secret that we've got more folks than ever disenchanted with the current product, so I wanted to see if there was any interest in 2024 participation in any of these:
  • A return of the old thread where we RNG-assigned old events to participating posters for retro reviews
  • Ripping off those darned wrestling posters and having a communal old-event sync-watching thread
  • More posts/threads about weirdo-league MMA like Karate Combat, BKFC and other C-league promotions
And, y'know, as stated above in general:
  • Is there any poo poo I/we could be doing better?
Otherwise, thanks for another year of whistling through the graveyard of respectability, I appreciate you all, god bless Mark Hunt and literally no one else, and here's to a 2024 that I hope will be better while realistically strapping myself in for some real bullshit.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

^^^^^holy gently caress, good poo poo as always, Carl :tipshat:

Just cracked up because I first read one of the sentences as "patriots, fitin this tyranny. the system is rigged. im mentally and physically ill."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

Eat This Glob posted:

his wife should have gotten him the Bosch GSB 18V-150 C Professional, which google tells me is the world's most powerful cordless drill