Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite MMA story of 2023?
This poll is closed.
The fall of Valentina Shevchenko 3 7.14%
Tom Aspinall's comeback 1 2.38%
Francis Ngannou floors Tyson Fury 34 80.95%
actually boy that one was really great 1 2.38%
honestly you should probably vote for that one 1 2.38%
why are you still reading this 2 4.76%
Total: 42 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

BlindSite posted:

She's 40 and hes 26 and she literally wrote a book 10 years ago about snagging an athlete for a husband so you can be pampered. Strickland was calling him a cuck because Garry is paying her ex husband who either lives with or lived with the couple for a time as his nutritionist.

If you are "snagging" a mma fighter because you think they will be a highly paid athlete... I got some bad news for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Fozzy The Bear posted:

If you are "snagging" a mma fighter because you think they will be a highly paid athlete... I got some bad news for you.

I didn't say any of it was smart or accurate. It's mma our sport is never either.

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad
If I had any money I'd commission you to write a book - basically a collection of all of your posts with a short recap of how the event actually went after each one - with some extra pages for licensed photos of the actual event and the wild things that happened

kind of like an unofficial history of the ufc era from the start of your posts to today

I mean we could start a go fund me...

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Tangy Zizzle posted:

Kiss of death imo

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Tangy Zizzle posted:

If I had any money I'd commission you to write a book - basically a collection of all of your posts with a short recap of how the event actually went after each one - with some extra pages for licensed photos of the actual event and the wild things that happened

kind of like an unofficial history of the ufc era from the start of your posts to today

there have been nonzero leatherbound books made up out of posts on these very forums, so there's precedent

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
https://www.threads.net/@mmajunkie/post/C02yM4msKnM/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==
If that doesn’t embed, Colby talked about Leon’s dead father and earned a bottle to the head.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Pity it wasn't glass.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Colby can't even get off his pre-rehearsed trash talk without stuttering, this is embarassing

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Colby being picked to be a lamer Chael definitely marked the point where I started losing interest in UFC.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Colby is never, ever going to shake my first impression of him which was a guy who got decisively outboxed for 2 rounds by Demian Maia

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
I think back to the good times with Colby, like when he took a boomerang to the face

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

kimbo305 posted:

https://www.threads.net/@mmajunkie/post/C02yM4msKnM/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==
If that doesn’t embed, Colby talked about Leon’s dead father and earned a bottle to the head.

What a piece of poo poo

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

The kind of poo poo you have to stoop to when you can't beat good fighters.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Love how Colby is saying Leon's got no charisma, fully leaning on the crutch of being in fancy dress to even remotely notable and tripping over own his painfully scripted trash talking.

Colby is a draw because there's a definite part of most of us, whether we're willing to admit it or not, that wants to see him get kicked in the brain and lose all ability to speak for the rest of his mortal life because he's a huge piece of poo poo with no redeeming features, and people like that getting annihilated is an eternally attractive prospect.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

yeah but i want to see that happen without him getting paid a million dollars for it

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Fights!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j393Mc-oBaI

Also, their end of the year card is going to be a PPV which I'm just going to guess puts truth in the 'we have money' rumors being reported.
https://www.onefc.com/press-releases/one-championship-closes-out-2023-with-one-friday-fights-46-tawanchai-vs-superbon-pay-per-view-event/

Digital Jedi fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Dec 15, 2023

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
In Colby’s defense, he was so convincing in saying that Usman hadn’t knocked him out that I had to go back to confirm that Usman had, in fact, knocked him out.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

blue footed boobie posted:

In Colby’s defense, he was so convincing in saying that Usman hadn’t knocked him out that I had to go back to confirm that Usman had, in fact, knocked him out.

MMA call in shows had the most insane people calling after that for a week. One was some like, 19 year old kid I heard call three different places to shriek about the stoppage being early.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

TheKingslayer posted:

MMA call in shows had the most insane people calling after that for a week. One was some like, 19 year old kid I heard call three different places to shriek about the stoppage being early.

I had no idea mma call in shows even existed. They sound like the lowest form of media.

In going back I also completely forgot the crowd was chanting Colby’s name before he got tko’d 🤮

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
if the fight happened like three years ago i'd be worried for leon. he was a lot more tentative and colby still had his ugly but really effective pressuring style and the physicality and fearlessness to back it up.

but i think colby has gotten a lot worse, while leon looked incredible against usman. i think colby is gonna get hosed up really bad. i'm also praying for it.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Silapet and Charlie just put on a hell of a show

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Yes been a good beautiful violent morning

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Holy gently caress
Main event ruled

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Digital Jedi posted:

Holy gently caress
Main event ruled

totally - must watch.

coathat
May 21, 2007

A lot of excellent knockouts this morning

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/THR/status/1735012856737976384

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Uncut Gems caused my Garmin to fire a “relax reminder” in the opening ten minutes. That’s going to be harrowing haha

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

I want Mark Coleman to play himself

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Digital Jedi posted:

Holy gently caress
Main event ruled

https://x.com/pelunaton/status/1735695046983192945?s=20

Starting at the top of the hour
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYy_nI7-6Nc
edit: Guess not, 30 more minutes

VVV yes

Digital Jedi fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Dec 16, 2023

coathat
May 21, 2007

It started just now.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

$KARATE

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
this and the brave browser ad proving karate will forever be the nerdiest martial art

coathat
May 21, 2007

they really should have advertised that this was happening on a moon colony

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

this is the only legitimate use for crypto

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Alaois posted:

this is the only legitimate use for crypto
hoping the DeFi Kingdoms guys file for bankruptcy mid-event

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

chris leben referee sighting over at cage warriors

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

i would not have let that continue, old mate was wobbly as gently caress, but i guess i'm not a referee for a reason

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
my avatar strikes again

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I don't know if I'm a fan of how quickly Karate Combat stands fighters up from knockdowns with basically no mitigations.

e: drat THAT'S A DEATH THREAT YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST

e2: how is Robin Black still getting work

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Dec 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Karate Combat is this wild combination of one of the most high-rent MMA alternatives and somehow almost as seedy as BKFC.