Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

hello it's me!!

let me do some honorable mentions first!!

Strange Horticulture - this was a very cool little puzzle game about plants, and murder! love those!
Dredge - this was another very cool little game about fish, and eldritch horror! excellent!
Against the Storm - this city builder is the only roguelike/roguelite i've ever actually enjoyed playing! very nice!
Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective - this is one of my favorite games of all time and it got a remastered PC version! hell yes!

and now on to the list! (all of the video clips have sound as well! please enjoy!!)

https://i.imgur.com/9bZIeew.mp4
10. Wo Long - Though a smaller scale overall than Nioh 2 this game had a lot of cool mechanic ideas. Out of the 4 soulslikes I played this year I think this one ended up being the hardest. Do not persue Lu Bu.
(this game gets bonus points for being the only game I've ever seen that lets you jump and grab on to a ladder part way up. more games should do that.)

https://i.imgur.com/AjUv0zr.mp4
9. Wild Hearts - We finally got a possible competitor to Monster Hunter! It looks great, plays great, is fun as hell but unfortunately it ran kinda bad at launch and the poor first impressions drove most prospective players away, and the devs have ended support for the game. :( Such a drat shame. Had a lot of really cool system designs that really set it apart from the usual MH fare. The karakuri building especially is such a unique system. The game OOZES style all around. It's on gamepass now and definitely worth giving a shot!

8. Nioh 2 - I played the poo poo out of this game. All the way up to new game +3. Absolutely fun from start to finish, with a satisfying progression curve. Sick weapons, fun ninja stuff, cool spells, tons of enemy variety. They rehashed the plot of this game for the plot of Wo Long and that is pretty funny, but I think this game is still superior. Japan > China that's right I said it

https://i.imgur.com/9pO4o4J.mp4
7. Street Fighter 6 - The real draw of this game for me was never going to be the competitive scene. It was always going to be World Tour mode. It is a legit full-fledged run-around-and-beat-people-up RPG with a whole rear end character creator, main quests, side quests, minigames, the works. It's chock full of references to older SF and other Capcom games that all went over my head but I beat up a progressively harder series of Andores for a pair of angel wings.

6. Harvestella - This game caught me by surprise. I had skimmed over people's posts about it last year and knew there was something interesting about it, but managed to avoid spoilers. MAN this game. The gameplay is serviceable but that's not the draw here. You can farm crops and fight monsters but the real deal is the story. This story GOES PLACES. It goes places that will knock you upside the head completely out of left field. It's fantastic. I loved it, this is the kind of poo poo I play games for. Also Dianthus is just SO GOD drat COOL

https://i.imgur.com/yAaXj6o.mp4
5. Lords of the Fallen - Do not sleep on this game! If you love Dark Souls try this game out. It carries the legacy of the original game being the first true souls-like, and it carries it well. The world is HUGE, with a lot of really cool switchbacks and shortcuts to hide how big it really is until you happen upon a vista that shows you the truth. The art design is fantastic, the Umbral Realm system is cool as gently caress, in both visuals and mechanics. I played through all 3 endings with the hardest one on NG+2 and that was a hell of a ride. Felt drat good to finish it up.

https://i.imgur.com/V1fUCtw.mp4
4. Armored Core 6 - I need you to just watch the clip above. Easily the most hype moment all year. Holy poo poo. Rusty... my buddy.... i love him so much......... also the game is really really good god dang. it let me be a Guntank and also it was like stupid OP and made me feel very cool and smart for picking such a good setup based on my favorite jobber mech from Gundam. wonderful

https://i.imgur.com/9R5zqZo.mp4
3. Lies of P - I've never played Bloodborne but if it's anything like this game it's probably really good! Wow! but yeah this game was also a pretty nice surprise, nobody expected this to be this polished, have such style, have such quality of visuals, gameplay, and story too! please listen to Feel.

https://i.imgur.com/96Wc3V6.mp4
2. Baldur's Gate 3 - I'm a story fiend, it's why I play video games. I originally played BG2 back in the day and still have the giant spiral-bound manual (that is functionally just a DND 2E Player's Handbook). BG3 has so much story, so much player choice and reactions to your choices, to the point where I've never seen a game give you this much freedom and properly respond to it. I played a Dark Urge attempting to overcome her affliction, and lads I gotta say the way that story arc wrapped up is one of the most satisfying narratives I've ever played through. It felt SO god drat good to do exactly what I wanted and be rewarded for it. This game made me feel seen.

and finally... you might have seen this coming!! maybe!!!

1. Pentiment - Sometimes a story just takes your heart and wrings out the tears and shoves it back in your chest, full of joy of having been able to take part. What a beautiful, touching game. This is another game that made me feel seen, I chose Naturalist as you can see above and just this little interaction of looking at a flower most people consider a weed, but still finding beauty in it, speaks to me on such a fundamental level. This is the poo poo I am about. I played this game in January of this year and it stuck with me the whole way. I still get emotional thinking about it. It still makes me smile. Thank you, Pentiment.

Kerrzhe fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Dec 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

ChocNitty posted:

drat nice post!

wow! thank you!!

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

yeah that rule is dumb anyway and a lot of DMs in my experience will just ignore it and say yes, the cleric can cast cure wounds and healing word in the same turn, who cares

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Alxprit posted:

NUMBER 7

I loving love this turtle.

i have only watched the current season of the anime and not played S/V but i will wholeheartedly agree that terapagos is a sweet precious baby boy

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

as someone who is also a goon in the chat thread, i think it's a fine title

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Armored Core is made by Fromsoft but it is in fact not a souls series

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

that is a lot of RPGs from Japan and also rest in peace sweet Wubbles

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

The Turkish Owl posted:

1. Vintage Story

... that will teach you the basics for a material sciences degree.

immediately loving sold, i have been wanting a new game with the same kind of realistically-detailed crafting system since One Hour One Life and this looks awesome

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

HopperUK posted:

If Street Fighter 6 is really a game that can get People Who Cannot Play Fighting Games into fighting games, I might have to get it. The last time I had fun with a fighting game was probably the original Street Fighter. I liked Blanka.

the modern controls are genuinely very good and easy to learn, they're even viable competitively, much to the chagrin of the Purists, but who cares what they think

there's some tradeoffs with using them, to keep them balanced, and those tradeoffs can be (or at least were when i was playing last) better or worse for certain characters. but overall it's worth it, the world tour RPG mode is very fun and has a shitton of content

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

VideoGames posted:

Also apparently I have to 100% DK64 or something?

wait no don't do this

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

ShoogaSlim posted:

hold me back

there are lots of games that are much better than elden ring

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

fridge corn posted:

It's not even the best fromsoft game

correct, that's Armored Core 6

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

pentiment! pentiment! pentiment!

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i have today off from work for some reason so here is a list of the games that i played but didn't finish!

Paleo Pines - this game is SO CUTE, but i fell off after clearing out all of the farm space and saw how much work it would take to get it all set up. i'm very lazy! i'm sorry adorable dinosaurs!

Cyberpunk 2077 - i only got through the first act! i knew they were going to kill off Jackie and it pissed me off a lot! why do they have to do that!

Sea of Stars - this game is very nice to look at but the characters and story did not grab me at all. only played an hour or two.

Dave the Diver - cool concept, cool pixel art, love the ocean, but fell off after a while. maybe i'll go back to it? but probably not!

Sun Haven - another Stardew-like where I unlocked a whole new giant plot of land to plant stuff on and my laziness said "no thanks"

other games that i still play every (?) year!

Final Fantasy 14 - duh! it will never go away! this year was pretty uneventful but my static is very close to finally killing the final raid boss!

Path of Exile - this current league is actually the best one i've ever played! i've gotten the highest level i've ever achieved, and killed the maven which i never done before! it's great! i will be very sad when they take away all the cool new spectres when the league ends :(

Sea of Thieves - Safer Seas (solo pve mode) is finally out but i haven't got around to trying it yet!

Smite - i played some Jormangandr earlier this year and now they've got a big whale!

Monster Hunter World - i played through this again with my friend but he ruined it by having already watched someone play through it on youtube!! how am i suppose to relive the magic if you've already seen all the monsters????

Naraka: Bladepoint - this game has really fun gameplay actually, but it's got hella free-to-play-battle-pass-daily-logins-buy-cosmetics schlock!

Tekken 7 - i did so atrociously bad at this at evo i swore i would never play another fighting game ever again! except i will probably pick up tekken 8!

No Man's Sky - they added a cool robot race to unlock! and a laser staff! i did an expedition run for the first time, that was neat!

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

https://store.steampowered.com/steamawards/?snr=1_stats_7001__12

Starfield won Most Innovative Gameplay award, Red Dead Redemption 2 won Labor of Love, and Last of Us part 1 won Best Soundtrack

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

JonathonSpectre posted:

1 copy of Pentiment

Hell yeah

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

theblackw0lf posted:

Lords of the Fallen has astonishingly good level design. There’s one area I would rank in the top 10 of all souls games, From included. Sadly I think the quality drops a bit in the midpoint. But Lords gave me that non-linear level design I’ve been sorely missing.

ooh which area

3rding the praise for LotF's level design, easily it's strongest point. i had a lot of fun with the combat and other stuff too! it's a good game!!

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

wait are you trying to play Lords of the Fallen (2014) because that game is apparently quite bad and we are all talking about Lords of the Fallen (2023) which is good

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

the N64 controller was my first ever controller so it's totally fine and normal

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i only have two hands. it's normal to hold the n64 controller you just put your hand on the joystick part

the part on the left with the d-pad is never used

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

hey wow what a surprise i slept through the whole thing! i'm allowed!

here's how my list ended up:

pentiment - #19 (116 points) (quoted)
baldur's gate 3 - #1 (971 points)
lies of p - #10 (251 points)
armored core 6 - #3 (442 points)
lords of the fallen - (7 points)
harvestella - (8 points)
street fighter 6 - #8 (255 points)
nioh 2 - (16 points)
wild hearts - (2 points, from me)
wo long - #49 (47 points)

i'm the only one who liked Wild Hearts!

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i dont even remember watching any movies last year...

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

I have skepticism of sandrock cause I bounced off of Portia really hard…

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

games i'm looking forward to in 2024!

tekken 8!
dragon's dogma 2!
enshrouded!
helldivers 2!
last epoch 1.0 release!
motherfucking dawntrail!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerrzhe