Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
2024 Financial Goals
  • Max out Roth IRA and Simple IRA. Halfway there on the Roth as of today.
  • Save at least 40% of gross salary, including the above. I hit >50% last year, but this year is going to be more challenging for various reasons.
  • Sell off some individual stocks. My stock picks beat the market last year, which is good, but also means I currently have too much allocated to the fun money / gambling pot.
  • Open a new credit card with 0% APR in the spring. I did this last year and saving money for the payment into t-bills is going to net me $500 in interest or so by the time I need to pay the balance in April.

2024 Personal Goals
  • Continue getting exercise at least 6 days a week. I've been pretty good about this the past few years, but fell off a little this winter. My mental and physical well being is noticeably worse if I skip more than a day.
  • Drink alcohol once a week or less. I fairly successfully cut down from nearly every day to twice a week or so in mid-2023, which was good for my health and my wallet.
  • Read at least 3 books. Unless I am forgetting something, I read 2.5 books last year.
  • Try to not lose my poo poo when my mom passes. She's got late stage cancer with no good treatment options and I dont expect her to make it to 2025.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drk
Jan 16, 2005

ntan1 posted:

Instead my goal is to be able to allocate enough investment savings to the house (not paying mortgage early) such that in an emergency I can decrease the size of the mortgage.

Out of curiosity, what sort of emergency do you imagine that would require you to prepay your mortgage? It seems like if anything you would have the opposite problem (needing to borrow against home equity).

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Discendo Vox posted:

- Bank account transfer. Bank identified - looking at Ally for their range of CDs (though I should probably ask around here). Need to complete below to facilitate changeover.

What are you reasons for a new account? I really like the Fidelity CMA i opened last year. Its mostly a regular brokerage account so you can hold things like money market funds, treasuries, or ETFs.