Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

welcome posted:

10) Final Fantasy III PR (PS4)
Fun to go back to where the job system started. Magic users are badly shafted by no ethers (even FF1 PR had these!) but they're not needed thanks to the mighty Bard.

That's the one where they went back to the spell charge system, right? But before tents? So inns were really the only option (or maybe the airship, eventually)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

woke kaczynski posted:

Dwarf Fortress has been continuously developed for over two decades, but it received a Steam release with lovingly designed graphics and a new soundtrack (the free game is ASCII based, although there are several fan tilesets you can use if you like, and has a single song that was written by one of the creators that somehow never gets old). The Steam release primarily exists because the creators—two brothers—realized they needed to have enough money for health insurance as they age, and that the fan donations that funded full time development for all that time might not be enough. The free version is still readily available on their website along with all older versions, and they've committed to having them both up to date with one another. Even knowing that, so many people were excited to purchase the game and support them that their first month of sales, even after Steam/publisher cuts, made them both millionaires.

This was so cool to watch. Couldn’t happen to more deserving guys either. I bought a copy despite knowing I’m not in my 20s anymore and my ability to devote hours to DF is just nonexistent, but it was payment for the huge numbers of hours I dumped into it 15 years ago. Probably the release of the year for me even if it’s not my personal game of the year.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
lyle in cube sector rocks. a classic freeware game for sure

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

morallyobjected posted:

That's the one where they went back to the spell charge system, right? But before tents? So inns were really the only option (or maybe the airship, eventually)

Yep, spell charges and no tents. I'm pretty sure there's even an overworld break in the last set of dungeons, so you can save but you can't regain magic.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

DMCrimson posted:

8. Perfect Tides (4.5/5):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHOkNZEKpys

When I have a kid of my own, I no longer have to brace myself for the question “What was high school like in your day?”. I can now throw a copy of Perfect Tides at them and let them experience it. Actually, let’s not do that. They don’t need to know all the gorey details.

I’ve never seen a game that nails a teenager’s mind as well. Mara’s attempts to socialize lands so flat and so often. The internal discouraging monologues, willingness to go along with people she perceives as authoritative, erupting emotional swings that she doesn’t truly mean…they feel so real. Perfect Tides understands that Mara and the others lack life experiences and make horrible assumptions. They don’t have a baseline for what romance is, the right thing to say at the moment with other people in mind, and how to keep their social connections healthy and happy. They’re still in the process of figuring out how to live their lives, and too many teens and adults found their answer in selfishness or cruelty.

Mara in Perfect Tides accurately parallels a gender-swap of my own experiences growing up in the early 00’s: watching TRL on MTV, posting online to supplement fading real-life social connections, and fighting for the agency of adulthood with my family. Hell, I even wrote and uploaded fanfiction. It’s online, somewhere, the worst Simpsons episode in the world written by yours truly in seventh grade. I tried looking for it online just now and couldn’t find it, but it’s out there alive, I know it. The parallels keep going: did anyone see that Perfect Tide’s developer/writer came back to the SA Forums to answer a few questions about the game…in which Mara posts on an online forum that loses popularity but the surviving users age out of their edgy teen angst? Sounds familiar. And best of all, there’s a Perfect Tides 2 coming out in the near future! Where Maria moves to New York City after high school…just like I did all these years ago. Huh.

With this much glowing praise, I do need to caution that the game remains an old school Point-n-Click adventure. You will often feel lost, confused about next steps, surprised that a puzzle exists, and if a certain need is even answerable by your character. Some next steps are obvious while others, especially the side quests, are frustratingly time sensitive or difficult to parse. It’s annoying to learn about the garden in the Fall and plant seeds, only to see the winter freeze the ground in the next time skip. I played this game with a guide which I feel is the only way to play old school PnCs happily.

Hell yeah Perfect Tides owns

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I bought Perfect Tides after I saw it at the top of a list last year but never got around to it. How does it play on Steam Deck?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Jordan7hm posted:

This was so cool to watch. Couldn’t happen to more deserving guys either. I bought a copy despite knowing I’m not in my 20s anymore and my ability to devote hours to DF is just nonexistent, but it was payment for the huge numbers of hours I dumped into it 15 years ago. Probably the release of the year for me even if it’s not my personal game of the year.
yeah even if you never wind up playing it I really strongly recommend anyone who can afford it to either buy the game or chip into their patreon. There's nary been a more deserving pair of developers than the Adams brothers, and their work has directly inspired some of the most influential games and developers of all time, chief among them being Minecraft. And if you DO eventually try it out, it's one of the most insanely detailed world simulators that exists.

it is also worth noting that just a scant few days ago, they announced Adventure Mode for Steam DF, coming in 2024. So if you don't want to build a fortress in the most complicated simulation game ever made, you can instead personally explore the ENTIRE WORLD of the most complicated simulation game ever made, step by step. You can also first build a fortress, retire it once you're done with it, then GO FIND IT in the world as an adventurer.

I like how the trailer for it shows this by first having you recruit a giant shirtless hippo-man wrestler as a companion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fz1e5y4Ipzc&hd=1

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Jordan7hm posted:

I didn't play DF this year, but I've played enough DF to completely agree. It's an amazing game and they deserve every dime. I was happy to buy it, and would do so again for whatever comes next.

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!

welcome posted:

1) La-Mulana (Xbox)
Sure, the hitboxes can be frustrating (gently caress you, giant fish), and some of the traps are overly cruel, but I spent drat near a month solid either playing this or thinking about it, and I'm sad that I can't go back and play it again for the first time, but glad because now I can play the sequel. What a game!

Great game, kinda wish I replayed it so it could be on my list too! Amazing soundtrack as well.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

I bought Perfect Tides after I saw it at the top of a list last year but never got around to it. How does it play on Steam Deck?

That was my list but I don't know how it plays on Steam Deck as I don't have one.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

its gonna be Rogue Trader

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

I wanted to get into this last year, but I procrastinated too much. This time I spent the last couple days working on this list, most of the entries with a song that stood out to me from each game's soundtrack that I hope people like; I don't go too much into the story both because I hope people get encouraged to try them without being spoiled at all, and because that's not usually my priority for enjoying a game as much as vibes and immersion.

10) Gravity Circuit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y02v6afxSHc

Hours: 25

I'm glad I lurked in the Megaman thread, because otherwise I've not heard a single thing about this one. I'd loved the X and Zero games but found them less responsive on newer consoles, and this definitely scratched my itch. Between precise (almost too precise for me sometimes) movement, a variety of flashy playstyles to tear through levels with, tense boss fights and a soundtrack that hearkens back to the Blue Bomber's various OSTs while still having its own identity, I was entertained enough to go through the game two more times in NG+. The plot is about as minimal as you'd expect from an early MMX game, but there's still a bit of meat to the characters. Just a bit, though.

Each stage has its own gimmick, of course; be it messing with blue/red square toggles to create different platforms or watching out for electrified surfaces, you'll be on your toes for your first run but nothing wears out its welcome or feels unfair. Every stage has little detours that you've gotta look out for if you want to rescue all the survivors and build up your repetoire of skills (they added loadouts a few months ago so experimenting is less painful, too); plenty of them are signposted with cracks or conscpicuous placement, but I had to look up a couple during end-game cleanup.

My only complaint is that it wasn't longer.

9) Final Fantasy Theatrhythm: Final Bar Line

Hours: 125

I've only played a small amount of FF games (7. 14, SOP, CC), but that didn't stop me from enjoying almost every song in this collection. It's even got me interested in grabbing the Pixel Remasters down the line. The real charm of the game for me was messing around with the RPG mechanics, finding the right setups so that I could get challenges like using 10 or more skills before the song ended. Some of them took me quite a few tries to be able to kill the boss before the song ended, and it was always cathartic to finally pull it off. I did find myself wishing that more songs got to play out to completion, like Answers and Oblivion from FFXIV.

I mostly played on the lowest difficulty with the intention to run through all the songs again on the next tier, but I'd finally found a song I couldn't perfect chain (Battle at the Big Bridge, anyone who played knows exactly which version I mean) so I just gave up and went to the second tier, which was enough of a difficulty jump to get me hooked for a few more hours.

8) Anodyne

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Z4FPUC-QzE

Hours: 9

This was an unexpected little gem; I'd only heard a little bit about it before checking it out on PS Extra and I ended up playing it to credits in the span of about two days. I feel like talking about it too much might dull the experience for a new player, so I'll keep this shorter. If I had to compare it to other games, it felt like a mixture of Link's Awakening and Tunic, a dream-like experience with low-stakes combat that encourages exploring every inch of the map. You're not given much direction by the game, but I only struggled to find a way forward once.

I adored the soundtrack and I'm always a sucker for 2D graphics in games, so it all came together for an experience that felt comforting and nostalgic despite how disturbing the game could get

7) Nexomon Extinction

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gghk5QTfkHk

Hours: 55

I grabbed the first game and this one early in the year since they were 15 bucks together and I was curious why someone on my friend list was playing it for the past couple weeks; I admit I had low expectations from the screenshots in the store but the first game was surprisingly pleasant for a port of an obvious mobile game. This post isn't about that, though.

Starting up Extinction, I was expecting more of the same but from the very beginning it's obvious that it's a more ambitious game. While the first game had characters and moments I really liked, there's much more depth to the setting and characters in the sequel. For a basic summary, the humans of the world are at war with 'Tyrant' Nexomon, the legendary-Pokemon equivalent. While it's believed that all Nexomon are inherently evil, skilled Tamers can still bond with and fight alongside them; it's a war of attrition, though, and rising tensions lead to drastic measures...But there's hope in the form of an orphan and their Tyrant egg.

The first thing, aside from a decent roster of player character sprites, that impressed me was just how open the world is from the beginning. You can go around to quite a few biomes (each beautifully designed with charming atmospheric music, I was smitten from the start with the first area's song linked up there) and build up your Dex to over 200 mons before even going to the first main quest city, though you'll still be blocked off in places due to lacking certain upgrades. There's level scaling that goes off of your current party, though there's still a main-story cap that gradually increases so it's not as bad as I thought at first, and you can modify certain aspects of the game to make it easier or harder.

Combat isn't a braindead cakewalk anymore, with the addition of forgeable equippable bonuses and not starting first every fight.
I liked that boss fights against legendary-type monsters had much higher stats than they have once you obtain them as opposed to the anti-climax you'd get for most Pokemon games.

While it does 'reward' playing the first game with little fun callbacks, the story still stands on its own as a distant future to the first game's world; I enjoyed the characters, especially the sidekick, and there's plenty of fourth-wall breaking humor but I actually found it amusing. I won't go into spoilers but I thought the final boss sequence was a fantastic payoff for a decently-sized campaign. The (free) expansion was fairly challenging, and adds a great QoL in the form of being able to bait specific mons you've seen to fill out your dex.
I'm day one on the third game whenever it comes out.

6) Slay the Spire

Hours: 95 and counting

I tried this after browsing Extra for a game I could play in short bursts. I can't really think of too much to say for this one, but I sure didn't think I'd find another game that'd have me going "just one more run" for hours on end like Hades. I've certainly lost more runs than I've won with this roguelike card battler, but never felt deterred because I almost always learned something new about how to deckbuild and play. I've played with the main three characters, each of them having their own fun playstyles, and it's honestly hard picking one each run.

5) Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lHKzfOGYvg

Hours: 25, 38 with NG+

It's a name I've seen countless times in the Metroidvania thread but I never actually looked into it until I saw it in the Extra catalog. One of those rare games I was sold on just from fighting my first enemy. With a variety of weapons and spells to mix around, I found myself trying new attacks every time I picked them up. While I never really found the game challenging, I didn't once feel bored during my playthrough. It has some fun spins on the usual Metroidvania movement conventions, the "flight" mechanic being my absolute favorite in the genre.

You play as the recently awoken Shardbinder Miriam, using the powers of defeated monsters sealed in crystals to fight and traverse. Demons have been let loose on the planet, with a strange, accursed castle as the setting you persevere through in the hopes of quelling the invasion.

There's a lot I liked packed in here; upgrading your shards allowed for plenty of powerful setups, getting passive shards maxed out made them permanent (as well as stackable with another version of that shard if you wanted), the crafting system kept me enjoying the grind. It delivers on the feeling of getting stronger over time. I put it down after my first run, but I redownloaded it a couple days after and blitzed through NG+ because I enjoyed it so drat much.

Plus you can get shoes that squeak with every step.

4) Monster Sanctuary

https://youtu.be/PULC-H7WK44

Hours: Steam, 49. PS5, 40

I've played a few mon games this year, but it's hard to beat a mix of turn-based mons and Metroidvania for my tastes. You play the role of an Ancestral Keeper starting their journey, from one of four bloodlines connected to unique monster familiars; each of the four stands out in their own way, though I chose the Phoenix because resurrection is always handy to have. Unlike Extinction, story isn't a focus but that's not why I play games of these genres.

Your battles are usually done in 3v3 format, for a total of six monsters; Keeper battles are much harder than normal fights but they're also relatively rare, and they encourage you to try out different team gimmicks. On the other side there are "Champion" monsters, where it's your team against a super strong single monster, and you get ranked based on how those battles play out with an egg as the 5* reward (you can redo these after fighting them).

Each monster has its own skill tree, with three to four branches/schools to customize with; resetting spent points isn't too much of a hassle, either. I favored an early game setup that applied chill and burn debuffs while shielding at the same time, but swapped to buff stealing/removal as a backup eventually. Inserting new monsters into your party is super easy, provided you get an egg from battling; the monsters hatch at your highest level. Excess eggs can be donated for rewards, giving a bit more incentive to grind out if that entices.

Exploration relies on your monster roster; even if it's not on your team, you can swap them out for their abilities, be it double jumping, breaking barriers, swimming and so on. There's secret rooms, of course, some much less obvious than others, and sometimes you'll need specific monster abilities from later on to access them. The built-in randomizer mode also accounts for this, so that you're never left in an unwinnable situation where you don't have any double jumpers available before you need them to progress further. Speaking of the randomizer, my ps5 run was done as such and it really is well done in terms of being fully 100%able; tracking down the last couple mons through process of elimination was actually fun for me.

I wouldn't have gotten it on Steam if I'd known it was on ps4/5, but I absolutely don't regret doing it all twice.

3) Ys VIII ~Lacrimosa of Dana~

https://youtu.be/KS8eFdNRB04

Hours: 74

I'd heard Ys VIII described as a stellar RPG from multiple people, and seeing it was free when I picked up Extra, I figured it wouldn't hurt to try. What I walked away from was one of the most emotionally moving games I've ever experienced. Just listening to the OST trying to find a fitting song for this has me nostalgic.

Your character is Adol, a self-described adventurer; working a side gig helping around on a large ship with your best friend, you find yourself stranded on an unknown island, scattered off from everyone else aboard. After some searching, you find an ally and start setting up a home base with the mission of tracking down every castaway and getting off the island. But there's much more to this place than anyone realizes, and Adol begins having dreams of a woman from a time long past...

As an action RPG in the vein of a Tales game, you run around various areas with a setup of four special moves. All share an MP bar, each with their own practical uses, and you unlock more through leveling up and exploring the island. There's various forms of Adventure Gear you acquire over time to give a Metroidvania kind of progression, letting you explore past swampy waters and submerged areas that you couldn't before, for instance.

(I didn't have any pics saved for this so I pulled this one off a search)

I found the visuals beautiful, and I found myself stopping to enjoy each new area as I stumbled across it, soaking the music and vibes in.
This game's soundtrack blew me away from the first area; I didn't want to link it because it was such a powerful feeling hearing it
for the first time and I hope this post inspires at least one person to try the game just to experience it. I won't go into too much detail but I choked up a few times in the late game. To paraphrase a youtube comment I'd seen about this game, it was one of those games that reminded me why I loved video games.

2) My Time at Sandrock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nG4Xgj9y0Vw

Hours: 74 and counting

Life sim games are very hit or miss for me. For the first few hours after buying and playing this, I was uncertain. Especially with a desert biome, which tend to be my least preferred. But there's reasons why I'm not finished this game and still ranked it so highly. I didn't want to include games I haven't finished, but there's no way I'm rushing the rest of this game just to gush over it before the new year starts.

I really can't get over how this game's won me over. Over the hours I've played so far I've watched both the town and the people slowly growing, with some changes being so drastic they completely destroy my former opinion of that character. It's a slow burn game as these tend to be, but I never felt like it dragged out and there's actually a lot to do in any given day; mining, gathering, farming, fighting monsters for parts are just the core options of an average day, there's no wasted time as you build your home and help restore a dying town.

Some days have special events going on, from a blimp dropping gifts that you have to grab before other townsfolk, to a sparring tournament, to playing hide and seek on post-apocolypse Halloween.

Speaking of time, this game has so much QoL! You can adjust how fast the time goes, from 0.6 to 3x. Though I can't imagine anyone playing the whole game on 3x, it seems mostly handy for having your queues go faster without going to sleep too early. You can access your stored items from anywhere, which is a HUGE positive for a game like this. There's skill trees that make things much smoother all around over time, too.

I admit I didn't really feel much for these characters at first, but boy did all of them grow on me, even the ones I despised. Mi-an, Sandrock's other new Builder, in particular is awesome for this kind of game; you can see her running all around Sandrock throughout the day to mine and gather her own stuff, it's just endearing! There's a nice variety of romanceable characters too, though I'm too much of a wuss to pursue more than one.

The main story goes surprisingly long, and I've found myself looking fondly at all the ways it's changed the map over time. I've even found myself feeling warm and fuzzy at recent stuff like (Spring) the first rain despite my jaded mood recently. I went through some rough times around when I bought this game, and it really has helped me work through it. I have absolutely no idea what to expect next from this game, but one thing's for sure.

I'll never forget my time with this game.

1) Octopath Traveler II

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUwBycmXypI

Hours: 88

Just looking at my avatar should be enough to show how much this game meant to me. I love turn-based, I love pixel/sprite-based games, and I love a good fantasy world. I made it to the city when I tried Throne's story in the demo before stopping and pre-ordering; the combat, cutscenes, vibes from hearing the night BGM of New Delsta and the visuals combined were all I needed. It's been nine months since I played it and I still think about this game.

Every character sets out on their path with a concrete goal; kinship, hope, revenge, memory...Through either chance or fate, they stumble across other travelers whose stories are connected in rather odd ways in the larger scheme of things. I wish I could have seen more party interactions because all the little banters they had going were fun! I couldn't pick a favorite or least favorite protagonist if I tried; some stories are lower-stakes than others (village girl wants to bring hope and smiles to everyone with dancing vs. a bloody, patricidal quest for freedom), some have better writing than others, but I really did enjoy every storyline despite the occassional flaw.

Every character's got their own leitmotif going, with variations for pre-boss fights and finishing their stories. Each one captures their personality so expertly, like Osvald's vengeful, quiet anger. I found the town and locale themes enrapturing as well, with day and night variations that you can seamlessly change between without missing a beat. My favorite thing about finding a new city were looking at all the NPC bios; every character you can interact with has their own little flavor text, giving the world life in a fun way!

I liked seeing discussion for this game in regards to combat; I saw a lot of build ideas I didn't even consider, and being able to break the system in so many ways is really cool for a turn-based RPG. It especially shines through with the superboss. I'm going to try different things for sure on my next playthrough, whenever I want to sink another 70 or so hours in.

It just can't be said enough that it's been a great year for games; there were a few others that didn't make my cut (SF6, BG3, SM2, FF16, Cassette Beasts) but all had aspects I liked, and posters who cherished those games can sell them on new players better than I ever could. I can't wait to see what the rest of this thread brings, I love seeing what people love about games. Games are loving great.

FireWorksWell fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Dec 5, 2023

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Aipsh posted:

I haven't finished two three palm-smash slam dunks of my top 10 yet so you'll all have to wait.

In the meantime, laughing and hollering at the lack of FFXVI. Clive-a-dead on arrival baybeee

me charging up my megaflare off-screen

I have a few games I want to finish first before I post my final list, hopefully can get it done in two weeks or so.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

No one owns a ps5

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

FireWorksWell posted:

4) Monster Sanctuary

Hell yeah! This would've absolutely been on my 2022 list if I'd bothered to make one, another v strategically deep monster battler that integrates with the metroidvania aspect way better than it has any right to. Very excited for their next release!

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

woke kaczynski posted:

Hell yeah! This would've absolutely been on my 2022 list if I'd bothered to make one, another v strategically deep monster battler that integrates with the metroidvania aspect way better than it has any right to. Very excited for their next release!

Oh I didn't even know about that, Aethermancer looks like a lot of fun! Thanks for the heads up.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

FireWorksWell posted:

It just can't be said enough that it's been a great year for games; there were a few others that didn't make my cut (SF6, BG3, SM2, FF16, Cassette Beasts) but all had aspects I liked, and posters who cherished those games can sell them on new players better than I ever could. I can't wait to see what the rest of this thread brings, I love seeing what people love about games. Games are loving great.

yeah! looking forward to picking up Octopath 2 this month. it just came out at a time when I had other games to do

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Yeah, going off how you felt about 1 you're really in for a treat.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Rarity has betrayed us... she has absconded from her sacred duties... woe! Woe, rack and ruin, alas and alack for the world is fallen!

I've got the list of potentials for this mostly finished (Couple of things I've yet to play that I would like to though, so not ready to begin the Winnowing just yet) but drat I'm not sure how I'm gonna decide on the order.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Ms Adequate posted:

Rarity has betrayed us... she has absconded from her sacred duties... woe! Woe, rack and ruin, alas and alack for the world is fallen!

I've got the list of potentials for this mostly finished (Couple of things I've yet to play that I would like to though, so not ready to begin the Winnowing just yet) but drat I'm not sure how I'm gonna decide on the order.

I think there was a tool someone linked last year where you enter a list and then it keeps presenting to options and makes you choose which is better until it's finished ordering the list for you.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Here's the tool

RANKING ENGINE: https://www.pubmeeple.com/ranking-engine

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I didn't play many games this year, but I do have 5.

5. Dead Island 2- A flawed but ultimately good and fun game. The gore system they built for it is very unique. The combat is weighty. The fallen LA has a lot of interesting set pieces.
4. Arkham Knight- A ok game, but I'm a batman homer.
3. Final Fantasy 16- Game is fun and big kaiju battles are great.
2. Dysmantle- This is a chill game about dismantling an entire island while trying to escape it. I think it unlocked my latent OCD.
1. Fortnite- i would have placed this game 2nd or 3rd this year, but Epic pulled out a strong finish these last 4 and a half months. Chapter 4 was a bit controversial this year, but I think I liked it overall. Seasons 1 and 2 were solid. Season 3 was not very good. Season 4 with the heist and fortnitemares was peak. Then epic did the OG season and peaked harder. Now Chapter 5 has launched with what is possibly the best map they have ever created. It is gorgeous. A lot of the weapons from the start of the year til now have been fun. The various mechanics they have introduced have kept the game fresh. Plus they finally added Peter Griffen.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mr Hootington posted:

I didn't play many games this year, but I do have 5.

5. Dead Island 2- A flawed but ultimately good and fun game. The gore system they built for it is very unique. The combat is weighty. The fallen LA has a lot of interesting set pieces.
4. Arkham Knight- A ok game, but I'm a batman homer.
3. Final Fantasy 16- Game is fun and big kaiju battles are great.
2. Dysmantle- This is a chill game about dismantling an entire island while trying to escape it. I think it unlocked my latent OCD.
1. Fortnite- i would have placed this game 2nd or 3rd this year, but Epic pulled out a strong finish these last 4 and a half months. Chapter 4 was a bit controversial this year, but I think I liked it overall. Seasons 1 and 2 were solid. Season 3 was not very good. Season 4 with the heist and fortnitemares was peak. Then epic did the OG season and peaked harder. Now Chapter 5 has launched with what is possibly the best map they have ever created. It is gorgeous. A lot of the weapons from the start of the year til now have been fun. The various mechanics they have introduced have kept the game fresh. Plus they finally added Peter Griffen.

This bit stopped being funny a long time ago, but I must admit I cracked a smile at this post

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Escobarbarian posted:

This bit stopped being funny a long time ago, but I must admit I cracked a smile at this post

What bit?

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Got into this from last year's Year of the Game thread, but sure I'll try and throw some stuff in for Game of the Year instead.

Absolutely no illusions held that any of these is going to win, as expected from the taste of someone who spent 1/6 of the year playing Palia and clicker games. Really, this is more dumping my personal retrospective for the year than anything else.

Honorable Mentions

Aka, "I realized that I had more than ten games, but still wanted to include these guys in somewhere." Main defining features are shortness and not having some relation to 2023 itself.

Meltdown is a cover arcade shooter with an excuse plot about defeating out of control robots, that only exists to lead you into the game. But it's extremely well built, comes with a wide variety of enemy robots and weapon builds with which to take them on, and going into bullet time as you leap over obstacles is always amusing. After playing it on-again off-again for a while, managed to finally beat and 100% Meltdown this year, which is going to be a theme going forward. Funny enough, for all the new games that came out this year, 2023 was really more of a spring cleaning year for me than anything else.

I'm sorry, Ineffiable and Kull the Conqueror! I really did like Sayonara Wild Hearts, but I was also kind of bad at it, so I just settled for clearing the game, which took about an hour and a half. It's a wonderful little experience, but you also have to really vibe with it to be more than a passing fancy, and sadly I did not.

So I played a decent amount of modded Minecraft this year. But the mod in question was a big complicated mess that hasn't been updated in several years. Honestly, this and the number 10 on my formal list could be swapped out pretty interchangeably, but Minecraft will be here as a dark horse contender forever, and I'd rather save putting it on a list for a year where it felt like it deserved the placement more. Did manage to beat the Ender Dragon though, which I've never done before. So props to that.

Edit from the Future: Balatro is probably gonna be one of my games of 2024, but no matter how much time I've already sank into this addictive poker roguelike, I just can't bear to give a full game of the year spot to a demo.

Top 10 Games of the Year

10) Putting Eco here feels like cheating, as it's basically a Minecraft mod that managed to hit escape velocity and break free of its parent game. The only thing that drags it ahead is the promise of the big 10.0 update in a little over a week, which promises a ton of content after the rest of the year was spent mostly focusing on performance updates. But as a continuation from 2022, it's the game I always find myself returning to when I'm not in the mood for anything else. Like Minecraft and Meltdown, also managed to finally force myself to reach the endgame (blowing up the meteor) after spending the last couple of years screwing around.

Edit from the Future: 10.0 did change the game significantly, and in theory I like the changes, although in practice it feels like the game has only exacerbated the necessity of having a lot of players, most of whom ought to be stacked on top of one another in a single town with the exception of the iron miners.

9) I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing in Apollyon: River of Life, and that's part of the charm. It's an RPG where you're constantly rotating the board to alter planar influence in the hopes of modifying card selections as well as triggering a bunch of other miscellaneous effects. Then you go and resolve whatever the cards say as measured by RNG, choice selection, and tests against your various attributes. You can tell death to screw off with the right set of equipment and banishing the influence of the negative energy plane for a round! There is also multiplayer, which I must imagine makes Apollyon even more of a mess as people just slap the board around like idiots, until everyone fails physical tests against The Horrors two turns in a row and dies. I feel like once you fully understand what's going on here, the game is functionally (although not perfectly) solved, but Apollyon is about the journey towards acquiring knowledge regarding its world and systems more than the destination. And what a magical one it is at that.

8) I'm pretty sure I mentioned Waves of Steel elsewhere as a "goon-made arcade cavalcade of naval destruction", and I stand by that statement. Fans of truly accurate naval simulators had better get out of the way, before my giant surfboard stacked with 20 missile launchers and blasting off at 140 knots bowls them over while I fight this air-train boss that lays down its own railroad tracks in the sky. Everyone else, welcome aboard! ...Okay fine, the naval folks can come back and mess around with the ship designer if they want to min-max the carnage, this is an all-inclusive fleet, after all. The one downside that the game has is that there isn't really much to do outside of its 10-ish hour campaign and a few bonus missions, but it's a blast while it lasts.

7) Although I have personally grown tired of Yi Xian: The Cultivation Card Game, I cannot deny that it's a very well designed card-based autobattler that provided me with a lot of high-flying challenges this year. Even now, I still think that making the main game mode an 8-man round robin where your goal is as much based on surviving a wide variety of matchups as it is outright crushing your opponents is an interesting choice. Can lead to some satisfying stories where you were getting clowned on by everyone, until one amazing turn let you ramp back up to win the match or at least get back into the winners' circle. And of course, can't forget about the PvE dungeon, puzzle and story modes, and frequent gimmick events too. Against all odds, still has 1-2 fanatically obsessed fans here on the forums, who would absolutely name it their GOTY. Planning on going F2P at the beginning of next year, which is an interesting choice, although it seems like they're banking on people buying cosmetics as the main revenue source anyway.

6) I played a bunch of Survivors games in the middle of the year, and so they form the middle of my list. Brotato is the least power-trippy, because you can only increase in power so much from metaprogression, but that just makes victory against the endless hordes of aliens all the more satisfying. Funnily enough, for everything except the big V, what I value the most in these games is diversity of play, and like the spud which inspires it, Brotato is endlessly nourishing on this front. You've got your classic murder-machines, dodge-tanks, boss-killers, money-makers, turret-constructors, multi-weapon builds, single-weapon builds, even a dedicated pacifist. Some of these are more viable than others, especially on higher difficulty levels, but it's definitely possible to win with them all, which makes the replayability on Brotato absolutely astounding.

Edit from the Future: The Brotato dev just announced that there's going to be more mods and DLC coming up for the game in 2024. Guess a Survivors dev is never truly done with the game after all!

5) Boner. Alright, there, I got my obligatory quota out of the way when talking about Boneraiser Minions, now let's discuss the game. While I still think that Brotato has more playstyle diversity within its particular framework, Boneraiser Minions is the much more interesting game from a genre-wide perspective, because for nearly all of the classes you aren't controlling your damage output directly. That's what the eponymous minions are for. This lack of control, combined with the game's difficult graphical design and blatantly puerile humor makes Boneraiser Minions a lot more of a challenge to get into than other Survivors games. But if you can manage to get past all that and figure out how the game works, then you'll find that there's a lot of content to reward a sufficiently dedicated player. As a measure of that and its ranking, was prouder of having managed to complete NGF+2 here than my Danger 5 win on Brotato.

From here on out, I'll be mentioning my favorite track from each game, and for Boneraiser that has to be The Hero Approaches. A valiant track that, unless you're like me and have it set as your default base music, will be most familiar to players as the music that shows up alongside the Paladins and Royal Guards, marking the last hectic stretch of the game before the final boss arrives.

4) Well, obviously I wasn't going to post those other Survivors without mentioning Vampire Survivors, duh. The king of the genre is here for a reason. Others have done a lot of interesting and nuanced things with it, but you're here to see the screen explode with sixty-three thousand particle effects and watch numbers going up and nobody does that better than Vampire Survivors. I bought it last year, picked at it for a bit, and then became fanatically obsessed with it in 2023. And of course, even moreso than caiys (the Boneraiser Minions dev), Luca Galante and poncle will just not stop updating the thing. In addition to DLC and updates already released this year like Tides of Foscari and Co-Op, we're getting Adventure Mode on the 6th, for crying out loud! Truly no better time to be a Vampire Survivors fan than 2023!

Edit from the Future: Oh, and apparently poncle decided to drop an additional Among Us Collab DLC on the 18th, just before the year ends. Seems sus, but it's only $2.49, so why not.

While the entire Vampire Survivors soundtrack is stunning, my favorite has to be I'm Every Reaper, the B-side track to Capella Magna. A baroque harpsichord start leading to hard rock/metal, which perfectly reflects on the defiled purity of the chapel around you.

3) Tale of Immortal is the perfect embodiment of a xianxia game. I've gotten distracted by other things this year and so have played it a lot less than I would like, and it does have the downside of being very, very grindy and often frustrating. This... isn't really selling Tale of Immortal very well, I know. But man, oh man, if you're the sort of person who's spent hours upon hours reading thousand chapter long webnovels, or played tons of janky kung fu MMOs in the late 00s and early 10s, your soul already belongs to this game in part, and it will eat your life if you let it.

Fitting my inability to describe this game, like the true Dao, the best song I have for it is the mysterious main menu theme. What lurks beyond? You'll just have to dive in to find out.

2) The only game on this list actually released in 2023. Not "came out of early access" or "got a bunch of content updates", but honest to goodness released in 2023. Wandering Sword is a wonderful RPG that, if still a little bit janky, is much less so than Tale of Immortal and can either be a breezy 20 hour experience or a high double digit meander throughout an expansive world. You get to make friends with people, then beat them up and steal their kung fu techniques and teapots. It's the perfect wuxia game, and the devs are committed to making it even better over the course of the next year. I do worry that with the year being so packed and Wandering Sword's plot being a little formulaic, it's likely to be forgotten about altogether though.

Cheating a little bit by posting a violin cover of the battle theme, but this is pretty much on point to what it sounds like. Very stirring, a clear sign that you have entered the world of the Jianghu and best be prepared to perform deeds of martial valor!

1) Has Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition had a good year? Ehhh... Return of Rome was pretty much a complete non-entity of a DLC unless you love the Romans as a civilization and The Mountain Lords is sort of middling even without considering worries of DLC price hikes going forwards. But it's certainly been my game of the year. Even if some campaigns are more fun than others, on the whole it has been a positive experience going through entirety of the thing and the final mission of the Bari campaign was probably the single most emotionally engaging experience I've had with gaming all year:

I was an incredible failure who abandoned the city that I was sworn to protect. I was just doing my duty to the Catepan that I had sworn to serve. Bari was left to stand on its own. Bari rose up to take its defense into its own hands. Nothing I did mattered, until the final charge of Cataphracts to repulse the Normans and save the day. Everything I did mattered, until the final departure to seek help from the Byzantines, after which the siege was lost.

For everyone else, AoEII's year should really be next year. That's the 25th anniversary, and maybe Forgotten Empires will do something really big for it that everyone can acknowledge, like reworking the Chinese into multiple civilizations or one of the many other projects floating around the rumor mill. And I'm only halfway through the campaigns by pure numbers, with the best supposedly yet to come, so I could probably wait and see. But if I wasn't moved enough to fight on its behalf by now, when would I ever be?

As it has always been, the best representation of Age of Empires II is its main theme. I've picked the medley version/extended mix that combines the best of what's old with features of the new elements that the game has acquired over the years.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jan 1, 2024

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Honorable Mentions:
Moonring
This free game is an Ultima-like with psychedelic coloring. Was I drawn to psychedelic coloring this year, or did this just became a popular style this year?

Cocoon
This is a puzzle game about jumping in and out of different worlds. The puzzles in the game are good, but after completing Patrick's Parabox, I sort of spent the entire game waiting to get to the 85% point. (When you beat the game it shows you a timeline of all the puzzles and let's you jump back, that's how I know it was exactly 85%)

Shadows of Loathing
It's an rpg by the people who made Kingdom of Loathing. You should know whether you want to buy it now, I don't need to say more.

Persona 5 Tactica
The art is super cute, and fits the game well. The one more system just didn't feel as good as I was hoping, since you usually have to setup a down, and flanking targets in cover doesn't work like I expected.

Stray
I believe we have the technology to improve our cat simulations, but this is a noble start.

Final Fantasy XVI
My biggest problem with the plot of this game is that you start in a Game of Thrones world and then you personally murder most of the interesting characters. Also, I'm really bad at character action games.

Dungeon Encounters
If you watch the trailer for this game you will know if you are in the audience for this game. I am. I beat it for the third time this year.
Do you want to play a game where the main goal of the game is to step on every tile in the game? Do you want to play a game where if you have 700 gold, and the ememy steal 1000 gold from you, you have -300 gold? Do you want to play a game where one of your powers is to jump across the map like a chess knight? Dungeon Encounters.

10) Chants of Sennaar
Chants of Sennaar is a game about understanding. This is a game where you deduce a series of word based languages based on interacting with written runes and the people who speak the languages. I found the bright colors in the art really distinct and appealing, and the conlang puzzles were great, but I thought some of the other puzzles were a bit weak. Fortunately, the respawn is really generous in the stealth sections.

9) [Metro] Quester
Quester, or Metro Quester depending on whether the author had realized that "Quester" is way too generic a name when he released the game on your platform, is a game about how you use the tools you have at the moment.
This is a top down survival dungeon crawling game where you dig your way through Tokyo metro underground looking for treasures from before the world was destroyed. The completely bonkers art style combines top down nearly monochrome sprite based dungeon crawling, with character art jpgs and photographs of camera drones? The turn based combat has you choosing between character abilities and abilities attached to your weapons, which range between guns or drones, to vacuum cleaners that have been juryrigged into flamethrowers or spears that have medical syringes attached to the end. It's easy to say that I have never played a game like this before.

8) Bloodborne
Bloodborne is a game about how the real monster is man... I don't have to explain Bloodborne to you.
Anyway, I decided to use Bloodborne as a de-stress game late this year, and I ended up beating queen Yharnam while doing so, so I just decided to platinum it because nothing was going to be as hard as beating Defiled Chalice Amygdala.

7) Advance Wars 1 + 2: Reboot Camp
Advance Wars is a game about, well, the plot of Advance Wars isn't very meaningful. Advance Wars is a game about smashing toy tanks together.
Really a classic of the strategy genre, it relies strongly on the painstakingly balanced units, because I certainly forgot how much bullshit was in these campaigns. Anyway, WayForward's art style to revamp this one is great, if you can handle the 3Dification of the units. Versus mode, aka the real game, is as good as ever, and the design room is ever so slightly better than the originals.

6) Armored Core 6: Fires of Rubicon
Armored Core 6 is also a game about smashing toy tanks, but this time while piloting a giant robot.
I'm very bad at shootmans, so I appreciate that this game aims for you, so I can concentrate on moving and when to pull the trigger. It is impossible to describe how good it feels to plow through a stack of cargo containers with an 18 foot roller skating robot. I love the intricacies of putting different parts together to make your robot move and fight better for different missions.

5) The Roottrees are Dead
The Rootrees are Dead, I'm sorry, did you mean to spell that Roottrees? The Roottrees are Dead is a game about family.
Since 2018 I have been seeking deduction games like The Return of the Obra Dinn. This one is about using online resources to piece together a family tree, it uses a lot of the same solution structure as Obra Dinn, but I found it to be considerably more straight forward than the Case of the Golden Idol because you are able to use a text based interegation method. The style evokes the setting very well.

4) Hitman: world of Assassination
World of Assassination is a game about finding the funniest way to kill someone. I've praised this series in the past for being the perfect systemic stealth puzzle, and now they have expanded into a version where nearly any NPC could randomly be chosen as your target. Previously one of my favorite features was the story system where you could play out a specific plot to kill a target, but if you have reached a certain level of competence with the system being forced to improvise your assassinations on the fly can be even more of a delight.

3) Super Mario Bros Wonder
Super Mario Bros Wonder is a game about, get this, wonder. The 2d Mario design team took all of the most popular level styles from Mario Maker and pushed them way beyond anything that could be made with that toolset. They added powerups that were even more enjoyable than average and enemies different than anything seen before. They overhauled all of the animations filling the world with style. And then the dumped a bucket full of whimsy on top. I haven't even gotten to the implementation of soulslike multiplayer assist elements. Is this the best 2D Mario ever? Well, much like my GOTY list, it's certainly in the Top 3.

morallyobjected posted:

(in retrospect, it's amazing that Nintendo catered to chubby chasers and inflation fetishists with this game)

You can try to kinkshame Nintendo, but you won't succeed.

2) Pikmin 4
Pikmin 4 is a laid back game about efficiency. It doesn't seem like this should be possible, but despite the goal being to do things as fast as you can, you can really take it at the pace you want. It lets you wind the clock back and modify your strategy to puzzles, and there's a lot of choice of items and skills this time. This is my first Pikmin game and I really enjoyed it.

1) The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Tears of the Kingdom is a game about playing with legos. Everything in Breath of the Wild has been taken past it's limits in seemingly impossible ways. Remember how big the world seemed? Now, perhaps as there originally should have been, there are caves. And islands in the sky. And an underworld that is an inverted duplicate of the original map. Remember having to climb for five minutes, and then it started raining? Now you can jump into the floor and pop all the way to the top of the cliff. Remember stopping objects in time? Now you can reverse time. Remember being worried about your weapons breaking? Now they, um, break less. Look, it's an important sub system. You get to reinforce the weapons with materials you get from enemies, which actually incentivizes you to fight now, and the fighting is pretty fun. Remember speeding across the land on your horse? Well gently caress horses.* Now, you can build a flying robot drone you can drive around that blows up your horse with a laser cannon!

*Do not tell the god of horses that I said this.

Helpful short list:
10) Chants of Sennaar
9) [Metro] Quester
8) Bloodborne
7) Advance Wars 1 + 2: Reboot Camp
6) Armored Core 6: Fires of Rubicon
5) The Roottrees are Dead
4) Hitman: world of Assassination
3) Super Mario Bros Wonder
2) Pikmin 4
1) Tears of the Kingdom

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Dec 5, 2023

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

DalaranJ posted:

*Do not tell the god of horses that I said this.

It's too late, now you have to.... make him a nice meal!

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

This year has been... A Lot. Personally. I spent the first half being horribly depressed, in a terrible job situation, stuck living with family that while well-meaning was only making my mental health worse. Then I moved across the country to be with my found family of an online community and room with one of my best friends of many years. And we've just narrowly evaded multiple eviction notices thanks to job situations going real hosed sideways for awhile.

It's been... a loving turbulent nightmare.

To say video games have kept me tethered to some sense of sanity & normalcy is an understatement. Without the distractions I might've lost hope several times over this year through the ups and downs. All that to say that my list is gonna be a bit weird in spots just due to emotional attachments to how they've helped me out this year.

Honorable Mention:

Baldur's Gate 3 - This fucker is so dense everytime I think about playing it I just don't feel like I have the mental energy to commit. The very little I've played though is fantastic and hopefully I can find the time and energy to properly devote to it next year.

Celeste - I spent a few hours playing it but again haven't been able to properly devote the time it deserves. The story beats of learning to be more patient, understanding, and loving with yourself is a message anyone with depression or anxiety can resonate with though and I appreciate the hell out of it for that.

10. Pokemon Trading Card Game Live

Okay this one is maybe cheating slightly. When I moved cross country my friends pulled me into playing the TCG with them. They gifted me a deck they made for me and a bunch of swag to go with it like a deck box, sleeves, storage boxes, a binder, and a bunch of other stuff. I really enjoy playing the game too of course but it's be a significant source of joy in a very nebulous time of my life so it feels... necessary to include it on this list in some form. Thankfully it has a video game client equivalent so I can cheat place this here.

TCG Live is a perfectly serviceable, if barebones, way to play Pokemon TCG. I've found a lot of fun and value out of it by building and playing decks either as a way to test something out before I go about building it physical or just to have fun with stuff I don't have. Also lets me enjoy a round or two with my friends if we get the itch but can't meet up in person.

From here on out I'll be posting my favorite OST song for each entry.

9. Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sp0n2oZupw

What a weird as hell game. Part Nioh. Part Shitpost. Part Surprisingly Sincere Characters (once you get past the Narm). I don't know if it's something I'll ever feel the itch to revisit much or not but I spent my time playing this with a friend and it was a loving blast for the entire ride that way. It's also just a bit of a nostalgia buffet for fans of the whole series, with every level layout being directly inspired by a notable location from other games in the series. The combat and customization mechanics are incredibly robust as well and for people better at games than me who like picking apart these kinds of systems you can concoct some really involved stunts and make the game look absolutely insane. It's a fun ride from start to finish but I absolutely recommend getting a friend or two to play through it with for maximum fun.

8. Ragnarok Online

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TJEtURYBIk

Another real weird entry here I'm sure. "Who the gently caress still plays an isometric MMO from *2002*?" A fair question honestly, sometimes I'm not sure why I'm doing it to myself either. This game holds a ton of nostalgia for me as the actual first MMO I ever played in my childhood. It's got possibly my favorite soundtrack of anything ever (narrowing down to one to feature was impossible). It also still just has some sort of... air about it that nothing else has managed to replicate to me. Just a real unique feel about it's presentation and lore and design.

It's been probably the game I've spent the most time on during all my hardships this year as a big comfort game. It's ancient, clunky, grindy as all hell, obtusive... honestly most people in this day and age who didn't already grow up with it would probably loathe it. But it's a game I'll probably never fully get tired of and it's been a strong sense of comfort in turbulent times so it has earned its spot here for me. In particular I've been enjoying a certain private server that's changed up basically the entire game. I won't post any links or sort because that's probably into some nebulous :files: territory but if anyone here actually does play this old rear end game I recommend looking around for Project Return to Morroc.

7. World of Horror

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQIlKgdOqCg

Bonus Trailer because it's an incredibly well down animation made for the release. BE WARNED: GORE & BODY HORROR HERE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAH4CiNIcaY

This game finally officially released this year! If you haven't been exposed to this game yet imagine if you will a roguelike RPG with heavy inspirations by Junji Ito & HP Lovecraft. An otherworldly cosmic entity is encroaching upon your town. Cultists seem to be running amock, horrific monsters and apparitions are manifesting everywhere, and hope seems in short supply with time even more scarce. It's up to you to solve mysteries happening around your city in order to find leads and stop the rituals summoning a god before it's too late.

All of this is presented in an 8-bit graphical style reminiscent of old PC adventure games. Though don't let that fool you into thinking the game won't be any less unnerving or scary. The creator manages to bring to life some incredibly distressing monster designs and body horror while giving everything that perfect sense of unnerving dread to every encounter. Beyond that horror presentation though is a fun, engaging, and deep roguelike that forces you to work around the misfortunes and curveballs that will come at you constantly. I highly recommend giving this one a look if anything I've attempted to write has intrigued you.

6. Pseudoregalia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Knpr3CnUk3Y

This little gem was a one-person project originally done for a Metroidvania Game Jam and later developed and polished into a full standalone game. While it's only a few hours long it's an incredibly fun experience. It's also only $6US so like it's a goddamn steal.

Anyways this game is a throwback to the N64/PS1 era of games and is a mix of a Metroidvania and a 3D platformer. The most important thing to know about this game though is that it's a goddamn joy to move around in. You get a toolkit that lets you start moving around in crazy and super fluid ways and it's just a joy to navigate around the environment and find new ways to SCHMOOVE. Also legit like the best wall-kick mechanic in any game ever. The whole experience is pretty short but the game is rife with opportunities for sequence breaks and speedrunning if that's your bag. It's real easy to go back and play through it again and again and discover what else you can break.

I guess the other most important thing about this game is that you play a sexy goat-bunny-rabbit-lady with her rear end out. And if that concerns you (coward) there's an option to give her pants.

The soundtrack is also very lovely.

Anyways it's only $6 go get it already what are you waiting for?

5. Final Fantasy XVI
This video contains some light spoilers, though with no context it won't mean much to you probably.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKNV2QvnbaQ

The newest, hottest mainline entry for the every popular Final Fantasy series. It's been somewhat divisive amongst fans but it gets a fairly solid "Pretty great!" from me. I thoroughly enjoyed the game from start to finish and it's a very well-polished fun experience even if nothing quite manages to be Exceptional in any particular regard.

Except the spectacle. This game loving delivers on over-the-top spectacle in spades. Like it's just fun to watch how crazy things can get.

The world and characters are all very lovely, the music is wonderful, the game and world are gorgeous as hell. Combat can be a lot of fun though this game never approaches difficult at all. Still though I had an amazing time with this one from start to finish though and if I had any big complaint it's that the game feels a bit "Safe" in terms of narrative and design. After the rollercoast that was XV though Safe was probably the smart decision for the next mainline game.

4. Super Mario RPG Remake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxaTT86YCng

This is something I never expected to actually happen. And not only did it happen it was incredibly good and well-made?! 2023 really has been a year of all time!

I don't really know what I can say about Super Mario RPG that hasn't already been said a million times over throughout all these years. The remake manages to give it a gorgeous coat of paint, a lovingly rearranged musical score, new mechanics, and new content and it all just feels amazing and cozy to play. The ultimate in comfort food game. If you loved the original game you probably already bought this but if not rest assured it's a loving fantastic remake.

3. Theatrhythm Final Bar Line
I can't just pick one song from the entire loving FF series so have a trailer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EktIGradBI

Would you like a rhythm game of the entire Final Fantasy series that has an obscene amount of songs and content? Good news! Final Bar Line is disgustingly huge and an absolute joy to play. It even has some light RPG mechanics while you jam out and an unlockable infinite mode where you see how long you can keep clearing songs with harder and harder missions. Seriously this game is a blast. I'd wager that if you love rhythm games you'd enjoy it even without any prior Final Fantasy nostalgia or knowledge fueling you. It's real fun y'all!

2. Tears of the Kingdom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFB8UOt01Io

It's Breath of the Wild but with somehow even more content! I still haven't actually completed this one because So Many loving Games have been happening this year but it completely engrossed me for several months. It's scary how much more to explore they managed to cram into Hyrule with this game. It's a joy to just get completely lost and see what you find. Link's new robot hand is also an incredible addition, I was a bit wary of "NOW WITH CRAFTING!" at first but the ability to just throw poo poo together and see what works is actually incredible. Seeing the absolute bullshit many people have come up with is rad as hell. I'm still not sure how they took Breath of the Wild, crammed like 3x as much content into it, and still make it run on the Switch. Absolute wizardry.

1. Octopath Traveler II

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wrdwiR0pCo

God. What a loving game. They improved on every aspect of the first game and delivered a magical experience from start to finish. I love every single playable character. There's not really any story I actively disliked. Even at the worst the stories are enjoyable and a good ride. At their best, oooh boy you're in for a helluva ride. Yasunori Nishiki once again delivers an incredible soundtrack full of both incredible bops and chill vibes. The HD-2D graphical style has been refined to look more gorgeous than ever, with more confidence shown with a much more dynamic camera. The sprite work and animation is incredible. Every aspect of this game has mastery on display in full force.

It's also probably the best JRPG I've played. No seriously. There's a ton of depth to the combat here that I don't see in any other game. The BP system returns from the first game which brings a more dynamic flow in how you choose to act every turn. On top of this is introducing unique character mechanics and limit breaks that make it so that even if you have two characters in the same exact job setup they will still perform vastly differently from each other. The combination of characters and jobs brings a ton of variety in how you approach any particular combat situation and when the game released it was incredibly interesting to see all the different ways people figured out approaching character builds and combat encounters. Even outside of combat you have a ton of ways to interact with the world and the NPCs that live in it. Every part of the world is rich with flavor and lore. The world truly feels full & alive & lived in. Exploring is an incredible treat.

An absolute masterpiece. This year was actually the easiest decision ever for #1 spot for me.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Nice list! I've never even heard of half these games lol!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Thank you for the entries! I love seeing all these things I have not seen before and furiously adding them to my 'to play' lists :)

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Yeah I added Eco to mine because my son loves minecraft. I'm getting him a steam deck for his birthday so that game might be perfect for him down the line.

Also it didn't make my top lists but I'm reminded of stuff I played and loved from this thread. Like the final fantasy rhythm game. Vampire Survivors. I got really into idle slayer on my phone. Just lots of great games

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

One of the things I like about trophies is I can go view my profile on a website and go back in time and figure out what I played/finished between now and last December. Then it's fun just throwing it all (I've played over 100 games but I kept it to a top 50) into ranking engine and see how the sort gets it.

As a fun thing, I 100%/got the platinum for 40 out of 50 games on my list. It's been an amazing year.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

E: ^ Yeah it really did come in handy, most of my gameplay was on ps5. Sometime I could do without on the total playtime, don't need to know I spent 150 hours in star rail already, hahaha.

fridge corn posted:

Nice list! I've never even heard of half these games lol!

Really? Well, I think you'd really love ot2 buddy

Yeah it was difficult to actually figure my top 10 this year but it feels right looking over it. I hope it's even harder next year (aside from #1, I already know mine will be Dragon's Dogma 2)

Sorry it's been a harsh year for you, but it's really comforting to hear that you've got such a reliable friend; good luck!

I'd heard about pseudoregalia but never checked it out, this soundtrack slaps and it does look like a lot of fun, I'm a huge fan of these kinds of games.

Great song choice for ot2 too, I was really considering that one.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I decided I was probably going to try to write something about every one of the games I considered eligible for my list this year and... woof, just wrote 1200 words about my last-place game. Can't imagine I'll get close to that with any of the others but wow.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Arist posted:

I decided I was probably going to try to write something about every one of the games I considered eligible for my list this year and... woof, just wrote 1200 words about my last-place game. Can't imagine I'll get close to that with any of the others but wow.

Do it for every game. How many do you have on the listm

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

I won't be participating this year because 2023 did not leave me much time for gaming, but I think this is one of my favorite threads on the forums and every year I grab a bunch of titles I knew nothing about to add to the inexorably increasing list of great games I haven't played yet! Thanks to everyone taking the time to contribute

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Mr Hootington posted:

Do it for every game. How many do you have on the listm

I only rank games that had some kind of major release or update this year that I played enough of to actually count. There's 25 games that fit that criteria this year.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Arist posted:

I only rank games that had some kind of major release or update this year that I played enough of to actually count. There's 25 games that fit that criteria this year.

Lol yes definitely write 30,000 words for you goty list

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

As long as it's not too stressful on you to write it all out, more words are always nice to read ITT especially if it's a hidden gem kind of game and there's a few weeks left before the deadline. I had to stop myself from rambling too much on my list, and I haven't written that much on one thing since I was in school. Ultimately it felt good when I finished, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

The only hidden gem from my list would be city game studio. I played a lot of Mad Games Tycoon 2 earlier this year and after that tried every single early access game dev simulator I could get my hands on. I refunded them all except this one which I enjoyed so much I have put more hours into it than Mad Games 2. It gets updated very often as well.