Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ColdPie posted:

I don't know the full list off the top of my head so I start with my favorites and then work down from there until I can't think of anything else to add. Boom, list.

I'm putting mine together the same way, I'm just hitting up-arrow a few times after each so they end up in The Right Order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I clearly gotta give Paradise Killer another shot, I think I put it down before the first hour was up before. (I don’t recall why, so good chance it was just ADHD.)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’m not a very good gamer. I’m good at buying gaming equipment and games (I am pretty surprised I didn’t get a Christmas card from Gabe this year), and reading about games and watching things about games, but man when it comes to the aiming and planning and moving parts I suck eggs. Nonetheless, I shall burden this lovely, highlight-of-the-season thread with my opinions about 2023’s gaming.

Honourable mention: Dwarf Fortress, Stack That Paper edition: I of course bought this on Steam to support the incredible devs and opened it up briefly to revel in the new UI, but didn’t get a chance to really play it meaningfully. I hear that there are good Deck bindings for it, but I think I would want to do worldgen on my real PC.

10. En Garde

In addition to Elden Ring (see below) I dabbled in DS and DS3 this year, and after that En Garde was a delightful experience of actually being able to play the game decently. The environmental interactions are fun, the art was nice, and the plot is gleefully light and silly. Short but joyful game.

9. Halls of Torment

I of course got into Vampire Survivors when I got my Steam Deck, but Halls of Torment got its hooks into me deeper. The equipment retrieval mechanic was a nice touch and this game handily took care of some long rides.

8. Elden Ring

Elden Ring was #2 in my list last year, and really opened my eyes to what Soulslike stuff could be even for a player who aspires to be middling. That bled into the first part of this year, and I still mean to go back and finish it, but at this point I’m pretending that it’s not just attention-span issues but rather a principled decision to wait for the DLC. I can still clearly recall some of the boss fights and the first time I descended the river elevator, about a year later. Maybe someday I’ll be brave enough to try Sekiro.

7. Cassette Beasts

I never really got into Pokemon or other collectible sorts of games, but this one really worked for me. Loved the sticker mechanic and building crazy poo poo, and the plot/setting were intriguing enough to keep me going. Was a perfect relax-on-the-cottage-deck game that found me at the perfect time.

6. Caves of Qud

Goon-made, goon-loved. Truly inspired worldbuilding, some of the most hard-working devs in the business, and a wonderfully inclusive Discord community (?!). I haven’t made it past Bethesda Susa, and I don’t think I really fully understand how the action economy works, but every time I pick up an item or talk to an NPC I get another peek at this weird, wonderful world. Really want to spend more time here!

5. Jupiter Hell

This was the first roguelike I really got into, and I really enjoyed the feeling of curated mastery development. Also loved the sound design here. I was never a huge Doom fan, but this does justice to what I remember the aesthetic and vibe to have been.

4. Tears of the Kingdom

I bounced pretty hard off of BotW back in the day, but I’m glad I dug out the Switch for this one. I feel like I have some sort of Ultrahand-related developmental delay, because I see the stuff people build and just cannot imagine it, and the Koroks felt more like obligation than opportunity, but for a casual Zelda fan it hit pretty well. (Underground was a little spooky though!)

3. Baldur’s Gate 3

Baldur’s Gate 3 was everyone’s game this year. It was gaming’s game, pushing past TOTK and utterly shaming Starfield to carry the banner for AAA entertainment artifacts. At Christmas, I spent an hour talking about Act I with cousins, and my therapist and I have discussed the druid bear sex trailer. I’m so happy for Larian to have found this level of success, and I hope they next get to work their magic without the constraints of 5e’s mediocrity. I should probably revisit D:OS2 and see if I get past the first area this time. Someday my wife and I will go back to our MP game, I’m sure.

2. My Time at Sandrock

This game asks so little of me, with basically no way to lose progress or fail, and provides such a pleasant experiential in return. There’s always tomorrow. I’m invested in building this little desert town back up, and earning Amirah’s affection and petting my animals every morning. I don’t even get super antsy any longer if I spend the day on some quest stuff and don’t have a chance to use all my stamina. Playing this alongside my wife’s own playthrough has been a treat too.

1. CP2077: Phantom Liberty

I pre-ordered CP2077 and built a new machine in anticipation, and then upgraded that machine after the first big release slip. I bought the art book. I have a Samurai hoodie. I took 2 days off work for the release, and then rescheduled them when it was moved. I winced in sympathy for the developers (but not the managers) at its poor launch and reception, knowing they must have been so disappointed. I played it in December 2020 but didn’t finish it, and then came back for a new complete playthrough with 1.6 after watching and loving Edgerunners. When 2.0 and Phantom Liberty dropped, I dove back in and when I got to Dogtown I realized that I was finally, finally playing the game that Comte and his thousands of colleagues at CDPR wanted to make. They’ve said that PL is the last big update, and I can understand that they want to focus on their other stuff in development, but getting to experience this in its final form is bittersweet. Imagine if this had been the game they’d released originally, and had been building on for the last 3 years. Imagine!

Anyway, it’s my GOTY because the character arc of V is wonderful but the arc of the game itself is sublime.

Easy mode for VG:

10. En Garde
9. Halls of Torment
8. Elden Ring
7. Cassette Beasts
6. Caves of Qud
5. Jupiter Hell
4. Tears of the Kingdom
3. Baldur’s Gate 3
2. My Time at Sandrock
1. CP2077: Phantom Liberty

E: somehow copied the wrong draft of this and omitted Cassette Beasts!

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Dec 30, 2023

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Megazver posted:

1. My Time at Sandrock
I'm gonna put this on top just because barely any media Game of the Year lists mention it at all and because I think I enjoyed it more than BG3. This is, for my money, the best lifesim currently on the market. Better than Stardew Valley, that's right, you heard me. Better than Portia by a long shot and I'm one of the people who thought Portia was pretty solid. I am genuinely shaking with excitement at the thought of how good the next game in the series is gonna get.

There’s going to be another one? Good heavens I am ready for that, and I haven’t even quite finished Sandrock.

I didn’t play Portia and from what I can tell it will be hard to put up with after Sandrock, so I probably won’t bother.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Also thanks to the goon who informed me about the Pentiment frog sweatshirt, I have acquired one.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Megazver posted:

They had a survey recently where one of the questions was "where would you want the next game to be set?".

https://forms.gle/CWnkJdkrWCQYF9h26

I still think Portia is pretty fun, even if Sandrock is an improvement on it in every way. Try it if you see in a bundle, at least.

Nice! Come on Vega 5!

I think I already own Portia from a bundle but haven’t got around to trying it. More concerned that it’ll be good enough at making number go up, but still unpleasant such that I’m just sort of feeling bleh and obligated the whole time. I might be overthinking it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Pentiment will play fine under Proton if you have a Linux machine, or do the porting-toolkit dance on macOS

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Runa posted:

Yeah, and it's basically just an SNES controller with analog sticks, more shoulder buttons, and better ergonomics. The building blocks were there but Nintendo couldn't see it.

I wonder if they got trapped by feeling that they needed something more different for the new generation. I’ve seen that error wreck a lot of products!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’ll play it when it comes to Steam, which will be shortly after Bloodborne does.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Need that physical release, bub

Yeah, it’s been a long day

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ibblebibble posted:

Pentiment was my GOTY 2022 and I'm glad to see it still get a lot of love.

Exactly this. Ink and quill, friend, ink and quill.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I want to play Slay the Princess before I get spoiled, but now I know that there’s a revised version coming so I want to wait for that. Augh!

Starting to think I might need to try Pizza Tower too…

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Anno posted:

Place-for-place points seem quite a bit higher than last year. I wonder if things were more condensed or just higher turnout than 2022.

Higher turnout for sure, and higher number of games, but I don’t think we’ve seen Wayne or whoever do the distribution math yet.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Arist posted:

didn't get quoted, oh well

FWIW, I loving loved your list

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Waffleman_ posted:

Half of my list made the big countdown which is

more than usual.

Wow did my taste get more mainstream this year? This can't abide.

No, it’s the kids who are right!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

How many people played SA Game of the Year Baldur's Gate 3 on console

Does Steam Deck count? Unmodded with a controller at least.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

biceps crimes posted:

I picked up My Time at Sandrock, which wasn't on my radar at all, and now I can't put it down. Thanks, GOTY thread!

Enjoy!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Kerrzhe posted:

I have skepticism of sandrock cause I bounced off of Portia really hard…

I didn’t play Portia and don’t plan to because everyone tells me that Sandrock is immensely better.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I didn’t hustle and left it running paused through a few meals, but Steam says I was at 130 hours when I rolled credits (still underleveled for some gear I have)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

oh man now I want to scrape all my Steam library data and make a spreadsheet and poo poo

instead I will see if I can get the executive function together to start Outer Wilds

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

fridge corn posted:

I've already got two of those noted down :D

Never did play much of Lode Runner tho

Marathon

whatever that overhead multiplayer tank game was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

still going back and re-reading lists to plump up my wishlist. what a thread, geez