Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

I'll likely tweak these a bit as the year goes, but here's a start.

2023 Financial Goals
  • Annual budget reassessment
  • Max backdoor Roth IRAs
  • Max HSA
  • Max 401k
  • 50/month into kids' 529s
  • Donate at least $4000 to charity
  • Move from Mint to another tracking tool

2023 Personal Goals
  • Read 16 books (1 in Spanish)
  • Exercise 120 times
  • Core exercises 3x a week
  • Use all of my vacation (256 hours)
  • Reduce unfinished game list by an amount that makes me feel happy
  • Donate blood 4 times
  • Give the kids an experience every month

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jan 2, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

• Have baby and keep baby alive for all of 2024
  • [Read 6 books about how the baby works

Congrats on the upcoming baby! If you hadn't planned on it, come join us in the Parenting thread. There is a big collection of goons parenting a wide range of ages in there (infants to college-aged) and a solid amount of collective goon "wisdom" on troubleshooting kids.

As a parenting book reco, I've enjoyed the "New Father" series by Armin A Brott. It's originally from the early 2000's, so there are some outdated viewpoints on technology and the ostracization of stay-at-home / involved fathers isn't as pronounced nowadays as he makes it out to be. My wife liked the "What to Expect" series, but I found them to be overly dense in information.

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jan 1, 2024

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

January update.

2024 Financial Goals
  • Annual budget reassessment - Looking good.
  • Max backdoor Roth IRAs
  • Max HSA - On track
  • Max 401k - On track
  • 50/month into kids' 529s - On track
  • Donate at least $4000 to charity
  • Move from Mint to another tracking tool - I moved to Fidelity Full View since I already have some accounts there. It's meeting my needs so far.

2024 Personal Goals
  • Read 16 books (1 in Spanish) - 2 of 16 - I enjoyed Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell, though it was tedious at times.
  • Exercise 120 times - 8 of 120 - The flu came through the house and put me out a week. Already behind target.
  • Core exercises 3x a week - On track
  • Use all of my vacation (256 hours) - 12 of 256
  • Reduce unfinished game list by an amount that makes me feel happy - 4 games removed
  • Donate blood 4 times
  • Give the kids an experience every month - We went to the local zoo to see the Christmas lights before they were taken down. It was unseasonably warm, so we ended up getting to see more animals than expected as well.

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Feb 3, 2024

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Pipistrelle posted:

5. Use standing desk every working day - Meh on this. I started out strong but I think I’m doing something wrong ergonomically cause I ended up with awful headaches the days I did it. So that was fun, I need to figure out what it is I’m doing wrong.

There are a million blog posts out there on how to properly use a standing desk (example). Personally, I've found that I need a supportive mat to stand on, otherwise it fucks up my whole back, which can lead to headaches for me. Also for proper ergonomics, a standing desk and your monitor are supposed to be higher than you might think.

YMMV, but good luck figuring it out! I love my standing desk, and it's definitely helped me feel better long-term.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

February update.

2024 Financial Goals
  • Max backdoor Roth IRAs - Done
  • Max HSA - On track
  • Max 401k - On track
  • Donate at least $4000 to charity - $0 of $4000

2024 Personal Goals
  • Read 16 books (1 in Spanish) - 4 of 16 - I liked Fantasticland.
  • Cardio exercise 120 times - 20 of 120
  • Exercise my core 3x a week - On track
  • Use all of my vacation (256 hours) - 12 of 256
  • Reduce unfinished game list by an amount that makes me feel happy - 5 games removed this month. 9 total this year.
  • Donate blood 4 times
  • Give the kids an experience every month - We took them to a "family swim" event at the place they have swim lessons. It was a big pool party, basically, and it was a blast.

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Feb 29, 2024

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I read the baby Beowulf

I'm sure this means you had read Beowulf out loud to your baby, but I'm imagining a rewrite of the story with Beowulf as a baby the whole time. (Which is kinda the premise of Bea Wolf - an awesome graphic novel retelling of Beowulf from a kids' imagination.)

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

moana posted:

I got my daughter this book and she loves it and I loved reading it to her, fantastic art. The history of Beowulf at the end is also super interesting.

Agreed! It's an awesome book. I'm a fan of the author, but he usually publishes humorous nonfiction or collections of his webcomic (Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal). He actually has another children's book with the illustrator of Bea Wolf that I have yet to check out, but plan to soon - Augie and the Green Knight.

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Mar 6, 2024

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

March update.

2024 Financial Goals
  • Max backdoor Roth IRAs
  • Max HSA - On track
  • Max 401k - On track
  • Donate at least $4000 to charity - $0 of $4000

2024 Personal Goals
  • Read 20 books (1 in Spanish) - 10 of 20 - I liked The Bible Repairman and Other Stories even if I wish some of the short stories were longer.
    Side note: I updated this goal from 16 to 20 books. I am reading Animorphs with my daughter, and I keep track of that reading in StoryGraph as well so it gets counted towards my book total. We get through them pretty quickly, and I'm too lazy to manually subtract them from my reading goal here, so I just increased the goal to compensate.
  • Cardio exercise 120 times - 28 of 120 - Slightly behind due to vacation and work travel.
  • Use all of my vacation (256 hours) - 60 of 256
  • Reduce unfinished game list by an amount that makes me feel happy - 0 games removed this month. 9 total this year.
  • Donate blood 4 times - 1 of 4
  • Give the kids an experience every month - We went to Cancun for spring break. It was the first time out of the country for the kids, so they got to experience the joys of international travel. We stayed at an all-inclusive resort with a water park, so we all had an enjoyable (if not relaxing) time. Bonus that I got to practice my Spanish more (I'm no good at it in real life).

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 31, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

April update.

2024 Financial Goals
  • Max backdoor Roth IRAs
  • Max HSA - On track
  • Max 401k - On track
  • Donate at least $4000 to charity - $210 of $4000

2024 Personal Goals
  • Read 20 books (1 in Spanish) - 13 of 20 - A couple smaller books but nothing of note.
  • Cardio exercise 120 times - 41 of 120
  • Use all of my vacation (256 hours) - 76 of 256
  • Reduce unfinished game list by an amount that makes me feel happy - 4 games removed this month. 13 total this year.
  • Donate blood 4 times - 1 of 4
  • Give the kids an experience every month - We saw the total eclipse at my parents' house. Almost 4 minutes of totality in beautiful weather! The kids were excited (and so was I).