Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Horizon zero out of ten

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

For anyone having trouble ranking, but who does have a list of games they played, here's a tool to help you out:

https://rankingengine.pubmeeple.com/

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Shard posted:

If 5 is the minimum here is mine.

1) Baldur's Gate 3
2) Pizza Tower
3) Street Fighter 6
4) Super Mario Wonder
5) City Game Studio

Write a sentence for each or perish

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

tbh... the rules aren't SUPER clear, they're really wordy. Some bold might help?

quote:

1. Any game that you have played in 2023 is eligible. It could be a game from this year, it could be a game from the past, it could be a game from the future if you're some kind of time travelling god. It could be a gacha game, it could be a romhack, it could be a randomizer, it could be a mod, as long as you played it this year it's all good.
2. The joy of this thread is in getting to shout about your favourites and hear about the hidden gems that you missed and we can only do that if you talk about why you've chosen the games you have. You can write a sentence, you can write an essay, whatever you like as long as you write something. Any lists posted without reasons for their picks will not be counted in the final vote.
3. If you want to list more than ten games go for it but I'll only count your top ten. If you want to list less than ten games then go for that too but I won't count it if you've done less than five. If you don't want to rank your picks then that's fine as well but again, we won't count it.
4. Don't be a dick about other people's choices. This is a positive thread to celebrate the best of video games, not a place for people to get lost in an argument over which AAA release poo poo the bed worst. If you want to be critical then take it elsewhere. Please note that this rule will be waived in the event anyone picks hentai games or Dota.
5. Please use spoiler tags. One of the best part of these threads is people hearing about new games they want to play and we don’t want to spoil them before they even start playing.
6. If you want to go back and edit your list after the fact then go for it, just shoot one of us a PM or post in the thread to let us know you have or it might not get counted.
7. Deadline for submissions is 1st January 00:00AM PST. We'll then do a live countdown of the final results in the New Year!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I'm gonna include a mod AND its base game as separate entries in my top ten

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

No one owns a ps5

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

this is my favorite thread of the year and I'm reading every god drat word

Dr. Pissopolis

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The "expansions / dlc are separate entries" was put in place to disperse the mmo votes.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

If you can't quantify your enjoyment of a particular piece of art, have you truly enjoyed it?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

definitely not here

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

use the chat thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4048547

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

10. The Roottrees are Dead (2023)

“Check this game out”, said a goon in the chat thread. And check it out I did, and it rocked. A deductive game that combines Obra Dinn with Her Story, the goal is to identify the names, occupations, and appearances of the members of a very large family, using magazine articles, news clippings and book excerpts that you download off a 90s web search engine. It ate up a workday and a half, it was all I could think about. Just amazing work. I was a little disappointed by the AI art, though I understand why it was used (solo dev, for one thing)

9. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (2023)

There’s no escaping it, TotK rules. It’s Breath of the Wild Plus, taking an already excellent game and making it more excellent. What impressed me the most in retrospect was the amount of trust the devs put in the player, you can skip their carefully designed puzzles with a rocket shield or minicopter and the game will say “Okay, that works too!”. That said, yeah ok I started skipping cutscenes because the story was so dull, but I still can’t deny that driving/flying around the massive underground layer on my dumb hot-air-balloon-glider was an experience unlike any other

8. Pokémon Scarlet (2022)

It’s the best Pokémon game. But good God is it far from perfect. I could list the many tiny frustrations, but at the end of the day, it’s got an okay story, the open world works very well, and it’s a lot of fun in general. At the time of writing, the next DLC isn’t out yet (release date is December 14th), though that looks like it’s going to be “more of the same” so I don’t think it’ll affect Scarlet’s ranking on my list.

7. Theatrhythm Final Bar Line (2023)

I don’t do rhythm games. But I do do RPGs. Having a party-building component really sold me on this game, and of course I like Final Fantasy music. Well, to be precise, I like 70% of Final Fantasy music, I really like 20% of Final Fantasy music, and the remaining 10% is kinda not to my taste (coincidentally, mostly FFXIII music). I was really happy that I could 100% the game without having to actually get good at it, since the optional “quests” can be done in the easiest difficulty or can be brute forced with the aforementioned party-building

6. Baldur’s Gate 3 (2023)

I should point out a few caveats: I’m a BG1 & BG2 superfan. I replay those games about once a year. I’m also a big fan of Divinity: Original Sin and especially Divinity: Original Sin 2. And in my opinion, BG3 has a lot more in common with D:OS2 than with the earlier BGs, to the point where I can’t help but see it as a sequel to D:OS2, and not BG2. And that’s not a bad thing at all! Although the combat compares unfavourably to D:OS2’s (I much prefer the action point system to the Action/”Bonus Action” system), writing-wise it’s a step up, and although I haven’t finished the game yet, I’ve been having a lot of fun with it

5. Six Ages (2018)

It makes you FEEL!!! like the leader of a clan of weakened magical ancient barbarians with very particular rituals and beliefs that has some complicated relationships with the neighbouring magical barbarian tribes. If the goal of art is to express an exact feeling, idea, mood, theory, then Six Ages is a perfect work of art. I look forward to getting into Six Ages 2: twelve ages in 2024, which, from what I’ve seen, accentuates the “weakened” part of “weakened magical ancient barbarians” so will take some adjusting, since I’m not used to numbers going down

4. The Case of the Golden Idol (2022)

I like this more than the other popular deduction game, Obra Dinn, just because it doesn’t require physically moving an avatar around to look at stuff. Golden Idol gave me a ton of “ohhhhh” moments, which are more powerful versions than “ah ha” moments: moments when I discover on my own (that part is important) that an earlier small detail is, in fact, crucially vital to understanding the greater conspiracy at play. Also all of the DLC rules

3. Europa Universalis IV: Anbennar (2018)

This game will always be on my list, in some form or another. Fan-made EU4 fantasy overhaul megamod that keeps adding interesting stories every couple of months, and offering unique gameplay challenges that the base game, being set on Earth, could never present

2. Europa Universalis IV (2013)

This game will always be on my list, in some form or another. The reason it’s here alongside Anbennar is because, lately the (official) expansions have been excellent, a lot more focused on revamping existing nations and regions by adding unique mechanics and mission trees, instead of tacking on global systems that can sometimes be remarkably tedious and low-impact

1. Pentiment (2022)

Alright, so I’ve played Europa Universalis for many years now, and it taught a fair bit about late medieval, early modern history. Mostly in Europe. I like that stuff, a lot. And Pentiment is all about that time period, presented with some of the most careful attention to detail I’ve ever seen. But that’s not why I love Pentiment, or at least not the main reason I love it.

I love it because… It is so warm, so compassionate, so genuinely interested in the characters, all two hundred of them. It is beautiful. The story is a real page-turner, and in terms of video game-ness, it does some very interesting things with the visual novel format, and it even comments on games as a medium. Such a rich, and enriching, experience

God bless you, Andreas

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Giant robots 😬

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Huh there are still some FE characters that aren't in smash yet?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The recent signalis patch offers a few options to ease the inventory slot problem so it's better than ever !!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Ok so what game won goty?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Honorable mentions… participation trophies

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

No love for any of the boring new dweebs from TotK? That’s a yikes

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

DC Murderverse posted:

I played through a bunch of Curse of the Golden Idol last night and it rules I’d happily play more of this every few months (or as fast as they can crank them out without making it bad)

It's "CASE" of the golden idol!!

I knew that title was asking for trouble the second i first read it!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Gonna be busy tomorrow so I’ll miss the countdown but grats to all the goty winners and losers

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Sally posted:

Curse of the Golden Idol cracked the Top 15 in an immensely stacked year. very blessed. loving love that game

*Case

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I’m already getting annoyed at the nerds who are gonna a vote for an mmo expansion in 2024

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

2nd year in a row of the goon choice for goty being the same as the TGA awards award for goty. Is SA epic fail or are TGA for the win?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Microcline posted:

Statistics post, 2023 edition

This year there were 262 votes (up from 217) casting a total of 13,744 points (up from 11,636).

37.1% of all points were awarded to games that didn't make it into the top 75, down from 38.2% last year.

The Most Generic Goon is Baiard, who's top 5 was 6 places from the aggregate.

The top overperformers (someday I'm going to do something more interesting with this than "people like the games they like")
Baldur's Gate 3 (#1->#1) with 118 votes and an average rank of 2.8
The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (#2->#2) with 101 votes and an average rank of 3.5
Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon (#3->#3) with 59 votes and an average rank of 3.7
Cyberpunk 2077 (#4->#6) with 47 votes and an average rank of 3.3
Alan Wake 2 (#8->#10) with 33 votes and an average rank of 3.3

One overperformer of note is The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, which with 3 votes and an average rank of 1.3 outperformed last year's Perfect Tides (3 votes, 1.67 average). But it just wasn't enough to break #75 in this more crowded year.

The bottom underperformers (games that would have placed much higher is all listings were weighted equally)
Starfield with 4 votes and an average rank of 8.5
Metroid Prime Remastered (#61->#45) with 10 votes and an average rank of 6.9
Paranormasight: The Seven Mysteries of Honjo (74->#50) with 9 votes and an average rank of 7.1
The Roottrees Are Dead (#75->#51) with 9 votes and an average rank of 7.1
Super Mario RPG (2023) (#20->#17)with 22 votes and an average rank of 6.4
No More Heroes 3 with 4 votes and an average rank of 9.0
Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp (->#73) with 6 votes and an average rank of 8.0
Chants of Sennaar (->#46) with 10 votes and an average rank of 7.7
Dredge (#68->#35) with 11 votes and an average rank of 7.6
Dave the Diver (#32->#19) with 18 votes and an average rank of 7.3

THE BIG CHART: (gold = 5 years > pink > purple > black > grey = 1 year). Crimson is for Persona 5, a game that came out in 2016 that's been on this chart every year since GOTYT started in 2018.

yes I am aware that Hitman 3 and Hitman: World of Assassination are technically the same game and should be connected

I've got more data to share this week but it'll take a bit to format

This rules

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

idk if we're gonna get to page 69.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Belgian Waffle posted:

I'll contribute towards our journey to page 69 by begging shamelessly for a GOTY probe.

It's one of the few times I post every year, I may as well get something to remember it by.

mods...?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

all of the new Hitman games own extremely a lot

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It’s « case »

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Anyone play any good video games recently?