Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I only want to post games I've finished so I'll be waiting until the last few days to drop my list, even though nothing I'm currently doing has a chance of taking a top spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

My brain is broken in a way that makes writing positively about things really difficult and take forever. I was going to write up something for every game I played but I decided to drop the games I felt 'meh' or worse about, as well as the ones outside my top 10 that I didn't have anything to say or are extremely well known already. This top 10 took me about 10 hours to write over multiple weeks and I will never be happy with it so it’s time to :justpost:.

Honorable mentions:
Amid Evil - Great fps, very cool and unique weapons, just barely missed the 10 spot.
Dredge - Peak of podcast games, one of the few games I've 100%'d
Last Call BBS - Just like every other Zachtronics game this is excellent but beyond my ability to get in deep.
Taiji - The Witness but 2d and not stuck inside its own rear end in a top hat.
Lingo - Word puzzle game, extremely good but I am bad at words.
Doom 2 - Better tools than Doom but the map makers decided they needed the game to be hard more than they needed it to be good. I might try mods next year.
Shadowverse - I played this ccg for the single player campaign. The first arc is absolute poo poo, every arc after that leaps up in quality until it’s actually pretty good by the end.
Melatonin - Indie Rhythm Heaven, it doesn't match up to its inspiration but it's solid.

10. The Murder of Sonic the Hedgehog - Just a nice story with fun characters and good jokes. The running minigame is pretty good and difficulty-wise was a good match for me.

10. Patrick's Parabox - The peak of block pushing puzzle games. Most blocks are a level unto themselves, and can be entered by any other block, even if that block is a copy of itself. It constantly challenges you to think in new and clever ways to get the pieces where they need to be through methods that are really hard to describe but simple to do in practice.

9. Against the Storm - Roguelite city builder with an interesting setting. It manages a perfect balance where everything is just consistent enough that there’s always a path to success but you will be forced to improvise along the way. I like the seal maps they added recently, they add a few more challenges that force more adaptation on your part, both to complete the challenges and to keep your settlement going for longer than usual as your resources deplete.

8. Myst - I can hardly believe this came out in 1993, it looks so good by early 3d standards; a lot of it still holds up today. I found the worlds of Myst very interesting, seeing strange natural environments and how technology was integrated into them. You’re not doing arbitrary block puzzles to unlock a door, you’re figuring out how a machine works so that you can get it to do what you want. A lot of the puzzles feel natural as a result.

My only issue is that there’s a few places where a path is hidden in a very pixel hunt adventure game kind of way. If every Myst game came with an option to highlight every path and interactable they’d be a lot better for it..

7. We Were Here Forever - Last year I guaranteed that this would be on my list and it didn’t disappoint. Great puzzle game centered around communication between the two players. It has a good variety to the challenges you face, making you describe abstract shapes, decipher cryptic instructions, build a path for your partner etc.

It also does a good job of mixing up what role you and your partner play in each puzzle. Sometimes you are on equal footing, other times one is a rat in a maze while the partner gives them directions. This lets them play with a lot of unique puzzle setups, though it occasionally makes a puzzle unsatisfying for one player. There are a couple of challenges where I don’t even know how the solution worked and just followed my friend’s lead. It’s a pretty big problem for the otherwise great series that keeps this game out of my top 5 this year. Still, it’s the best co-op puzzle game I’ve played so far.

6. Doom (1993) - It’s still one of the best fps games of all time. I’m not writing more about this, you all know about Doom.

5. Riven - The sequel to Myst, in case you didn’t know. It does a great job improving on the formula. The ages of Myst were beautiful, but also empty of any life. Riven is lived in, people and animals react to your presence, the villain is active and aware of your efforts, and you aren’t the only one opposing him. The puzzles are good, when they aren’t complete horseshit anyway.

4. Northern Journey - Don’t touch this if you’re arachnophobic. I had a great time exploring the strange world this game had to offer. There’s a beauty to the environments that I came to appreciate as I was slowly clearing the realm of every spider and bug while getting hopelessly lost. It’s important to keep your surroundings in mind as the mountains and fjords are treacherous as hell.

It’s technically an fps, but where Doom wants you to feel like a badass Northern Journey wants you to feel small, and scared, and mortal, and it succeeds. All of your weapons are slow, weak, or inaccurate and you will often feel outmatched when a horde of spiders is trying to run you down. You will rarely fight in a flat plain where you can freely circle strafe the enemy, there is almost always a cliff or a river that will kill you if you get careless. The only way to overcome these threats is to fight cautiously, always keeping enemies as far from you as possible and engaging them in as few numbers as you can.

3. Mechabellum - A strategy game that requires no micromanagement of your units. Perfectly balanced; there is always a counter strategy to what your opponent is doing, though it is rarely obvious. In 40 hours I don't feel like any two matches have been the same. Looks good too. It’s absolutely worth buying right now, but it's important to note that it will be free to play on official release.

2. The Case of the Golden Idol - Great mystery game, the closest to the quality of Return of the Obra Dinn that anyone has managed. Each murder is a finely crafted puzzle to be solved through careful deduction… or sometimes by checking the grammar of the fill in the blank sentence. That’s my only issue with the game. The overarching story quickly goes to some completely wild places and has plenty of good twists to keep it interesting.

1. Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective - I love this game without reservation. I love the goofy characters, the story, and all the puzzles. Even the obligatory stealth section is good. The puzzle difficulty was never an issue for me, not to say that I never got stuck but it was always my own fault when I did, usually because I remembered trying a solution even though I hadn’t. Ghost Trick’s tone swings wildly between goofy cartoon antics and heartbreaking tragedy without cheapening moments on either end of the spectrum.

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Dec 30, 2023

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

That's way too much Nintendo music. The 90s edgelord in me is getting upset!

You're telling me the Dark World isn't edgy enough for you??

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I am switching out my #10 spot from "The Murder of Sonic The Hedgehog" to "Patrick's Parabox"

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

And they're making him start off next year with Gollum

The monsters

Expectations have to be reset. You play nothing but the best and you start to forget why they're special.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I'm looking forward to playing Hollow Knight: Silksong and Deltarune chapter 3 in the year 2024.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Top 10 games I'm going to play/finish in 2024:

10. Final Fantasy 6 - I had a pretty good time running through this in '22. Unfortunately, I put it down for a bit and lost track of the story, and it's hard to come back after that. I'm gonna start this one over and make sure to keep some notes about what's happening to keep myself on track.
9. Void Stranger - I need a good puzzle game to work on while I listen to podcasts and I've almost finished Patrick's Parabox. I think it's interesting how even the store page is extremely tight lipped on the matter of what this game is actually about.
8. Anodyne 2: Return to Dust - This one's been installed on my computer for over a year now, its time to either play it or remove it. I heard it's like a mix of the 2d and 3d zeldas and I like both of those.
7. Paranormasight - I usually hate horror but I've enjoyed it when it's in VN form. I hear good things about the first half of this story and I doubt it can end on a worse note than Raging Loop which I still have an overall positive feel for in spite of the train wreck it becomes.
6. Prince of Persia: Sands of Time - As an edgy teen I loved PoP Warrior Within, it's about time to come back to the game that fans with taste preferred.
5. Yakuza 3 - I played the remakes of the first two games so I am coming into this prepared for a drastic decrease in quality. Still, I doubt this game will lack in what matters for the series which is stupid bullshit side stories.
4. Hi Fi Rush - Tried it once last year, thought it was really good, never came back. Why am I like this?
3. Slay the Princess - Goons will not stop recommending this game so I guess I have to play it.
2. Pizza Tower - I'm 33% complete on this one, great game but I am not the kind of person who enjoys mastering a game to get high scores and such.
1. Cultic - Fills a little bit of the void in my soul left by DUSK

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

We're all agreeing to act surprised when BG3 is #1, right?

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Grapplejack posted:

pizza tower got robbed. fuckin goons are too goddamned old to play good games now, it's why everything is an RPG now!!!!!

I foolishly waited until after my votes were locked in to finish it. Would have made my #3 if I wrapped it up in December.

Also thanks for all the work you did on this VG but I think you missed my #10 swap from murder of sonic to patrick's parabox as it's not listed in the 1 pointers

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jan 14, 2024

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

It's unfortunate that data cannot accurately predict what games I will like. I really didn't like Elden Ring, while Grounded and Scarlet Nexus are on my ignore list, leaving only The World Ends With You and its remake :v:.

It's interesting that I popped up as a few people's closest comparison for completely different sets of common games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Honestly I've soured on West of Loathing even without the dev crimes.Its a relatively long comedy game without much variety to it's jokes.