Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
video games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
First quarter of the year was all Mass Effect: Legendary Edition. A replay for me, but I never did any ME3 DLC outside of Javik, so the Citadel was a very welcome capstone. Big fan of the series but I was soured on the ending when it first came out and the hamfisted attempt to improve them. Yadda yadda, been said before. But unlock a lot of fans, I ended it there. Could've really used Citadel back then, haha. Like I say, very welcome capstone. The ending was once again such a forgettable wet fart that I am to know that I will soon forget it only for the Citadel DLC to take its place as the game ending in my memories. 10/10 gaming experience. Fantastic trilogy.

After such an extensive game, I wanted to try out some smaller titles. Everhood was a fun rhythm-based Undertale-like. In retrospect, pretty forgettable. Fun in the moment though. Decent art, decent battle-system--if forgettable songs, and decent storyline. Wears its influences on its sleeve too much. Never really feels like its own thing. Does some interesting things with Buddhism in its plot, but I kind of forgot I'd played it this year until I went to my Steam list.

Played Frog Detective 1: The Haunted Island on recommendation from a friend. Trailer looked promising. Actual experience was pretty flat. The premise and humour were pretty neat, but it just wasn't fun to play. Too slow-paced, too linear, too simple... I'd say I was interested in what a sequel might do, but apparently all of the Frog Detective games are just more of the same, soooo... not for me.

Then in an attempt to chip away at my backlog, I gave Jotun a fairer shake. Tried it when it came out but bounced off it after 20 minutes. Got further in this time. Is pretty solid. Great art. Not a big fan of the gameplay, though. Hard to put my finger on what it was. Not responsive enough? Defeated the first couple of jotun this time, but then I dropped this one.

Hit up Mudrunner next. I've been meaning to try this out since I saw Spintires. Sims aren't really my thing, but something about driving big logs back and forth a muddy wilderness drew me in. Had a blast playing this for a few weeks! Great graphics, loved the gameplay. Really felt like the Dark Souls of driving trucks. I had to put a pin in this because I was able to snag my next game on sale, but I'd like to return to this one at some point. The next game though...

...was The Case of the Golden Idol. This was gaming bliss for me. Absolutely loved it. Devoured the game and replayed it. Blitzed through the first DLC when it dropped too. Still need to play the second DLC... but I'm engaged in other games currently. Absolutely loved it. The puzzles were so satisfying. I'm not too proud to admit that I often reach for hints in puzzle games, but this was one so gratifying that I toughed it out and managed to get through without using them. Personal achievement unlocked. Last time I had this much fun in a puzzle game was Return of the Obra Dinn. Can't say enough great things about it. Art, music, atmosphere... again, gaming bliss.

Then come September I got myself a Switch. Been meaning to for ages and found a good deal, so it seemed like a great time to jump in. Start with the Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening Remake. I'm a bit of a fairweather Zelda fan--I've only really played Ocarina of Time and Link to the Past, and both of those only back when they released--so this really felt like a new experience to me. I'd played the very beginning of the game as a kid at a friends house, but never got through the forest. For decades I assumed most of Koholint Island was just endless forest! A little bit revelatory to discover it was such a tiny part of the game. Loved every part of this experience though. Well... except for that build-a-dungeon feature with Dampe. Didn't care for that and was annoyed I had to play it to get more heart pieces. Still, it wasn't terrible and I think it's telling my most negative experience with the game was so trivial and entirely optional. It was certainly no Chrono Trigger DS Magic Mountain nonsense. Fantastic game. Fantastic remake. Read up on how the original played and I can't imagine ever going back to the original cart after all the quality of life features added to this. Game rules.

Picked up Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition as a time killer game. Partly I was on a Zelda kick and partly I'd bounced off of Warriors-type games before and wanted to give them a fairer shake. Quite enjoy this one. I say enjoy and not enjoyed because I am sure I will be playing this for 100s of hours. I've only been playing it here or there when I need that sort-of-mindless-hack-and-slash type of game. Great for it! Can't say the story line is anything to write home about. It's not. But it scratches a gaming itch and I dig it. Playing it here or there in the last few months, I've beat the first Legend Campaign mode. Just started playing the mode where you wander around giant maps of previous games... gonna be here a while. Solid this.

Played Pokemon: Shield afterwards. I'm also a fairweather Pokemon fan. Had the original Red cart and played that thing to death. Picked it up again as FireRed because nostalgia... but the only other Pokemon I've played was Diamond I thought was only alright. This being the first truly 3D one was why I wanted to play it... and I quite liked it! Felt like a nice follow-up to my experience with Red. I'd wanted a 3D Pokemon since I saw trailers for Stadium and was disappointed it was only arena combat. There are a lot of complaints of the game, but a lot don't hit hard with me because I've not played many of the other games. I fear this is probably a similar situation to me liking Assassin's Creed 3 a lot but probably because it's the only one I've played aside from an hour of Assassin's Creed 1. Ah well. It has made add Arceus to my gaming wishlist, so like Link's Awakening Remake, it's rekindled an interest in the series.

Mario & Rabbids: Kingdom Battles was next. This game was solid. Very chill. Loved the art design and the lowkey XCOM combat. I am not very good at XCOM, but I like the gameplay. Being able to play a baby's-first-XCOM was kinda great. The humour was pretty solid too. The Rabbids work for me here. Wish there was a more interesting storyline and that the devs made more use out of Mario enemies in the game, but I enjoyed my time with it and look forward to trying the sequel. Sounds like a lot of my issues with this one get ironed out in that one.

Then to keep on the Mario train, I picked up Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury. Bit of a broken record, but like Pokemon and Zelda, I'm a bit out of touch with regards to Mario. Big, big, massive fan on the NES, SNES, and 64, but following that I just kind of stopped following Mario games. Last 3D Mario I played was 64. It was really great getting back into the franchise with this. The gameplay and level-design are so god damned tight. It's nice to be reminded of why Mario games are to cream of the crop. Every level was a treat. Well, that I've played. I'm on the Star World right now. Want to max out all my stars. Still need to play Bowser's Fury afterwards...

But then I picked up Fishing Paradiso for a chill change of pace. It's an indie pixel fishing game and you build up relationship meters with people by giving them fish. It was really doing it for me when I wanted a chill mindless game but didn't want to play Hyrule Warriors. Like Hyrule Warriors, though, the gameplay loop is so repetitive that I burnt myself out on this. Still haven't figured out how to go meet the space-god-fish. I'll come back and finish it eventually. It's got a solid chill vibe.

Coming into December, there are a few games I've got on the go. Started with Shin Megami Tensei V. SMTV is too early to call. Love the vibe, the music absolutely slays, the graphics and gameplay are great--and I'm only 5 hours in and know I have barely scratched the surface. This one is going to require much more investment of my time... Not going to add it to this year's list.

so I put it aside for Metroid Dread which is another sublime gaming experience. The controls are so smooth. So precise. Gaming bliss. The boss fights have utterly ruled so far. Also it incorporates past games so well but is really selling its own thing. I both hate and adore the EMMIs... great concept, flawed execution. They just aren't... fun. Like, I enjoy the sneaking and dodging and running aspect, but not the slightly grazing them starts the instakill cutscene where you have two tiny windows of opportunity to escape. Just leads to a lot of trial and error. Really feels like a two steps forward and one step backwards on improving the whole SA-X thing from Fusion. I've gotten through them all and just have to kill the final boss. Trying to get as many energy tanks and missiles as I can. This one's real hard--don't think I'm going to be able to 100% it, but I appreciate that the devs weren't shy in putting out a challenge. I just can't seem to store shinesparks when trying to get those hard to reach bonuses.

Lastly I've been chipping away at the first Phoenix Wright game in the Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy. Really damned good so far. Love the writing. Very funny game and feels very satisfying to solve the courtroom logic. The logic is a bit... strange at some moments. I would keep getting ahead of the game and having the judge get annoyed with me, but I'm figuring out its pace. Moving from screen to screen is tedious when investigating, but again the courtroom experience is really paying off that build-up.

so...

Gonna only do a Top 5 for this year, but it's these ones:

1. The Case of the Golden Idol
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening Remake
  3. Mass Effect: Legendary Edition
  4. Metroid Dread
  5. Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Captain Invictus posted:

10: Baldur's Gate 3.2

9: Postmodern Warfare

4: The Scrimblo Bimblo Conspiracy

1: Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War IV

8: Transformers: War for Oil

5: Marvel's Contenders

7: E.T. the Extraterrestrial

8: The Wonderful 100

3: Calzone Obelisk

lol

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
wait theres a DoW IV?!?!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

VG posted:

Write as many words on the games you like as you wish. There is nothing lovelier than seeing posts from people with joy in their hearts and gushing about games is one of my favourite kinds of posting.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

this is my favorite thread of the year and I'm reading every god drat word

ty

this is my first year posting in it. ive only lurked prior years

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

ShoogaSlim posted:

dear ascending list posters:

why?

why not?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
finished Ace Attorney. this game whips. originally planned to take a break after the first game anf switch to something else but think i might just go straight thru the trilogy first.

koos group being the final boss ruled lol

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
is the list requirement either a top5 or top10??? or could i have say a top6 or top7?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
sweet.

gonna keep gaming but will need to revise my list at some point to slot in Ace Attorney

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Mix. posted:

40. Bear and Breakfast

Bear and Breakfast is a game that is at the bottom of the list primarily because of how much of a letdown it was for me personally, but I think it’s definitely a game for other people…I’m just not one of those people. I think what really soured me on this was the fact the game set an expectation for me that it was going to have, uh, any kind of actual story to it in addition to what seemed to be a pretty by the numbers management sim game. The more I played of this the more hollow the whole experience started to feel for me because of how completely disconnected I’d become, because of how little was actually happening outside of the mechanical gameplay; story's usually a pretty big deal for me unless a game by design has no story/narrative attached, so going into one expecting something only to basically end up with nothing left me feeling kind of dejected. Still, if you like management sims and the lack of a story isn’t a dealbreaker for you, who knows, this could be your thing!

i did a double and triple take because i kept confusing this for "Bear's Restaruant" as i read it. took me a moment to realize you were talking about an entirely different game, haha

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Sally posted:

First quarter of the year was all Mass Effect: Legendary Edition. A replay for me, but I never did any ME3 DLC outside of Javik, so the Citadel was a very welcome capstone. Big fan of the series but I was soured on the ending when it first came out and the hamfisted attempt to improve them. Yadda yadda, been said before. But unlock a lot of fans, I ended it there. Could've really used Citadel back then, haha. Like I say, very welcome capstone. The ending was once again such a forgettable wet fart that I am to know that I will soon forget it only for the Citadel DLC to take its place as the game ending in my memories. 10/10 gaming experience. Fantastic trilogy.

After such an extensive game, I wanted to try out some smaller titles. Everhood was a fun rhythm-based Undertale-like. In retrospect, pretty forgettable. Fun in the moment though. Decent art, decent battle-system--if forgettable songs, and decent storyline. Wears its influences on its sleeve too much. Never really feels like its own thing. Does some interesting things with Buddhism in its plot, but I kind of forgot I'd played it this year until I went to my Steam list.

Played Frog Detective 1: The Haunted Island on recommendation from a friend. Trailer looked promising. Actual experience was pretty flat. The premise and humour were pretty neat, but it just wasn't fun to play. Too slow-paced, too linear, too simple... I'd say I was interested in what a sequel might do, but apparently all of the Frog Detective games are just more of the same, soooo... not for me.

Then in an attempt to chip away at my backlog, I gave Jotun a fairer shake. Tried it when it came out but bounced off it after 20 minutes. Got further in this time. Is pretty solid. Great art. Not a big fan of the gameplay, though. Hard to put my finger on what it was. Not responsive enough? Defeated the first couple of jotun this time, but then I dropped this one.

Hit up Mudrunner next. I've been meaning to try this out since I saw Spintires. Sims aren't really my thing, but something about driving big logs back and forth a muddy wilderness drew me in. Had a blast playing this for a few weeks! Great graphics, loved the gameplay. Really felt like the Dark Souls of driving trucks. I had to put a pin in this because I was able to snag my next game on sale, but I'd like to return to this one at some point. The next game though...

...was The Case of the Golden Idol. This was gaming bliss for me. Absolutely loved it. Devoured the game and replayed it. Blitzed through the first DLC when it dropped too. Still need to play the second DLC... but I'm engaged in other games currently. Absolutely loved it. The puzzles were so satisfying. I'm not too proud to admit that I often reach for hints in puzzle games, but this was one so gratifying that I toughed it out and managed to get through without using them. Personal achievement unlocked. Last time I had this much fun in a puzzle game was Return of the Obra Dinn. Can't say enough great things about it. Art, music, atmosphere... again, gaming bliss.

Then come September I got myself a Switch. Been meaning to for ages and found a good deal, so it seemed like a great time to jump in. Start with the Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening Remake. I'm a bit of a fairweather Zelda fan--I've only really played Ocarina of Time and Link to the Past, and both of those only back when they released--so this really felt like a new experience to me. I'd played the very beginning of the game as a kid at a friends house, but never got through the forest. For decades I assumed most of Koholint Island was just endless forest! A little bit revelatory to discover it was such a tiny part of the game. Loved every part of this experience though. Well... except for that build-a-dungeon feature with Dampe. Didn't care for that and was annoyed I had to play it to get more heart pieces. Still, it wasn't terrible and I think it's telling my most negative experience with the game was so trivial and entirely optional. It was certainly no Chrono Trigger DS Magic Mountain nonsense. Fantastic game. Fantastic remake. Read up on how the original played and I can't imagine ever going back to the original cart after all the quality of life features added to this. Game rules.

Picked up Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition as a time killer game. Partly I was on a Zelda kick and partly I'd bounced off of Warriors-type games before and wanted to give them a fairer shake. Quite enjoy this one. I say enjoy and not enjoyed because I am sure I will be playing this for 100s of hours. I've only been playing it here or there when I need that sort-of-mindless-hack-and-slash type of game. Great for it! Can't say the story line is anything to write home about. It's not. But it scratches a gaming itch and I dig it. Playing it here or there in the last few months, I've beat the first Legend Campaign mode. Just started playing the mode where you wander around giant maps of previous games... gonna be here a while. Solid this.

Played Pokemon: Shield afterwards. I'm also a fairweather Pokemon fan. Had the original Red cart and played that thing to death. Picked it up again as FireRed because nostalgia... but the only other Pokemon I've played was Diamond I thought was only alright. This being the first truly 3D one was why I wanted to play it... and I quite liked it! Felt like a nice follow-up to my experience with Red. I'd wanted a 3D Pokemon since I saw trailers for Stadium and was disappointed it was only arena combat. There are a lot of complaints of the game, but a lot don't hit hard with me because I've not played many of the other games. I fear this is probably a similar situation to me liking Assassin's Creed 3 a lot but probably because it's the only one I've played aside from an hour of Assassin's Creed 1. Ah well. It has made add Arceus to my gaming wishlist, so like Link's Awakening Remake, it's rekindled an interest in the series.

Mario & Rabbids: Kingdom Battles was next. This game was solid. Very chill. Loved the art design and the lowkey XCOM combat. I am not very good at XCOM, but I like the gameplay. Being able to play a baby's-first-XCOM was kinda great. The humour was pretty solid too. The Rabbids work for me here. Wish there was a more interesting storyline and that the devs made more use out of Mario enemies in the game, but I enjoyed my time with it and look forward to trying the sequel. Sounds like a lot of my issues with this one get ironed out in that one.

Then to keep on the Mario train, I picked up Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury. Bit of a broken record, but like Pokemon and Zelda, I'm a bit out of touch with regards to Mario. Big, big, massive fan on the NES, SNES, and 64, but following that I just kind of stopped following Mario games. Last 3D Mario I played was 64. It was really great getting back into the franchise with this. The gameplay and level-design are so god damned tight. It's nice to be reminded of why Mario games are to cream of the crop. Every level was a treat. Well, that I've played. I'm on the Star World right now. Want to max out all my stars. Still need to play Bowser's Fury afterwards...

But then I picked up Fishing Paradiso for a chill change of pace. It's an indie pixel fishing game and you build up relationship meters with people by giving them fish. It was really doing it for me when I wanted a chill mindless game but didn't want to play Hyrule Warriors. Like Hyrule Warriors, though, the gameplay loop is so repetitive that I burnt myself out on this. Still haven't figured out how to go meet the space-god-fish. I'll come back and finish it eventually. It's got a solid chill vibe.

Coming into December, there are a few games I've got on the go. Started with Shin Megami Tensei V. SMTV is too early to call. Love the vibe, the music absolutely slays, the graphics and gameplay are great--and I'm only 5 hours in and know I have barely scratched the surface. This one is going to require much more investment of my time... Not going to add it to this year's list.

so I put it aside for Metroid Dread which is another sublime gaming experience. The controls are so smooth. So precise. Gaming bliss. The boss fights have utterly ruled so far. Also it incorporates past games so well but is really selling its own thing. I both hate and adore the EMMIs... great concept, flawed execution. They just aren't... fun. Like, I enjoy the sneaking and dodging and running aspect, but not the slightly grazing them starts the instakill cutscene where you have two tiny windows of opportunity to escape. Just leads to a lot of trial and error. Really feels like a two steps forward and one step backwards on improving the whole SA-X thing from Fusion. I've gotten through them all and just have to kill the final boss. Trying to get as many energy tanks and missiles as I can. This one's real hard--don't think I'm going to be able to 100% it, but I appreciate that the devs weren't shy in putting out a challenge. I just can't seem to store shinesparks when trying to get those hard to reach bonuses.

Lastly I've been chipping away at the first Phoenix Wright game in the Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy. Really damned good so far. Love the writing. Very funny game and feels very satisfying to solve the courtroom logic. The logic is a bit... strange at some moments. I would keep getting ahead of the game and having the judge get annoyed with me, but I'm figuring out its pace. Moving from screen to screen is tedious when investigating, but again the courtroom experience is really paying off that build-up.

so...

Gonna only do a Top 5 for this year, but it's these ones:

2. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening Remake
  3. Mass Effect: Legendary Edition
  4. Metroid Dread
  5. Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury

Having played most of the Phoenix Wright trilogy and having been reminded of games I forgot I played by the Steam Year In Review and having been inspired by the love and care put into some of these posts, I wish to revise my TOP 5 to a TOP 10, because I realize I now have enough games I absolutely loved to make a full one. I have added text to new titles:

10 - Pokemon: Shield
9 - Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battles
8 - Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition
7 - Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition
Sometimes the classics are still the best... forgot I played hours and hours of this game until Steam pointed it out to me. I guess I've been playing this off and on for so long that it all just blends together. Almost forgot by Return of Rome came out this year. Not the best DLC release for AoE2, but I had fun with it. I bounced off playing AoE1 Definitive Edition, so this was actually a great way for me to relieve the weird jankiness of that game. There was a lot of controversy when it first dropped because it wasn't exactly clear that they weren't remaking the ENTIRE Aoe1 campaign collection in the AoE2 engine--just a couple of them. When it released and that was evident, there was a lot of negative backlash. I always wish we get more content for AoE2, but maybe this was a good thing, as those old campaigns were rough to play. The new civilization added, the Lac Viet, didn't even get a new campaign to go with it. It did add Western Rome as an AoE2 faction separate from the Byzantines, but there was no new AoE2 campaign to go with it.

A middling DLC all around, though there are now plans to add four more AoE1 campaigns.

But still, because I reinstalled it I just wound up replaying some of the older better DLC campaigns. And I loved it. Every minute of it. This game is evergreen for me and I look forward to playing future DLC for it.

6 - Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury
5 - Metroid Dread
4 - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy
This trilogy has been excellent and I can't believe it's bumping Metroid down a notch... I thought I'd take a break from trying to get the last few energy tanks before finishing off Raven Beak and JUST play the first Phoenix Wright. However, I got so thoroughly hooked that I'm binging the whole trilogy. I'm currently on the third case of Trials and Tribulations. Just fantastic games all around. Totally captured my attention. Visual novels are not usually my thing, but the way Ace Attorney plays out is just so compelling. I still have to say that I'm not having as much fun doing the investigations as I am when actually in the trials, but also concede that the slow boil set up is what really makes them pay off.

If I were to rank the games individually, I'd probably go best to least best in chronological order. The first Ace Attorney is just a such a wonderful little gem. Such great character moments. The writing has such charm. I was grinning from end to end even when the strange logic got in the way. I had hoped Justice For All would iron out some of the strange logic consistencies for me, but instead felt like more of the same. Not a bad thing, but I'd hoped for a more noticeable improvement in the sequel. There wasn't much new added aside from the truth mechanic and that was at the cost of some of the other one-off mechanics of the first game. One particularly annoying example for me was in the circus case: There was a moment where it was clear to me that the accused had used the trained circus monkey to help them transport objects used in the murder. When asked in the courtroom if the suspect had an accomplice I said it was the monkey and was penalized. The game instead wanted me to say the suspect had NO ACCOMPLICE. But then moments later, when the prosecution pressed me to explain how all these heavy objects were moved without help, only then could I point out there was a trained monkey. Really not a big deal, but it was sometimes hard to follow the game's logic. Still fantastic. Trials and Tribulations is where I'm starting to feel it drag more. The first case playing as Mia in the past was a great intro, but the subsequent cases have just been missing that certain something. Some of the characters are offputting in uncomfortable ways and the silliness is getting a bit convoluted even in a game that had used a parrot as a witness in past cases or had a serial killer testify via walkie talkie.

That said, still great overall and this has easily been a Top 5 gaming experience this year.

3 - Mass Effect: Legendary Edition
2 - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening Remake
1 - Case of the Golden Idol

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
mods plz change Metis of the Hallway's name to "a goon in the chat thread"

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

DalaranJ posted:

Metis of the Chat Thread

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Metis of the Chat Thread posted:

Hello I am Metis of the Chat Thread, as I have always been known, and this is my GOTY list.

lmao yesssss

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
also excellent argument for #1 goty

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Bugblatter posted:

I dunno, the rules specifically say you should have played the game this year.

eh i see it as a letter of the law vs the spirit of the law kind of thing. intent was in the spirit of the thread and was a fun read and it isnt going to skew the final results in ant meaningful so why not just enjoy it

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Bugblatter posted:

I’m glad that at least one person thinks I’m seriously objecting a breach in the rules.

that's what i'm here for. i got you:glomp:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
just grabbed the final DLC and look forward to playing myself. Golden Idol is already my top game so i dont see this lowering it in my eyes lol

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Mamkute posted:

6. Resistance: Fall of Man (2006)

England is depicted exactly how I remember it: grey, cold and filled with ghouls.

this is a good'un. probably my fav of the whole series. it has a great arcadey shooter feel to it that the other games fail to eger replicate. the weapon wheel, the speed Hale moves around, the semiregenrating health, the weird weapons themselves... even the goofy one-off stuff like driving around the jeep and taking sick jumps... it all rules.

not perfect. game takes a bit to get going. the first four missions feel like one long prologue and ehile relatively short feel interminably long. once you are through though the game really opens up.

also for the first PS3 FPS I played i was absolutely blown away by the fact that you could shoot out pieces of a glass pane rather than have the whole thing instantly shatter. next level graphics lol.

you play a New Game+ campaign? it adds a bunch of new weapons for subsequent playthroughs. also coop is a blast if you can find someone for it.

dont get me wrong... R2 and R3 are good in their own ways but just different enough from R1that i was disappointed

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Sally posted:

4 - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy
This trilogy has been excellent and I can't believe it's bumping Metroid down a notch... I thought I'd take a break from trying to get the last few energy tanks before finishing off Raven Beak and JUST play the first Phoenix Wright. However, I got so thoroughly hooked that I'm binging the whole trilogy. I'm currently on the third case of Trials and Tribulations. Just fantastic games all around. Totally captured my attention. Visual novels are not usually my thing, but the way Ace Attorney plays out is just so compelling. I still have to say that I'm not having as much fun doing the investigations as I am when actually in the trials, but also concede that the slow boil set up is what really makes them pay off.

If I were to rank the games individually, I'd probably go best to least best in chronological order. The first Ace Attorney is just a such a wonderful little gem. Such great character moments. The writing has such charm. I was grinning from end to end even when the strange logic got in the way. I had hoped Justice For All would iron out some of the strange logic consistencies for me, but instead felt like more of the same. Not a bad thing, but I'd hoped for a more noticeable improvement in the sequel. There wasn't much new added aside from the truth mechanic and that was at the cost of some of the other one-off mechanics of the first game. One particularly annoying example for me was in the circus case: There was a moment where it was clear to me that the accused had used the trained circus monkey to help them transport objects used in the murder. When asked in the courtroom if the suspect had an accomplice I said it was the monkey and was penalized. The game instead wanted me to say the suspect had NO ACCOMPLICE. But then moments later, when the prosecution pressed me to explain how all these heavy objects were moved without help, only then could I point out there was a trained monkey. Really not a big deal, but it was sometimes hard to follow the game's logic. Still fantastic. Trials and Tribulations is where I'm starting to feel it drag more. The first case playing as Mia in the past was a great intro, but the subsequent cases have just been missing that certain something. Some of the characters are offputting in uncomfortable ways and the silliness is getting a bit convoluted even in a game that had used a parrot as a witness in past cases or had a serial killer testify via walkie talkie.

That said, still great overall and this has easily been a Top 5 gaming experience this year.

Finished Trials and Tribulations. The ending was mission was just great. Very satisfying. Glad because it was as I said the game was starting to drag in parts. High highs but definitely feeling a combination of fatigue from playing all three backtoback and the third one not being as consistently strong as the first two.

Getting to play Mia's cases to learn about the past was brilliant. Mia rules and every time she shows up I am bummed out that she died in the beginnibg of the first game lol. Also... getting to play as Miles Edgeworth in part of the final mission was inspired.

Great game series. Not gonna dislodge any rankings but affirmed as No. 4. I'm gonna take a break from AA games but look forward to playing the other collections.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
also i wish the series would stop putting Detective Gumshoe further and further into poverty. the man is a gem and just once i want him to get a raise.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

FireWorksWell posted:

He does get a raise at the end of one of the games, at least. Investigations 2

it better be a big one :negative:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
:stonk: noooo at least let VG play good games. if it's the year of the PS3 shooter, then the Killzone, Resistance, and Uncharted series should be on offer. all are great! except Killzone 1 HD, skip that and stick to the PS3 proper ones.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
:hai:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Jolo posted:

Loved Obra Dinn years ago and this is similar to that but tells a story over a longer span of time. I adored this game. Unraveling the individual stories and the motivations of the characters involved was magical. I am an absolute sucker for this sort of game and this is the best of its kind if you ask me. While playing this I remember thinking, "drat, this will be hard to top" and in a year with a new Spider-Man, Diablo, Zelda, and Resident Evil (kinda), Golden Idol still stands as my favorite game of the year. It's my GOTY. It's really really good y'all.

hell yah another Golden Idol at #1 :cheers:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Captain Invictus posted:

Can we still post silly lists like top ten music tracks and stuff that won't be part of the proper listing tallies

go for it. no one is stoppin you

:justpost:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Regy Rusty posted:

I have always included dishonorable mentions and intend to continue to do so, and I include my issues with even my favorite games. The idea of this thread being positive means to not directly poo poo on other people's lists, not to never criticize anything.

yah this. i was critical of most games in my top 10.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Escobarbarian posted:

For my special list I present Top 10 Things VideoGames Said While Streaming In 2023. We only started compiling a spreadsheet of his quotes towards the end of the year, but even in that short space of time there were some real classics:

10. “You can’t be on the phone if you’re dead.”

09. “Wait, are the Yiga Clan friends with Ganon?”

08. “Am I stuck? No, I just couldn’t move.”

07. “It’s not the journey, but, uh, the, um, off-ramp.”

06. “I like the word ‘question mark’. Actually it’s two words. I like the two words ‘question marks’.”

05. “I hit him with lightning, and then I do attacks on him, and then he discharges all over me.”

04. “22 is more than 20, isn’t it? Let me think. 20…..plus 1, plus 2, is 22.”

03. “I don’t wanna be gimp bones!”

02. “Y’s not a vowel! A, O, U, I…….and something.”

01. “You can’t hurt hot with hot. Spikes no to plasma.”

Thank you to veeg for running the thread solo this year and also for his streams being a consistent highlight of my week for over three years now. Also hey why not check out the veeg stream highlight videos I made here and here!

quoted for posterity

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Curse of the Golden Idol cracked the Top 15 in an immensely stacked year. very blessed. loving love that game

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Vikar Jerome posted:

PS3 is forever

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

TriffTshngo posted:

PS3 can't be retro because retro gaming is good, and the PS3/360 generation was bad.

bad to skip... because it was good.

some weird rear end game takes itt

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
we can get to 69. peeps can post more 2024 gaming resolutions

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
2024 is gonna be year of nintendo for me.

so far i have these 10 games slated to be played:
- Luigi's Mansion 3
- SMTV
- SMTIII: Nocturne HD (on Switch)
- Mario Odyssey
- Golf Story
- Xenoblade 2
- FFXII (also Switch version)
- Bowser's Fury
- Captain Toad
- Mario RPG

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

fridge corn posted:

Oops I have already failed :(

what have u playd?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Rarity posted:

240 posts we can do it folks :ssj:

:hai:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Owl Inspector posted:

Luigi’s mansion 3 was way better than I expected it to be, I was assuming it would be on the level of “cute diversion” but it turns out it’s legitimately great and packed with attention to detail. Play it coop if you can, it’s more fun to have a gooigi with you tearing up the environments

There’s one room in the arboretum where you get chainsaws and we reduced every last fragment of material in that room to splinters just because it was fun

this will actually be the first new game i get through this year! been playing it the last couple of weeks. agreed that it's really well done and way deeper than i thought it'd be. i love that it's basically Luigi in the Ghostbusters hotel scene for an entire game.

i have sometimes found the puzzles ubtuse and the combat finicky but thank gently caress each floor is different, so if i'm crashing on one section yhe next one will be better. low points so far have been the entire pyramid level, all of B2, and that loving cat ghost ahhh. high points have been basically the first five/six floors... just perfect progression. also finding the gems has been fun. almost always satisfying. finding boos is lond of a bore... and i wish you could spend money on gooft costumes or something. the ingame economy isnt very fun considering how much dough Luigi winds up rolling in.

on King Boo at the moment. sharp ramp up in difficulty. this guy keeps kicking my rear end and i am using up so many bones when prior to this i used... like... only one.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
your welcom

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
so glad to see more people gonna get into Curse of the Golden Idol. hope this means we see The Rites of the Golden Idol blow up!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Jay Rust posted:

It’s « case »

everyone knows by now right? there couldnt possibly be anyone saying the wrong title