Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I'm hearing early reports that Paranormasight will likely break the points record previously held by Elden Ring, congratulations in advance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It's chaos...absolute chaos

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I'm still playing FFXVI and don't really have a good sense of how much is left (I've done 3 mothercrystals) but it will definitely be on my list

big Clive fan here

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

A fair compromise might be to have the 1-10 lists subtract points for their games

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

(sorry my write ups are so short I'm lazy + not good at it also I used the ranking thing cheetah posted so if you don't like the rankings it is entirely their fault)

I think I finished 45-50 games this year, I haven't bought Armored Core 6/Pikmin 4/Octopath 2/Yakuza Gaiden yet and I'm still in the middle of Fire Emblem: Engage which I might edit in later if I finish it in time (it's very good) but for now here is my list:

Honourable Mentions
Fuga: Melodies of Steel - It's great but I stopped playing because it was stressing me out. I have heard in Fuga 2 they found innovative new ways to terrorise the children like an autoload-child feature for the soul cannon
Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Final Bar Line - It's good enough to be in the top 10 tbh but it's more Theatrhythm
Baldur's Gate 3 - I've never played any kind of D&D/tabletop thing but it really grabbed me for the 35 hours or so I put into it. I only stopped playing because work was getting busy and I never went back to it
Hitman: World of Assassination - I'm not a big fan of roguelikes at all but Hitman is really a perfect fit for it and I ended up putting another 50-60 hours into the game because of the Freelancer update
Gunvolt - I got the platinums in the first two Gunvolts and the Luminous Avenger spinoffs, v good if you like Mega Man Zero etc
FFXIV - I'm still checking in every few months for the new patches - I hope Dawntrail is good!!
Pizza Tower - Extremely good but my playthrough feels unfinished because I'd rather wait for a console release to properly go back and get all the P ranks

#19 - Logiart Grimoire

It's Picross on PC

I'll keep buying all the 2D Picrosses but what I really want is Picross 3D: Round 3

#18 - Fashion Dreamer

It's a big step down from the Style Boutique/Style Savvy games (feels real barebones without the shop management stuff and there are some weird omissions from the old games too like styling people's hair & makeup/and there are no bags or necklaces) but it's fun checking in each day to see the outfits people have designed for your character and then putting together a few for other players

#17 - The Sekimeiya: Spun Glass

:(

Time travel VN that really hooked me at first but I was completely sick of it by the end. Looking through all the flow charts etc post game the time travel plot they've put together is seriously impressive though (to me at least, maybe time travel nerds would find holes to pick). The game does a bizarre thing towards the end where the writer of the game keeps interjecting to ask you a total of 94 questions on how well you understand what happened (IIRC from the post-game stats screen the average score is like 30% but I'm assuming most people were like me and started picking random answers)

#16 - Advance Wars 1+2: Boot Camp

These remasters were good and I doubt they'll lead to a new game but I hope they did ok enough to at least justify a remaster of Dual Strike. I'm still convinced they could successfully revive the series if they make some kind of Three Houses style game!!

#15 - Pokemon Violet

I don't know if I'm sold on the open world thing yet but it worked for me here better than in Arceus and got its hooks in me pretty good despite the technical issues. See above for my extremely bad team of losers and Meowscarada

#14 - Resident Evil 4

They did an amazing job but idk if it needed to exist and I haven't thought about it a single time since getting the platinum

#13 - New Pokemon Snap

what a nice game

#12 - Super Mario Bros. Wonder

I thought it'd be higher because I loved every second and have no complaints but I got 100% in like 6 or 7 hours and it didn't leave much of an impression

#11 - Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown
My first Ace Combat but I loved it and I'm trying to will Ace Combat 8 into existence by putting this on my list. The flying itself hit a nice balance between arcadey/sim + I like the goofy plot/weird not-Earth setting. It's one of the few VR things I'd like to try too as I've heard it's actually good here

my only complaint is that I would like more opportunities to fly through narrow gaps and tunnels like in the final mission please

#10 - Tyrion Cuthbert: Attorney of the Arcane

Really fun fantasy setting Ace Attorney style game that goes places. They nailed it with the courtroom music too! I hope they make a sequel

#9 - La-Mulana

I played this over a couple weeks in October (and eventually got to a point where I caved in and had to start looking up hints - if I didn't I would 100% still be stuck now) I don't know if I was just in the right mood for it or something but it really clicked with me and I was thinking about it a lot afterwards. I also have the sequel but I knew if I jumped right into it I'd get burnt out so I'm saving it.

#8 - Shin Megami Tensei: Soul Hackers 2
https://i.imgur.com/9ReTJTS.mp4

I know it doesn't have any business being in a top 10 in a year like this but I liked it!!

It got mixed reviews because of some repetitive dungeons + it was missing some basic QoL stuff (which they'd patched in by the time I played it) I wasn't expecting much but for whatever reason it really grabbed me and I played the whole 40 hours in 4 days or something silly like that. It's got all the usual SMT fusion stuff with a fun variation on Persona's battle system called "Sabbath" where your demons do all out attacks at the end of each turn based on how many stacks you built up by hitting weaknesses. The story is w/e but I like the cast/the whole vibe of the game + Ringo is just great

#7 - Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty
https://i.imgur.com/tdR0Mzo.mp4

I'm not a big RotTK person but I think it might be the only game I've played where you can actually parry every single attack (even magic/grabs IIRC)

#6 - Street Fighter 6

I didn't put as much time into it as I was expecting because despite liking the roster there's no one who stands out as a main for me (I'll go back when they add Sakura or Makoto or w/e) but it's an amazing game. Really easy recommendation for people new to fighting games too, I had zero interest in the world tour mode going into it but it's surprisingly pretty fun + people seem to like the modern controls

#5 - Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin
https://imgur.com/L95lfMI.mp4
I think it's easily Team Ninja's best game, they did an amazing job translating the FF job system to an action game + the story is really much better than it has any right to be (I played the FF1 pixel remaster before jumping into this which I would recommend) also Jack is just a delight

#4 - Paranormasight

Supernatural mystery VN about people killing each other with very specific curses. Honestly it starts out ridiculously strong and then the rest doesn't really live up to the opening but something about the whole vibe/presentation clicked with me and I think back on it pretty fondly

#3 - Final Fantasy XVI
There didn't seem to much fanfare around it after release so I wasn't sure what to expect but I loved it. Some of the set pieces are wild and idk what the consensus is on the story/setting etc. but I was into it. Also after XV's attempt at a more action based battle system I was surprised the combat here is actually genuinely good (there's not much to it at first but it's really satisfying once you've got a couple eikons to work with) Clive would also rank p high on my list of FF protagonists but no one has made a thread for that :(

#2 - Rain World: Downpour

I had this on my goty list a few years ago and it's back again because of the Downpour expansion which added 5 new slugcats with their own campaigns/multiplayer (and some assists to help make the base game a little easier to get into) Each campaign takes place at a different part of the timeline and a couple of them signficantly change the map for story reasons so it's interesting if you're into the lore (the amount of work they put into updating the world for the Rivulet/Saint campaigns in particular seems crazy because I could imagine the majority of people not even unlocking/bothering to play them). For whatever reason Rain World is a game I find myself going back to a lot when I can't get myself in the mood to play anything else so this expansion honestly felt like it was made for me + I loved it

#1 - The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
https://imgur.com/Ct5MJJi.mp4

I realise it's sad but games are the only thing I look forward to and this is one of the best I've ever played for reasons other people have already explained much better than I can

ascending list for all the psychopaths:

1 - The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
2 - Rain World: Downpour
3 - Final Fantasy XVI
4 - Paranormasight
5 - Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin
6 - Street Fighter 6
7 - Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty
8 - Shin Megami Tensei: Soul Hackers 2
9 - La-Mulana
10 - Tyrion Cuthbert: Attorney of the Arcane

thank you!
vvv

Help Im Alive fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Escobarbarian posted:

FF7 Remake up by 35!! incredible!

If these trends continue...it'll be -2 by next year!!