Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I can't believe VG stole my thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Captain Invictus posted:

put pizza tower in the list of notable releases for January you charlatan

Pizza Tower? I hardly know 'er!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Reading through the thread now. We wouldn't have so many blasphemers making ascending lists if we were still under the Rarity Regime :colbert:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Lisztless posted:

My daughter, age 5, loves this game. She struggles with platformers but also paradoxically believes she is the best to ever hold a controller, resulting in a low frustration threshold for her own failure. She is pathologically incapable of uttering the phrase “could you please help me” when it comes to any facet of her life.

I'm in this post and I don't like it

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Bugblatter posted:

I dunno, the rules specifically say you should have played the game this year.

Metis is making a mockery of this thread. A mockery, I say! :argh:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

fridge corn posted:

Some prominent posters have yet to post lists... :thunk:

I have finally caught up with the thread so I'm officially banning anyone else from posting lists so I don't fall behind again :colbert:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Wow, VG has shown me an advance copy of the results and would you believe it Final Fantasy IX has been declared GOTY for the 24th year in a row, what a shocker

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Looks like a whole lot of illegal list posting going on in here :cop:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
You'll be the OP and you'll like it buster :mad:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

fridge corn posted:

2024 will be the Year of the RPG from Japan

The Year of the RPG from Japan comes back around faster than I expect every time :sweatdrop:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

HER EYES ON DEEZ NUTS

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Got em

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Regy Rusty posted:

And they're making him start off next year with Gollum

The monsters

VG's 2024 list: "This game was a wild adventure, I loved exploring the environments of Middle-Earth and Gollum was an enthralling protagonist, #3 Game of the Year"

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Escobarbarian posted:

I gifted Gollum to veeg and then made sure his wife forced him to accept it

You're doing the lord's work :hmmyes:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Kerrzhe posted:

wait no don't do this

Absolutely do this

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I want to see VG bothered by beaver :twisted:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

VideoGames posted:

Thank you to everyone who entered! I am no longer accepting new entries.

I didn't post a list yet. I'm being silenced by "the man"! :mad:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The real GOTYs are the friends we made along the way

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Still catching my way up with the thread and

Microcline posted:

I was using the 2018 data to test my vote counting script and I think I found a few errors. The first is that three goons, cyclical, JBP, and Zephro weren't counted. Notably, if they were counted Pillars of Eternity 2 would be at #5 instead of #9.

The second, and more notable, is that in training had their vote counted as Monster Hunter World when it was for Monster Hunter Generations:

...Pobody's nerfect? :shobon:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
It's me, I'm the GOTY

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Zaggitz posted:

RARITY’S FAVORITE POSTER(That’s me, Zaggitz)’S TOP TEN LIST

:thunkher:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
There is only one game I will be negative about and that is your favourite game

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Come back in 2026 if BG3 has made top 10 three years in a row and then we can start talking about it beating Disco :colbert:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
This thread got me to try the first chapter of Higurashi When They Cry and er, what the gently caress is this game? :stare:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Kerrzhe posted:

the N64 controller was my first ever controller so it's totally fine and normal

What's it like having three hands?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I hope that "Tolkein was 300 years ago" charts high in 2024

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I had forgotten about the epic battle of VG vs. Pipe in MGS2

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Lawman 0 posted:

Did we count the vootes yet?

Weird, I checked VG's ballot box and all I see is 200 tickets labelled Lord of the Rings: Gollum

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
As a world renowned GOTY authority I'm calling my shot. This will be your top 10 for 2023:

1. Baldur's Gate 3
2. Tears of the Kingdom
3. Armored Core 6
4. Cyberpunk 2.0
5. Street Fighter 6
6. Alan Wake 2
7. Octopath 2
8. Lies of P
9. Hi-Fi Rush
10. REm4ke

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Me, clicking on to page 29 to finish reading all the lists before GOTY begins: :dance:

Me, running right into The 7th Guest's Top 50: :negative:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Hearing reports that this countdown will mostly be about VG shilling his new cryptocurrency Veegcoin :thunkher:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jerusalem posted:

Tears of the Kingdom is going to beat Baldur's Gate 3 this year, just like Pentiment beat Elden Ring last year and like Sekiro beat Disco Elysium in 2019. It's crazy how my top picks keep winning like this!

J-Ru I realise no one has ever told you this but the numerical order is actually 1 < 2 :baduk:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Just had a sneak peak at VG's graphics, this is gonna be a good one y'all :munch:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

This is an Automated GOTY BeanPost. I am asleep right now but I wanted to say that Rarity is so amazing

:hmmyes:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I'm out and about today so can't post along but thus is a real good countdown :hellyeah:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
:f5:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Wow, what a day. What a countdown. What a moment. I'm enthralled. An absolute belter of a top 10, Mario Wonder and FF16 coming out of nowhere to hit hard and of course a huge top trio with Baldur's Gate 3 being a worthy addition to our GOTY Hall of Fame. Truly the taste levels of this forum are off the hook. I just want to say a massive thank you to Veeg for delivering a top quality countdown. 2023 was a real rough year for ya girl Rarity and back in May I decided to pull back from gaming to spend more out in the world doing stuff - hence me not putting in a list or running this thread (although for the record from the few games I played last FF14 A Realm Reborn woulda been my #1). But I know how much effort it takes to manage this thing and VG has been an absolute warrior to make it happen. It's been really reassuring to know that my baby was being well cared for. I also want to say a massive thank you to everyone who submitted a list this year. I have read almost all of them, each one has brought me so much joy and really challenged my resolve to stay away from gaming. And the last few entries I still haven't finished, I promise you I will! Give yourselves a round of applause goons, it's you that make GOTY the delight that it is.

Mods, to celebrate this day I demand to be hit with a Nice badge sixer :colbert:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Just to give everyone some perspective on this quote discussion, that is absolutely the part of this operation that is the most work. Last year I spent the entirety of Jan 1st to Jan 3rd just reading though everyone's lists to pull out appropriate quotes before even starting the actual writing bits. Which don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed doing it but it's a huge time investment. I fully understand VG focusing on quality over quantity here.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Wittgen posted:

Hopefully American democracy doesn't collapse so hard that it collapses comedy forum video game democracy too.

VG, count the PM votes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Shooga made the very 1st movie version SA MOTY last month and plans to do it again next year! Join us, just as with the once humble SA GOTY... every year the beast will grow!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4049769&pagenumber=1

Very excited to welcome a new member to the *OTY Thread family :3: