Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
This year I decided to compose a medley of songs to hint at my #1 for this year. You can listen to that here, if you want, as you read the list, though obviously if you can piece together how the songs fit, it'll give away the winner:
https://soundcloud.com/morallyobjected/2023-goty-winning-medley

Games I Played This Year (bold indicates I finished it):

Alan Wake 2
Death's Door
Final Fantasy: Pixel Remaster
Final Fantasy 2: Pixel Remaster
Final Fantasy 3: Pixel Remaster
Final Fantasy 4: Pixel Remaster
Final Fantasy 5: Pixel Remaster
Final Fantasy 6: Pixel Remaster
Final Fantasy XVI
Forspoken

Ghostwire: Tokyo
Goodbye Volcano High
Haven
Horizon Forbidden West: Burning Shores
Jurassic World Evolution 2
Kirby and the Forgotten Land
Metroid Prime: Remastered
New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe

Oxenfree 2: Lost Signals
Pokemon Trading Card Game
Rayman Legends
Sackboy: A Big Adventure
Sea of Stars
Spider-Man 2
STAR OCEAN THE DIVINE FORCE
Stray Gods
Super Mario Wonder

Tactics Ogre: Reborn
The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles
The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

The Talos Principle
THEATRHYTHM FINAL BAR LINE
This Way Madness Lies
TReN
Unpacking
Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty

--------------------

==========================
The Honourable Mentions
==========================

15. Haven (PS5) - The Game Bakers | RPG | 2021

This was a bit of a surprise to me. I wrote up my Top 15 at the end of November because I don't generally get new games in December until post-Christmas, which is after I put my list together, and of the releases I saw, I wasn't picking any of them up anyway. However, this one was on PS++ and I vaguely remembered hearing decent things about it, so I figured "Why not?" and gave it a download. Going into it knowing very little, I will say it was great that you can choose between a number of different gender combinations for the protagonists (who are in a relationship) just based on personal preference without changing anything else about the story. It would be cool if more indie games did that (when gender was not an important factor in the plot). The basic gameplay loop is that you zoom around a bunch of islands looking for supplies and slowly cleaning up the landscape from a material called Rust. You come across enemies that you have to fight in order to pacify and clean them up as well, so you're not killing any of the local inhabitants. You gain access to more mechanics along the way, such as crafting, to make your healing/battling easier, as one might expect of an RPG. The voicework was a big factor in my enjoyment as well. With the writing and the performances, it wasn't hard to believe that the two characters cared about each other and were truly committed to making the best life possible with one another.

14. Death's Door (PS5) - Acid Nerve | Action-Adventure | 2021

Tried this one out on a whim as part of PS+. Turns out it's a fun.. whatever this genre is. Isometric adventure combat? I called it Action-Adventure above, but I think that was just the one I pulled from Wikipedia and it doesn't really fully describe the kind of game it is. You get abilities that improve your movement and allow you to explore new areas. You fight enemies and bosses. You find secrets, upgrade your magic/health, and save the world as a crow who works for the afterlife. I don't really have anything bad to say about it. The aesthetic is charming, the writing is fun, and it's a decent length without feeling padded or too long.

13. Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty (PS5) - Team Ninja, Koei Tecmo | RPG | 2023

Wo Long is very much like an evolution of Nioh 1/2. The overall structure (different "eras"/regions with levels) is the same, the loot system feels the same, and the combat feels very similar in a lot of ways, even with the addition of the Morale system. This isn't a bad thing--if you like Nioh 1/2, then I can't see why you wouldn't enjoy Wo Long. Morale is kind of like a power level: the higher yours or your enemy's, the tougher you/they are. You have a base Morale level that increases as you find more major and minor flags (similar to temples from Nioh), to a maximum of 20, but you can also gain it by killing enough enemies. However, if you die, it resets to your base, which is why you want to find all of them in the level. A nice addition is being able to respec at will (I think you have to get to a certain point in the story, but after that you can change as much as you want). More RPGs would be improved if you could switch up builds all the time, I think.

Ultimately, it felt perhaps a little easier than Nioh 1 or 2, but maybe that's just because I had more experience at that point. Team Ninja games do remain good games for co-op, and I had fun playing through levels with other people for free (I like their system more than From games, though with Elden Ring, they at least made it trivial by having it be ridiculously easy to craft the co-op items). There's a lot here to like, especially if you've already bought in to the system.

12. Horizon Forbidden West: Burning Shores (PS5) - Guerilla Games | Open-World/RPG | 2023

Honestly, I think the only reason this is down here so low is just because it's a DLC, which I by default tend to put lower in terms of priority. In previous years, I didn't even include them at all in the ranked section, so the fact that it's in here at all tells you how much I enjoyed it. Burning Shores gives us a look at post-Forbidden West Aloy as she's in the beginning of preparing for all that was revealed at the end of the base game. She travels to a new area, meets new people, and has chemistry out the wazoo with one of them and it was all fantastic. The setting is outright beautiful--a screen capture I took is my computer background, even now. It's a great capper to my 2022 GOTY, and it has me looking forward to the next game (and hoping we see a lot more of a certain character).

11. Sea of Stars (PS4) - Sabotage Studio | RPG | 2023

This game was, for me, basically the perfect blend of Paper Mario and Chrono Trigger. The character writing and sprite work was wonderful, and with so many opportunities to sink into cynicism, the game constantly chooses the optimist's path, mostly through the vehicle of Garl, who is by far the soul of the party. The battle system has that turn-based Mario RPG action battle style that rewards you for timing button presses/other actions correctly, which helps it stay engaging, in addition to an Octopath-like mechanic of breaking enemies' defenses based on their weaknesses to interrupt their actions. It turns battles into little mini-puzzles in a way that isn't tedious like Origami King was. The balance of money was nice, as well, which is not always the case in RPGs. You get enough to buy gear for most of your characters, and you might find some equipment in the following area, but you don't often get to just clear out the shops; however, neither do you have to scrimp and save just to buy a single sword or armour piece. Your main source of healing items is from cooking ingredients that you find all over the place, and you're limited to a certain number in your inventory at once, so it encourages you to actually use them for once. I still definitely hoarded on occasion though. JRPG Disease is real.

Also the slots mini-game was a blast. Wheels Champion 2023.

--------------------

===========
The Top 10
===========

10. TReN (PS4) - Media Molecule | Puzzle | 2023

TReN was developed by Media Molecule entirely within their game creator Dreams, as a showcase of what's possible within their systems. The basic idea is that you control a toy train on various tracks backwards and forwards to solve puzzles and get to the end, and it's honestly impressive how much they managed to mix up that formula and create levels that are challenging but that rarely seem unfair. Much of the difficulty stems from the fact that most of the levels are timed (as long as you want 3/3 stars, anyway), so you're frequently in a race against the clock to execute perfectly, which of course leads to errors. I used this as a side game to give myself a change of pace and it worked really well for that. If you have Dreams (which was given away for PS+ this year), it's worth checking out.

9. This Way Madness Lies (PC) - Zeboyd Games | RPG | 2022

I've played a few Zeboyd games in the past--Rainslick Precipice of Darkness, Cthulhu Saves the World--but it had been a while at the point when I first heard of this game in last year's GOTY thread. I'm not a huge Shakespeare fan, but I am a fan of magical girl anime and JRPGs, which this draws heavy influence from. You play as an all-girl theatre troupe who gets sucked into the worlds of some of Shakespeare's most famous plays, where you must rescue the inhabitants from demons and monsters. The combat works essentially in cycles. Each girl has up to 4 slots you can equip with moves at any given time, and one used, a move cannot (usually) be used again until you spend a turn resting. Each turn also build's up a girl's Hyper meter, which, once filled, causes the next move to have a different or augmented effect (sometimes it goes from single-target to multi-target, sometimes it deals more damage, etc.). You don't have a choice about whether to use the Hyper effect, so you have to plan your moves and rests accordingly. Then the meter goes back to 0 and you start over again. There are also difficulty options if things feel too spongy.

The writing is fun, both in dialogue and in terms of enemy names:

It's not overly long, so it doesn't outstay its welcome. The only real downside for me is that it doesn't really have anything in the way of sidequests or exploration, really. It's pretty much on rails to do the story (you wander around the various areas, but only in service of advancing the plot), other than finding about 1-2 items per area. However, this is a matter of personal taste, in the end. The game plays just fine without any additional content to pad it out, especially since it's on the cheaper side anyway.

8. Forspoken (PS5) - Square-Enix | RPG | 2023

https://i.imgur.com/8dm48Hb.mp4

At its core, what I can say about Forspoken is that it's just fun to play. The movement abilities make it a joy to move around the world of Athia, and the fast travel, being made for the PS5, is very fast, so it's generally not hard to get where you're going. You can only fast travel when you unlock the places to do it to, so you'll be exploring the world on foot for a large part of the game anyway. Even after I unlocked fast travel locations, there were plenty of times I chose to just run to places without them. Or times I forgot to be going somewhere because I just got distracted zooming around. The combat is decent enough--some families of moves are definitely better than others, and it can be a drag when you're forced to use some of the less good ones to attack weaknesses, but it's very stylish and the good moves are very good--and the story is serviceable. The pacing gets a little off at the end, but overall it never took me out of the game. I feel like a lot of people pre-judged the dialogue writing because of the trailer, but all of that is done within the first like half hour, and the rest of it isn't any worse than your average game. It's unfortunate that it didn't sell well compared to the budget/expectations, because that means we'll probably never see the conclusion to the larger story.

7. Super Mario Bros Wonder (Switch) - Nintendo EPD | Platformer | 2023

(in retrospect, it's amazing that Nintendo catered to chubby chasers and inflation fetishists with this game)

Speaking of games that are fun to play, we have the best 2D Mario ever made, at least as of today. This game won me over with the second level (Piranha Plants on Parade), which is still probably my favourite one, but the whole game is littered with moments of similar wackiness and character. There's a large variety in the stages, with break times, badge challenges, regular levels, and timed battle challenges, which keeps the experience fresh as you go through all the worlds. The Special World stages provide an extra challenge, even if they're easier than the special stages of Marios past. Really the only complaints I have are that:

(a) I wish there were more content (which is not a bad problem, really, to have with a game--"I wish I could play it more"), and
(b) The badge system is a little clunky, in that they're really not utilised outside their respective stages, and the invisibility badge can gently caress off

But otherwise, I think the game is a no-brainer for anyone who likes Mario games or platformers, especially after the disappointing decade-plus of New Super Mario Bros games. This game is for them perhaps what Galaxy was for 3D after Sunshine. A breath of fresh air and return to form. A reminder that they do still know how to make a good game in the genre.

6. Pokemon Scarlet/Violet (Switch) - Game Freak | RPG | 2022

I don't have some of the problems that other people do with the more recent entries in the Pokemon series. I stopped playing after Gold/Silver until Sword/Shield (other than some of the Gen 1/2 remakes, which I don't count), so I didn't have a huge collection of Pokemon to be carrying along, and I had zero idea which ones were new and which ones were reused from Gens 3 through whatever--they were all new to me. I also don't have any fatigue for the series (I did take 20 years off, after all). The open-world nature of Scarlet/Violet traces a direct line from the Wild Areas in Sword/Shield through Arceus, and while I liked a lot of things about Arceus, it honestly feels better implemented overall here. Arceus treated battling like an afterthought and focused heavily on the exploration, which is not a bad thing necessarily--I liked crafting my own Pokeballs, for example--but it wasn't quite what I was looking for in a Pokemon game. Scarlet/Violet only truly half-embraces the open-world genre, since gym leaders and such don't scale levels to your own, meaning there's still certain towns/quests you'll want to do in suggested orders, but it's at least refreshing to have three main questlines that you can switch between. Plus, they brought in some good features from the newer entries, like being able to swap moves on the fly instead of using a Move Tutor.

The story is there, certainly, but I did like the academy setting, and Nemona is probably my favourite rival in the series. Really in general these characters are the best.

My main wishes would be just more clothing customisation--that was a big drop off from Sword/Shield and Arceus--and maybe more little side quests to do. I do understand this game was probably rushed out the door though. All in all, it's the most fun, I think, that I've had with a Pokemon game. I'm probably even going to pick up the DLC once everything's out.

My final team:

Meowscarada
Oinkologne
Oricorio (Fire)
Garganacl
Pawmot
Gardevoir

5. Final Fantasy XVI (PS5) - Square-Enix | RPG | 2023

Final Fantasy.. is good?

Really though, I don't think I've played a Final Fantasy I didn't like. At worst, they're okay, but this one was very good. Clive Rosfield is a big dummy who finds himself at the center of a resistance movement for plot reasons I won't mention here, but one of my favourite things about the story is that the main villain is also a big fuckin' dummy lmao. Seriously, every time Ultima is like "Surely, this time the power of friendship will not prevail", followed by "gently caress, the power of friendship prevailed. How does this keep happening??". The world of Valisthea is dense, with a ton of background political lore, but the game has a lot of ways to give you a chance to sort it all out. One of them is the Active Time Lore, wherein most of the time you can pause and get a summary of most of the major characters and settings; it's a seriously useful feature and all story-based games should adopt it. Another is to talk to your good buddy Loresman Harpocrates, who will open up the game's version of a datalog. The final way is to talk to your strategist, Vivian who will show you a continental map where you can track through all the world's major events complete with a diagram showing the relationships between nations through the historical dates and events. It's the best implementation of this kind of background exposition I've ever seen, for sure.

The battle system is somewhat contentious, as it espouses pretty much all ties to traditional FF systems and goes for a complete action system--even more so than FFXV or 7R. For the regular battles, there are no menus to manage during battles. There are only abilities, cooldowns and items. You create "builds" based on which abilities you want to load out with, which of course get unlocked over time. Then there are the giant gently caress off anime kaiju battles, which follow their own rules and are, generally speaking, all more awesome than the last.

Also the game looks real pretty:

The only real complaint I have about the game is the sidequests; pretty much all of them follow the same pattern, which is "go to a place, kill some things, and come back". There are no minigames to speak of or optional dungeons. It all kind of makes sense when you know it was made by the FF14 team, in that there are a lot of MMO-feeling inspirations, but a little disappointing nonetheless. There are rumours they're making a story DLC, so we'll see how that pans out, if it happens. But, either way, we have FF7Rebirth to look forward to for that kind of stuff.

4. The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles (PS4) - Capcom | Visual Novel/Puzzle | 2021

I came into this series with the Ace Attorney trilogy last year, and despite loving it, I wasn't sure how I felt about picking up Great Ace Attorney. I became very attached to the characters in Ace Attorney and wasn't sure if I'd form the same kind of narrative bond with a completely new set of characters. However, I am happy to say that all that worrying was absolutely stupid and unnecessary, because this game is every bit as charming and batshit insane as the others.

Despite a number of different dynamics from the original, the world of Ryunosuke, Gina, Susato, Herlock, and more all captured me just as before, and I'm deeply sad we don't have more of it. There were new spins on investigations and examining evidence, the justice system is just as hosed up as Japanifornia's, and everything is just such a trainwreck in the most fascinating ways. I definitely played this one late into the night on multiple occasions just to continue the story because I couldn't put it down, and if that isn't an endorsement, what is?

3 Spider-Man 2 (PS5) - Insomniac | Action | 2023

I was always looking forward to this game, but I'm not sure I expected it to be as good as it was. The original rated highly, to me, though it was before I ever ranked games or contributed to the GOTY threads. Miles Morales came in at number 9 back in 2020, as a smaller entry which I felt was not as strong, overall, though obviously still an enjoyable time. Spider-Man 2, however, vastly outshines both previous entries in terms of both gameplay and story. I won't go into story spoilers, but suffice to say I was surprised to see just how many characters they were able to fit into the game without it feeling bloated or unnecessary. The lines are superbly acted, the gameplay is basically just a refined version of what worked in the past, and they made the city feel alive. NPCs on the street have random conversations you can listen into, where the voice actors were told simply to improv on a topic to make it seem natural, and it works so well. There's one where two women talk about their nannying jobs and one admits she lied on her resume and had never held a baby in her life before she got it. You can go do yoga in the park. A reporter will ask you to weigh in on whether a hotdog is a sandwich. And this is just the incidental stuff.

The main story is full of A+ character moments, references and cameos from characters I never expected, and a story that kept me wanting more. They set up a ton of possible plot threads for the next entry or a DLC and I have zero doubts about whether I will be picking those up. Spider-Man has always been my favourite superhero, and after a long time of middling-at-best entries following the original Spider-Man 2 back on the PS2, I'm so glad that he's found a home for now at Insomniac, who have done the character justice AND matched the feeling I used to get in 2004 of just swinging around the city waiting for poo poo to happen.

It's just unfortunate you can't pile drive anybody off the Empire State Building anymore.

P.S. The way fast travel works in the game is loving insane and the best I've ever seen.

2. Goodbye Volcano High (PS5) - KO_OP | Visual Novel/Rhythm | 2023

Goodbye Volcano High is a lot of things all at once. It is a visual novel and a rhythm game (briefly, in spots); a story about what the past and present mean when you have no future; about being selfish, then learning how to adjust to the needs of your friends. It asks, “What does it mean to create something beautiful in the face of total, apathetic destruction?”. And the choice of setting–high school, where for many people every new choice felt like the most important one they’d ever made in their lives–was completely apropos. The game’s juxtaposition of the typical contradictory nihilism and care-so-much-about-everything-ism inherent to teenagerdom fits well against the backdrop of an actual apocalypse.

The story is told through Fang, a non-binary pteranodon and leader of a band comprising them and their two best friends, Reed and Trish. Through choices you make, you discover, as one of the characters puts it, the “connective tissue” between them and the rest of the cast, which expands beyond the three leads, but never so much that it feels hard to keep track of. You can choose to learn more about the student population at large, both through a couple pauses in the action where Fang will give a one-to-two sentence summary of people she knows at school and through the regularly updated social media feed, which adds character to the community and feels very much like it came from the minds of high school students in the bodies and lives of dinosaurs–a tribute to the writers. In the end, both you and Fang end up trying to pick up the pieces of something that feels like all it wants to do is fall apart.

In terms of gameplay, there are two main ways to interact: One is through narrative/dialogue choices and the other is through the music minigame. The former was a fresh take on a system most of us are already familiar with. In certain places, when Fang is nervous or upset, the dialogue choices will shift as you’re trying to pick them, representative of their state of mind. Boxes will split, or light on fire, or become hard and crystal, letting you know where the choice will take Fang’s emotions and the conversation. The music game can end up surprisingly challenging–unlike a Guitar Hero/Rock Band-like there are three basic mechanics to juggle involving button presses and moving the analog sticks around, which can happen simultaneously. Later songs will have a lot going on at once, giving you a lot to keep track of.

Speaking of the music, it fits the vibes perfectly. Written and performed by Dabu and Brigitte Naggar, each in-game song, in addition to the background score, has that certain angst in both lyrics and instrumentation, embodying a certain nostalgia and regret for events that haven’t even happened. At the beginning, Fang sings:

quote:

Whatever happens to me now,
It doesn’t matter anyhow
I lose myself but I remain,
Headed for all the same”

But of course, they don’t even know the world is ending at this point, so far from obvious commentary about world affairs, this is instead just the ramblings of someone who spent a lonely summer missing their friends. It is then somewhat ironic that one of the possible sets of lyrics for the ending song (and the ones I chose) contains much more optimistic overtures:

quote:

We won't sit around and let the world go by
We're gonna fly around the big, black sky tonight
And when the fire falls from on high,
We can be the pretty heroes if we try, tonight

The music adds to the experience beautifully. At a narrative level and as a meta-experience of playing it, the game simply and quite literally could not exist without it.

Truly, I think the most basic and fundamental thing I can say about this game is that I cared about it. I cared about the characters and their hopes and dreams. I cared about what they lost and had to leave behind. I cared about the connections they made. When the end came, I felt sad, both for them and for the experience coming to a close. I wanted to hear more of what they had to say, but I never will. Games interact with their stories in different ways. For some, the narrative is essential; for others, you could remove it and no one would even notice. While I enjoy both ends of the spectrum, I think games with heart that have something to say will always have an edge. If this game doesn’t hit for you, then that’s fine–-no story is going to reach everyone. I feel like this story was created for me to consume though, and I can’t say I’ve felt that particularly often.

1. Theatrhythm Final Bar Line (PS4) - indieszero | Rhythm | 2023

Keeping in mind what I said one entry up about how I love games with hear that have something to say, it may seem contradictory that this is the number one entry. However, that's just a testament to how good this game is. I never had a DS or whatever the earlier games in the series were on, so I had been waiting for a console entry for years by the time this one was announced. I played the demo and immediately knew I was going to pick it up as soon as it came out, and I went all in for the deluxe edition that included all the future DLC. I have zero regrets.

If you don't know what it is, Theatrhythm is a rhythm game that uses music from Square-Enix's vast catalogue of incredible music. The largest percentage goes to Final Fantasy games, as you'd expect, but the tracks for Theatrhythm include, also, Octopath Traveler, Live a Live, Nier, Chrono Trigger, and Xenogears, just to name a small selection. There are 385 songs just in the base game, but the DLC and deluxe version tracks pump that up to 523. You use the analog sticks and buttons in various ways to hit triggers in rhythm to the songs, and you build parties of up to 4 characters of various classes to take out enemies based on how well you do it. There's a Series Quest mode where you move directly through all the tracks that the game has for each series, each one having an optional objective to complete as you go (this is also how you unlock tracks). There's an endless mode where you keep playing through harder and harder tracks until you lose all your hearts. There's the mode where you just play whatever songs you want for fun. The game is packed with content and four different difficulty levels (though not all tracks go up to the highest one--some cap out at the 2nd highest), and I have beaten every single track on every difficulty level that they offer. There are 100 in-game achievements (called Feats) and I got all those too.

If you like rhythm games and Square's music, there's just simply zero reason not to pick this game up. Even if you don't get it on sale, it's absolutely worth it. I have over 200 hours in it this year. I wish they'd make similar games for other developers, like Nintendo. But for now, this is all we have, and even then, it's perfect. I did try out Melody of Memories or whatever the KH one is, but the gameplay just isn't good enough for me. They got the formula down for this one. Even with too many versions of Battle on the Big Bridge. I knew this would be my game of the year back in April and here we are.

By the way the list of songs used in the medley I included at the top of this post was, in case you couldn't get them all:

1. NiER - Song of the Ancients/Devola
2. FFX - Zanarkand
3. FFXI - Vana'diel March
4. FFXIV - On Westerly Winds
5. FFXIII - March of the Dreadnoughts
6. Octopath Traveler - Main Theme
7. Final Fantasy - Main Theme

--------------------

Easy list:
10. TReN
9. This Way Madness Lies
8. Forspoken
7. Super Mario Bros Wonder
6. Pokemon Scarlet/Violet
5. Final Fantasy XVI
4. The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles
3. Spider-Man 2
2. Goodbye Volcano High
1. Theatrhythm Final Bar Line

morallyobjected fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Dec 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Your list is so good, Morally. I used the soundtrack. :allears:

:glomp:

always love seeing the games people are playing. by my calculations, Forspoken would make the top ten at this point so let's just Stop the Count.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Aipsh posted:

I haven't finished two three palm-smash slam dunks of my top 10 yet so you'll all have to wait.

In the meantime, laughing and hollering at the lack of FFXVI. Clive-a-dead on arrival baybeee

the same people not including FF16 are also anarchists who don't read the rules post, so I'm not worried

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

welcome posted:

10) Final Fantasy III PR (PS4)
Fun to go back to where the job system started. Magic users are badly shafted by no ethers (even FF1 PR had these!) but they're not needed thanks to the mighty Bard.

That's the one where they went back to the spell charge system, right? But before tents? So inns were really the only option (or maybe the airship, eventually)

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

FireWorksWell posted:

It just can't be said enough that it's been a great year for games; there were a few others that didn't make my cut (SF6, BG3, SM2, FF16, Cassette Beasts) but all had aspects I liked, and posters who cherished those games can sell them on new players better than I ever could. I can't wait to see what the rest of this thread brings, I love seeing what people love about games. Games are loving great.

yeah! looking forward to picking up Octopath 2 this month. it just came out at a time when I had other games to do

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
it's a testament to just how many games there are that people will post lists of like 15 games and I'll have heard of about 2 of them lol

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

SlothBear posted:

Agreed, I'd love to hear more about how Humankind has improved.

well, given this:

Bugblatter posted:

Whenever someone posts a descending list, I scroll to the bottom and read it backwards.

ColdPie posted:

I don't know the full list off the top of my head so I start with my favorites and then work down from there until I can't think of anything else to add. Boom, list.

I hope you haven't been reading this thread!!

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Belgian Waffle posted:

30. Yoku's Island Express (6.73) - Pinball Metroidvania - Yoku is a post office worker dung beetle (I originally used mailman in this description... mailbug?) and he has just recently been assigned to Mokumana Island. Yoku can move around, pushing his stone (it's not poop but you can make it poop), and he can also position his stone by blue or orange pinball bumpers which can be flipped to knock his stone around like a pinball. Yoku, attached to his stone, will ragdoll helplessly behind it as it slams around the terrain.
The game is very novel, supremely chill ,and really cute.

I liked this game a lot when I played it years ago. more games should have pinball as a mechanic. I always wanted to check out Rollers of the Realm but it got delisted from PSN for what I assume are stupid reasons.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Alxprit posted:

3) Transistor

I love Transistor so much. probably my favourite game from them. glad to see it on a list in 2023

Saint Freak posted:

3. The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles

I’m still digesting this, but I think they’re my favorite entry in the Ace Attorney series. Especially Herlock’s trolling.

I was replaying some cases for trophies and my wife happened to see the scene in the second case of game 1 where he's just hanging on the coat rack on the wall to see if it could hold a tiara and she couldn't stop laughing for like five minutes lol

morallyobjected fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Dec 22, 2023

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

fridge corn posted:

Well veeg did play mostly Nintendo games this year. I did inform him that 2024 will be the Year of the RPG from Japan so I expect him to act accordingly

though to be fair, stream-wise, they weren't that different

he just played longer PS/PC games and a bunch of short Nintendo games

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Words about games

1. What a truly bespoke list. appreciate the words as always

2. I'm glad someone else had TReN on their list. truly a little gem of a game, capable of capturing a moment and evoking the kinds of thoughts/feelings you mentioned.
2a. How dare you make me realise I stylised the name wrong in my list, forcing me to go back and edit it??

3. I thought about arranging some music into a single medley of each of my top ten games instead of what I eventually did, and I got as far as TReN before realising I didn't connect with the music as much in some of the other games enough to include them. a great little soundtrack though.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
The real hero of this thread (besides VG) is Beanpole for replying to as many people's lists as he does. I do read at least parts of every single person's list, but BP puts in the work of making sure many people's get acknowledged publicly, so props to him!

Only like three more pages of lists to catch up on..

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

VideoGames posted:

It is on the list, but not soon. Sounds like I should rectify this?

veeg literally every game we recommend cannot be "soon" on your list, you have like 500 games to play lol

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

VideoGames posted:

16. Theatrhythm Final Bar Line (Indiezero) (2023)
131 points. Voted for 25 times. Appeared #1 three times. Average of 5.2

This game is incredible! The only reason I have played 15% of it is because I need to play the games the music comes from first!! If you know these games then bathe in this game!

this game is so good. super deluxe version full price no regrets baybeeeeee

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
Spider-Man 2 has the best video game movement since Spider-Man 2

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Infinitum posted:

Quip of the Year
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ry5s1mW1xEM&t=2s

Game does Venom and Kraven justice. Hype for the eventual NG+ update.

knew what that was gonna be before I clicked it :allears:

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

There's one game that I'm kind of surprised is this high since I felt like a lot of people didn't like it as much as I did. But I keep double checking the lower list and it's definitely not on there so, guess we'll see how high it gets!

don't worry, Galgun 2 is definitely making the top 10

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
Alan Wake 2 was cool as an experience but I did not like almost any part of actually playing the game, unfortunately. I'm looking forward to Control 2 though.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

An Actual Princess posted:

sorry, with suikoden 2 remake, eiyuden chronicles, and a new saga game all on the near horizon, 2024 will also be year of the jrpg

forgetting entirely about FF7Rebirth lol

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

MikeC posted:

So can anyone qualify how Octo 2's story and pacing is better. I haven't read the entire thread but a lot of the people voting for it say it is better than Octo 1 which I got very bored of half way through and didn't finish. I want to try this but I also don't want to light 60 bucks on fire.

all the characters are better written and have better stories. there's not really a point where you have to grind. they also have characters pair off into side stories sometimes

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

VideoGames posted:

01. BLOODBORNE (FromSoftware) (2015)
A BILLION POINTS, ALL THE TENS, ALL THE VOTES, EYES ON THE INSIDE

veeg, or some say, veegy, do you mod our posts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
a fun time as always. looking forward to playing some of these a year late as usual