Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I surprisingly already have my list near finalized, save a bit of waffling around the top three, but I've gotta work on my writeups and figure out my visual presentation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I've got my list all ordered, I just haven't had the time to write them up yet....

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I still wanna get Streets 6, but I used up my one allotted Christmas Sale Game purchase on Jedi Survivor

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Ugh I'm almost done I swear, I just have not been mentally in one place at all this month

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

One of my first gaming endeavors of 2023 was to continue a replay of the Mass Effect trilogy through the Legendary Edition that had dropped off midway through 2. This also meant that I was going to be playing through the infamous Mass Effect 3 for the first time. And honestly, it's alright. Yes, the final final ending is a bit underwhelming and the way it's set up basically shot themselves in the foot when attempting to continue the series, but coming at it about a decade later with all the fixes and all the LE improvements, it's a pretty decent game. The shooting gameplay is, of course, top notch, and while the story is a bit wonky, I can't deny that it's a bit satisfying to have all these smaller endings to plot threads that had been present throughout the entire trilogy, like the genophage and the Geth war. And if you really look under the hood, there is actually a surprising amount of variance along the way that takes your choices in all three games into mind. Also the Citadel DLC is really fun and cheesy and a good send-off to the best years this franchise ever had.

Inscryption is one of those games that's best gone into without any knowledge outside the basic premise. A game about being stuck in some weird guy's cabin and playing a roguelike with card game combat becomes...a lot more than that! Despite running out of steam slightly in the second half, Inscryption is a really fun, really engaging, and pretty short ride, with a surprisingly deep system to its card game and tons of twists and turns.

Tears of the Kingdom is Breath of the Wild but better, most people have already said this much. Whereas I struggled to get into BotW, Tears did grab me much more successfully. Love to have a fun time building goofy poo poo and exploring a world with a lot more life and personality. If this had come out in a year that wasn't so stacked to the gills with amazing games, this would probably be on a lot more tips of tongues. As it stands, it's a good-rear end game I need to get back to sometime.

The first episode of Higurashi, the first installment in the legendary When They Cry visual novel series, is free on Steam and by God that's how they get ya. I have, of course, been knee deep in Umineko for over a decade now, but I had never really looked into the predecessor, and even in his earliest works, Ryukishi shows his almost unparalleled craft, weaving a tense, engaging, downright spooky story about a small town seemingly caught up in the curse of an ancient god, and of course since the "game" is figuring out the mystery, I can't go into too much detail more than that. Despite some pacing issues (and some pretty bad scenes that are very clearly "I Need To Sell This Thing To Comiket Nerds In 2002"), it's more than a worthwhile read.

By all objective metrics, Baldur's Gate III is the game of the year, I accept this. It's an unparalleled marvel of interactive storytelling, on a scale and with such granularity in player choice that I doubt we'll ever see it fully replicated anytime soon and it's basically the only CRPG I haven't just bounced off of. Only reason it's down here is I'm still in Act 1 and gotta play more.

The best Super Famicom RPG we never got is finally here in what is pretty much the definitive edition. A variety of bite-sized stories told all across history and different genres, a unique battle system I'd love to see more games use, and Yoko Shimomura absolutely shredding the gently caress out, what more do you want? Anyway here's a mini-rating of the 8 main chapters.

8. Prehistory
7. Present Day
6. Imperial China
5. Middle Ages
4. Distant Future
3. Wild West
2. Twilight of Edo Japan
1. Near Future

What a goddamn surprise this was. Character action games often heavily involve rhythm, so why the hell not set the whole thing to music and go all the way? Just a fun little goofy story with tight gameplay, funny characters, a sharp comic book art style, and of course a banging soundtrack. I mean, where the hell else are you gonna get a officially authorized reference to disc 2 of Xenogears to actually gloss over cut content?

I am a simple person. You give me cel shaded roller blades with hip hop and I am down. Following in the time-honored tradition of "this game I love hasn't had a sequel in forever so gently caress it I'll make my own," Bomb Rush Cyberfunk takes the structure of Jet Set Radio Future and polishes it to a near mirror shine. More fluid mobility, a deeper scoring system, and a story that goes to funky cyberpunk places set it apart from its inspiration. Also it's got the Funky Uncle Hideki Naganuma sampling the Black Panthers in a song for the third time, what's not to love?

I dig giant robots, what can I say? The mad geniuses at FromSoft back at it again with another certified banger. Using their refined action game senses from years of Dark Souls, they've returned to the series that initially put them on the map with a game that may not require you to use The Grip to even move your robot, but doesn't slack on the challenge they've become known for. Beating Balteus for the first time was definitely Gamer Moment of the Year, so much so that I saved the video of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EW8aRq_zEx8

Man Yakuza's so fuckin' good man. Like A Dragon was the game that got its hooks in me the most this year and didn't let go until the very end (when I was up until like 2 in the morning just WAITING FOR THE CREDITS TO ROLL). I am one of those freaks that actually likes it being an RPG way more than it being a brawler, and the series' storytelling is still unmatched, with me also being one of those freaks that played it in the dub. And as a bonus, it also comes with an amazing business management sim! Ichiban is my perfect son and no one is allowed to be mean to him.

10. Mass Effect 3: Legendary Edition
9. Inscryption
8. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
7. Higurashi - When they Cry
6. Baldur's Gate III
5. Live A Live (2022)
4. Hi-Fi Rush
3. Bomb Rush Cyberfunk
2. Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon
1. Yakuza: Like A Dragon

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

This NEVER stops being funny to me, I love it so much :allears:

She really should not be as fine as she is in the rest of the game

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Top gaman songs of 2023:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCu93MKq7ec
Contact With You - Armored Core IV

It's technically the theme of the main character, but most players will associate it with the first time it plays, the infamous Balteus. On one side of the wall, the song represents insurmountable odds. On the other side of the wall, it is a celebration of your triumph.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJUIP-L1Wuo
MEGALOMANIA - Live A Live

You think you're ready for it at the end of each chapter. You're not. The drop fuckin' bangs every time.

https://twitter.com/shibuyagato/status/1552700416692977664

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYJg_CCkYq8
Too Big To Fail - Hi-Fi Rush

Hi-Fi Rush has some fantastic licensed music for a lot of the bosses, but the replacement songs in Streamer Mode aren't anything to sneeze at.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's also very funny that that one meme video is like the only surviving video of the remake Megalomania. Every other video has been taken down, even when it complies with SE's "gotta have gameplay" terms

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Half of my list made the big countdown which is

more than usual.

Wow did my taste get more mainstream this year? This can't abide.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I gotta play more obscure anime poo poo this year

Come on, Sakura Wars 2 fan translation

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

Fate/ccc got a fan TL out!

I gotta play through the original!!!!

Also poo poo I forgot Zelda was on my list too, that's six

AND I HAD ALL TOP 3 IN MY LIST?!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

Don't, it's bad gameplay, read Bisby's LP instead!

I know, I've tried before! It's so loving bad!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Hi Fi Rush is on PC and was also recently rated for PS4 so maybe soon

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It would have been, because Octopath didn't exist

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

There weren't retro throwback games in the PS1-2 era because that was still in retro times

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I have been trying to watch more movies in general starting last year so hell yeah, hopefully I remember this in December

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I think due to watching it three times in one year, Shin Ultraman would have to be my movie of last year

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I'm trying to finish Midnight Suns before Like A Dragon comes out, then I'll probably pick more at .hack//GU and BG3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

haveblue posted:

I am spiderman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F01UTYg79KY