Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
1. Grow my side business to $60k
2. Get drain tile and a sump pump installed at my house and put an end to drainage problems (gutters and grade were addressed already)
3. Max out 401k and Roth IRA, start a brokerage account
4. Grow emergency fund to $25k
4. Take a real vacation this year, not just sit at home singed by burnout

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Doing January update now while I have the time.

Personal/Finance
- Read two books a month to resolve primary backlog, 2/20. Slightly ahead of schedule, I've started into the next set.
- Get a will. No progress. Not high priority, thankfully.
- Move to larger place in lower CoL area. Likely waiting to do so until I finish some of the below cleanup.
- Bank account transfer. Bank identified - looking at Ally for their range of CDs (though I should probably ask around here). Need to complete below to facilitate changeover.
= Document all autopaid accounts to prep for transfer.
- Set up CD purchase. Will occur after bank account transfer.
- Lose 25 pounds, 5/25. Maybe part of my move decision should be focused on places with fewer restaurants...or quit interacting with DnD, which drives stress, which drives stress eating.

Organizational cleanup
- Complete indexing and stable permanent organization of:
= hardcopy file archive (three cabinets remaining, approx. 0/20 feet). Indexed about 150 research papers that a contact is going to try to get for me in digital form; this will clear up the space to continue work, but frozen for now. The rest should be relatively fast, I did all the difficult stuff already.
= Email archive process files from 10 years of archive, 2/10 and new presort rules needed. I was wrong and there's way more years of these to chew through than I thought- I need go go back to 2008- but so far I've cleared through 2016. This started at an unimaginable 48k emails and is now less than 10k and dropping.
= Electronic file archive (still need to create a manifest, these are all over the place). This is in tension with digitizing appropriate hardcopy files and cleaning emails above, as both "generate" new files to sort). No manifest, but I've got a partial structure and have sorted about 150 of these. Lots of duplication.

= Internet bookmark archive:
Primary set 100/200, Essentially done, anticipate reducing to operating minimum in Feb. For comparison when I started my cleanup about 2 years ago there were 9,000 of these.
Secondary 300/800, Adequate progress.
Tertiary ?/~2000 divided across 10 systems. I've started work on the largest/most time consuming set, which has about 500 left.
Quaternary/subset org and maintenance sets. Deferred until primary and secondary are done, basically a stretch goal and ongoing effort.
= after completing primary reading backlog, finish book index and evaluate collections for cutdown, 0/7. This will start to move late in the year, but I've done some dabbling around the edges. Ideally I can clear out about 1/7th of my holdings so I can have fewer bookcases.

Posting goals
- Complete Shockley project by assigned date March 1. All main posts complete, some supplemental material would also be good but isn't time sensitive.
- Review books for TBB 2/20. On track.
- Restart antivaxx bookshelf with Deer book summary. Part of next set of books, likely March.
- Continue antivaxx bookshelf with Kennedy book summary. Later in year depending on user interest.
- 2023 Kellies OP by January 15. Completely blown due to work crisis, way more nominees than usual and ongoing frustration with moderation in DnD. Now targeting March 1.

Gaming goals
- Hitman Freelancer prestiges 4/10. A videogame grind so onerous I'm listing completion in my annual goals; all four of those were from last year. Low priority.

February is going to be crowded by significant work obligations, so progress may be slowed.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Feb 23, 2024

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
You know, I should probably do the January round up a little earlier too, as I am feeling quite unmotivated at the moment. Might as well productively procrastinate! Also I'm on desktop atm which makes formatting updates so much easier.

Financial Goals
- Contribute Tax Return or 2k to IRA. Tax appointment isn't until late February so it will be a while for this one.

- Save money for house. -800, had to dip in to it for car repair as expected.

- Beg for raise in March. Randomly got one with my performance review this month during which I promised to take on a couple more responsibilities at work. I'm planning to do well at it and use that as leverage to ask for another raise closer to the end of the year.

- Solid Contingency Plan. I am currently considering Data Analysis as an option and just barely started going through an online tutorial for the basics of SQL to see if I like it.

Personal Goals
- Make a Cabinet of Curiosity/cull subpar artifacts. I got interested in my coin collection again, and I'm very slowly weeding out duplicates. there's some sentimentality caught up in it which makes it difficult for things I logically know I should get rid of. What also sucks is I don't have a good place to get rid of stuff to yet, coin shops seem to be thin on the ground here.

- Play and Beat all DS and 3DS games. Still stalled out in Pokemon Black.

- Watch all of my Urusei Yatsura blurays. Nothing yet.

- Play more board games/engage more with people. We had one game night, it was fun!

- Books read. 1/5

- Finish a sketchbook. Have scribbled a few ideas, not really made any good sketches that aren't haphazard scribbles.

- Get back into jewelry making. Nada.

-Travel goals; do a day trip. Not yet.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Discendo Vox posted:

- Bank account transfer. Bank identified - looking at Ally for their range of CDs (though I should probably ask around here). Need to complete below to facilitate changeover.

What are you reasons for a new account? I really like the Fidelity CMA i opened last year. Its mostly a regular brokerage account so you can hold things like money market funds, treasuries, or ETFs.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

drk posted:

What are you reasons for a new account? I really like the Fidelity CMA i opened last year. Its mostly a regular brokerage account so you can hold things like money market funds, treasuries, or ETFs.

Without getting into specifics, my employer's matched policy is insufficient and I've currently just got checking and debit with BofA (and have generally had poor experiences with them) plus a Capital One credit card flowing from my BofA checking. I'd like to effectively bolster my longer-term savings while taking a minimal involvement, low risk approach (I don't have the time or holdings to make being more active worthwhile), and Ally's no penalty CDs seemed appealing on that front with their current rates.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jan 29, 2024

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

January update.

2024 Financial Goals
  • Annual budget reassessment - Looking good.
  • Max backdoor Roth IRAs
  • Max HSA - On track
  • Max 401k - On track
  • 50/month into kids' 529s - On track
  • Donate at least $4000 to charity
  • Move from Mint to another tracking tool - I moved to Fidelity Full View since I already have some accounts there. It's meeting my needs so far.

2024 Personal Goals
  • Read 16 books (1 in Spanish) - 2 of 16 - I enjoyed Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell, though it was tedious at times.
  • Exercise 120 times - 8 of 120 - The flu came through the house and put me out a week. Already behind target.
  • Core exercises 3x a week - On track
  • Use all of my vacation (256 hours) - 12 of 256
  • Reduce unfinished game list by an amount that makes me feel happy - 4 games removed
  • Donate blood 4 times
  • Give the kids an experience every month - We went to the local zoo to see the Christmas lights before they were taken down. It was unseasonably warm, so we ended up getting to see more animals than expected as well.

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Feb 3, 2024

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
I feel like I got a freebie this month, with the market doing more work than me. And I'm currently in Thailand for work, receiving a per diem that's much more than I spend on daily stuff and food

2024 goals

Financial
- Get my combined house and emergency fund to €20k and keep it there
Currently €10k (emergency), €7000 (house savings, up from €5750) and €3000 (house checking)
- Make €1800 or more worth of extra mortgage payments
On schedule with €150 paid in January
- Contribute €200 per month to my tax advantaged retirement account
Still doing this automatically.
- Build up my non tax advantaged brokerage account to at least €58k
Currently at €44916, up from €43200, but that's all just market movement, I haven't made any contributions. I know I could lose it again just the same way, but still, feels like I'm ahead of schedule a bit

House
- Finish the last remaining work from last year's renovation
No progress
- Get a washer and dryer
No progress, and my dishwasher broke just before I left for Thailand, so I'm going to replace that first

Other
- Finish reading 20 books
I finished a mediocre book about coffee and am now reading The Fund about Ray Dalio and Bridgewater. Has some annoying copy editing mistakes, but I do recommend it to bfc goons
- Finish writing my small breakfast cookbook
Made some progress, but none since I went to Thailand
- Do some exercise every day
On track. Doing a lot of swimming in the hotel pool right now, which apparently my previous knee injury doesn't prevent anymore

EricBauman fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Feb 1, 2024

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

January Update. Went through a breakup and got really bummed out, which lead to some bad financial decisions (but honestly, not as bad as they could have been)...

Financial
  • Keep emergency fund at $1000 - Already hosed this up. I'm very bad at holding on to liquid cash. Fund currently at $105. Gotta rebuild. Not on pace.

• Get "eventual condo down payment" savings to at least $25k - Fund steady at $14,500, no change from beginning of year. Not on pace.

• Get vending machine returns over $600/month - This month's take is a touch over $400. No leads on any new locations yet, but if we can find one that performs as well as this one has then it'll probably be possible to reach the goal with only one other location. Gonna call this one on pace.

• Completely pay off consumer loan - Balance down to $14,300 (paid off $900 of the principal this month). Gotta maintain this current pace of payment and also do well with my future bonuses to hit this goal. I'll call this on pace, even if just barely.

• Max out my work's charity donation matching. - On auto.

Life
  • Get body fat percentage down below 22%, as measured by DXA scan. - Won't have my next DEXA scan until March, but right now the less-accurate measure I get from the BIA measure on my scale puts me around 27.7% body fat. Pretty much steady month-over-month, calling this on pace.

• Average at least 3 workouts a week at my gym. - Only did 7 workouts at the gym this month. Not on pace.

• Get the "1000 Move Goals" cheevo on my Apple Watch (keeping move calorie goal at 1360) - Only closed the move ring 6 times this month, putting me at 913/1000. Gotta close it 8 times a month each remaining month this year to hit the goal. Not on pace.

• Complete 2 Sections in Duolingo's Spanish course - Finished 1 unit of a 16-unit section. Need to finish 2.7 units per month to hit this goal. Not on pace.

• Read >12 books - 0 books read this month. (Just started Richard Ayoade's The Grip of Film) Not on pace.

EDIT: Realized this would be a lot more readable with the goals in bold rather than the comments.

LanceHunter fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Feb 1, 2024

Pipistrelle
Jun 18, 2011

Seems the high horse is taking them all home

End of January Update

2024 Financial Goals
1. Contribute full amount to 401(k) - Set to auto contribute
2. Set aside max amount for 2025 IRA - $584 of $7000
3. Set aside $1,200 for vacations- $100 of $1,200
4. Figure out what to do with extra money - Currently evaluating what this actually looks like/how much/etc.
5. Help Mr. Pipistrelle set up an IRA
6. Re-evaluate goals in July

2024 Personal Goals
1. Read 20 books - 3 of 20
2. Read 2 career related books - 0 of 2 - almost done with 1, so I’ll say I’m on track for this one
3. Finish 2 crafting projects - 1 of 2
4. Work out 15 times a month - 13 of 15 - had a bad week which set me back. Hoping to hit this next month.
5. Use standing desk every working day - Meh on this. I started out strong but I think I’m doing something wrong ergonomically cause I ended up with awful headaches the days I did it. So that was fun, I need to figure out what it is I’m doing wrong.
6. Close unused accounts - 2 of 4
7. Get a will

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Pipistrelle posted:

5. Use standing desk every working day - Meh on this. I started out strong but I think I’m doing something wrong ergonomically cause I ended up with awful headaches the days I did it. So that was fun, I need to figure out what it is I’m doing wrong.

There are a million blog posts out there on how to properly use a standing desk (example). Personally, I've found that I need a supportive mat to stand on, otherwise it fucks up my whole back, which can lead to headaches for me. Also for proper ergonomics, a standing desk and your monitor are supposed to be higher than you might think.

YMMV, but good luck figuring it out! I love my standing desk, and it's definitely helped me feel better long-term.

Pipistrelle
Jun 18, 2011

Good-Natured Filth posted:

There are a million blog posts out there on how to properly use a standing desk (example). Personally, I've found that I need a supportive mat to stand on, otherwise it fucks up my whole back, which can lead to headaches for me. Also for proper ergonomics, a standing desk and your monitor are supposed to be higher than you might think.

YMMV, but good luck figuring it out! I love my standing desk, and it's definitely helped me feel better long-term.

Yeah my first guess is that my monitors are the wrong height. Thank you for the blog link, I’ll go through it and make adjustments. I can always count on goons to point me in the right direction!

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

2024 Goals

1.) Pay off at least $29,500 of debt
2.) Reduce my average interest rate below 14.24%
3.) Set up retirement account for spouse

Last year didn't go to plan - the home renovation blew past the budget, my spouse was let go from her job, and the insurance companies have been sandbagging payments to her private practice. Despite that we managed to end the year stable and comfortable, but I've managed to accrue more debt than I'm happy with, and a significant chunk of that is credit card debt. This year I'm setting much more humble goals of keeping things moving in the right direction - reducing the amount of debt owed, and reducing the amount of high-interest debt I have. My goals are based on where I'll be in January 2025 if I make all my payments throughout the year, so that it'll act as a benchmark for at least moving in the right direction. I've also been able to max out my 401K contribution in 2023, so I'd like help my spouse set up and contribute to her own retirement account. Considering some of the big life changes we're thinking about in the year ahead (kids, job changes, and moving), staying on track feels like a great goal to have.

Hannot
Nov 29, 2007
Grimey Drawer
January

OK month. Overspent in a couple areas, and it was a huge, huge help to have several hundred from getting a refund on payments. Lost another bid on a house today -- I'm not heartbroken because I didn't love it but it was a really good one and me and others lost out to an all-cash buyer who I strongly suspect is going to rent it out. I would like to think it went directly to a family/individual but I doubt it. Onwards!

Not a goal, but I put in to increase my 401K contributions by 1%. :toot:

1. Increase emergency fund to $10,000. $8,321 (+$363)
2. Reduce private student loan to less than $10,000. $16,999 (-$781)
3. Contribute average of $150/month to Roth IRA. $250
4. Rollover 401K balance from previous employer. No action. Waiting til I purchase house because I'm afraid of messing something up during the process.
5. Invest at least $1,000 in S&P 500. Set $100 aside, nothing invested.
6. Increase net worth by 50%, excluding mortgage/home value if applicable. +5.9%
7. Keep grocery/toiletries/beauty spending to an average of $350 or less per month. $440. Oof! I did stock up on stuff I had coupons for (not subtracted here), but I'm not confident I'll do better this month.
8. Save $3,200 for trip by June 15th. $2,800 (+$400)
9. Save average of $350 per month in house fund. $550

10. Read 40 books. None. Two in progress. Bad.
11. Work out 15 times per month. 10/15
12. Practice piano 1.5 hours a week.lol

Hannot fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Feb 2, 2024

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
January

Current State
- Mortgage on 30 year fixed at 2.875%

Financial Goals for 2024
- Max out Backdoor Roth IRAs for me/wife Done
- Max both of our 401ks/Mega Backdoor Roths On track
- Put 15k/month in to brokerage account On track
- Put 3k/month in to savings On track
- Fund Baby Evil's 529 with an extra 20k
- Increase net worth to the next million

Non-Financial Goals:
- Read 1 book/month halfway through one
- Increase FTP to 4.1 w/kg

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

January Update!

1. Raise net worth by $361k to $405k. $368k.

2. Increase emergency fund from $20k to $22k. $20.4k.

3. Open a 18 month CD in Feb. 2024, fund with a minimum of $5k. Not yet! I should take care of this sometime this weekend.

3. Open a 18 month CD in Aug. 2024, fund with a minimum of $5k. Not yet!

4. Make one extra mortgage payment. .09 extra payment made

5. Contribute a minimum of $5.8k to Roth IRA. $470. Increasing to $500/mo autodraft starting in Feb.

6. Stay at or under my Eating Out budget for 9 out of 12 months. 1/12

7. Lose 15 pounds. 2.2/15. The weight loss has been slow, but relatively consistent, so this tracks.

8. Read 12 books. 1/12. Read a really bad true crime book.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
After my separation, I'm back in my parents house again (yay, third time), and rent here is so exorbitantly expensive that I don't expect to afford anything for a while on top of a kid. So my 3-5 year plan is to save loving everything possible and obtain the biggest condo down payment I possibly can, which would result in a mortgage lower than rent (yes, including condo fees).

1. Save $20k

Unless the housing market / vacancies change by then (lol)

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

February Update

1.) Pay off at least $29,500 of debt - Off Track, currently only going to pay off $21,835 EOY
2.) Reduce my average interest rate below 14.24% - On Track, currently going to have a 11.91% rate EOY
3.) Set up retirement account for spouse - TBD

Figured I'd update early since nothing is going to change between today and March 1st. I consolidated my credit card debt and a big chunk of the home renovation debt into a new lower rate loan, so we're pretty much set on the reduced interest rate goal. We had a large home expense come in ($5,000 to repair a leaking chimney and flashing) and I wanted to to replenish our emergency cash fund, so our debt increased this month in a way that more than offsets the reduced rate. Fortunately this should be a short term setback, and I think we'll start getting some momentum on paying off debt over the next month or two. Combine that with the health insurance companies starting to (finally!) pay my spouse with some regularity, and I think we're going into the rest of the year with a good start. My personal life has been a struggle due to a depressive episode this last month, so it's nice to focus on the fact that things are in fact going well and I'm achieving my goals.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
The market did a lot of my work for me again this month, and that's a good thing since I had to buy a new dishwasher and pay for some travel I'm doing in May.

2024 goals

Financial
- Get my combined house and emergency fund to €20k and keep it there
Currently €10k (emergency), €7000 (house savings) and €3000 (house checking)
- Make €1800 or more worth of extra mortgage payments
On schedule with €150 paid in February, €300 total.
- Contribute €200 per month to my tax advantaged retirement account
Still doing this automatically.
- Build up my non tax advantaged brokerage account to at least €58k
Currently at €46610 (the day's not ever yet, so it can still move a bit), up from €43200 at the start of the year, €44916 at the end of January. I did put in €250, the rest is all market movement. At one point I was up even more, but the market has been cooling off a bit in the past few days.

House
No progress
- Get a washer and dryer
No progress, but I did replace my dishwasher and I fixed a problem with my kitchen drain that I thought was unfixable until I replaced the dishwasher hose.

Other
I finished The Fund about Ray Dalio and Bridgewater, and then a Dutch translation of Marco Polo's Il Milione.
The Fund was good but should have had a few weeks more of editing. At one point Copeland even writes Brightwater instead of Bridgewater and it's absolutely shameful that no one caught that error. Il Milione isn't a great book, and I don't know why people think it is. It's basically a listicle of cities in Asia and not quite the adventure story that people think of when they talk about Marco Polo. "The next city is X, their religion is Y and their industry is Z" ad nauseam. Like computer-generated lore articles for an MMORPG.
So that's 3 books finished in the first 2 months of the year, putting me on track.
I'm currently reading Love, Death and Money in the Pays D'Oc by Emmanuel Le Roy Ladurie, but not making great progress. I always read a lot when I'm travelling, so this might improve during my two trips in March.
The dishwasher being broken really messed with my plans. Once it was fixed I did make a cinnamon rolls but with dulce de leche instead of cinnamon sugar recipe.
On track. I didn't do any actual exercise when I took a four day trip to Italy, but I did walk 20km every day while I was there, so I'll accept that as exercise.

Now that I'm spending less money on my house and travelling more for work, I'm thinking of setting myself some travel goals as well (or a goal of setting some money aside for personal travel). I could set myself a goal to attain silver status with KLM, but that's going to happen anyway with the trips I've already got planned. I'd like to visit a country I've never been to before. Perhaps I'll go see Latvia over Easter during my work trip to Lithuania next month. Also going to Scotland in May, and I've never been to that part of the UK, so that counts as a unique country as well, I think

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
February update I guess.

Financial Goals
- Contribute Tax Return or 2k to IRA. my taxes are done and refund didn't change much so I'm just waiting for my 1k ish to show up in my bank account so I can do this.

- Save money for house. -800, don't know if I'll have to dip into it again for a further 200 of car repair and I haven't made up the deficit yet.

- Beg for raise in March. Randomly got one in January.

- Solid Contingency Plan. Haven't made any progress on the SQL tutorial or much of anything here.

Personal Goals
- Make a Cabinet of Curiosity/cull subpar artifacts. I've been picking out things here and there from random collections, but haven't had time to sell or donate anything.

- Play and Beat all DS and 3DS games. Still stalled out in Pokemon Black, haven't touched any video games at all really.

- Watch all of my Urusei Yatsura blurays. made it to disc 4 in box set 1. Will I make it by the end of the year? Who knows!

- Play more board games/engage more with people. Played a board game with my parents. Their generation doesn't really seem to like modern board game design all that well, or maybe it's just my parents.

- Books read. 2/5

- Finish a sketchbook. I sat and did a couple, that's about it.

- Get back into jewelry making. Still no, though I finished painting some pins this category is meant for making my own poo poo from scratch. I have finished or nearly finished 10 or so mini painting projects which is good?

-Travel goals; do a day trip. Not a day trip but I did put metal detecting on a local beach in this category and did it on a freakishly warm day. It was an okay experience. The most notable thing I found was an Amazon employee pin just sitting on the surface.

This month was a month of distractions and my health being a bit bleah did not help matters. At least I got some non jewelry craft projects done. Hoping to get some of the cleaned out items actually gone and out of the house in March.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

February update.

2024 Financial Goals
  • Annual budget reassessment
  • Max backdoor Roth IRAs - Done
  • Max HSA - On track
  • Max 401k - On track
  • Donate at least $4000 to charity - $0 of $4000
  • Move from Mint to another tracking tool

2024 Personal Goals
  • Read 16 books (1 in Spanish) - 4 of 16 - I liked Fantasticland.
  • Cardio exercise 120 times - 20 of 120
  • Exercise my core 3x a week - On track
  • Use all of my vacation (256 hours) - 12 of 256
  • Reduce unfinished game list by an amount that makes me feel happy - 5 games removed this month. 9 total this year.
  • Donate blood 4 times
  • Give the kids an experience every month - We took them to a "family swim" event at the place they have swim lessons. It was a big pool party, basically, and it was a blast.

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Feb 29, 2024

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

ultrafilter posted:

Buy a house.

I've secured pre-qualification letters and the pre-approval process is underway. I have a couple candidate realtors and I've narrowed down my options to an area I like.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

ultrafilter posted:

I've secured pre-qualification letters and the pre-approval process is underway. I have a couple candidate realtors and I've narrowed down my options to an area I like.

:nice:

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

February Update. Not doing great...

Financial
  • Keep emergency fund at $1000 - Fund still very low at $110. (+$5 change month-over-month.) Not on pace.

• Get "eventual condo down payment" savings to at least $25k - Fund at $14,900. (+$400 month-over-month) Not on pace.

• Get vending machine returns over $600/month - $350 total take this month. Short month + a lot of rain for a couple of weeks caused small downturn, and then the CC reader was offline these last two days just to twist the knife a little. Still, despite all that the take is over half of this goal, so I can probably adjust expectations to just add one location instead of two to hit it. That said, there are still no leads on a second location. Gonna call this one on pace.

• Completely pay off consumer loan - Balance down to $13,400 (down $900 month-over-month). Still just ever-so-barely on pace.

Life
  • Get body fat percentage down below 22%, as measured by DXA scan. - No DXA scans yet, but BIA is saying my average body fat level this month was 28.6%. Went in the wrong direction this month with a lot of bad eating. Falling off pace.

• Average at least 3 workouts a week at my gym. - Did 9 workouts at the gym this month. Not on pace, but getting closer.

• Get the "1000 Move Goals" cheevo on my Apple Watch (keeping move calorie goal at 1360) - Closed the move ring 5 times this month, putting me at 916/1000 (I think I over-counted last month and only had 911/1000 because I just triple-checked and the total times closed this month and total times closed overall I just wrote down are both right). This goal is a huge pain because I've reached >1300 calories but fell short of 1360 on two days. I need to close the move ring 8-9 times a month now to his this goal. Not on pace.

• Complete 2 Sections in Duolingo's Spanish course - Finished 0 units of a 16-unit section. Need to finish 3 units per month to hit this goal. Not on pace.

• Read >12 books - 0 books read this month, About 1/3rd of the way through Richard Ayoade's The Grip of Film, which is very fun. I'm just not setting aside enough time for this. Not on pace.

LanceHunter fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Mar 1, 2024

Hannot
Nov 29, 2007
Grimey Drawer

LanceHunter posted:

February Update. Not doing great...

Financial

• Completely pay off consumer loan - Balance down to $13,400 (down $900 month-over-month). Still just ever-so-barely on pace.

I don't think you should downplay this one, though. That's a big chunk.

February

Anxiously awaiting March, which is a three-paycheck month for my tracking. I spent way too much on eating out which I rarely rarely do. There was one social occasion and another case of treating a friend, otherwise it was almost entirely due to not packing my lunch. LIKE A LAZY CHILD. Creating a special March goal to deal with this. Have some scheduled increased expenses, so I need to be careful.

1. Increase emergency fund to $10,000. $9,637.14 (+$1,316) Decided I should stop being a piecemeal a little here, a little there person, at least for some things. I took almost all my general savings and put it in the emergency fund so I can achieve this goal in March and be mostly done with it.
2. Reduce private student loan to less than $10,000. $16,530.22 (-$468.78) Still hate this thing even as I try to tell myself it is dumb to pay it off early.
3. Contribute average of $150/month to Roth IRA. +$350, average: $300/mo.
4. Rollover 401K balance from previous employer. No action.
5. Invest at least $1,000 in S&P 500. No progress. Set $100 aside, nothing invested.
6. Increase net worth by 50%, excluding mortgage/home value if applicable. Skipping because the "three paychecks in February and I'm pretending it's for March" and "people reimbursing me for big expenses this week" factors are gonna make it look too high and I'm too tired to go figure out what to subtract. I will do yearly increase next month. It went up, anyway. Yay.
7. Keep grocery/toiletries/beauty spending to an average of $350 or less per month. $475. Could have cut like $50 of this as unnecessary and $20 is still sitting in my freezer. Not looking good. Maybe I was too ambitious. We'll see....again.
8. Save $3,200 for trip by June 15th. Completed! (started at $2,400)
9. Save average of $350 per month in house fund. +$700, $625/mo. average

10. Read 40 books. 2/40
11. Work out 15 times per month. 7/15, down 3x from last month.
12. Practice piano 1.5 hours a week.Terrible.

Special March Goals!!

13. Work out SEVENTEEN times.
14. Spend less than $100 eating out/on drinks etc.

Hannot fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Mar 1, 2024

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

February update. As anticipated I lost a lot of time to work obligations.

Personal/Finance
- Read two books a month to resolve primary backlog, 5/20. Actually way ahead of schedule- I used a layover to push through an extra book. This months' were some of the hardest reads in my stack, too.
- Get a will. No progress. Still low priority.
- Move to larger place in lower CoL area. Still occurring after subsequent cleanup.
- Bank account transfer. Likely going to Ally. Still need to complete below to facilitate changeover.
- Set up IRA. Changing priority after consulting the planning thread and wading through the people who refused to communicate to the users who actually read what I said and identified my error.
- Lose 30 pounds, 5/30. About unchanged, but I'm going to target another 5 pounds loss.

Organizational cleanup
- Complete indexing and stable permanent organization of:
= Hardcopy file archive (three cabinets remaining, approx. 0/20 feet). Still frozen as I wait for my source to track down digital copies of these articles. This is an annoying bottleneck.
= Email archive process files from 10 years of archive, 3/10 and new presort rules needed. Cleared through 2015, 2014-2010 will take significant work but this is getting done.
= Electronic file archive (still need to create a manifest, these are all over the place). Some progress but largely delayed behind the above hardcopy archival task.
= Internet bookmark archive:
Primary set Done, reduced to ongoing operating minimum. Again, this started 5x larger than any other set and is a great accomplishment unto itself.
Secondary 400/800, Slower progress than desired but I can finish the rest of this off pretty easily.
Tertiary ?/~2000 divided across 10 systems. Still some work to do here. One of these sets is very time consuming, but the others will all be very fast.
Quaternary/subset org and maintenance sets. Deferred until primary and secondary are done, basically a stretch goal and ongoing effort.
= after completing primary reading backlog, finish book index and evaluate collections for cutdown, 0/7. This will start to move late in the year, but I've done some dabbling around the edges. Ideally I can clear out about 1/7th of my holdings so I can have fewer bookcases.

Posting goals
- Complete Shockley project by assigned date March 1. Done. All main posts complete, need a final conclusions and policy analysis post, likely early March.
- Review books for TBB 5/20. On track.
- Restart antivaxx bookshelf with Deer book summary. Pushing back to April set, when I'll have another convenient layover.
- Continue antivaxx bookshelf with Kennedy book summary. Later in year depending on user interest.
- 2023 Kellies OP by January 15. Still completely blown, now even worse because the laptop I was using was stolen, setting me back heavily. I intend to do this by end of March.

Gaming goals
- Hitman Freelancer prestiges 5/10. Low priority.

March is going to be painful: while I don't have any assigned travel, work obligations are severe and a management crisis has occurred, greatly increasing my responsibilities. I'm going to mostly concentrate on clearing out the email and bookmark sets, and trying to keep the stress from causing me to overeat.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Mar 1, 2024

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
2024 Financial Goals
  • Max retirement accounts - 401(k), IRAs, HSA, wife pension, wife 458 - on track
  • Contribute $1K/mo plus $5K from bonus in to KG3 529 - on track, did $10k instead for KG3 since I got a bigger than anticipated bonus
  • Find an accountant - not yet
  • Save at least $60K towards house down payment on pace, $35,000 YTD
  • Complete DCA enrollment and max contributions done

2024 Personal Goals
  • Have baby and keep baby alive for all of 2024 - the baby is still alive! hurrah
  • Use all my PTO - 0/28 days 1/28 used
  • [Read 6 books about how the baby works 2/6 read Cribsheets and Happiest Baby
  • Read 6 books for adults that have nothing to do with how babies work 1/6, I read the baby Beowulf
  • Exercise 100+ days lol, lmao
  • Use all parental leave - 0/10 weeks - 4.5/10
  • Go outside every day of parental leave - going to keep track of days I DON'T go outside, 2 so far

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I read the baby Beowulf

I'm sure this means you had read Beowulf out loud to your baby, but I'm imagining a rewrite of the story with Beowulf as a baby the whole time. (Which is kinda the premise of Bea Wolf - an awesome graphic novel retelling of Beowulf from a kids' imagination.)

Pipistrelle
Jun 18, 2011

End of February Update

2024 Financial Goals
1. Contribute full amount to 401(k) - Set to auto contribute
2. Set aside max amount for 2025 IRA - $1168 of $7000
3. Set aside $1,200 for vacations- $200 of $1,200
4. Figure out what to do with extra money - Currently evaluating what this actually looks like/how much/etc.

2024 Personal Goals
1. Read 20 books - 6 of 20
2. Read 2 career related books - 0 of 2 - almost done with 1
4. Work out 15 times a month - 7 of 15 - got super stressed at work, and it turns out I stop caring about a lot of stuff when I’m stressed. Maybe in March…
5. Use standing desk every working day - lol
6. Close unused accounts - 3 of 4
7. Get a will

Mr. Qfwfg
Feb 24, 2024
è quello che è già qui
Status as of December 31, 2023
1. Net worth 1.15mn (~300k in brokerage at Vanguard, ~400k home equity, ~400k retirement, 50k in HY savings)

2024 Financial Goals
1. Increase net worth by 200k, including
2. Saving 100k in HY savings (with a stretch goal of 150k), because
3. At some point in the next 5 years, we want to move to a bigger place in the suburbs

2024 Progress
+100k Net worth in just the first two months, with 35k of that saved in HY savings, thanks Nvidia lol

Leaving a ~3% mortgage for something in the 6-7% range is going to be painful enough already, but made worse by the fact that, based on what I've heard, sellers typically don't accept home sale contingencies in this area, meaning that we'll either have to sell our house first and live in a short term rental for 3-6 months, pay through the nose in fees with loans based on home equity or securities, or just save huge amounts of liquid cash for years. Would be curious if anyone who's been through a similar process has any thoughts/suggestions.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
March update:

Goals for 2024:
All year:
- Read 120 books - at #22, on track. Best one so far was Young Children Reinvent Arithmetic because I love learning about math-specific ECE epistemology
- Set up at least one dinner party/game night with friends each month - o poo poo forgot about this one.
- One date night each month - ya, escape rooms are the best dates
- Substitute teach for 10+ days - subbed three days so far this year

Winter:
- Finish final touches on music room (acoustic art, hallway floor, acoustic curtains) - did the acoustic curtains, gotta put up the acoustic art, have not done the hallway floor
- Get quotes for remodeling the kitchen - done!
- Install shelving for the pantry - going to be included with the kitchen remodel

Spring
- Do a pumpkin-heavy garden
- Finish remodeling the back bedroom (buy furniture, repaint) - already finished this one, woo!
- Spring cleaning
- Paint the back of the house
- Run neighborhood Sunday night bonfires

Summer
- Stain the deck
- Powerwash and paint the front concrete
- Redo the outside area to be more of an art zone
- Have a kickass 40th birthday party :toot:

Fall
- Have a kickass 10th anniversary celebration :toot:
- Go balls to the wall for Halloween decorations
- Get Christmas stuff done in November

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Good-Natured Filth posted:

I'm sure this means you had read Beowulf out loud to your baby, but I'm imagining a rewrite of the story with Beowulf as a baby the whole time. (Which is kinda the premise of Bea Wolf - an awesome graphic novel retelling of Beowulf from a kids' imagination.)
I got my daughter this book and she loves it and I loved reading it to her, fantastic art. The history of Beowulf at the end is also super interesting.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

moana posted:

I got my daughter this book and she loves it and I loved reading it to her, fantastic art. The history of Beowulf at the end is also super interesting.

Agreed! It's an awesome book. I'm a fan of the author, but he usually publishes humorous nonfiction or collections of his webcomic (Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal). He actually has another children's book with the illustrator of Bea Wolf that I have yet to check out, but plan to soon - Augie and the Green Knight.

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Mar 6, 2024

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
I'm getting a head start on posting this one, since the market has closed for Good Friday anyway, and I'll be travelling for the next few days so I'm not going to move any money around.

Had a bit of a dip because of some more travel expenses for my trip to Scotland in May, and had to move some money to another account so a hotel will be able to put a hold on the correct credit card for a stay I already paid for, so that's some more money that's coming back to the savings account.
I also booked my Christmas vacation to Mexico already, but that's not yet in these numbers as my cc statement gets paid in the middle of next month. Amex didn't want to change that to the end of the month the last time I tried, sadly. Maybe I'll try again one of these days. I'll make back most of that Mexico money in my tax refund, but I'm not sure yet when I'll receive that. So potentially another month where the savings accts aren't full next month. I'll survive. In May I'll get my yearly 8% holiday pay, so if the tax refund is late, I'll use that to fill up the house accounts.

I've also decided to start saving for these travel expenses in a more organized way. If the other accounts are full and I'm at or ahead of the planned amount in the brokerage account, I'll fill a new savings account up to 5k. That way, I won't have to temporarily dip into the house savings account to pay for travel stuff. I'll include that savings account in the calculations, but it's not my goal to keep it full at all times.

2024 goals

Financial
- Combined house and emergency fund to €20k
Emergency €10k
House savings €5750
House checking €3000
For a total of €18750
- €1800 extra mortgage payments
€150 again, €450 total, as planned.
- €200 per month to tax advantaged retirement account
Done automatically again.
- Non tax advantaged brokerage account to at least €58k
€48645, up from €46610
No extra input from me, all market movement.
More than two months ahead of schedule on this, but it's easy to lose it again.

House
No progress
- Get a washer and dryer
No progress, I've been travelling too much

Other
Love, Death and Money in the Pays D'Oc by Emmanuel Le Roy Ladurie is not as much fun as I hoped. More literature survey than fun local history. Maybe I'll drop this, or I'll force through. I'll catch up with other books later.
Did some planning with my friend that has published a few. She's going to help me a bit.
On track, but only because I count the large amounts of walking I do as exercise.
- Travel
On track to visit a new country this year, since I'm taking a few days break in Riga over Easter.
Guaranteed to reach KLM Silver status with the Scotland trip in May, and Gold with the Mexico trip in December. Mostly thanks to a shitload of work travel, though. And I make a killing on the per diem as well.

I have a graph!

(This is just the savings accounts, house checking and brokerage, so stuff I can access without problems)

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

ultrafilter posted:

Under contract.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

March update. The work crisis has ballooned onto a work catastrophony which has gotten progressively worse over time. Still progressing other things mostly on schedule, though.

Personal/Finance
1. Read two books a month to resolve primary backlog, 7/20. Maintaining my lead, and I may have another layover coming in which to power through a book.
2. Get a will. No progress. Still low priority.
3. Move to larger place in lower CoL area. Still occurring after organizational cleanup below.
4. Bank account transfer. Set up initial savings account at Ally for general transfer use, will conduct rest of transfer in May.
5. Set up IRA. No effort here yet, need to do some more reading.
6. Lose 30 pounds, 5/30. No change. Stress from work is causing me to pingpong ten pounds down and back.

Organizational cleanup
Complete indexing and stable permanent organization of:
1. Hardcopy file archive (three cabinets remaining, approx. 0/20 feet). Still frozen as I wait for my source to track down digital copies of these articles. This is an annoying bottleneck.
2. Email archive process files from 10 years of archive, 5/10 and new presort rules needed. About 5k more to go through. Doable in April, I hope...
3. Electronic file archive (still need to create a manifest, these are all over the place). Frozen until other tasks worked on.
4. Internet bookmark archive:
4a. Primary set Done, reduced to ongoing operating minimum. Again, this started 5x larger than any other set and is a great accomplishment unto itself.
4b. Secondary set Done.
4c. Tertiary set ?/~1600 divided across 9 systems. Still some work to do here. One of these sets is very time consuming and covers about a quarter of the total, it will be a target for April.
4d. Quaternary/subset org and maintenance sets. Deferred until tertiary is done, basically a stretch goal and ongoing effort.
5. after completing primary reading backlog, finish book index and evaluate collections for cutdown, 0/7. This will start to move late in the year, but I've done some dabbling around the edges. Ideally I can clear out about 1/7th of my holdings so I can have fewer bookcases.

Posting goals
1. Complete Shockley project by assigned date March 1. All main posts complete, need a final conclusions and policy analysis post, likely May. Also creating an expanded bibliography for further reading on the subject.
2. Review books for TBB 7/20.
3. Restart antivaxx bookshelf with Deer book summary. Pushing back to May.
4. Continue antivaxx bookshelf with Kennedy book summary. Later in year depending on user interest.
5. 2023 Kellies OP by January 15. Completely blown, I still have to process about half the entries. This is miserable despite the creation of goon-made tools that make it remotely possible. It will be a target for April.

Gaming goals
1. Hitman Freelancer prestiges 6/10. Low priority.

April is going to be worse than March was as I have business trips and the work management crisis has become like a dark comedy. We'll see what I can manage.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Apr 2, 2024

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
April

Current State
- Mortgage on 30 year fixed at 2.875%

Financial Goals for 2024
- Max out Backdoor Roth IRAs for me/wife Done
- Max both of our 401ks/Mega Backdoor Roths On track
- Put 15k/month in to brokerage account On track
- Put 3k/month in to savings On track
- Fund Baby Evil's 529 with an extra 20k
- Increase net worth to the next million

Non-Financial Goals:
- Read 1 book/month if you count children's books, I'm crushing it. Goal for April is to finish that first book. :negative:
- Increase FTP to 4.1 w/kg 4.04.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

March Update. Got a great new job I'm starting next month, so I'm feeling all right despite the state of these particular goals...

Financial
  • Keep emergency fund at $1000 - Fund still very low at $125. (+$15 change month-over-month.) Not on pace.

• Get "eventual condo down payment" savings to at least $25k - Fund at $15,500. (+$600 month-over-month) Not on pace.

• Get vending machine returns over $600/month - $415 total take this month. I'm starting to wonder if I want to continue on with this. My business partner is getting flakier and flakier, and I'm just not sure if it'll be worth going in on a second location with him. Calling this one "uncertain" for now.

• Completely pay off consumer loan - Balance down to $12,500 (once again down $900 month-over-month). Gonna call this not on pace since if I keep this up I'll still have $4400 left by EOY.

Life
  • Get body fat percentage down below 22%, as measured by DXA scan. - Gonna get my DXA scan this month to get a better track, but average was essentially flat at 28.5% this month. Falling off pace.

• Average at least 3 workouts a week at my gym. - Really hosed up on this one. 7 gym workouts this month. Not on pace.

• Get the "1000 Move Goals" cheevo on my Apple Watch (keeping move calorie goal at 1360) - 923/1000. Not on pace.

• Complete 2 Sections in Duolingo's Spanish course - Once again, Duolingo went and restructured their loving courses. Every time they do this it throws me off pretty badly, and I don’t think they do a very good job moving you from where you were previously to the equivalent area of the new outline. The good news: Setting my goal at the Section level has kept this from completely ruining at chance of tracking/keeping to the goal. The bad news: If I’m going to stay on track I need to finish 2 levels a day every day from now ‘till the Summer solstice. So far I’m keeping to that, but it’s a lot. Entiendo un poco mas de español escucho en el mundo, pero aún necesito Google Translate escribir esta sentencia. Barely on pace.

• Read >12 books - 1 books read this month, Richard Ayoade's The Grip of Film. Very fun book, and a quick read once I actually made time for now. 1/12 down for the year. Not on pace.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

March update.

2024 Financial Goals
  • Annual budget reassessment
  • Max backdoor Roth IRAs
  • Max HSA - On track
  • Max 401k - On track
  • Donate at least $4000 to charity - $0 of $4000
  • Move from Mint to another tracking tool

2024 Personal Goals
  • Read 20 books (1 in Spanish) - 10 of 20 - I liked The Bible Repairman and Other Stories even if I wish some of the short stories were longer.
    Side note: I updated this goal from 16 to 20 books. I am reading Animorphs with my daughter, and I keep track of that reading in StoryGraph as well so it gets counted towards my book total. We get through them pretty quickly, and I'm too lazy to manually subtract them from my reading goal here, so I just increased the goal to compensate.
  • Cardio exercise 120 times - 28 of 120 - Slightly behind due to vacation and work travel.
  • Exercise my core 3x a week - On track
  • Use all of my vacation (256 hours) - 60 of 256
  • Reduce unfinished game list by an amount that makes me feel happy - 0 games removed this month. 9 total this year.
  • Donate blood 4 times - 1 of 4
  • Give the kids an experience every month - We went to Cancun for spring break. It was the first time out of the country for the kids, so they got to experience the joys of international travel. We stayed at an all-inclusive resort with a water park, so we all had an enjoyable (if not relaxing) time. Bonus that I got to practice my Spanish more (I'm no good at it in real life).

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 31, 2024

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
March Update.

Financial Goals
- Contribute Tax Return or 2k to IRA. Got an appointment with my financial guy at the end of April, though realistically I could have probably dumped this in on my own. We'll see where it actually goes but it looks like I have 1.5k that I'd like to invest someplace better than the house fund below.

- Save money for house. -800 from January still, dunno how to make this up exactly.

- Beg for raise in March. Randomly got one in January. And now being told last week that I'll see another raise in my paycheck in two weeks??? All I can figure is my small company is scared of losing more personnel and finally learned you have to pay your employees a decent wage for them to stick around. Not holding my breath on that last point though.

- Solid Contingency Plan. No progress.

Personal Goals
-Make a Cabinet of Curiosity/cull subpar artifacts. I feel good about the direction my coin collecting has gone. I need to sell some figures though, but things are too much in flux (and I'm doing too much overtime) to be able to drop poo poo to the post office should anyone actually buy my crap.

- Play and Beat all DS and 3DS games. Up to grinding for the Elite Four in Pokemon Black, sooo close to the end.

- Watch all of my Urusei Yatsura blurays. A few episodes farther, still on disc 4 in box one though.

- Play more board games/engage more with people. Should I count Easter? Imma count Easter as it was celebrated with new people and was a great time. Also did the usual trip to see friends in Baltimore, though idk if routine visits should count for this.

- Books read. 3/5 and lol I basically hate read the book of this month, didn't really like it at all.

- Finish a sketchbook. I vaguely remember doing a scribble for some art project on a page.

- Get back into jewelry making. Still at the same 10 craft projects complete and due to circumstances I've had to pack up my jewelry poo poo for now.

-Travel goals; do a day trip. Again, not one of my specific day trip goals but I was allowed to metal detect on a friend of a friend's property. It was a former dump/farm so lots of unidentifiable rusty machinery bit and normal poo poo for rural American areas like the most interesting find of the day; a couple bullet casings.

Still have my little health blip to contend with, but I've been doing really good on the clean out of junk as I have to get all my poo poo out of the basement for a house project, while at the same time moving in to my partner's place. Feeling good and positive about getting stuff rolling though!

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Apr 1, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pipistrelle
Jun 18, 2011

End of March Update

2024 Financial Goals
1. Contribute full amount to 401(k) - Set to auto contribute - ish, gonna have to catch up on this one. Had some funkiness happen with my work 401(k) due to them switching financial providers, so we weren’t able to contribute for the month of March. I put the extra from my paychecks into the Roth and vacation goals instead to try and finish them up faster, and will increase my 401(k) contributions for the rest of the year to still max it.
2. Set aside max amount for 2025 IRA - $2267 of $7000
3. Set aside $1,200 for vacations- $1100 of $1,200

2024 Personal Goals
1. Read 20 books - 8 of 20
2. Read 2 career related books - 1 of 2
4. Work out 15 times a month - 11 of 15 - Turns out I’m not great at making myself workout…
5. Use standing desk every working day
6. Close unused accounts - 3 of 4
7. Get a will