Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I'll assume it's kosher to list primarily non-financial goals, thread title notwithstanding:

- Get a will.
- Read two books a month (take that Dr. Evil) to resolve primary backlog, 0/20.
- Complete indexing and stable long-term organization of:
= hardcopy file archive (three cabinets remaining, approx. 0/20 feet).
= electronic file archive (still need to create a manifest, these are all over the place. This is in tension with digitizing appropriate hardcopy files above).
= email archive, 0/5 remaining years to process, and new presort rules.
= internet bookmark archive (Primary set 0/200, secondary 0/800, tertiary ~0/2000 divided across 10 systems, quaternary/subset org and maintenance sets will need a new manifest after finishing the first three).
= after completing primary reading backlog, finish book index and evaluate collections for cutdown, 0/7.
- Move to larger place in lower CoL area.
- Bank account transfer.
- Set up CD purchase.
- Lose 25 pounds, 0/25.

Posting goals:
- Complete Shockley project by assigned date March 1.
- Review books for TBB 0/20.
- Restart antivaxx bookshelf with Deer book summary.
- Continue antivaxx bookshelf with Kennedy book summary.
- 2023 Kellies OP by January 15.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jan 14, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Doing January update now while I have the time.

Personal/Finance
- Read two books a month to resolve primary backlog, 2/20. Slightly ahead of schedule, I've started into the next set.
- Get a will. No progress. Not high priority, thankfully.
- Move to larger place in lower CoL area. Likely waiting to do so until I finish some of the below cleanup.
- Bank account transfer. Bank identified - looking at Ally for their range of CDs (though I should probably ask around here). Need to complete below to facilitate changeover.
= Document all autopaid accounts to prep for transfer.
- Set up CD purchase. Will occur after bank account transfer.
- Lose 25 pounds, 5/25. Maybe part of my move decision should be focused on places with fewer restaurants...or quit interacting with DnD, which drives stress, which drives stress eating.

Organizational cleanup
- Complete indexing and stable permanent organization of:
= hardcopy file archive (three cabinets remaining, approx. 0/20 feet). Indexed about 150 research papers that a contact is going to try to get for me in digital form; this will clear up the space to continue work, but frozen for now. The rest should be relatively fast, I did all the difficult stuff already.
= Email archive process files from 10 years of archive, 2/10 and new presort rules needed. I was wrong and there's way more years of these to chew through than I thought- I need go go back to 2008- but so far I've cleared through 2016. This started at an unimaginable 48k emails and is now less than 10k and dropping.
= Electronic file archive (still need to create a manifest, these are all over the place). This is in tension with digitizing appropriate hardcopy files and cleaning emails above, as both "generate" new files to sort). No manifest, but I've got a partial structure and have sorted about 150 of these. Lots of duplication.

= Internet bookmark archive:
Primary set 100/200, Essentially done, anticipate reducing to operating minimum in Feb. For comparison when I started my cleanup about 2 years ago there were 9,000 of these.
Secondary 300/800, Adequate progress.
Tertiary ?/~2000 divided across 10 systems. I've started work on the largest/most time consuming set, which has about 500 left.
Quaternary/subset org and maintenance sets. Deferred until primary and secondary are done, basically a stretch goal and ongoing effort.
= after completing primary reading backlog, finish book index and evaluate collections for cutdown, 0/7. This will start to move late in the year, but I've done some dabbling around the edges. Ideally I can clear out about 1/7th of my holdings so I can have fewer bookcases.

Posting goals
- Complete Shockley project by assigned date March 1. All main posts complete, some supplemental material would also be good but isn't time sensitive.
- Review books for TBB 2/20. On track.
- Restart antivaxx bookshelf with Deer book summary. Part of next set of books, likely March.
- Continue antivaxx bookshelf with Kennedy book summary. Later in year depending on user interest.
- 2023 Kellies OP by January 15. Completely blown due to work crisis, way more nominees than usual and ongoing frustration with moderation in DnD. Now targeting March 1.

Gaming goals
- Hitman Freelancer prestiges 4/10. A videogame grind so onerous I'm listing completion in my annual goals; all four of those were from last year. Low priority.

February is going to be crowded by significant work obligations, so progress may be slowed.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Feb 23, 2024

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

drk posted:

What are you reasons for a new account? I really like the Fidelity CMA i opened last year. Its mostly a regular brokerage account so you can hold things like money market funds, treasuries, or ETFs.

Without getting into specifics, my employer's matched policy is insufficient and I've currently just got checking and debit with BofA (and have generally had poor experiences with them) plus a Capital One credit card flowing from my BofA checking. I'd like to effectively bolster my longer-term savings while taking a minimal involvement, low risk approach (I don't have the time or holdings to make being more active worthwhile), and Ally's no penalty CDs seemed appealing on that front with their current rates.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jan 29, 2024

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

February update. As anticipated I lost a lot of time to work obligations.

Personal/Finance
- Read two books a month to resolve primary backlog, 5/20. Actually way ahead of schedule- I used a layover to push through an extra book. This months' were some of the hardest reads in my stack, too.
- Get a will. No progress. Still low priority.
- Move to larger place in lower CoL area. Still occurring after subsequent cleanup.
- Bank account transfer. Likely going to Ally. Still need to complete below to facilitate changeover.
- Set up IRA. Changing priority after consulting the planning thread and wading through the people who refused to communicate to the users who actually read what I said and identified my error.
- Lose 30 pounds, 5/30. About unchanged, but I'm going to target another 5 pounds loss.

Organizational cleanup
- Complete indexing and stable permanent organization of:
= Hardcopy file archive (three cabinets remaining, approx. 0/20 feet). Still frozen as I wait for my source to track down digital copies of these articles. This is an annoying bottleneck.
= Email archive process files from 10 years of archive, 3/10 and new presort rules needed. Cleared through 2015, 2014-2010 will take significant work but this is getting done.
= Electronic file archive (still need to create a manifest, these are all over the place). Some progress but largely delayed behind the above hardcopy archival task.
= Internet bookmark archive:
Primary set Done, reduced to ongoing operating minimum. Again, this started 5x larger than any other set and is a great accomplishment unto itself.
Secondary 400/800, Slower progress than desired but I can finish the rest of this off pretty easily.
Tertiary ?/~2000 divided across 10 systems. Still some work to do here. One of these sets is very time consuming, but the others will all be very fast.
Quaternary/subset org and maintenance sets. Deferred until primary and secondary are done, basically a stretch goal and ongoing effort.
= after completing primary reading backlog, finish book index and evaluate collections for cutdown, 0/7. This will start to move late in the year, but I've done some dabbling around the edges. Ideally I can clear out about 1/7th of my holdings so I can have fewer bookcases.

Posting goals
- Complete Shockley project by assigned date March 1. Done. All main posts complete, need a final conclusions and policy analysis post, likely early March.
- Review books for TBB 5/20. On track.
- Restart antivaxx bookshelf with Deer book summary. Pushing back to April set, when I'll have another convenient layover.
- Continue antivaxx bookshelf with Kennedy book summary. Later in year depending on user interest.
- 2023 Kellies OP by January 15. Still completely blown, now even worse because the laptop I was using was stolen, setting me back heavily. I intend to do this by end of March.

Gaming goals
- Hitman Freelancer prestiges 5/10. Low priority.

March is going to be painful: while I don't have any assigned travel, work obligations are severe and a management crisis has occurred, greatly increasing my responsibilities. I'm going to mostly concentrate on clearing out the email and bookmark sets, and trying to keep the stress from causing me to overeat.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Mar 1, 2024

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

March update. The work crisis has ballooned onto a work catastrophony which has gotten progressively worse over time. Still progressing other things mostly on schedule, though.

Personal/Finance
1. Read two books a month to resolve primary backlog, 7/20. Maintaining my lead, and I may have another layover coming in which to power through a book.
2. Get a will. No progress. Still low priority.
3. Move to larger place in lower CoL area. Still occurring after organizational cleanup below.
4. Bank account transfer. Set up initial savings account at Ally for general transfer use, will conduct rest of transfer in May.
5. Set up IRA. No effort here yet, need to do some more reading.
6. Lose 30 pounds, 5/30. No change. Stress from work is causing me to pingpong ten pounds down and back.

Organizational cleanup
Complete indexing and stable permanent organization of:
1. Hardcopy file archive (three cabinets remaining, approx. 0/20 feet). Still frozen as I wait for my source to track down digital copies of these articles. This is an annoying bottleneck.
2. Email archive process files from 10 years of archive, 5/10 and new presort rules needed. About 5k more to go through. Doable in April, I hope...
3. Electronic file archive (still need to create a manifest, these are all over the place). Frozen until other tasks worked on.
4. Internet bookmark archive:
4a. Primary set Done, reduced to ongoing operating minimum. Again, this started 5x larger than any other set and is a great accomplishment unto itself.
4b. Secondary set Done.
4c. Tertiary set ?/~1600 divided across 9 systems. Still some work to do here. One of these sets is very time consuming and covers about a quarter of the total, it will be a target for April.
4d. Quaternary/subset org and maintenance sets. Deferred until tertiary is done, basically a stretch goal and ongoing effort.
5. after completing primary reading backlog, finish book index and evaluate collections for cutdown, 0/7. This will start to move late in the year, but I've done some dabbling around the edges. Ideally I can clear out about 1/7th of my holdings so I can have fewer bookcases.

Posting goals
1. Complete Shockley project by assigned date March 1. All main posts complete, need a final conclusions and policy analysis post, likely May. Also creating an expanded bibliography for further reading on the subject.
2. Review books for TBB 7/20.
3. Restart antivaxx bookshelf with Deer book summary. Pushing back to May.
4. Continue antivaxx bookshelf with Kennedy book summary. Later in year depending on user interest.
5. 2023 Kellies OP by January 15. Completely blown, I still have to process about half the entries. This is miserable despite the creation of goon-made tools that make it remotely possible. It will be a target for April.

Gaming goals
1. Hitman Freelancer prestiges 6/10. Low priority.

April is going to be worse than March was as I have business trips and the work management crisis has become like a dark comedy. We'll see what I can manage.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Apr 2, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

April update. As anticipated, worse than March. The work crisis has continued, and I'll have similar issues in May. Still working stuff.

Personal/Finance
1. Read two books a month to resolve primary backlog, 10/20. Did manage to read one extra during my trip. May add 2 more to the target amount.
2. Get a will. No progress. Still low priority.
3. Move to larger place in lower CoL area. Still occurring after organizational cleanup below.
4. Bank account transfer. Set up initial savings account at Ally for general transfer use, will conduct rest of transfer in May.
5. Set up IRA. This has become a priority due to administrator changes at vanguard; I will make the needed changes- still need to figure out what- in May.
6. Lose 30 pounds, 5/30. No change.

Organizational cleanup
Complete indexing and stable permanent organization of:
1. Hardcopy file archive (three cabinets remaining, approx. 0/20 feet). Still frozen, but my source is purportedly working on it now. I can't wait to be free of these stacks of paper.
2. Email archive process files from 10 years of archive, 8/10 and new presort rules needed. Plan to finish in May.
3. Electronic file archive (still need to create a manifest, these are all over the place). Frozen until other tasks worked on.
4. Internet bookmark archive:
4a. Primary set Done, reduced to ongoing operating minimum.
4b. Secondary set Done.
4c. Tertiary set ?/~1600 divided across 9 systems. Made some progress on the worst of these sets, will try to finish it in May. The rest will be a cakewalk.
4d. Quaternary/subset org and maintenance sets. Deferred until tertiary is done, basically a stretch goal and ongoing effort.
5. after completing primary reading backlog, finish book index and evaluate collections for cutdown, 0/7. This will start to move late in the year, but I've done some dabbling around the edges. Ideally I can clear out about 1/7th of my holdings so I can have fewer bookcases.

Posting goals
1. Complete Shockley project by assigned date March 1. Going to write the a final conclusions and policy analysis post in May, along with an expanded bibliography for further reading on the subject.
2. Review books for TBB 10/20. Ahead, in sync.
3. Restart antivaxx bookshelf with Deer book summary. Docketed for May.
4. Continue antivaxx bookshelf with Kennedy book summary. Later in year depending on user interest.
5. 2023 Kellies OP by January 15. Finished initial processing, have some smaller categorization to do here that I still will get done this weekend. Blown, but recoverable. We just gotta get this process locked down so others can do it in the future.

Gaming goals
1. Hitman Freelancer prestiges 6/10. Nearly at the next increment here, but bottom priority.

Lots of stuff on this list will be resolved in the next month- here's hoping!

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Apr 30, 2024