Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAR CRASH CRACKERS
Jan 13, 2008

commemorative spoons and tiny personalized license plates: the regalia of tourism

Owl Inspector posted:

disqualify ascending order lists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAR CRASH CRACKERS
Jan 13, 2008

commemorative spoons and tiny personalized license plates: the regalia of tourism
I hate writing :mad:

This year sucked rear end in every respect other than video games.
Here's ten I played and three I didn't:
  • Game I Didn't Get To But I Know It's Going To Rule:
    CYBERPUNK 2077 2.1: PHANTOM LIBERTY

Didn't want to rush it or any of the other games that came out during the last third of the year.
    CP77 has already proved itself to be one of my favorite games of all time, can't wait for it to get even better-er-er :hehe:

• Game What Came Out In December:
    WARHAMMER 40,000: ROGUE TRADER

And also it's an Owlcat game, so you should probably let it sit in the oven for another 6 months anyway

Looking forward to this so much; don't know anything about the 40K setting beyond the memes.
    Prediction: My fancy space noblelady with her insane space combat yacht will pathetically simp over the extremely uninterested 7ft hobo space elf babe who sleeps on her space couch and calls her 'mon-keigh'(derisively affectionate), while my battle nun chum fantasizes about shooting us both in the back of the head and setting our corpses on fire.

• Game I Need To Dust Off My Switch For:
    THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: TEARS OF THE KINGDOM

Watching Video Games play through Breath of the Wild reminded me how much I loved it. If TotK is just BotW++ I'll be very happy.
    Know what I'm definitely not happy about? The chintzy crackerjack pieces of poo poo that are joycons. Went ahead and bought a pro controller with Christmas cash.
    Hope I don't regret it!

• Top Ten:

10. TAILS OF IRON (2021) PS4

Got this via PS+ after a year or more of being tempted to buy it on sale.
    You play as a mouse prince trying to rebuild/defend his kingdom from frogs, bugs, and other small critters.
    Has a 2d scrolling block, dodge, parry system that could be described as *sigh* 'soulslike'.
    Setting took a bit of a swerve when I met the molesheviks.

09. ALAN WAKE REMASTERED (2021) PS4

Played this when everyone was going goo-goo over the sequel.
    It has a kinda goofy, manic energy to it... like, I don't know, the author was desperately trying to quickly write the protagonist out of a pickle while someone else was simultaneously loving with the script.
    Surprised at how much I enjoyed exploring the environments and finding all the thermoses/stacked cans/weird tvs/ect (infinitely respawning enemies sections gently caress off).

oh goddamnit!

Think i might replay it on Nightmare to collect all the manuscript pages and the loving thermoses.
    High beaming enemies in the face to stun them with the flashlight never got old.
    Wish I had played this before the AWE Control dlc.

08. POWERWASH SIMULATOR (2022) PS5

Daddy needs her dings.

07. DARK SOULS 2: SCHOLAR OF THE FIRST SIN (2015) PS4

ImpAtom posted:

But what would Dark Souls 2 be doing on a list in 2023?
    Sitting at number 7, that's what!
    This is the first fromsoft I've played where I went,'You know what? I'm good' at an end game optional boss blue smelter demon
    Is the soulsborne sheen wearing off(I've played Demon's Souls, Bloodborne, Darksouls, Elden Ring, and Sekiro all within the last ~2.5 years), or is this just the least of a series of very good games? I think the halberd move set feeling like poo poo compared to DS, DS, and ER soured me a little on it. No I will not use a different weapon.
    Dunno, but I'll play Darksouls 3 in 2024 and find out.
    Enjoyed the fairy tale vibe, something none of the other games have, and the wintery DLC is one of my favorite fromsoft areas of all time.
    The way your character gets progressively grosser the more you die is really funny.

06. HORIZON FORBIDDEN WEST: BURNING SHORES (2023) PS5

Aloy finally gets to be as gay as I always assumed she was.

05. UNPACKING (2021) PS4

i pack/unpack by putting all my poo poo on my bed in real life too

There's a moving(heh) story here about growing up and changing, but honestly I was in it for the hardcore underwear draw organizing.
    I forgot to take a screenshot, but there was this one item in the game I could not tell what the gently caress it was supposed to be. It looked kinda like one of those squares with wheels you would gently caress around with during elementary school PE, but it was a kitchen item? What the hell was that????

04. DARKEST DUNGEON 2 (2023) PC

the crit queen returns! just needs a lil' splash of rabies...

Not quite as addictive/grindy as the first, I've only put 70 hours into it compared to 270, but just as fun.
    Also, it looks amazing? Holy poo poo, I really liked the art of DD1 but the weird proportions are a little hard to look at after being spoiled by DD2.
    I hope it's been successful, and we'll continue to get old friends returning as DLC.
    Crossing my fingers for the Shieldbreaker and Abomination to show up next, with a mosquito vampire biome in tow.

03. WEBBED (2021) PS4

Someone put this on their GOTY list in 2022 and I made a dumb internet face and immediately bought it. Thank you to whoever that was, I loved it.
    It's a... physics platformer? Is that a thing? Don't know, but I took immense pleasure in learning how to slingshot my little spiderself up and over things. Also swinging across things, using leaves as parachutes to gently float around, and assisting comrade ant with some moderate webgineering (while wearing a tiny hardhat of course, safety first!).
    I'm underselling the poo poo out of this Maya the Bee-rear end game because I'm tired and sick of writing, but if collecting wolf spider babies that are then shown crawling all over your body until you turn them in to their mama, or making mostly optional elaborate web bridges that trivialize level traversal is appealing to you go ahead and spend the ~$15 and give this a shot.
    If I had played this in november instead of january it would probably be ranked 2.

02. ALAN WAKE 2 (2023) PS5

I am so excited for Control 2 after playing this. Actually, I'm just kinda excited for Remedy period. I bought Quantum Break!
    Twin Peaks: The Return: The Video Game

01. BALDUR'S GATE 3 (2023) PC

me and the girls, 120 hours in, still haven't reached baldur's gate

CAR CRASH CRACKERS posted:

My most anticipated game of 2023 is Baldur's Gate 3 :hehe:

Would probably shift to Factions 2 if Naughty Dog would just release anything about the gameplay.
    Uh, ignoring the second part of that post (:cry:), it feels so good to get hype as gently caress over something and then have it not only deliver on the hype but transcend it. I love the originals and I love this one just as much. Perhaps... even more? :prepop:

Here's something super minor in game that made me laugh:

What's going on? Well, I saved this sex worker from something nasty (ignore that I caused something nasty to happen by barging into the room uninvited) and she offered me some weird mindsex poo poo as a reward. Me and all my companions close their eyes, scene cuts to the sw, cuts back to me- all the companions have their eyes open and look vaguely disappointed. They weren't included! BG3 is chock-a-block with little things like that.

Anyway, I'm going to bed. Play Baldur's Gate 3. Then play it again so you can appreciate the massive amount of poo poo you missed and all the weird little variations accounted for.

CAR CRASH CRACKERS
Jan 13, 2008

Games I bought because of this thread:
Elsinore
Frail Hearts: Versicorae Domlion
Producer 2021
Slay the Princess
Midnight Suns

Games I put on my wishlist to buy in the future because of this thread:
Against the Storm
Infernax
A Space for the Unbound
The Cosmic Wheel Sisterhood
Endless Dark
Misericorde Vol 1
The Case of the Golden Idol
Little Goody Two Shoes

These games look really neat, thank you to everyone who posted about them!

CAR CRASH CRACKERS
Jan 13, 2008

Playing Tears of the Kingdom right now, shockingly not regretting the $140 I had to spend for the game+pro controller.

Will be on my 2024 list for sure :hehe:

CAR CRASH CRACKERS
Jan 13, 2008

this is why we can't have :nice: things