Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite MMA story of 2023?
This poll is closed.
The fall of Valentina Shevchenko 3 7.14%
Tom Aspinall's comeback 1 2.38%
Francis Ngannou floors Tyson Fury 34 80.95%
actually boy that one was really great 1 2.38%
honestly you should probably vote for that one 1 2.38%
why are you still reading this 2 4.76%
Total: 42 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

Apparently some drunk guy running from security stumbled up to Sean Strickland's house, where he held him at gunpoint until the cops arrived.
Only other things I learned is he holds guns left handed and is willing to get closer to a target more you'd think someone who does MMA would realize is good for them.

Yeah - he apparently beat up a woman and ran off when security went to intervene/detain him. So I mean talk about out of the frying pan and into the fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

blue footed boobie posted:

I’m trying to catch up on what happened here it’s bizarre. It seems like Strickland called Garry’s attractive, successful wife a sexual predator because of a 14 year age gap and Garry responded by sending him a bunch of DMs threatening to sue Strickland, which Strickland predictably posted. I’m assuming that Garry was brutally dunked on by most of the internet as a result. And now Garry is saying that he is afraid to bring his family to America and has skipped media day. It really seems like an incredibly big L for Garry to give himself even if Strickland is an obnoxious rear end in a top hat.

She's 40 and hes 26 and she literally wrote a book 10 years ago about snagging an athlete for a husband so you can be pampered. Strickland was calling him a cuck because Garry is paying her ex husband who either lives with or lived with the couple for a time as his nutritionist.

I don't really give a gently caress about anything outside of the cage because why bother, but then Garry threatened to sue Strickland and made a video saying the only reason people are hating is because he's such a scary WW prospect from ireland. Which is just the dumbest tone deaf poo poo ever. He just needs to not engage, fight, win and then threaten to sntach the soul of anyone who is gobbing off but he got pneumonia apparently.

It sucks he has to deal with trolls, and sure Strickland is a dickhead but Garry really needed to get in there and get a good W. Because win lose or draw Colby is going to call him a cuck at the press conference and try to pick a fight with him and he's goin to have to face more of it until he gets some momentum going and fights again.

Either way this is a banger card and I cant wait for it. Its going to be hilarious if Colby wins though.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Fozzy The Bear posted:

If you are "snagging" a mma fighter because you think they will be a highly paid athlete... I got some bad news for you.

I didn't say any of it was smart or accurate. It's mma our sport is never either.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

CommonShore posted:

I'm fine with Page in the UFC, but I want him to fight guys on that Kevin Holland tier for a bit before he sniffs a proper contendership fight. Treat him as an entertaining gatekeeper.

Hes probably like 3 or 4 years late coming across to make a real run. He's almost 37 as it is.

Unless he tears through some guys like peirera does I doubt he'll do much.

Could be some fun match ups if they play it right though.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Shumagorath posted:

guessing that’s “f-ggot”

Yeah its this he used it like 5 times when referring to Dricus alone.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

yeah this one. just kinda strange to hear in a press conference. i mean of course just saying the word pales in comparison to any number of people and places the UFC is either tacitly or openly supporting. but. to repeat: it's just strange to hear at a press conference for a major sport

Fwiw the UFC does brief their fighters on stuff not to say and not to curse etc but Strickland is mad as a cut snake and he's going to do it anyway.

Dana undoubtedly doesn't care but he's motivated by money as much as anything so it would take the big wigs stepping in to stop it and realistically if they're making money the big wigs probably don't give a poo poo either.

Who knows maybe Strickland will have some kind of awakening or get his head punched in by Duplasse and he'll go away for a while.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Shumagorath posted:

Oh good we can trade our locally-grown organic bigot for one that’s factory-farmed

I know the 2 African fighters living in America and the third living in NZ who held or were holding belts got angry with him when he said he wanted to be the first "true" African champion but has he actually said or done anything I missed that puts him up there with Strickland?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Thugnasty put up a video thanking Josh Emmett for not following up and hitting him when he was KO'd.

That was a nice video to send.

Reminds me of BJ Penn lovingly embracing Matt hughes on a motorcycle. Who was in turn lovingly embraced by a train.

Post your favourite nice moments between fight mans.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Eat This Glob posted:

google isn't being helpful, but chris leben left a nice (but poorly written) note for mark muñoz alongside a chocolate bar and a crudely drawn penis at his hotel after their fight back in the day

I do remember that I wanna say it was a fruit and nut flavour which made me think. 'Gross'.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

LobsterMobster posted:

i call him Racis du Plessis

I hope he wins the belt cause Strickland is annoying and it would set up some fun fights at MW.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Gustafson and triangle man phil Davis becoming best bros after they fought was pretty cool too in hindsight.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

"George getting his poo poo pampered."

I remember that because at one point George realises Nick is actually just kinda dumb and came from a poo poo home and has no idea what he's doing outside of a ring.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I remember or maybe fever dreamed a clip of Nick diaz doing an interview or maybe a video in his car and yelling "gently caress your mother" at someone driving past

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Lucasar posted:

Enjoying that F1 is more conservative than NASCAR.

It costs like 100 aud for a hat from an f1 team and a day pass to the higher end suites are over 10k.

Thats old money sport right there

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Merry Christmas to all and to all a big right.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Wanting at least partly to over throw your govt is cool and good, buying 400 rounds of dirty thirty and posting about your wish to do so - less cool and good.

Also the jase1 not being dead thread was an incredible read.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I mean if it's Strickland's politics that give you pause makachev isn't a better choice.

That being said. He should be fighter of the year.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I loved that so much because on a stupid drunken whim I threw something like 20 bucks on him by knock out as they're doing the walk outs and welp.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Any cards on tomorrow? I don't do new years, so would be good to have something to watch in the afternoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Thanks guy, I might queue up a couple of old favourites or something instead. Bit of a shame. One of my favourite new years ever was drinking whiskey and sodas watching the card where Garbrandt destroyed Dominic. Tremendous.