Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
:lol: at notable games list excluding the no.1 selling game of the 2023.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
How do we deal with expansions and stuff?

I replayed cyberpunk 2077, when it got the expansion Phantom Liberty. Does just listing the base game cover both the game and expansion or are they separate entries?

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Goa Tse-tung posted:

I need to find my post, disregard. Can't believe I played a new game that changes my list.

:yeah: It is a rookie mistake to post your list too early as there's still 3 weeks of gaming time to knock out few GOTY candidates.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Walh Hara posted:

5) Humankind

I bet a lot of people won't believe me, but the updates made this game really good.

I'm happy to hear it got improved. I tried it back in the day, but my game interest fizzled out during middle-ages.
We need more great Civ-clones, because Civ ain't doing so great.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Honorable Mentions from this year:
(Any of these could have been listed for 8-15)
Final Fantasy XVI
Hi-Fi Rush
Horizon: Forbidden West – Burning Shores
Yakuza: Ishin
Like a Dragon Gaiden: The Man Who Erased His Name

Older games I also played and enjoyed this year
(I didn’t want to include older games in 2023 game list):
Witcher 3: Remake
Psychonauts 2
The Longest Journey
McPixel 3
The Excavation of Hob’s Barrow
Hitman 1-3
Resident Evil 3 Remake
Her Story
The Sinking City
Remember Me

--

10. Deliver Us Mars
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwV0RcqbfIA
(Rtx demo reel)
Sequel to Deliver Us Moon. Basically it is a walking sim with light puzzles and climbing, but you’re walking IN SPACE and ON MARS.
It looks really pretty with ray tracing, thus the money shot trailer for the RTX tech.
Had really fun time just walking and exploring.

--

9. Resident Evil 4 – Remake
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwHP2bDhkeo
(just cool music)
I haven’t played the original, but I’ve been rediscovering the series since the RE7 and RE8 were such great survival horror games.
Playing the RE2 and RE3 remakes for the first time didn’t prepare me for this.
Early parts up to the first village is very survivalist feeling, but after that the horror takes 2nd place to action gameplay.
Which is fun too, but I would have liked little more survival horror too.
Great action game and 4th best of the series after 7, 8 and 2.

--

8. Hogwarts Legacy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Io-LxofgGk
(Just walking around the hogwart in 4k)
a Perfect fan product for all the fans. I have only read the first 3 books back in the day, when they came out (so 20+ years ago),
but Hogwarts Academy feels so fully realized and perfectly designed. Lot of little details and things to explore in a smallish space.
Early parts exploring in the academy and the nearby village would have been 10/10 game
and be a GOTY contender in any other year and maybe 5th in this year, but rest of the game doesn’t hold up to this.
When the world opens up with you getting a broom it turns more into a boiler plate Ubisoft open world game with repetitive side activities and less detailed areas.

--

7. Six Ages 2: Lights Going Out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhnY1PkQUMw
(The Game Trailer)
Intra-apocalyptic clan management and choose-your-adventure game. Your gods are dying and so is the world.
This is bit harder game to play than previous one, but managing lives of your clan is still fun.
The kingdom you built in the last game is gone, but some of your clan members still cling on to your past glories,
including your “king” that can rule your clan or be sidelined outside the ruling ring.
Glorantha is such a fun world to play as there is no single truth or right answer. Plenty of wrong ones of course.

--

6. Dead Island 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7sNX-aHX98
(Just music from game)
Blast from past!. OG Dead Island was such a fun zombie shooter/slasher game and this ain’t different. Literally!
Dead Island 2 is a retro-style game, except retro here means Xbox 360 era gaming. No open worlds, there’s levels with sidepaths and crossroads.
You can and will return to levels with side missions and sometimes with main mission, but they are separate maps.
There’s plenty of zombies to kill and they have enough variation to keep killing them fun. And if you don’t want to fight,
you can usually just run where you want to go and leave the zombies behind. (except runners. gently caress those guys.)
Weapon customization is back and fun. Plenty ways to tune your melee and later on your guns.
And weapons feel really nice to use. Lot of cool splatter style stuff.
Campaign is about 20 hour long, which is good for this kind of game. Story wasn't anything special, but did its job to move the zombie train along. Survivors were mostly good.

--

5. Rogue Trader
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5R0oN00ODE
(Just main theme)
Rogue Trader is such a hot mess right now. Lot of broken stuff and unbalanced skill and abilities. Just like in any other Owlcat game.
Definitely playable and god drat fun.
You play as a Rogue trader, a ruler of a tiny empire of multiple planets. Lot of fun combat and exploration of the Koronus Expanse and little things to find.
Some of them are just mini notes or choose your adventure stories, some of them are full on away mission.
The world design in this game is just right. It really feels like Warhammer 40k kinda brutal dystopia.
You can play as a good guy (nobody except plebs like these), bad guy (Aka Imperium of the mankind) or the worst guy (aka Chaos heretic).
I’m still in middle of the chapter 4, but still having a blast.

--

4. Jagged Alliance 3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5t09aNdl18c
(feature trailer)
Jagged alliance is back :neckbeard:!
Jagged Alliance 2 was such a classic tactical combat game. You managed a group of mercenaries to liberate a fictional country from the rule of *bad guy*.
You’re doing that too in JA3.
This time in a country of Grand Chien, a francophone African country that had its President deposed and kidnapped by the Legion. a group of local militants.
On strategic level you choose which way to send your squad(s) and which sectors you liberate first.
Usually the important routes, Military post, cities and mines are guarded by enemy soldiers.
On Tactical level you fight the enemies on a turn based combat. Combat system is really fun in that you can exploit enemy weaknesses
and the fact that you choose where to take contact with them.
Also the mercs. All the Mercs in the game are unique and have fun personalities and their own likes and dislikes.
M.D was my early medic, because I liked him, not because he was a good merc. He couldn’t hit barn from medium distance with his pistol!
Fidel I liked too. Such a A-grade psychopath with automatic guns, but he didn’t like how I did my attacks carefully, so he refused renewing his contract with me. :byewhore:
Or Steroid, who definitely wasn’t using any enhancement products. Such a patriot dummy, who really hated all the Russian mercs.
I loved all my mercs. And most of the NPC:s, who were as crazy as my mercs.

This was my GOTY in JULY.

--

3. Baldur’s Gate 3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NhaB_ycw3k
(Just a fun sketch video)
Everyone else has pretty much covered everything there is to say about this game.
Such a perfect DnD game. Complex, but also easily accessible. (Please learn from them Owlcat)
I started as a Wizard, but Gale was such a perfect amoral wizard that I rerolled into a Fighter.
So many cool places to explore, people to meet and combat. The combat was so good.
Didn’t trust the Illithids or the worms and refused them at every point. Just say no to drugs worms.
The game felt a bit too long though. 100+ hours is a bit too much, but I don’t know what to cut though.
Other than the sewers though. gently caress sewers in any game.

This was my GOTY in August.

--

2. Cyberpunk 2077 – Phantom Liberty
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJbexcm4Trk
(<3 Idris Elba)
Cyberpunk was my GOAT since its release in 2020 and I’ve been waiting for expansion since then.
First of all such inspired casting choices for the expansion. Idris Elba is such a perfect tired black-ops guy and Songbirds Minji chang too <3.
The new area of dogtown is a great neighbourhood to walk airdash around.
The main story is great diversion from the standard Cyberpunk fare to a cyberthriller/spy story.
I loved every moment of it.

Oh and the 2.0 update for the main game was fun too. Such a great rebalancing of the game mechanics and the story is still superb.

This was my GOTY in September.
Only problem was whether to count it as a whole with the main game or just consider the expansion. I ended up with latter.

--

1. ALAN WAKE II
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMmU3mZ5gBc&t=8s
(Live musical performance in game awards)

“And the award goes to ALAN WAKE (II)!”
Such an incredible experience. Survival horror with live action segments with plenty of Finnish nonsense on the top.
I’ve always been fan of Remedy games and this is their best game ever.
Survival horror games have always balanced between “Horrible combat” vs being too action.
I don’t like my horrors games to have great action. That means I’m looking forward to the next fight and not being afraid of what’s behind the corner.
AWII has ‘Horrible’ combat in that you are always almost running out of ammo and I preferred to avoid combat when possible.
That gives the survival horror games their tense feeling.

Story is a masterclass of nonsense that just makes sense.
FBI agent Saga Anderson explores the Bright Falls real mysteries, while getting drawn into the horror story bit by bit.
Meanwhile the other main character Alan Wake is exploring the nightmarish world of fictional ‘New York’, while trying to write himself back to the real world.
Mixing between these two heroes stories until they combine was so hard.
I wanted to continue Wakes journey, but I also wanted to see what Saga would do next. Such hard choices.

Oh and the live action bits. First time they’ve fully mixed live action segments and some mixes between LIVE and CGI parts.
And they work so well too.
Oh2 and the music. Music has always been a big part of the Remedy games, but here it is in front and center.
Lot of great bangers From Old Gods of Asgard (Poets of the fall) and others.
Oh3 there’s a full 20 minute Finnish live action short film in the game to watch. Those crazy Finns.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9S478Ni0wWI
(20 minute Finnish short film made for just the game)

Just finished my New Game+ run of the game called The Final Draft and it confirmed that:
Alan Wake II is my GOTY and GOAT.

--

Such a ride from the July onwards. A literal GOTY game each month, topping the previous one each month.
Or almost. Rogue Trader was “just a #5”, but in another year it could have been GOTY

TLDR list for those in hurry:
10. Deliver Us Mars
9. Resident Evil 4 – Remake
8. Hogwarts Legacy
7. Six Ages 2: Lights Going Out
6. Dead Island 2
5. Rogue Trader
4. Jagged Alliance 3
3. Baldur’s Gate 3
2. Cyberpunk 2077 – Phantom Liberty
1. Alan Wake II

edit: Added some Honorable mentions I forgot.

Issaries fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Dec 20, 2023

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

A surprise cohort of Medieval Scribes has joined the thread!

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Mr Alan Wake destroying all other GOTY contenders:

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

Ok so what game won goty?

We all did.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Top 10 Alan Wake 2 Jiffs:

10: Lets gooo

9: Meeting old friends

8: And having good time

7: There's gameplay?

6: She's going in

5: Alan Wake is srs bsz:

4: /w srs dncg

3: just Joking <3

2: Final dance off

1: And it is a wrap. Gif Of The Year 2023 is:

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Rarity posted:

Come back in 2026 if BG3 has made top 10 three years in a row and then we can start talking about it beating Disco :colbert:

ewww.

I'd rather play new awesome games every year, instead of the same one every year.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

I've never ever heard someone refer Dwarf Fortress as 'Accessible' :lmao:

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Jossar posted:

Also, double checked my list, and indeed nothing's making it to Top 60. Oh well, I remain excited to see what's here in any event.

Goons really love their jrpgs from the Japan.
Fully half of the games so far...

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

I've just started to play MTA:Sandrock and it is soo good. Huge improvement over MTA:Portia.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

All these Final Fantasies are confusing, OK?

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Ineffiable posted:

So happy many more people got to play ghost trick with the recent remaster.

:yeah:
This game was a real gem on NDS back in the day. Nice little puzzle game with heart.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Infinitum posted:

You know what? I'm finally gonna play it this year and vote it even harder

I might as well. I have it on my Steam Deck. All I need is a long trip to bust it out...

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

And it even has a demo version to try on steam!

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Lies of P(inochio) got the biggest... And I Mean Biggest rolleyes from me for the completely ridiculous use of an IP.
Worst game on that account since the Dante's Inferno.

Game itself was nice. Souls games aren't my cup, but there's free demo and I enjoyed it.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

ALAN WAKE 2 - The Finnish Story in 5 Jifs:

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Seriously! I thought Top 5 for sure.... and that's purely on buzz, I haven't even played it myself!

Regy Rusty posted:

It's because I haven't had a chance to play it yet, sorry

You're part of the problem. Get playing! :argh:

But seriously. It is a EPIC exclusive on PC, which limits its success a lot.
Also it has a bit weird game reputation, which doesn't gel with everyone. But if you like this kinda storygames, you really love it.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

FATALITY!
oops wrong game series.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

My biggest beef with Street Fighters:
Capcom should get on with the times and admit that no one has gamepads with 6 face buttons.
Just reduce the button # to just 4 like everyone else.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Hopefully 2024 has different gimmick. How about year of the punchsportgames?

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Alan Wake 2 still has the best vote average so far (7.7)

Lot of people played FFXVI and placed it middle portion of their list.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Ibblebibble posted:

Clive's just a cooler name than Alan, sorry.

Did you know he is a writer?

Clive is just a no good rebel.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

VideoGames posted:

I know. What is THIS doing here? Well that goon who put it number 1 back in 2020 before it released was the real prophet. They knew. They absolutely knew. And now you all do too.

I did that :smug:
It was genuinely my GOTY of 2020 and it was close to being my GOTY this year too, except it got bumped down to #2 by Alan Wake 2.
What a gaming year.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

HopperUK posted:

The only reason I've hesitated to get Cyberpunk is that what I've heard of the main story is really cynical and depressing and I much prefer 'the world sucks but people don't necessarily' stories about hope. If there's more of that than I thought then the game is definitely back on my list.

I have good news for you then. World is gone poo poo in Cyberpunk, but not people. Well not all people.
The Cyberpunk RPG creator Mike Pondsmith said it best: "You can't save the world, but maybe you can save yourself."

Lot of cool people in the game.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

VEEG.exe has encountered a fatal error.
Rebooting VEEG.exe. :f5:

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Uh. Oh. We got malware on veeg.
Running Virusnuker. :f5:

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Top 20 Average Score list
AKA goons who played them really loved them - list
AKA you should probably play these games - list:

52. Hollow Knight – 8.8
38. Persona 5 – Royal 8.7
53. Astlibra Revision – 8.6

29. My time at Sandrock – 8.3
01. Baldur’s Gate 3 – 8.2
19. Pentiment - 8.2
56. Outer Wilds – 8.2
33. Final Fantasy 7 remake – 8
34. Xenoblade chronicles 3 - 7.8
59. Neon White – 7.8

04. Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty – 7.7
09. Alan Wake 2 – 7.7
21. Disco Elysium – 7.7
10. Lies of P – 7.6
50. Hunt: Showdown – 7.6
02. Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - 7.5
40. Dwarf Fortress - 7.5
46. Yakuza – Like a Dragon 7.5
03. Armored Core 6 – 7.4
08. Street Fighter 6 – 7.1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Arist posted:

didn't get quoted, oh well

here you go, fam.
edit: lol, late.