Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I'm gonna do my writeup tomorrow but I have Fifty! games on my list and it's not even everything I played this year. And it's a ton of bangers.

Just for a small teaser, final fantasy 2 pixel remaster is at the bottom of the list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

50:Final Fantasy II

49:Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2

48:Mirror's Edge Catalyst

47:Final Fantasy I

46:Xing: The Land Beyond

45:The Entropy Centre

44:Ghostwire: Tokyo

43:Wipeout 2048

42:Knack

41:Sonic Frontiers

40:Like a Dragon: Ishin!

39:Voice of Cards: The Isle Dragon Roars

38:Forspoken

37:Honkai Star Rail

36:Endling: Extinction is Forever

35:Oxenfree

34:Untitled Goose Game

33:Sackboy: A Big Adventure

32:Furi

31:The Dark Pictures Anthology: The Devil in Me

30:Knack II

29:Final Fantasy IV

28:Live a Live

27:Severed

26:Cult of the Lamb

25:We Love Katamari Reroll+ Royal Reverie

24:Horizon Forbidden West: Burning Shores

23:Ninja Gaiden Sigma

22:Psychonauts 2

21:The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

20:Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII - Reunion

19:Humanity

18:Like a Dragon Gaiden: The Man Who Erased His Name

17:Super Mario Wonder

16:Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty

15:Hitman 3

14:Final Fantasy XVI

13:Disco Elsyium

12:Citizen Sleeper

11:Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective

10:Sayonara Wild Hearts

What can I say? This music game just really impressed me and touched me a little bit. It was fun going after all the trophies/achievements as I had to replay the various stages in different ways. I have never played a music game as well put together and visually impress me as much as this did.

9:The Surge

Okay, finally, I played a souls-like that was getting close to as fun as the original From Software games. The sci-fi settings were great, but I will admit the gameplay is a little stiffer than it should be, and the level layouts is really confusing at first. Can’t wait to play Surge 2 and Lies of P next year as my next souls-like adventures.

8:Resident Evil 4 (2023)

Of course, one of the best horror games got a straight up remake, and looks and plays better. Easy win here. Keep in mind, I’m a sucker for horror and scifi as you go down my list.

7:The Talos Principle 2

Okay so if you remember Talos Principle 1? Great little puzzle game. Well, it just got better. The environments are amazing to walk around and look at. The puzzles do feel more balanced and fair. Story is just as good, if not, even better. I honestly love it more than the first game

6:Blasphemous

So The Surge, impressed me with how much I had fun with a sci-fi souls-like. Well here’s a 2d Spanish Castlevania-Souls-like. And I loved it! Great bosses, and I did all the trophies as well. It was really fun to do the challenge of beating every boss without using my healing flasks.

5:Marvel's Spider-Man 2

And here we are, probably the best PS5 exclusive that people have been waiting for. 2018’s Spider-Man captured the attention and hearts of millions, and we’re back with a duo of Peter Parker and Miles Morales as Spider-Mens. I won’t touch too much on the story, because I think it’s best experienced, but let me tell you, they have the best portrayal of some familiar plot-lines executed before in the comics/movies. This game is worth your time.

4:Signalis

ACHTUNG! SCHWERER AUSNAHMEFEHLER! Survival horror makes a big comeback in Signalis. It is a top-down game but it plays very similar to hardcore survival horror games like the original RE1. The visuals in this game were insanely creative and the atmosphere was incredibly tense. I think this is worth your time if you love sci-fi horror games.

3:Alan Wake II

Initiation 4. That should be all that needs to be said. But look, I enjoyed 2010’s Alan Wake 1 and I have been waiting for over a decade for this. And it did not let me down. Let me start off by saying this isn’t that impressive of a game, but it is an impressive experience. If you’re a tv series fan, especially of stuff like Twin Peaks, you own it to yourself to experience AW2. Sam Lake has done it again and I cannot wait for more in the Remedyverse!

2:Dead Space (2023)

Remember how I said I loved sci-fi and horror? Well here’s one of my favorite games of all time, from 2008. They just took it and made it better in every single way. It controls better, it looks better, it plays better, it’s more tense, it’s even got a bit of added content and fleshes it out more. There is no reason to play the original anymore.

1:Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon

And now we arrive at #1. Last year, Elden Ring won GOTY and I’m hoping From Software does a double-header and AC6 wins GoTY this year. From Software has taken one of their oldest franchises and finally created a new modern entry (their last one was from 2013!). And oh boy, this plays amazingly well and has even more fun bosses and looks great and the environments are a wonder to behold, and I think even Souls-like vets will find some enjoyment in playing AC:VI.

But I will end this by saying I am probably the forum’s biggest From Software fan and that is why, without question, I nominate Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon as my number 1 game I played in 2023.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Here's the tool

RANKING ENGINE: https://www.pubmeeple.com/ranking-engine

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

One of the things I like about trophies is I can go view my profile on a website and go back in time and figure out what I played/finished between now and last December. Then it's fun just throwing it all (I've played over 100 games but I kept it to a top 50) into ranking engine and see how the sort gets it.

As a fun thing, I 100%/got the platinum for 40 out of 50 games on my list. It's been an amazing year.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I hope you guys don't mind but Polygon did a top 50 and I think it's well worth a read

https://www.polygon.com/23648669/best-video-games-2023

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I love how many people are voting Talos 2.

It has exceeded the original in every way possible (except average puzzle difficulty and that's not a bad thing IMHO)

I'm actually replaying the first on steam deck and I can say I hate how much they use the mines/sentries in it. It's so annoying and auto fails you back to the start of the whole puzzle.

In talos 2, you can almost never fail and have to restart. You can almost never get completely stuck and even if you do there a restore checkpoint function

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Issaries posted:

:yeah: It is a rookie mistake to post your list too early as there's still 3 weeks of gaming time to knock out few GOTY candidates.

I mean I just run my calendar from December of last year to November of this year so I still get 12 months of activity

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Hell yes another person voting for AC6 as number one. We might have a shot at getting in the top numbers!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I think paradise killer was on my list last year.

I liked the game a lot, I even got the platinum on it twice.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I really was worried talos principle 2 was going to get overlooked because of all the amazing games that came out this year but I see plenty of folks with it in their top ten!

And yeah I really think the harshest criticism you can have on that game is the average puzzle difficulty is easier which isn't a bad thing. It's more easily enjoyable by a larger audience!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Owl Inspector posted:

I initially thought the puzzle difficulty might be a bit too low compared to the first game but with 132 of them to get through I think it’s good you breeze through some of them or the game would feel exhausting by the end. the gold puzzles definitely had a lot of the original difficulty and a couple of them took me a good half hour to figure out so the game still isn’t exactly easy.

Yeah absolutely agreed, if you really miss that original difficulty, just go for 100%, and it'll be exactly what you wanted.

Like the statues, and gold and yeah.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Awesome, another person where signalis ranked very high for them!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Yes, more points for Armored Core 6! I hope it'd got a good chance of ending up in top five, maybe even top 3 (we know bg3 and totk are going to be in top three for sure)

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I believe in you BP.

Just put armored Core 6 at number 1 it obviously belongs there.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Really great list BP. I'm glad so many variety of videogames exists to entertain and be enjoyed by many people like the year of the jrpg fan, to the dude on a memory journey, to the trophy hunter, to the challenge seekers.

This goty thread is really interesting to see what kind of people put together lists like these.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I actually enjoyed infinite warfare a lot too. It was a great scifi campaign.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Signalis got a big quality of life update recently with lots of accessibility options

Including expanding your inventory (the number 1 problem people have with signalis)

It's worth a try at this point especially if you love survival horror or games that are unique artistically.

Anyways year, loved how many times Armored Core 6 showed up. Hopefully Armored Core gets lots more future games!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I may not have read every single word but I've read every game title everyone posted so basically I've read at least every single list itself.

Partly because I'm always looking for more games to play, fill up my wishlist and get mroe games to get more trophies in. Bring it on!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Top games I'm looking forward to finishing/playing in 2024:

Lunacid
Zero Ranger
Void Stranger
Like A Dragon Infinite Wealth
Persona 3 reload
Dragon's Dogma 2
Black Myth Wukong
Final Fantasy 7 rebirth
Apollo Justice Collection
Lies of P
Baldur's Gate 3
Rise of the Ronin
Octopath Traveler 2

This won't even be half the games I play

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I for one, can't wait to see Armored Core VI get goty and make it like what, the third win for from software?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

Also it's way too late to update my list but I really wish I had put Ghostrunner 2 on it instead of Aliens Dark Descent but I didn't start it until last week. Way better game than Aliens though.

There's always 2024 list!

That's why I make it simple for myself and cut it off in November so I do a Dec-Nov 12 month period.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Manoueverable posted:

Frankly, if anything people were a lot colder on TotK than I expected. Wouldn't be surprised if it barely made top 3, there's a lot of ballots that didn't list any Nintendo games at all but still highly rated BG3, Alan Wake, Armored Core, etc.

Even if people were colder on totk than expected, it still got in a lot of people's top three so it'll have a good shot at top 3.

Realistically I very much expect armored Core 6, totk, Alan Wake 2 and bg3 in top 5. How the order goes is gonna be interesting.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Impressive it snuck in there despite being two years old and no significant updates.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Neon white is also on my backlog! Maybe I'll finally get to it in 2024.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I'm gonna get around to finishing metroid prime remastered one day. I'm just stuck at that long phazon mines section.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I heard so much about star ocean 2 r, definitely waiting for a good sale on it!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Hey this was in my top ten last year, love that people are still discovering it.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I am so ready to play remnant 2 this year. Just waiting for all dlc to come out.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Never even heard of this rpg. That's why I follow threads like these, I discover so many games.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Somehow I have not (given a good try) played hollow knight. I'll fix it one day.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Nail Rat posted:

Hollow Knight is on my proverbial short (very long) list. Hopefully this is the year.

Yeah tell me about it. I do own a copy of hollow knight but it is on a list of games I intend to play and that list is currently 178 games long.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I was one of the first people to platinum live a live. Love it so much!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I liked who long a lot but yeah didn't even make my top ten. It's a very decent team ninja game but doesn't reach the highs of nioh.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Loved citizen sleeper. I think it would have made my top ten but I played way too many good games.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Hey I think that's my first quote!

Just FYI this game recent a patch very recently that solves a lot of issues many people had with this game, like the limited inventory space.

I beat this game mere weeks before that patch.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

So loving hyped for LIKE A DRAGON INFINITE WEALTH later this month

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Gaiden is like a must play especially if you've been playing the entire series from 0-6

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Escobarbarian posted:

Quite surprised Gaiden didn’t rank higher. What other surprises do we have to come!!!!!

Too many games coming out, people waiting for sales.

It's a mistake. You need to play lad gaiden before doing infinite wealth!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Cocoon is on my wishlist, just need a good sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I've got this on my steam deck. Gonna give it a go one day.