Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

Thordain posted:

13 Sentinels, ranked:

1. Yuki Takamiya

I'm playing through 13 Sentinels right now and I agree with your top pick. Sukeban supremacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

Foul Fowl posted:

1 - Street Fighter 6

i played the gently caress out of this game. i played it with my friends, i got to master rank online, and i went to locals and smoked some rear end like it was grass before i got rolled up and inhaled in one pull by people who are actually good. fighting games are god's gift to gaming. all other genres are the droppings of blank-faced glassy-eyed cows on the endless verdant fields where the fighting games frolic.

god I wish I was even remotely competent at fighting games. they seem so fun

unfortunately, quarter circle turns are the gaming equivalent of open heart surgery mixed with rocket science. alas

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

This was a great year even if I restrict it to just games that released this year. But I didn't, and I played a whole lot of games this year. This one was a hard list. Usually I can kind of top of my head 8 games and then the final 2 are easyish. This year the last 3 spots were cutthroat hard. Even some in the list immediately below would’ve been top 10 contenders in another year.

-----Worst to Best, starting with The Rest-----
Exoprimal, Trepang2, The Bookwalker, Against the Storm, Rollerdrome, Little Witch Nobeta, JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure: All Star Battle R, Jusant, Pentiment, Killer Instinct, Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty, Everspace 2, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Breachers, Boltgun, Paranormasight, Golden Idol DLC, Red Matter, 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim (I’m not even halfway into this one. It should make my top ten next year if it even halfway delivers on all the plot threads it’s setting up), The Quarry, Master Detective Archives: Raincode, Halo 3, Remnant II

-----Honorable Mentions-----

Hogwarts LegacyNobody cared who I was until I put on the mask. Was hoping to put this one in my top ten because it did a lot that impressed me, but they played it a little safe and didn’t quite hit greatness. I understand why they did it; Portkey is a new studio and they had to drop something that was going to have the best chance possible to capture a wide audience. It did that. Now they’ve got a blank check and can make a sequel that fully delivers on the experience and tones down the copy/paste Ubisoft-esque elements. Maybe a little more focus on the actual school and classes as well. The core element is that the combat was fun and engaging all the way to the end, and murdering an entire room full of goblin scum with Avada Kedavra felt great.
Warcraft Rumble – I can sense myself slowly falling off of this one, but it’s still a daily play. Addictive, short levels, and there’s a lot of progress you can make without paying. But the PvP is massively frustrating and the PvE can be brutal at times.
Hi-Fi Rush – Phantom drops are the best. Played this one on gamepass, enjoyed it a lot. It’s not quite on par with Platinum’s stuff, but it’s not far off, and the follow the rhythm of the music mechanic is a unique choice that works both stylistically and in terms of gameplay.
Holocure – This one was on my top ten list last year. Not a single other person even mentioned it that year, and its insignificance made it not even show up in the 1 point list in the summation post… Yeah, well who’s laughing now motherfuckers? You LOVE that sweet vtuber VS clone now don’t you? Understandable, since the recent update was pretty sweet. Kay Yu does really good work and you should probably watch Heavenly Delusion, too. Anyway, Miosha is still my favorite to play.
Marvel Snap – Dude gently caress this game. At least Galactus is unplayably bad now, suck it. Warcraft Rumble managed to ween me off this thing, but since I started back in the Zabu season, I was literally playing it every single day. I’m off it for now, but who knows how long that’ll last. As video card games go, this one is as addictive as anything else I’ve played, even Slay the Spire. I do not recommend starting it, it's that addictive.
Batman: Arkham Knight – In a slightly weaker year, my replay of my favorite videogame of all time might have made my top ten. There’s just a whole lot of game here, and the production values on everything really show how good Rocksteady was at their peak. Got all the DLC for 5 bucks, including the various Batmobile races and cars, and it’s amazing how much work they put in on some of that stuff, given how few people probably touched it. The courses inspired by the 60s TV show, ’89 movie, and Nolan trilogy are thematically cool as hell. The 60s courses play the classic Batman theme the whole time and when you finish the race, it ends on the “Batmaaaaaaaaaan.” I couldn’t not grin. Then I remembered Rocksteady hasn’t made a game in 9 years and they’re slated to release a pile of steaming garbage next year, and my heart hurt.
Diablo IV – I really wanted to keep this in my top ten. I think the campaign is genuinely good, and there’s a good amount of meat to it. Any game that keeps me that interested for more than 20 hours has more than justified its cost, and Diablo IV did. The endgame was lackluster at launch, so I did fall off, but even if you just removed the endgame entirely and had credits roll when you killed the last boss, this would’ve been a heckuva game.

-----The Top Ten-----
10. No More Heroes 3

I’m giving this the number 10 because it’s so incredibly charming, and it’s a worthwhile closer for a series close to my heart. Travis Touchdown is my favorite videogame character of all time, and seeing him again felt great. Unlike some others here, I really genuinely did not care much for Travis Strikes Again, so it was nice to get a competent action game return to the NMH world that had plenty of the same personality. I don’t think it hits the same highs that NMH1 and to a lesser degree 2 did for me, but I got plenty of enjoyment out of it. Mowing the lawn, gently caress yeah.

9. Opus Magnum

My first Zachtronics game. Probably the only one I can really get into, other than maybe Mobius Front ’83. The mechanics in Opus Magnum are accessible to people who aren’t into crunchy puzzlers, while still allowing you to impose challenge on yourself to maximize efficiency and minimize space for solutions. Just solving each level is pretty easy, so trying to do it as well as you personally can is where I think the fun of this game comes from. I haven’t finished it, because it did get to the point where getting a solution I was proud of and satisfied with started taking like an hour per level. But I still think it easily makes my top ten of the year.

8. Alan Wake 2

I wanted to put this higher up the list, but I really didn’t care for Saga Anderson and she’s basically half the game. Overall though, AW2 does a remarkable amount right and the passion radiates off of it. The atmosphere is incredible, the visuals and especially the lighting (shocker) are absurdly good and among the best in videogames. Like this is probably one of the 5 best-looking games ever made and it does things with its visuals that I just haven’t really seen games pull off this seamlessly before. Remedy always does good work there but this is their best to date. The combat encounters show a lot of restraint until the end, and it’s surprising how threatening you can make one or two enemies. No need to ask the player to mow down hordes of shadow people when just two will make you this tense. The story is interesting, the dual settings contrast each other and have a lot of variety, and the survival horror elements are competent. The Herald of Darkness setpiece that occurs about a third of the way through the game just blew me away in every regard, and I love the direction on it. Control fell off for me early because the gameplay got stale, but Alan Wake 2 remained engaging on all fronts for the entire game.

7. Armored Core 6: Fires of Rubicon

It’s good. The customization on offer for your arsenal and mech, including the paintjob and logos was superb, and I switched up what weapons I was using quite often just because if something looked fun I wanted to try it. I wish there had been more encounters like the crawler, but I enjoyed my time with AC6 from start to finish. This is a game that wouldn’t have sold at all if it didn’t have From’s now-sterling name on it, and I’m glad they were able to return to a classic series and see some success with it, creating new fans (including myself) in the process. V IV Rusty is our guy.

6. Cyberpunk 2077

I never played it on launch. Heard it was buggy as gently caress, and that even when it was working it didn’t really deliver on the fantasy all that well. After the Phantom Liberty patch though, I can confidently say this is mostly the game I wanted before the original release. The story was interesting, the talents are cool and impactful, the combat never stopped being fun through to the end, and it let me throw knives directly into people’s skulls until they were dead. I will say that I do have two criticisms though. One is that daytime completely ruins the aesthetic of Night City, and they should’ve made the brightest it ever gets an overcast rainy day. The second is that you only get one respec, and there were at least three other builds I wanted to try and didn’t get to. Phantom Liberty as a DLC was the game’s Blood & Wine, and delivered additional content that was at least as good as the main game. If you were waiting until Cyberpunk was good to finally play it, now’s the time. It’s good. Oh, and I (CP2077 & Edgerunners spoilers) made sure to put Adam Smasher down using Rebecca’s shotgun. REVENGE.

5. Baldur’s Gate 3

Pretty much everyone’s uncontested game of 2023, I think, and for good reason. It’s a lovingly-crafted RPG with a lot of ways to play it, a good story, and the typical Larian “oh poo poo, this thing works exactly how it logically should” quality. Games that respond in the way you want even though it must’ve taken a lot of work to make that functional always score high with me. Pickpocketing the mage hand ring off the djinn in act 3 and then winning the spin because he couldn’t cheat anymore was so goddamn delightful and the reward was awesome, too. Great game, and I’m not even into that kind of RPG.

4. Lies of P

It’s the best Soulslike not made by From. I’ve played a good number of them (Steelrising, Thymesia, a few others not worth naming), and Lies of P is at least a full letter grade above them all. It’s responsive, the weapons feel great to use, there’s a ton of them AND they’re customizable to any playstyle. So if you find a cool pizzacutter sawblade head that you like, but the handle to use it has the wrong stats for your build, or you just want a different moveset on it, just jam that thing on a handle you like and you’re good to go with a loving Frankenstein weapon. The boss weapons are so cool I barely even engaged with that system though.
I loved that I had multiple options for defending against most attacks. The game rewards you for perfectly timing your parry, it rewards you for being aggressive when you have no healing charges left by recharging up to one of them, and it all just feels great. The setting is pretty neat, and I think Bloodborne fans will find a lot to like about it. Some of the bosses took me quite a few attempts, and I’ve beaten all of From’s stuff. The ending teases a sequel/spinoff set in another classic tale, and I’m excited for it after seeing what this studio was able to do on its first outing with singleplayer. This was my big Gamepass justifier this year.

3. The Rift Breaker

Biggest surprise of the year for me. Downloaded it on Gamepass kind of on a whim, and it… I dunno, just scratched an itch. It’s this weird combination of RTS resource harvesting and researching mechanics mixed with tower defense, base-building, and you control a unit that can engage in combat with all kinds of armaments and abilities. Helping your automated defenses protect your precious base against humongous swarms of enemies using flamethrowers, miniguns, all that sort of thing, while ensuring you’ve got production generating enough ammunition for your towers to fire, energy for them to run, and researching more efficient and sustainable sources of all that was satisfying. Queuing up production of 50 solar panel and wind turbines in as dense a formation as possible, very satisfying. Managing to have sufficient resources and energy to power and feed the ultimate building which is the goal of the whole game to set up… very satisfying. And since you have to explore other areas of the planet to get certain materials for various production, you don’t just sit on your one original base/area for the whole time. You have to set up new bases in areas with their own challenges, and get them to be self-sustaining so you can still be getting those materials even when you’re elsewhere on the planet.
Very satisfying.

2. Grounded

The best time I had playing with friends all year. I’ve played a few games like Subnautica now, and Grounded is the one that I think comes closest to accomplishing the same things. But because it’s a world shared with friends, the experience has that aspect to it that made it a lot more fun. Discovering new areas, realizing where you are in the shrunken backyard, hunting down the newest bugs and getting materials to craft stronger gear so we could explore further, ensuring we had enough supplies for an expedition to a new, dangerous area… it was all a great time! And the first time I set up a zipline that went from my group’s base near the pond all the way to the highest elevation area of the game rivals or maybe even exceeds the feeling I’ve gotten from unlocking a particularly useful shortcut in a Souls game. The final event of the story was genuinely epic, and we really went nuts preparing for it after a first try was a spectacular failure. If you’ve got a couple friends to play with, I really cant recommend Grounded enough. It has that “joy of exploration” factor that I don’t get in videogames that often anymore.

1. Disco Elysium

This was the first game I played in 2023, and it has stuck with me since. Disco Elysium is probably the best writing I’ve ever seen in a videogame. From the very first minute I was laughing, and it only got better from there. I criticize nothing in games more strongly than writing, and the entire industry seems to forgive shortcomings in that area often. Maybe it’s because writer is a job anyone can do, and a game doesn’t really suffer that much if the dialogue or the descriptions are written at a 4th grade level. Even lauded stories like The Last of Us would be average at best were they books instead. But Disco Elysium would stand out no matter what, because everything about the story and the characters is so full of soul, and a spark that game writing just doesn’t typically have.
I loved the whole thing. And I didn’t save scum because even a failed roll was just part of the story of MY playthrough and failure was as much a part of my (and everyone’s) Harry as success. Moreso, probably. I don’t even mind that I didn’t do the Phasmid side quest so it ran away at the end before I could get a picture or talk to it. Because that was part of my story, and who my Harry was. My favorite moment was interrogating the woman on the rooftop and managing to pass the check where Volition told me that the personality aspects I had been relying on this whole time were all lying to me when it came to her. Volition is NOT a boring condom, he is my bro. I wanted to keep it short, but drat… I really want to give this game all the praise I have to give even though I’m late to the party and in past years everyone else has said it all already. I guess I’d sum it up with the statement that Disco Elysium impressed me constantly, and it was an experience I’m going to be chasing – probably unsuccessfully – for the rest of my time playing videogames.

Easy Consumption:
1. Disco Elysium
2. Grounded
3. The Rift Breaker
4. Lies of P
5. Baldur’s Gate 3
6. Cyberpunk 2077
7. Armored Core 6: Fires of Rubicon
8. Alan Wake 2
9. Opus Magnum
10. No More Heroes 3

Darke GBF fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Dec 28, 2023

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

Ibblebibble posted:

Same, it's hella cheap when it's on sale and I like timeline fuckery games.

Buddy, it's V.IV Rusty... 4 not 6!!!

He would forgive you anyway.

oh my goodness

yeah he would, he's a bro

drat that's a cute Shizuka avatar. She's great

Darke GBF fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Dec 28, 2023

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

8. Boltgun

There's a button to scream at filthy xenos. Good shootin'.

I WILL FINISH THE WORK CAPTAIN TITUS STARTED

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

:d: 03 - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare

Hours played = 15+ / ♫ Fair Winds

Me waiting here twiddling my thumbs hoping Microsoft puts all the old CoD games on Gamepass because I never played Advanced or Infinite Warfare and I would like to at some point. Though honestly MW19, Cold War, and MWII had some of the most enjoyable FPS campaigns I've ever played (MWII in particular just put on a clinic for how to make an FPS campaign that wasn't the same shooting gallery after shooting gallery). They've done really good work in the past 5 years, although from what I hear MWIII was a misstep.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

SirSamVimes posted:

none of them are zelda

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

I wish I was able to feel this way about Signalis but even as the target demo I don't get the love people have for it. Just found myself really bored with it after a while.

I fell off Signalis an hour and a half in or something. It was okay.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

Issaries posted:

Top 10 Alan Wake 2 Jiffs:

Any Alan Wake 2 list or placement that doesn't include the Koskela brothers at least once just isn't gonna do it.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

haveblue posted:

Disco Elysium is about a guy who forcefully evangelizes communism and is also a huge loser who destroyed his own life, so of course goons identify with it

lmao nailed it

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

Top ten Deep Rock Galactic voice lines:
1. If you don't rock and stone, you ain't comin' home
2. Rock me like a stone!
3. When you rock and stone, you're never alone
4. If I was a piece of crap antenna node, where would I be?
5. ROCK.... AND.... STOOOOOONE!
6. For those about to rock and stone, we salute you!
7. Did I hear a rock and stone?
8. FOR KARL!
9. Die like your mother did!
10. I hate nature.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

Kazzah posted:

I was very happy to see Batman: Arkham Knight place on a few people's lists. It's a great game! Man, it's been like two years since my last replay, wonder how it would look on the OLED...

It's the definitive Batman experience. It also still looks amazing visually. Rocksteady worked some serious magic with UE3.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

This is an Automated GOTY BeanPost. I am asleep right now but I wanted to say that ______ is so amazing, I agree with everything that's been said about it. I can't believe it didn't rank __th, but at least it beat out ______ , I bounced right off that one. Anyways, I know this is supposed to be a positive thread so hell yeah for gaming. This thread is the best. I've run the numbers and I'm alost positive the next game on the list is ______ !

emptyquotin this

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

Wo Long peaked with the Lu Bu fight and never recovered. Truly the strongest man in the three kingdoms.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

it was so loving good

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

Golden Idol was on my list last year and it was the only game even trying to scratch that Obra Dinn itch. Clearly it has done well for the dev because after a game and 2 DLCs, they've got a sequel coming out this year means they're either easy to make, sell well, or both. I'll keep playing em as long as they want to make more!

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

Well poo poo I thought Lies of P would be higher. Best Bloodborne of 2023 for sure.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

AceOfFlames posted:

As soon as you said that, I got a twinge of panic and dashed to the Below Top 50 list and was relieved to see Lords of the Fallen 2023 there.

Lords of the Fallen stood no chance against the twink puppet in his cute little sailor suit

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

Issaries posted:

ALAN WAKE 2 - The Finnish Story in 5 Jifs:

The Koskela brothers are the best characters in the game and it's not even loving close

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

I bought a cheap chinese hitbox controller, Street Fighter 6, and I'm working my way through bronze playing as homeless Ken (Hobo Ken? Hoboken?). I can actually do real moves in classic control scheme, although I cant really do combos that have more than like 3 hits intentionally. Game is a lot of fun and also rage-inducing.

I don't see any reason why I cant get better. Sticks were impossible for me to do fighting game inputs on, and quarter circle turns were literally on par with brain surgery or grandmaster-tier violin playing. The hitbox makes them much easier, and has demystified much of what kept me from enjoying fighting games in the past. Anyway, Street Fighter 6 a cool game so far. Fights in the streets.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

2024 is Space Marine 2, Hades 2, and Rise of the Golden Idol for me. A PC release of Horizon Forbidden West is also something I'm really looking forward to.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

ChrisBTY posted:

Gods drat, I knew I wasn't great at the sizzle reels this year but only one quote is a hit to the old ego.

I rated all the popular poo poo mid to low on my list. But I got quoted for Disco Elysium, and that's all that matters.

Mr. Evrart is helping me find my gun.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

Alan Wake 2 is permanently relegated to the Epic Games Store on PC at least, so I don't expect that it will ever reach the kind of wide audience it deserves.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

HopperUK posted:

Yay!

Look at this stupid thing I made. It makes me so cross, it's so silly. But I made it, dammit.

Opus Magnum hijack time!

My hangover cure is more expensive than yours and requires more area, but I get that poo poo done fast. When you need a hangover cure, you need it right NOW

game owns

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

the sex number

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

this thread really makes me FEEL like spider-man