Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Like last year, I'll post this draft now and edit it until the 31st if I change my mind or have a better idea. Then it will be locked for 2024...
(FINAL EDIT: Locked-in for 2024.)

Financial
  • Keep emergency fund at $1000 - Trying this again, with a twist. Went ahead and put $1000 in the account. Now I need to keep it there unless there is a bona fide emergency. Fund currently at $1000. ("Emergency fund" in this case meaning money sitting in an account where I could go to an ATM at 3:00am and withdraw it if needed, but is otherwise untouched.)

• Get "eventual condo down payment" savings to at least $25k - Fund is currently at $14,500. This one is aggressive, and won't actually be enough to buy a condo I would want in 2025, but it puts me in a better position than I am now.

• Get vending machine returns over $600/month - Recently been investing in my friend's vending machine business, and the 1 machine I have with him now has averaged around $380/month in return. He expects that to drop a bit over time, but we are looking for opportunities in new locations already. Hitting this level would likely mean getting at least 2 other machines going, but I'm putting the dollar amount goal so that if we end up landing a particularly good spot that will still be a win.

• Completely pay off consumer loan - The dumbest piece of debt I have is this consumer loan with a horrible interest rate. As of right now the balance is $15,200 and there are technically 23 payments remaining. I've been over-paying it for a while, but I want to have it completely eliminated in 2024 to put that chapter of BWM behind me.

• Max out my work's charity donation matching. - With the money I make, donating at least this much to charity is the bare minimum

Life
  • Get body fat percentage down below 22%, as measured by DXA scan. - I lost all the weight this year with Wegovy. Now I need to start doing the hard work of tuning my body composition. Current DXA scan measure (on 12/1/2023) was 27%, which is a big drop from the 37.9% immediately pre-Wegovy. But each percentage drop from here on out is going to be harder and harder to achieve. I'm only going to get 2 or 3 DXA scans in 2024, but I'll be able to keep a close-enough track of this through the BIA tool on my smart scale.

• Average at least 3 workouts a week at my gym. - This means completing 156 workout at my gym. I'll be tracking this through the gym's app where I log my results.

• Get the "1000 Move Goals" cheevo on my Apple Watch (keeping move calorie goal at 1360) - From the day I got my first Apple Watch until today, I have closed my move ring 907 times. As I've lost weight, the amount of calories I burn through moving has dropped so it's been harder to hit 1360. I want to lower that calorie count, but I want to hit the 1000 mark first.

• Complete 2 Sections in Duolingo's Spanish course - Making this about sections instead of units, since Duolingo seems to like to switch the units around. I completed sections 1 and 2 in 2023, so I want to finish section 3 and 4 in 2024, which should put me around CEFR A2.

• Read >12 books - I'm gonna keep putting this goal down until I actually match it.

LanceHunter fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Dec 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

January Update. Went through a breakup and got really bummed out, which lead to some bad financial decisions (but honestly, not as bad as they could have been)...

Financial
  • Keep emergency fund at $1000 - Already hosed this up. I'm very bad at holding on to liquid cash. Fund currently at $105. Gotta rebuild. Not on pace.

• Get "eventual condo down payment" savings to at least $25k - Fund steady at $14,500, no change from beginning of year. Not on pace.

• Get vending machine returns over $600/month - This month's take is a touch over $400. No leads on any new locations yet, but if we can find one that performs as well as this one has then it'll probably be possible to reach the goal with only one other location. Gonna call this one on pace.

• Completely pay off consumer loan - Balance down to $14,300 (paid off $900 of the principal this month). Gotta maintain this current pace of payment and also do well with my future bonuses to hit this goal. I'll call this on pace, even if just barely.

• Max out my work's charity donation matching. - On auto.

Life
  • Get body fat percentage down below 22%, as measured by DXA scan. - Won't have my next DEXA scan until March, but right now the less-accurate measure I get from the BIA measure on my scale puts me around 27.7% body fat. Pretty much steady month-over-month, calling this on pace.

• Average at least 3 workouts a week at my gym. - Only did 7 workouts at the gym this month. Not on pace.

• Get the "1000 Move Goals" cheevo on my Apple Watch (keeping move calorie goal at 1360) - Only closed the move ring 6 times this month, putting me at 913/1000. Gotta close it 8 times a month each remaining month this year to hit the goal. Not on pace.

• Complete 2 Sections in Duolingo's Spanish course - Finished 1 unit of a 16-unit section. Need to finish 2.7 units per month to hit this goal. Not on pace.

• Read >12 books - 0 books read this month. (Just started Richard Ayoade's The Grip of Film) Not on pace.

EDIT: Realized this would be a lot more readable with the goals in bold rather than the comments.

LanceHunter fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Feb 1, 2024

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

ultrafilter posted:

I've secured pre-qualification letters and the pre-approval process is underway. I have a couple candidate realtors and I've narrowed down my options to an area I like.

:nice:

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

February Update. Not doing great...

Financial
  • Keep emergency fund at $1000 - Fund still very low at $110. (+$5 change month-over-month.) Not on pace.

• Get "eventual condo down payment" savings to at least $25k - Fund at $14,900. (+$400 month-over-month) Not on pace.

• Get vending machine returns over $600/month - $350 total take this month. Short month + a lot of rain for a couple of weeks caused small downturn, and then the CC reader was offline these last two days just to twist the knife a little. Still, despite all that the take is over half of this goal, so I can probably adjust expectations to just add one location instead of two to hit it. That said, there are still no leads on a second location. Gonna call this one on pace.

• Completely pay off consumer loan - Balance down to $13,400 (down $900 month-over-month). Still just ever-so-barely on pace.

Life
  • Get body fat percentage down below 22%, as measured by DXA scan. - No DXA scans yet, but BIA is saying my average body fat level this month was 28.6%. Went in the wrong direction this month with a lot of bad eating. Falling off pace.

• Average at least 3 workouts a week at my gym. - Did 9 workouts at the gym this month. Not on pace, but getting closer.

• Get the "1000 Move Goals" cheevo on my Apple Watch (keeping move calorie goal at 1360) - Closed the move ring 5 times this month, putting me at 916/1000 (I think I over-counted last month and only had 911/1000 because I just triple-checked and the total times closed this month and total times closed overall I just wrote down are both right). This goal is a huge pain because I've reached >1300 calories but fell short of 1360 on two days. I need to close the move ring 8-9 times a month now to his this goal. Not on pace.

• Complete 2 Sections in Duolingo's Spanish course - Finished 0 units of a 16-unit section. Need to finish 3 units per month to hit this goal. Not on pace.

• Read >12 books - 0 books read this month, About 1/3rd of the way through Richard Ayoade's The Grip of Film, which is very fun. I'm just not setting aside enough time for this. Not on pace.

LanceHunter fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Mar 1, 2024

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

March Update. Got a great new job I'm starting next month, so I'm feeling all right despite the state of these particular goals...

Financial
  • Keep emergency fund at $1000 - Fund still very low at $125. (+$15 change month-over-month.) Not on pace.

• Get "eventual condo down payment" savings to at least $25k - Fund at $15,500. (+$600 month-over-month) Not on pace.

• Get vending machine returns over $600/month - $415 total take this month. I'm starting to wonder if I want to continue on with this. My business partner is getting flakier and flakier, and I'm just not sure if it'll be worth going in on a second location with him. Calling this one "uncertain" for now.

• Completely pay off consumer loan - Balance down to $12,500 (once again down $900 month-over-month). Gonna call this not on pace since if I keep this up I'll still have $4400 left by EOY.

Life
  • Get body fat percentage down below 22%, as measured by DXA scan. - Gonna get my DXA scan this month to get a better track, but average was essentially flat at 28.5% this month. Falling off pace.

• Average at least 3 workouts a week at my gym. - Really hosed up on this one. 7 gym workouts this month. Not on pace.

• Get the "1000 Move Goals" cheevo on my Apple Watch (keeping move calorie goal at 1360) - 923/1000. Not on pace.

• Complete 2 Sections in Duolingo's Spanish course - Once again, Duolingo went and restructured their loving courses. Every time they do this it throws me off pretty badly, and I don’t think they do a very good job moving you from where you were previously to the equivalent area of the new outline. The good news: Setting my goal at the Section level has kept this from completely ruining at chance of tracking/keeping to the goal. The bad news: If I’m going to stay on track I need to finish 2 levels a day every day from now ‘till the Summer solstice. So far I’m keeping to that, but it’s a lot. Entiendo un poco mas de español escucho en el mundo, pero aún necesito Google Translate escribir esta sentencia. Barely on pace.

• Read >12 books - 1 books read this month, Richard Ayoade's The Grip of Film. Very fun book, and a quick read once I actually made time for now. 1/12 down for the year. Not on pace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

April Update. Still doing poorly, but I think I've pulled out of the worst of it now.

Financial
  • Keep emergency fund at $1000 - Fund still very low at $135. (+$10 change month-over-month.) Not on pace.

• Get "eventual condo down payment" savings to at least $25k - Fund at $15,500. ($0 month-over-month) Not on pace.

• Get vending machine returns over $600/month - Big $520 total take this month. Best month the machine has had. But on Friday my business parter will be buying me out. He has some other opportunities that will be coming up later this year, but honestly at this point I can have a better ROI taking the money and paying off some of my dumber debts. Not on pace / leaving this goal behind.

• Completely pay off consumer loan - Balance down to $11,600 (once again down $900 month-over-month). Not on pace.

Life
  • Get body fat percentage down below 22%, as measured by DXA scan. - Didn't get a DXA scan last month as I was too busy, but planning one for this month. BIA has me averaging 27.9% this month, so at least things are moving in the right direction. Still, gonna have to call this not on pace.

• Average at least 3 workouts a week at my gym. - Got a new coach at my gym and started a new routine, which I've been able to stick to much more effectively. 11 workouts done at the gym this month. Not on pace, but getting closer.

• Get the "1000 Move Goals" cheevo on my Apple Watch (keeping move calorie goal at 1360) - 930/1000. Closed the move ring 7 times this month, and now need to close it 9 times a month every remaining month of the year to hit the goal. This is getting harder and harder as my weight (and thus the number of calories I burn during regular, non-exercise activity) continues to fall. I need to put in more effort to make sure it happens. Not on pace.

• Complete 2 Sections in Duolingo's Spanish course - 101 levels to complete by the Summer Solstice (in 51 days) to properly hit the midway point on this goal. That is keeping with the ~2 levels a day pace I needed to hit last month. This one might just happen. Barely on pace.

• Read >12 books - 1 book read this month, John Higgs's The KLF. This is something I should have read over a decade ago, as it has so many connections to the Discordianism of my youth. It makes for 2 total books read so far this year. Not on pace.