Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

2024 Financial Goals

1. Maintain veterinary fund at $4000. Jet, my cat, has heart disease and will likely have at least one more cardiac event this year. The e-vet visit will be expensive, since I didn’t get insurance for him when he was young. So my goal is to always be ready to fully pay off any of our trips to the ER in 2024.
2. Max out 401(k). I am of the nature to grow old. I cannot avoid growing old. I must prepare.
3. Investigate backdoor Roth. Assuming I'm employed at my same MAGI for this entire year, I can't contribute to my Roth IRA for TY 2024. I should see if it makes financial sense to go through the back door this tax year.
4. Set up my sister’s finances and associated accounts. I’m worried about her dentistry career and her financial security. I can’t do much about her career prospects, but I can at least guide her finances.
5. Start new 2024 budget. My approach to budgeting has historically been very slapdash, and I only just recently understood how to properly use a credit card with YNAB. I'll use my 2023 reports to inform my 2024 budget, but I'll archive the old one.
6. Spend less than $100 combined on snacks and takeout/delivery per month. Holy poo poo food is expensive now. Until wages and salaries are rightfully raised to match, limit the money I spend on them. Also, I've been indulging way too much and way too impulsively, sooo yeah.

(TODO: Add more.)

2024 Personal Goals

1. Care for my cat. I mentioned my cat earlier - he's my most important charge, and he's senescing. Although he's in good spirits and has a respectable amount of energy for being more than 14 years old, he still has heart disease and either IBD or small cell lymphoma. He probably will not see 2025. So we're going to make this the best year ever. 🖤
2. Fix birth certificate. My family is going to file for Italian citizenship via jure sanguinis, but my birth certificate has clerical errors and inaccuracies that need to be amended first. Unfortunately, that birth certificate is in a completely different state than the one I live in! That will require filing a case with both my local and birth state courts and city halls, and it's going to be a huge pain in the rear end. But this is blocking the rest of my family from Italian citizenship, so I need to get this done. I've got the documents, I'm just waiting on some remaining clerical work from the lawyer I've been working with before I can file. Wish me luck, everyone :(
3. Return to my low-carb, time-restricted feeding diet. Good lord have I fallen off that bandwagon. I've gained a sizable amount of weight thanks to impulsive snacking and choosing sugary treats and alcohol for hits of dopamine (to stave off stress and depression). This year, I need to get back to doing two things: minimizing carbohydrates (i.e. stop eating sugar, bread, chips, crackers, chocolate, etc.) and limiting my meal hours (i.e. only eat between 12PM~8PM and stop raiding the office mini-kitchen).
4. Reassess career. Now that I've spent over two years on this project at my job, I think it's time to move on. I'm not happy on my current team, and I'm also uncertain about the company at large. And, uh, whether I'll still be working there by the end of the year. On either my or their terms. I've also been insanely burnt out and dissatisfied with the work I do, and have lost my confidence and self-respect as a software engineer. I'm uncertain of my future career prospects as well, so I want to do something that makes me feel like I'm actually fuckin' learning and growing.
5. Make one song per week. I want to make music, get good at making music, and enjoy making music. I have hella brainworms about making music, and 2023 was a thoroughly unproductive year in that sense. Therefore, I need something to keep me accountable and force me to get over my blank canvas anxiety. So I signed up for WeeklyBeats 2024! It's meant to "encourage musicians to be productive, creative, and have fun", so god willing this will get me to stop fearing the creative process. Especially since my output is expected to be over one minute in length, and fully complete rather than a snippet or WIP. (This is a lofty fuckin' goal, considering I have zero musical training or production education. We'll see how much of this I get done.)
6. Add structure and schedule to my life. ADHD has hosed over my adulthood. I can't organize, plan, or schedule for poo poo. I don't feel productive, creative, or diligent. I wish I was someone who was more organized and put together, and knew exactly what to do with their time and energy. So I'm going to try and be more like that person. I...honestly don't know how to do this, other than leaning on my calendar and to-do list for everything. But I'll try to figure something out! (TODO: Write actionable items for this.)
7. Meet people. 2020 was going to be my year!!! I would turn 30 years old and become a Normal Well-Adjusted Adult!!! And then COVID happened. And we all got quarantined for almost 2 years. And now it's been almost 4 years since my 2020 resolutions and I'm somehow even more isolated and alone. I'm starting to feel my age - if I don't make more and stronger friends, and soon, I'm hosed. I need a stronger social net, and I need it now.
8. Practice guitar every MTRF and follow a practice plan. I like guitar, but so far I've just been plonking around on it like an idiot. So when I look over to it, I feel bad about how little progress I feel like I've made and start avoiding it. I need to practice guitar regularly, even just for 30 minutes at a time. And I also need to follow a plan or course as I do - I have no idea what I'm doing! (And I want to get good enough to go back to my old teacher, who I stopped going to because I felt bad that I couldn't keep up.)
9. Go into the office more often. I’ve gotten too used to work-from-home days. And despite my commute currently being absolute garbage, I still think showing up in person every day is worth it - cause then I’m less likely to be hated or laid off! Right!? :negative: Okay, this one’s a lofty goal. How about going in on Wednesdays again...? :hmmno:

2024 Financial Un-Goals

1. Purchase property. I’m not buying this year - given my current job and associated commute, my career uncertainty, my distaste for local market options, a lack of critical requirements to own a condo or SFH, and just hating the housing market at large…I’m not confident or convinced. And if I’m not 100% on board, forget it.
2. Max out Roth IRA for TY 2023. I was over the MAGI limit for a Roth IRA last tax year, so I won’t be maxing it out before Tax Day.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jan 2, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Pollyanna posted:

9. Go into the office more often. I've gotten too used to work-from-home days. And despite my commute currently being absolute garbage, I still think showing up in person every day is worth it - cause then I'm less likely to be hated or laid off! Right!? :negative: Okay, this one's a lofty goal. How about going in on Wednesdays again...?

I take it back. Holy poo poo I hate commuting. gently caress you Boston.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Malden Center to Kendall. I’m sure there’s worse commutes, but I’m just sick as hell of this one.