Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
I reread my pre-post list and realized that I had forgotten both Armored Core 6 and The Roottrees are Dead so I'm gonna have to go in for another try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

morallyobjected posted:

the same people not including FF16 are also anarchists who don't read the rules post, so I'm not worried

Spoiler: Final Fantasy XVI is currently number 11 on my list.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Ms Adequate posted:

Rarity has betrayed us... she has absconded from her sacred duties... woe! Woe, rack and ruin, alas and alack for the world is fallen!

I've got the list of potentials for this mostly finished (Couple of things I've yet to play that I would like to though, so not ready to begin the Winnowing just yet) but drat I'm not sure how I'm gonna decide on the order.

I think there was a tool someone linked last year where you enter a list and then it keeps presenting to options and makes you choose which is better until it's finished ordering the list for you.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Honorable Mentions:
Moonring
This free game is an Ultima-like with psychedelic coloring. Was I drawn to psychedelic coloring this year, or did this just became a popular style this year?

Cocoon
This is a puzzle game about jumping in and out of different worlds. The puzzles in the game are good, but after completing Patrick's Parabox, I sort of spent the entire game waiting to get to the 85% point. (When you beat the game it shows you a timeline of all the puzzles and let's you jump back, that's how I know it was exactly 85%)

Shadows of Loathing
It's an rpg by the people who made Kingdom of Loathing. You should know whether you want to buy it now, I don't need to say more.

Persona 5 Tactica
The art is super cute, and fits the game well. The one more system just didn't feel as good as I was hoping, since you usually have to setup a down, and flanking targets in cover doesn't work like I expected.

Stray
I believe we have the technology to improve our cat simulations, but this is a noble start.

Final Fantasy XVI
My biggest problem with the plot of this game is that you start in a Game of Thrones world and then you personally murder most of the interesting characters. Also, I'm really bad at character action games.

Dungeon Encounters
If you watch the trailer for this game you will know if you are in the audience for this game. I am. I beat it for the third time this year.
Do you want to play a game where the main goal of the game is to step on every tile in the game? Do you want to play a game where if you have 700 gold, and the ememy steal 1000 gold from you, you have -300 gold? Do you want to play a game where one of your powers is to jump across the map like a chess knight? Dungeon Encounters.

10) Chants of Sennaar
Chants of Sennaar is a game about understanding. This is a game where you deduce a series of word based languages based on interacting with written runes and the people who speak the languages. I found the bright colors in the art really distinct and appealing, and the conlang puzzles were great, but I thought some of the other puzzles were a bit weak. Fortunately, the respawn is really generous in the stealth sections.

9) [Metro] Quester
Quester, or Metro Quester depending on whether the author had realized that "Quester" is way too generic a name when he released the game on your platform, is a game about how you use the tools you have at the moment.
This is a top down survival dungeon crawling game where you dig your way through Tokyo metro underground looking for treasures from before the world was destroyed. The completely bonkers art style combines top down nearly monochrome sprite based dungeon crawling, with character art jpgs and photographs of camera drones? The turn based combat has you choosing between character abilities and abilities attached to your weapons, which range between guns or drones, to vacuum cleaners that have been juryrigged into flamethrowers or spears that have medical syringes attached to the end. It's easy to say that I have never played a game like this before.

8) Bloodborne
Bloodborne is a game about how the real monster is man... I don't have to explain Bloodborne to you.
Anyway, I decided to use Bloodborne as a de-stress game late this year, and I ended up beating queen Yharnam while doing so, so I just decided to platinum it because nothing was going to be as hard as beating Defiled Chalice Amygdala.

7) Advance Wars 1 + 2: Reboot Camp
Advance Wars is a game about, well, the plot of Advance Wars isn't very meaningful. Advance Wars is a game about smashing toy tanks together.
Really a classic of the strategy genre, it relies strongly on the painstakingly balanced units, because I certainly forgot how much bullshit was in these campaigns. Anyway, WayForward's art style to revamp this one is great, if you can handle the 3Dification of the units. Versus mode, aka the real game, is as good as ever, and the design room is ever so slightly better than the originals.

6) Armored Core 6: Fires of Rubicon
Armored Core 6 is also a game about smashing toy tanks, but this time while piloting a giant robot.
I'm very bad at shootmans, so I appreciate that this game aims for you, so I can concentrate on moving and when to pull the trigger. It is impossible to describe how good it feels to plow through a stack of cargo containers with an 18 foot roller skating robot. I love the intricacies of putting different parts together to make your robot move and fight better for different missions.

5) The Roottrees are Dead
The Rootrees are Dead, I'm sorry, did you mean to spell that Roottrees? The Roottrees are Dead is a game about family.
Since 2018 I have been seeking deduction games like The Return of the Obra Dinn. This one is about using online resources to piece together a family tree, it uses a lot of the same solution structure as Obra Dinn, but I found it to be considerably more straight forward than the Case of the Golden Idol because you are able to use a text based interegation method. The style evokes the setting very well.

4) Hitman: world of Assassination
World of Assassination is a game about finding the funniest way to kill someone. I've praised this series in the past for being the perfect systemic stealth puzzle, and now they have expanded into a version where nearly any NPC could randomly be chosen as your target. Previously one of my favorite features was the story system where you could play out a specific plot to kill a target, but if you have reached a certain level of competence with the system being forced to improvise your assassinations on the fly can be even more of a delight.

3) Super Mario Bros Wonder
Super Mario Bros Wonder is a game about, get this, wonder. The 2d Mario design team took all of the most popular level styles from Mario Maker and pushed them way beyond anything that could be made with that toolset. They added powerups that were even more enjoyable than average and enemies different than anything seen before. They overhauled all of the animations filling the world with style. And then the dumped a bucket full of whimsy on top. I haven't even gotten to the implementation of soulslike multiplayer assist elements. Is this the best 2D Mario ever? Well, much like my GOTY list, it's certainly in the Top 3.

morallyobjected posted:

(in retrospect, it's amazing that Nintendo catered to chubby chasers and inflation fetishists with this game)

You can try to kinkshame Nintendo, but you won't succeed.

2) Pikmin 4
Pikmin 4 is a laid back game about efficiency. It doesn't seem like this should be possible, but despite the goal being to do things as fast as you can, you can really take it at the pace you want. It lets you wind the clock back and modify your strategy to puzzles, and there's a lot of choice of items and skills this time. This is my first Pikmin game and I really enjoyed it.

1) The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Tears of the Kingdom is a game about playing with legos. Everything in Breath of the Wild has been taken past it's limits in seemingly impossible ways. Remember how big the world seemed? Now, perhaps as there originally should have been, there are caves. And islands in the sky. And an underworld that is an inverted duplicate of the original map. Remember having to climb for five minutes, and then it started raining? Now you can jump into the floor and pop all the way to the top of the cliff. Remember stopping objects in time? Now you can reverse time. Remember being worried about your weapons breaking? Now they, um, break less. Look, it's an important sub system. You get to reinforce the weapons with materials you get from enemies, which actually incentivizes you to fight now, and the fighting is pretty fun. Remember speeding across the land on your horse? Well gently caress horses.* Now, you can build a flying robot drone you can drive around that blows up your horse with a laser cannon!

*Do not tell the god of horses that I said this.

Helpful short list:
10) Chants of Sennaar
9) [Metro] Quester
8) Bloodborne
7) Advance Wars 1 + 2: Reboot Camp
6) Armored Core 6: Fires of Rubicon
5) The Roottrees are Dead
4) Hitman: world of Assassination
3) Super Mario Bros Wonder
2) Pikmin 4
1) Tears of the Kingdom

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Dec 5, 2023

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Lisztless posted:

4. Valkyrie Profile

Pictured: spiritual concentration

Is this the first time you've played Valkyrie Profile?

God, I love this thread.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Sally posted:

mods plz change Metis of the Hallway's name to "a goon in the chat thread"

Metis of the Chat Thread

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

fridge corn posted:

24. Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster – 1987, 2023, Square/Square Enix. Composer: Nobuo Uematsu
Time played: 15 hours
Completed: platinum

The OG. Played this game in several of its iterations over the years but this was the first time I actually completed it. The orchestrations are excellent. A remaster that leaves nothing to be desired.

As this is a thread about being positive about video games, I'll try not to put to fine a point on this.
If you have an unreasonable knowledge of the gameplay of any of these games I would strongly recommend against playing the pixel remaster versions, because of the bug fixes and improvements made to them.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Is there any evidence that The Gunk is inspired by “Todd’s adventure in Slime World?” Maybe they’re nothing alike, that’s just what it made me think of.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Tempura Wizard posted:

2023 – The Year of the (Arcade) Rat

The greatest achievement of these years was not my degree, but winning back-to-back high score contests on Vs. Dr. Mario

Here's an unusual question. What's the best strategy to improve my score at Dr. Mario as a casual player? I genuinely have no idea how to bridge from single elimination into combos.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Tempura Wizard posted:

Combos are the best way to improve score, as scoring for eliminations increase exponentially with each successive chain in the combo.

My best advice is: don’t be afraid to stack up a lot of vitamins, so long as it’s not putting you in danger of topping out. Higher order combos (four or five) are gonna look really janky. The easiest way to combo is to look for viruses further down the board where you can make a little shelf higher up, and then stack what you need to clear the stuff down below on that shelf. Then clear half the vitamin that makes up the shelf (ideally clearing a virus in the process), sending the pile on the overhang down to clear the viruses below.
Even better if you can build a similar shelf on the area below and chain these two shelves together for even more clears.

In the higher levels and at high speed you’ll need to thin the board out with singles in order to safely do this, keep an eye for keeping some viruses alive further up in order to make your shelves.

I probably didn’t explain this well, let me know and I can take some screen caps later.

Thanks, that makes sense, but screen caps would also help.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Regy Rusty posted:

Tactics Ogre Reborn – It didn’t even feel like there were any tactical decisions to be made during the fights. It was just balls of stats and hugely inflated HP pools bashing against each other on generally dull and uninspired maps from start to finish.

Hmm, I'm not sure why I felt this way as well. The game has a bunch of cool classes and abilities that are almost completely unique to it. I set my guy up to do a cool thing and I take him into combat, and they do the cool thing and I melt into a bored puddle.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Tulip posted:

4. Get in the Carl Loser: The Fate of Another World

I think this is misspelled but I would also be fascinated to play a game called "Get in the Carl, Loser".

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

vogonity posted:

8. Cobalt Core - Steam Deck

The Ugly: Foolishly thinking I can take on the shopkeeper.

Remember to apologize next loop.

This one’s gonna be on my list next year for sure.

e: I also think I have been convinced to get Alan Wake 2.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Dewgy posted:

Atari 50: Atari’s older games don’t entirely hold up, but this is more of a documentary collection with games in it than anything else, and it’s a lot of fun to comb through it and check out all the artwork, history, and interviews that they put together for it.

My favorite interview is the one where Al Alcorn confirms the famous 'broken Pong cabinet' rumor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Looking forward to Ron Gilbert's upcoming deduction game, "The Case of Money Island"