Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
2024 Financial Goals
  • Max retirement accounts - 401(k), IRAs, HSA, wife pension, wife 458
  • Contribute $1K/mo plus $5K from bonus in to KG3 529
  • Find an accountant
  • Save at least $60K towards house down payment
  • Complete DCA enrollment and max contributions

2024 Personal Goals
  • Have baby and keep baby alive for all of 2024
  • Use all my PTO - 0/28 days
  • [Read 6 books about how the baby works
  • Read 6 books for adults that have nothing to do with how babies work
  • Exercise 100+ days
  • Use all parental leave - 0/10 weeks
  • Go outside every day of parental leave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Good-Natured Filth posted:

Congrats on the upcoming baby! If you hadn't planned on it, come join us in the Parenting thread. There is a big collection of goons parenting a wide range of ages in there (infants to college-aged) and a solid amount of collective goon "wisdom" on troubleshooting kids.

As a parenting book reco, I've enjoyed the "New Father" series by Armin A Brott. It's originally from the early 2000's, so there are some outdated viewpoints on technology and the ostracization of stay-at-home / involved fathers isn't as pronounced nowadays as he makes it out to be. My wife liked the "What to Expect" series, but I found them to be overly dense in information.

Thanks! I'll be sure to stop by. I did not care for "The Expectant Father" by Brott - can't really recall why at this point, it was one of the early books I read. Did "What to Expect," the Emily Oster stuff (hilarious econ brained poo poo but some useful stuff), "Bringing up Bebe" (interesting, Druckerman is an annoying narrator), and "Brain Rules for Baby" (which I liked quite a bit).

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

I take it back. Holy poo poo I hate commuting. gently caress you Boston.

Pro tip do not go in on Wednesdays.

What’s your commute?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Malden Center to Kendall. I’m sure there’s worse commutes, but I’m just sick as hell of this one.

That’s a pretty annoying one, though. Not a lot of good transit options and it’s a lovely drive. This is an awful city to commute in.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Even to me, the world's most debt-averse human being who paid down a 1.9% car note early in late 2019 (oops), trying to pay down your ultra-low-interest mortgage early in a crisis seems like, the opposite of what you should do. I get that you want to still be able to cover the mortgage in the event of job loss, but why attempt to prepay it? Even if you have a big chunk of money set aside for prepayment, if you put that money in a treasury ladder right now you're earning like 2.5% real with zero risk and you can just keep paying the mortgage on time from that pile of investments.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

2024 Financial Goals
  • Max retirement accounts - 401(k), IRAs, HSA, wife pension, wife 458 - on track
  • Contribute $1K/mo plus $5K from bonus in to KG3 529 - on track, did $10k instead for KG3 since I got a bigger than anticipated bonus
  • Find an accountant - not yet
  • Save at least $60K towards house down payment on pace, $35,000 YTD
  • Complete DCA enrollment and max contributions done

2024 Personal Goals
  • Have baby and keep baby alive for all of 2024 - the baby is still alive! hurrah
  • Use all my PTO - 0/28 days 1/28 used
  • [Read 6 books about how the baby works 2/6 read Cribsheets and Happiest Baby
  • Read 6 books for adults that have nothing to do with how babies work 1/6, I read the baby Beowulf
  • Exercise 100+ days lol, lmao
  • Use all parental leave - 0/10 weeks - 4.5/10
  • Go outside every day of parental leave - going to keep track of days I DON'T go outside, 2 so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I definitely wouldn’t sweat intraday equities market moves, especially in a 4 fund portfolio. If it makes you nervous stop lookin at it