Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I have a fuckton of gifs and screenshots of my #1 game but minimal/none for the rest of my picks and I feel like I should go back and get like, a couple per game just to show that I do love them, I just love #1 A LOT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Aipsh posted:

I haven't finished two three palm-smash slam dunks of my top 10 yet so you'll all have to wait.

In the meantime, laughing and hollering at the lack of FFXVI. Clive-a-dead on arrival baybeee

me charging up my megaflare off-screen

I have a few games I want to finish first before I post my final list, hopefully can get it done in two weeks or so.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I would simply make a robot that both looked cool and performed well :smuggo:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

FF16 has probably the most hype moments out of the games I played this year. The DLC they just dropped yesterday helps too.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Granblue Fantasy Versus: Rising is coming out on PC tomorrow and I have the feeling it's going to end up being a last minute addition to my list.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I am one of those people who got into Granblue Fantays Versus Rising just because of how beginner friendly it is (hell Endorph has kicked my rear end in a public lobby before) and I'm glad it's a late addition to someone's list (spoiler alert it's also going to be a late addition to mine).

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Dec 22, 2023

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Process of Elimination looks like something I should try out next year. I'd just need to fit it in... somewhere...

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

buddychrist10 posted:

Honestly next year might be even BETTER for JRPGs. FF7 Remake Part 2, Eiyuden Chronicles, Saga Emerald Beyond, Unicorn Overlord, Vision of Mana, the Suikoden 1+2 remaster, the Paper Mario Thousand Year Door Remake, Yakuza 8 and Metaphor Refantazio......I'm sure there will be some more that haven't even been announced yet!

Granblue Fantasy Relink is also looking pretty good if you want more of an action bent on things.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

This year I’ve been finding that I appreciate games that simply have a definite ending and don’t feel the need to be my forever game, so while in past years my lists have usually been dominated by thing like MMOs and live service games this year I’m letting them take the back seat. I feel kinda bad that I don’t have pictures for every game on this list, but eh.

Let’s start off with honourable mentions:
Street Fighter 6: It’s a great game, I just wasn’t feeling in the mood for fighting games when it came out and I never got back to it. I do want to go back and complete World Tour mode at the very least. This isn’t the game’s fault, it’s a me problem. Sorry!
Honkai Star Rail: Decently fun turn-based JRPG, but the way the writing quality took a dive a couple of patches into the game along with some real bad gacha luck meant that I quit a couple of months after release. Them’s the gacha breaks.
World of Warcraft: Dragonflight: I got back into WoW with Dragonflight after hearing a lot of good about it on expansion launch, and I did in fact enjoy myself a lot. I went in with the mindset of comparing how stuff played differently between WoW and FF14, thanks to now being a veteran 14 player (the last time I had played WoW was before I started 14), and it’s interesting just how similar tanking felt between the two MMOs, to be honest. Unfortunately I flew too high too fast in terms of juggling alts because I wanted to try out as many tank classes as I could, and I burnt myself out a bit by the time the first major patch hit. Add on a new FF14 patch and I didn’t get back to it. Still, I heard it’s still doing pretty well in terms of improving QOL every patch, and I might come back to check things out in an expac or two.

Stuff I own that I’ll get to in 2024:
Chants of Sennar
Case of the Golden Idol

13: Final Fantasy XIV Endwalker

My forever MMO. This is low on my list not because I think the recently released content is bad or anything, it’s just that 2023 has probably been the year where I actually played a fuckton of single-player games and I want to give more focus to them on my list. What has been released this year has been pretty fun to clear, and the story’s been decent even though it leans very heavy on the FF4 references (one I haven’t really played myself), and I’m glad that there haven’t really been any real grindathons released because like I said, a lot of other games to play this year. Decent story, fun fights, great music, what more can someone ask for?

12: Old School Runescape Leagues

Ok, so Runescape, that MMO that everyone loved in primary school. Old School’s a branch off a 2007 backup that’s been getting its own independent updates, and Leagues are a semi-regular 2-month long event that’s just about giving players what basically amounts to a legal private server. Crazy powerful buffs and increased experience/drop rates and a long checklist of tasks to complete for points were the perfect combination to keep my lizard brain thinking about this game that hit all my nostalgia points for a solid month straight before I burnt out. Getting levels I could never be arsed to get and fighting bosses I was never strong enough to in the main game was really fun and scratched all the itches. What a beautiful month of raw frenzied Skinner box munching.

11: Holocure

I’ll be honest, I mostly checked this out because of the vtubers. It’s a fun (and most importantly, free) spin on the bullet heaven genre, and if I ever have 20 minutes to burn I might as well tear through an idol-themed stage while I’m at it. Character design in terms of gameplay is inspired with each character feeling distinct from every other even when they have similar theming, and the vast array of weapons and passive effects and how they combine and interact have been a joy to mess around with. There’s even a farming and fishing side game for when you’re feeling it. If you ever need to zone out to a sea of bullet effects and flashy colours for 20 minutes, this is the game for you.

10: Pokemon Radical Red

Pokemon, we all know it. I hadn’t played one in years and this year I had the sudden urge to try a Pokemon romhack, specifically one that was basically just a vanilla game but updated with new mons and mechanics (I really did not want to have to read the story and writing of non-vanilla romhacks). After some searching around looking for recommendations I decided to try out Pokemon Radical Red, a romhack of Fire Red that advertised itself as mostly a difficulty hack. For some added challenge I decided to only use mons that had my favourite type, Poison. And so began a harrowing journey of figuring out actual high level pokemon battle strats even on Easy mode.

There’s a lot of quality of life additions to the romhack that let you skip the catching and grinding portions of your average pokemon game, which I wasn’t super invested in, and instead lets you fully engage with the battle system, which turned out to be really fun! A bunch of mons got rebalanced and it was really fun breaking out an old favourite of mine like Arbok and seeing it destroy a Deoxys in a boss battle. Pretty much every battle was a devious puzzle for me to figure out with my limited pieces thanks to my self-inflicted restriction, and it was cool to rotate mons in and out of my team to see what worked and what didn’t. My Nidoking, Crown, however, got to be Ol’ Reliable and pretty much never left, getting to show off just how much of a king he was by taking out legendaries left and right (did I mention that sometimes trainers just have legendaries for no reason?). What a workhorse. Here’s to you, Crown.

I’m already pondering what type my next monotype run will be (probably Bug). I can highly recommend this romhack if anyone really wants to engage with the battle system of Pokemon.

9: Arknights

Pretty much the only gacha game I’ve stuck with long term. A new year means a whole bunch of new events, most of which build on previous ones and which give new looks at this, what, 4 year old game’s huge cast of characters. Most of the year’s events have been pretty fun reads, but there’s one in particular that stood out to me (and not just because of its length because goddamn that was a long read): Lone Trail. The setting has never really been shy about mostly being expies of real-life countries, and the American equivalent in Columbia is no exception. Most events set in it have been somewhat-veiled looks at concepts that people like to associate with America a lot like for-profit prisons or the scientific establishment’s willingness to prey on the desperate poor. This event’s all about the relationship between science and the military-industrial complex, alongside a lot of questions about why people do science in the first place and what it’s worth in a world with much looser ethics than ours (or around the same, depending on who you ask), all wrapped up in a sublime NASA-chic retrofuturistic aesthetic. Kinda funny how in a year with Starfield I feel like a gacha game got that specific aesthetic down a lot better. The story itself was great, with great banter between the characters and actually touching moments as characters reflect on how science has affected their lives and motivations, for better or for worse, whether they were rescued walking superweapons born from the depths of scientific malpractice or whether they were one of the foremost geniuses of their generation who dreamt of touching the sky. The music is great, capturing the essence of the era by essentially crossing Interstellar’s soundtrack with some high-energy beats to get players going while figuring out the maps.

The gameplay continues to be pretty fun, with every event introducing some (usually interesting to work with) gimmicks, never so hard as to require pulling out the credit card for the latest gacha hotness (hilariously a lot of the time the new banner character doesn’t work particularly well with the new event gimmicks) yet still enough for my brain to feel satisfied every time I clear a challenge map. 4 years in and I still think it’s probably one of the best gachas on the market if you’re into tower defense and a lot of reading.

8: Case of the Golden Idol

I was gonna save this one for last year but I decided to try it out after I wrote up this list and was hooked. A very atmospheric artstyle and score, and some good brainteasers and puzzles that scratch my Obra Dinn itch. There's only one issue: it's too drat short. I finished it and the two DLCs in like, nine hours. But still, it was a very fun nine hours. Definitely worth the price IMO.

7: Tyrion Cuthbert: Attorney of the Arcane

A charming Ace Attorney clone set in a world with (thankfully) consistent magic and you use that magic to solve cases? Hell yeah, sign me up. It’s probably one of the best games inspired by AA to come out, with solid writing (though even the game devs admit that the writing only really finds its footing by case 3, and I concur) and characters that I actually like, and most importantly, crimes that I actually found interesting to solve. The dynamic between the eponymous main character Tyrion and his assistant is different enough from Phoenix Wright and his assistant(s) in AA that I didn’t feel like the game was aping its inspiration, and the supporting cast weren’t slouches either, though I do feel like you can definitely feel the Kickstarter-funded budget at times. The music’s great with a mostly jazz soundtrack, varied enough to not get grating, and the high-energy tracks for the courtroom got me going as good as any of the equivalents from AA proper (though there was one track that plays during evidence presentation moments that really got on me after a while, but I mostly blame that on me taking too drat long to figure stuff out).

Overall, if you want a solid Ace Attorney clone with magic (well, more magic than in the actual AA games), that has great writing and characters, and that puts its limited budget to great use, I can highly recommend this game. Hell, pick it up full price, it’s not that expensive and it’s worth it. I look forward to any future sequel from the team, and hope that it hits the ground running after the fantastic run-up that was this game.

6: Hi-Fi Rush

Yeah, everyone’s talking about it, I don’t have that much left to add. I’ve never been great at either character action games or rhythm games and yet I immediately started having a ton of fun in this game that’s a mashup of the two genres. It helps that staying on rhythm isn’t required to actually play the game at all (outside of some platformer puzzles), being just a damage boost in combat, and eventually I found myself hand-slapping and foot-tapping to the beat as I beat up robots willy-nilly to a killer soundtrack that’s pretty much the perfect mixtape.

Also the game is funny, incredibly so. Just perfect comic timing and quips and the occasional fourth wall break that doesn’t belabour itself. The cast of characters are fun, your team has good development over the course of the story, and they get their funny moments without having to break character. Never have I laughed more at someone getting their head bonked against a doorway as someone else tries to carry their unconscious body around.

5: Ghost Trick Remaster

I never did play the original Ghost Trick release, whether on physical or emulated, so this HD remaster was my starting point and I absolutely loved it? Loved the characters (best boy Missile), the story gripped me, the art and music were pretty much perfect and the remaster elevated them instead of butchering them. The puzzles were fun to figure out and sometimes the game throws a curveball of a new system at you to make things interesting. There were a couple of puzzles that took me a while to figure out but it never got to the point of being frustrating. Maybe the game’s a bit short compared to a blockbuster, but hey, short and sweet is great these days, and the ending was especially sweet. If you haven’t played Ghost Trick before, I can highly recommend this.

4: Octopath Traveller 2

I’ll be honest and say that I haven’t finished this game yet, it being a huge game and it being a busy busy year, but I’ve finished half of the playable characters’ storylines and am about halfway through everyone else’s. The gameplay systems and vast world are enough for me to rate it highly in my list of games though. I haven’t played a turn-based RPG in a while, and it’s fun learning just how exactly to break the system over my knee and throw out insane amounts of damage every turn like any other good turn-based RPG. I never did play Octopath 1 but having been told about which QoL bits in 2 weren’t present in 1, I think I can say that it’s definitely a step ahead. I enjoy the character interactions and especially like the new dual-character major sidequests but I do wish there were a few more opportunities to see the cast interact more. Also last but not least, the soundtrack is a solid 10/10 with not a single limp tune. Pretty much a perfect RPG OST.

3: Granblue Fantasy Versus: Rising

https://i.imgur.com/1yKo4QE.mp4

As I type this I am currently fighting the urge to go play this game. This game only came out like a week ago and I’m already starting to have dreams about it. I am terrible at fighting games and yet I feel the need to keep jumping into ranked and get my rear end kicked. If I’m really lucky I’ll do the rear end kicking instead. Who the gently caress knows, I certainly don’t. Even if I lose I can slowly feel myself incrementally getting better and better, inch by inch, as whatever stupid bullshit timing or counterplay or something burns itself into my unconscious memory so that I can maybe perform it again the next time I run into that poo poo (and I will, I definitely will). Also I earn progress towards some ridiculous cosmetics and poo poo even if I lose so hell yeah my road to looking obnoxious as hell continues.

Also sometimes I can pull off some hype-rear end poo poo like in that clip above.

I didn’t play the original release of Versus but I can say that Rising has been incredibly newbie-friendly even for someone who’s pretty much a complete beginner at FGs. The simplified inputs system is intuitive and I can spend less time learning technical commands and flubbing inputs and more time actually figuring out when to use specials (and flubbing inputs anyway but in a less bad way than technicals). I’ve only really played one character so far, so that’s what, 1/28th of the cast? Haven’t gotten very far into story mode either. And then there’s the Fall Guys side mode. Suffice it to say that I’ve barely even scratched the surface of this game, and I’ll probably be playing it for quite a while. It also has a pretty generous free edition, so it’s worth trying out if you’re the slightest bit interested. You’ll have fun even if you’ve never really touched a fighting game before. I know I did.

2: Final Fantasy XVI

I’m a big fan of the CBU3 team at Square Enix thanks to their work on FF14, and when I saw that they would be making the next mainline single player Final Fantasy I was right on the hype train from the start. The hype grew and grew with every trailer and playthrough and hell, I got a PS5 just for it. And then the game came out and was my hype worth it?

Yeah I’d say like pretty much 90% of my hype was warranted. Firstly, the game is beautiful. I was happy to just find a spot and sit there for 10 minutes to take in the sights. Secondly, the English voice work is top tier. Ben Starr plays the perfect Clive, and it’s pretty impossible for me to separate the character from the voice. Clive’s just one of the most likable JRPG protagonists in recent memory for me, looking like an edgelord on the surface but a kind man with his own issues underneath. There’s a subtlety to the voice work and the writing and the acting for him that just gets across who Clive is perfectly. The rest of the cast aren’t slouches either, with Ralph Ineson as Cid, Stewart Clarke as Dion and the late Stephen Critchlow as Byron all giving top tier performances as well (not to say that the rest of the cast are bad, those 3 just came to mind first). The story’s fun to follow along with, with the beginning being more dark fantasy before transitioning over to a more classic FF “kill God” plot that manages to keep the thematics of the first half going instead of fully abandoning them. I do think that there’s a few moments where the plot gets sluggish, and Jill was very underutilised, but I think the high points of the story make the game worth it.

Speaking of the high points, my god. Every single Eikon battle was an absolute feast. Just some cracked-rear end Asura’s Wrath bullshit going on while the composer Soken is just going all out on some of his best works to score the fights. The earlier Eikon battles are a bit one-note because they’re mostly tutorials but by the Typhon fight it’s all just Italian chef kiss perfetto, no complaints. The Titan fight is insane. The Bahamut fight is probably the best Bahamut fight in the entire Final Fantasy series. The final battle is filled with insane classic JRPG spectacle and bullshit (positive). Even the recently released mini DLC’s final boss was spectacularly insane. They pretty much put an Armored Core boss into a Final Fantasy and made it work, kicked rear end. The battle system against regular enemies is pretty fun too, just blasting out Titan counterattacks and Bahamut laser beams and Zantetsukens out your rear end at some random bandits to really show them who’s boss. Never gets old.

Is it a perfect game? No. Is it exactly like the other Final Fantasies of yore? No. Is it a good game? Hell yes, I’d say it’s great. If you have a PS5, I’d say it’s worth checking out. If you’re on PC, it’s worth the wait. Get in there and Clive your heart out.

1: Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon

The pulsing of the Coral engine. The whining of the boosters. The G-forces pulling at you as you quickboost to avoid a laser beam. You can pretty much feel it all as you play, tearing a trail across Rubicon’s skies.

https://i.imgur.com/Lrok9RO.mp4

I have not played an Armored Core before this game. Hell, I haven’t really played many FromSoft games in general. I was worried I wasn’t really going to click with this game. But goddamn. Hell yeah I clicked with it. I’ve spent like 60% of my playtime in the garage making pretty mechs and working with the emblem system to make an Armored Core that screams “me!”.

I platinumed the game, getting S-ranks in every single mission, working my rear end off to beat missions/bosses as fast as possible and with as little damage taken as possible (gently caress you Snail Balteus).

https://i.imgur.com/cH8hLIA.mp4

I had insane amounts of fun unlocking new pieces for my mech and putting together the right robot for the job. So much fun and I hadn’t even touched PvP, which is its own beast.

But what really put this game at the top of my list, what really kept me thinking about this game for the several months since it released, wasn’t really the customisation or the gameplay (amazing as they were).

https://i.imgur.com/irRHpXR.mp4

It was the story, the characters, the themes. I thought about Handler Walter, the person in charge of handing you all your missions and who seemed to not care about you. He had his secrets. I thought about V.IV Rusty, my trusty buddy, who always came in to save my rear end, always dependable. He had his secrets. I thought about Ayre, the Rubiconian Coral wave who was just a voice in your head, helping you out and guiding you during your missions. She too, had her secrets. “Cinder” Carla, “Chatty” Stick, V.II Snail (bastard), G5 Iguazu, G1 Michigan, “Middle” Flatwell. An incredible, memorable cast, and I didn’t know any of their faces. All communication is done via voice comms. All the story is from mission briefings and mission chatter. Noone ever shows up outside their mech. There’s never a single screen showing their true face, just their mech’s head. At this point, you can argue that their AC is their true face, and hell, you’re not wrong. There’s a surprising amount of characterisation in how a character’s AC is built, what parts it uses, what parts they swap out between story beats. But the real work is all in the voice, and it helps that the entire cast of voice actors are putting out some of the best performances of their lives in this game, for both English and Japanese dubs. There’s just an incredible amount of emotion and personality in every voice line, and it needs it thanks to the faceless nature of the game, and it works out. Just an absolutely phenomenal performance by everyone on the cast.

https://i.imgur.com/wJituuB.mp4

And then, there’s the story and themes. I’ll focus on the themes more because I feel like this is the real meat of the game and what it’s trying to say. The main question that the game tries to ask can be summed up by a couple of quotes. “It’s just a job, 621” and “There’s no greater threat than power without purpose!” What is your purpose here on Rubicon? Just here to make money so that you can buy your way out of being a merc? Or will you find something more fulfilling along the way? Throw yourself into corporate politics? Help the locals out in their resistance? Discover more about Rubicon’s past and the Fires of Ibis that consumed it in the past? Choose your path, any path, but you should at least choose.

FromSoft’s obsession with fire symbology is pretty famous even for someone like me who hasn’t played many of their games, and considering that the title of the game literally contains the word Fires it’s safe to say that it rears its head once more. This time it’s related to the three possible endings of the game (that you’ll see all 3 of if you go for NG++ anyway). Each ending corresponds with a different aspect of fire and what it symbolises. Fires of Raven shows fire in its most destructive aspect. You burn an entire star system, after all. It is simply dead, no rebirth, no rise from the ashes. What you did made you a monster, but if Walter and Carla were right, it was worth it. It was worth the destruction. Liberator of Rubicon is fire as a symbol of hope, a sole lantern in the dark that sparks a bonfire (in a positive way, not a planet-burning way). And in Alea Iacta Est, fire takes the form of a catalyst, the forge that promises to remake humanity, with you as a Prometheus figure who steals the fire of Coral Release from the realm of Allmind and changing all of humanity and Coral in the process. That’s just how I see it though, and really it’s just a secondary theme that I wanted to waffle about a bit.

If there is one weakness of the game, it’s the soundtrack, which isn’t bad but it is kinda understated. It does have some absolute bangers like Steel Haze (Rusted Pride) though, so that’s good. And hey, the rest of the game is pretty much perfect, so I can’t fault it too hard.

I’m glad I decided to take the leap and try out Armored Core 6. A choice I made in the dark that ultimately turned out to be worth it.

Let’s go. We’ll chase the clouds above Rubicon.

Quick list
10: Pokemon Radical Red
9: Arknights
8: Case of the Golden Idol
7: Tyrion Cuthbert: Attorney of the Arcane
6: Hi-Fi Rush
5: Ghost Trick Remastered
4: Octopath Traveller 2
3: Granblue Fantasy Versus: Rising
2: Final Fantasy XVI
1: Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Dec 27, 2023

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Alxprit posted:

I have been playing Radical Red using a bug monotype and while having extremely buff Ledian is amazing I think I probably chose wrong with my overall team. They really should call Easy Mode "Less Hard" Mode instead because man it kicked my rear end so much. I'm at the Elite Four now but I took a bit of a break to recuperate from the mental strain of figuring out how to win most fights. Quiver Dance/Victory Dance buff spam seems to be the way to go though. I don't have a way to deal with entry hazards, terrain, or weather, so I just have to hit them harder than they can hit me, y'know?

It's fascinating what goes through the mind of intense competitive-focused Pokemon people. I don't think I'll ever truly get into that mindset, but it's fun to pretend I belong for a little bit.

Oh I wouldn't pretend that I'm an intense competitive-focused Pokemon guy either, I completed it on easy mode lol

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I started playing Case of the Golden Idol after I wrote up my list and it's going a lot faster than I expected so I might have an addition to make in a couple of days once I finish these DLC cases.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Darke GBF posted:

god I wish I was even remotely competent at fighting games. they seem so fun

unfortunately, quarter circle turns are the gaming equivalent of open heart surgery mixed with rocket science. alas

I am patently dogshit at fighting games (ask all the goons who whipped my rear end despite playing characters they've never played in for-fun random-only rooms) and I can say that either Granblue or Streets with their simple input options are God's gift to newbies like us. Like, you'll still get trashed starting out, but at least you can use the fancy dandy skills and actually try to incorporate them into your gameplan rather than flail around trying to do quarter circles and Z motions and stuff.

Hell, Granblue's got a free edition that lets you play online and everything, might as well give it a whirl.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Updated my list to add in Case of the Golden Idol at #8.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

The Turkish Owl posted:

For real.

I bought Elsinore as well. Sweet as hell concept.

Same, it's hella cheap when it's on sale and I like timeline fuckery games.

Darke GBF posted:

7. Armored Core 6: Fires of Rubicon

It’s good. The customization on offer for your arsenal and mech, including the paintjob and logos was superb, and I switched up what weapons I was using quite often just because if something looked fun I wanted to try it. I wish there had been more encounters like the crawler, but I enjoyed my time with AC6 from start to finish. This is a game that wouldn’t have sold at all if it didn’t have From’s now-sterling name on it, and I’m glad they were able to return to a classic series and see some success with it, creating new fans (including myself) in the process. V6 Rusty is our guy.

Buddy, it's V.IV Rusty... 4 not 6!!!

He would forgive you anyway.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Manoueverable posted:

As many people have also noted, Granblue Fantasy Versus Rising is a game very well suited to beginners with simplified controls. Both that and SF6 are very good entry points into the genre, but if even those aren't clicking then yeah, the genre may just not be for you.

I can vouch for Rising being very good at getting people interested in FGs actually playing FGs, and it has a pretty generous free edition to boot.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I finished Chants of Sennaar last night, it was great overall and really scratched the Obra Dinn itch though I agree that the stealth segments were pretty meh.

There were a couple of "I'm really dumb and stupid and missed obvious stuff" moments like how in area 4 I missed the page that unlocks the super basic terms of that area's language so I was just stumbling around like a headless chicken for longer than usual, and also in area 5 I struggled hard until I figured out exactly how to spin the puzzle rings when using a controller to play (hint: it's not the same as how you usually interact with puzzle stuff so it was kinda annoying!).

Overall great aesthetics, especially the vibrant colours that defined every area and gave them all very different vibes, and the strength of the conlang writing systems where I started being able to identify word grammatical categories before I actually figured out what they meant exactly just from glyph features.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

My top 10 weapons in Armored Core 6

10: Chainsaw
It's a chainsaw. A big one.

9: Laser rifle
Lightweight, fast, can snipe MTs across the map.

8: Pilebunker
I didn't use this very much tbh, but I put it at number 8 because of my respect of it.

7: Pulse blade
Ol' Reliable (melee)

6. Linear rifles
Ol' Reliable (ranged)

5. Shoulder laser cannons
For when you really want to blind your enemies while blasting off their faces.

4. Stun needle launcher
It's hosed up that a story mission-mandatory weapon is this good. Very satisfying to shoot enemies with, big chunky booms.

3. Miniguns (both arms and shoulders)
Becoming Gundam Heavyarms was all I really wanted ever since I heard about this game and I'm glad that I could.

2. Duckett pistols
It's a Desert Eagle but for your AC.

1. Laser slicer
As featured by my best buddy V.IV Rusty. You can Darth Maul spin your way into a staggered light AC's face and with an Assault Armor combo and Basho arms equipped you're pretty much guaranteed to kill it before it can recover and use repair kits. Spin2Win.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

DC Murderverse posted:

Someone should pull an Asylum and make a real Curse of the Golden Idol that’s just a janky sudoku or something

Also since I’m here, a question about the game, specifically the dinner party puzzle (spoiler for the solution ahead): how the gently caress are you supposed to logic your way into knowing “Darkhand” is a part of the solution? I kinda just picked it because it sounded right and I was down to two wrong boxes, I don’t know how I would have gotten it otherwise.

IIRC there's a note somewhere in Ada's belongings that's like "You know what to do with this (poison), do it tonight. -Darkhand"

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I need to try out Roottrees and Elsinore. Probably Slay the Princess too (though I might just wait for that expanded release people mentioned.

And then there's Infinite Wealth and FF7R2 and Granblue Relink and gah

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Got one ending in Elsinore so far, good poo poo, just going around telling everyone all the plot spoilers of Hamlet is pretty fun.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Oh hey cool I made it as the list is starting to come in. Too bad I'll probably be asleep for the top 20 or so.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

This low rank must be the work of CHAOS

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Infinitum posted:

I believe it's at 37 points, just edging out Dragonflight at 36

That's FF14, not 16.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

It feels like all the stuff on my list either didn't make top 60 or are in the upper third of it.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Pentiment was my GOTY 2022 and I'm glad to see it still get a lot of love.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

For a list that didn't include BG3 or TOTK I'm surprised just how many things I listed haven't shown up yet.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Paying2Lurk posted:

Oh no, I'm caught up! Cool to see me in the blurbs for Wo Long though. :hehe:

I'm still waiting to show up in the blurbs...

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Arist posted:

Cannot believe FFXVI made it to the top 10, as someone who ranked it in his top 10

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Praying that enough people get into Granblue Fantasy Versus Rising (there's a free version!!!) that it gets to be as high up as SF6 got in 2024.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Arist posted:

Okay, wow, I'm shocked some of these games are hanging in there for this long. Either Octopath II or FFXVI or both made it into the top 5, that's nuts.

Agreed. Especially considering the wildly mixed reception to the latter.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Hell yeah Clive time

fridge corn posted:

Well done Square Enix for placing just outside the top 5

Well Octopath 2 is also a Squenix joint...

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Where's the robots

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

SirSamVimes posted:

lol

Also Alan Wake 2 got robbed these results are clearly faked!!!

Clive's just a cooler name than Alan, sorry.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Robots top 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

So this is how far we could fly... on borrowed wings.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

I am still hesitant to try AC6 but I guess I have to sometime this year

You will spend a good 20 hours in the customisation screen. Because that's what I did.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I didn't play either TOTK or BG3 so I guess I have no real skin in the next two places.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Robots top 3!!!!!!!!!!

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Stuff I'm looking forward to in 2024:

FF14 Dawntrail
FF7R2
Yakuza: Infinite Wealth
Tekken 8 - mostly for watching
Granblue Fantasy Relink
Even more Granblue Fantasy Versus Rising

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I thought it would have been cool if one of the many mp4s I used for my AC6 review was posted instead of a quote but I'm glad that the quote that was chosen was a good one so I guess I can't really complain.