Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

DMCrimson posted:

We need to talk about the music here, oh my god. I would completely understand if this becomes your favorite OST of all-time. The default Partito theme would be the best track on every other game’s soundtrack and here, it’s maybe top ten? I started this review with the hot take of OT2 as the best traditional JRPG, but I don’t think it’s a hot take to say the same about the soundtrack. Chrono Trigger had a good run, but OT2 smokes it. It’s the pinnacle of bombastic & dramatic opera music that other RPGs like Final Fantasy or Fire Emblem strive to compose. Put this soundtrack in the same instant-classic tier as Undertale, Nier:Automata, Persona 5, and Ocarina of Time.

Yeah I instantly wanted to buy the physical soundtrack after I beat it in March but it was a crazy high price. I don't really listen to music on its own but there's been a few times where I've gone on a youtube binge after getting any song from the game stuck in my head.

I will say that while the song you listed is amazing and I'd thought about putting it up for my own GOTY post (still debating which song), I do think it'd be more impactful for a new player to be surprised by it rather than going in knowing it's coming? That's just my own hangup though.

FireWorksWell fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Dec 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

DMCrimson posted:

Thank you, and I agree on the surprise factor for the Song of Hope. I'll update my review accordingly with the Partitio theme.

That's a very satisfying replacement!

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

I loved Elite Redux but I've been waiting to sink in because they keep updating it every couple weeks.

And I'm only 25 floors in on siralim ultimate but it's definitely a contender for my top mon games.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

I wanted to get into this last year, but I procrastinated too much. This time I spent the last couple days working on this list, most of the entries with a song that stood out to me from each game's soundtrack that I hope people like; I don't go too much into the story both because I hope people get encouraged to try them without being spoiled at all, and because that's not usually my priority for enjoying a game as much as vibes and immersion.

10) Gravity Circuit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y02v6afxSHc

Hours: 25

I'm glad I lurked in the Megaman thread, because otherwise I've not heard a single thing about this one. I'd loved the X and Zero games but found them less responsive on newer consoles, and this definitely scratched my itch. Between precise (almost too precise for me sometimes) movement, a variety of flashy playstyles to tear through levels with, tense boss fights and a soundtrack that hearkens back to the Blue Bomber's various OSTs while still having its own identity, I was entertained enough to go through the game two more times in NG+. The plot is about as minimal as you'd expect from an early MMX game, but there's still a bit of meat to the characters. Just a bit, though.

Each stage has its own gimmick, of course; be it messing with blue/red square toggles to create different platforms or watching out for electrified surfaces, you'll be on your toes for your first run but nothing wears out its welcome or feels unfair. Every stage has little detours that you've gotta look out for if you want to rescue all the survivors and build up your repetoire of skills (they added loadouts a few months ago so experimenting is less painful, too); plenty of them are signposted with cracks or conscpicuous placement, but I had to look up a couple during end-game cleanup.

My only complaint is that it wasn't longer.

9) Final Fantasy Theatrhythm: Final Bar Line

Hours: 125

I've only played a small amount of FF games (7. 14, SOP, CC), but that didn't stop me from enjoying almost every song in this collection. It's even got me interested in grabbing the Pixel Remasters down the line. The real charm of the game for me was messing around with the RPG mechanics, finding the right setups so that I could get challenges like using 10 or more skills before the song ended. Some of them took me quite a few tries to be able to kill the boss before the song ended, and it was always cathartic to finally pull it off. I did find myself wishing that more songs got to play out to completion, like Answers and Oblivion from FFXIV.

I mostly played on the lowest difficulty with the intention to run through all the songs again on the next tier, but I'd finally found a song I couldn't perfect chain (Battle at the Big Bridge, anyone who played knows exactly which version I mean) so I just gave up and went to the second tier, which was enough of a difficulty jump to get me hooked for a few more hours.

8) Anodyne

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Z4FPUC-QzE

Hours: 9

This was an unexpected little gem; I'd only heard a little bit about it before checking it out on PS Extra and I ended up playing it to credits in the span of about two days. I feel like talking about it too much might dull the experience for a new player, so I'll keep this shorter. If I had to compare it to other games, it felt like a mixture of Link's Awakening and Tunic, a dream-like experience with low-stakes combat that encourages exploring every inch of the map. You're not given much direction by the game, but I only struggled to find a way forward once.

I adored the soundtrack and I'm always a sucker for 2D graphics in games, so it all came together for an experience that felt comforting and nostalgic despite how disturbing the game could get

7) Nexomon Extinction

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gghk5QTfkHk

Hours: 55

I grabbed the first game and this one early in the year since they were 15 bucks together and I was curious why someone on my friend list was playing it for the past couple weeks; I admit I had low expectations from the screenshots in the store but the first game was surprisingly pleasant for a port of an obvious mobile game. This post isn't about that, though.

Starting up Extinction, I was expecting more of the same but from the very beginning it's obvious that it's a more ambitious game. While the first game had characters and moments I really liked, there's much more depth to the setting and characters in the sequel. For a basic summary, the humans of the world are at war with 'Tyrant' Nexomon, the legendary-Pokemon equivalent. While it's believed that all Nexomon are inherently evil, skilled Tamers can still bond with and fight alongside them; it's a war of attrition, though, and rising tensions lead to drastic measures...But there's hope in the form of an orphan and their Tyrant egg.

The first thing, aside from a decent roster of player character sprites, that impressed me was just how open the world is from the beginning. You can go around to quite a few biomes (each beautifully designed with charming atmospheric music, I was smitten from the start with the first area's song linked up there) and build up your Dex to over 200 mons before even going to the first main quest city, though you'll still be blocked off in places due to lacking certain upgrades. There's level scaling that goes off of your current party, though there's still a main-story cap that gradually increases so it's not as bad as I thought at first, and you can modify certain aspects of the game to make it easier or harder.

Combat isn't a braindead cakewalk anymore, with the addition of forgeable equippable bonuses and not starting first every fight.
I liked that boss fights against legendary-type monsters had much higher stats than they have once you obtain them as opposed to the anti-climax you'd get for most Pokemon games.

While it does 'reward' playing the first game with little fun callbacks, the story still stands on its own as a distant future to the first game's world; I enjoyed the characters, especially the sidekick, and there's plenty of fourth-wall breaking humor but I actually found it amusing. I won't go into spoilers but I thought the final boss sequence was a fantastic payoff for a decently-sized campaign. The (free) expansion was fairly challenging, and adds a great QoL in the form of being able to bait specific mons you've seen to fill out your dex.
I'm day one on the third game whenever it comes out.

6) Slay the Spire

Hours: 95 and counting

I tried this after browsing Extra for a game I could play in short bursts. I can't really think of too much to say for this one, but I sure didn't think I'd find another game that'd have me going "just one more run" for hours on end like Hades. I've certainly lost more runs than I've won with this roguelike card battler, but never felt deterred because I almost always learned something new about how to deckbuild and play. I've played with the main three characters, each of them having their own fun playstyles, and it's honestly hard picking one each run.

5) Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lHKzfOGYvg

Hours: 25, 38 with NG+

It's a name I've seen countless times in the Metroidvania thread but I never actually looked into it until I saw it in the Extra catalog. One of those rare games I was sold on just from fighting my first enemy. With a variety of weapons and spells to mix around, I found myself trying new attacks every time I picked them up. While I never really found the game challenging, I didn't once feel bored during my playthrough. It has some fun spins on the usual Metroidvania movement conventions, the "flight" mechanic being my absolute favorite in the genre.

You play as the recently awoken Shardbinder Miriam, using the powers of defeated monsters sealed in crystals to fight and traverse. Demons have been let loose on the planet, with a strange, accursed castle as the setting you persevere through in the hopes of quelling the invasion.

There's a lot I liked packed in here; upgrading your shards allowed for plenty of powerful setups, getting passive shards maxed out made them permanent (as well as stackable with another version of that shard if you wanted), the crafting system kept me enjoying the grind. It delivers on the feeling of getting stronger over time. I put it down after my first run, but I redownloaded it a couple days after and blitzed through NG+ because I enjoyed it so drat much.

Plus you can get shoes that squeak with every step.

4) Monster Sanctuary

https://youtu.be/PULC-H7WK44

Hours: Steam, 49. PS5, 40

I've played a few mon games this year, but it's hard to beat a mix of turn-based mons and Metroidvania for my tastes. You play the role of an Ancestral Keeper starting their journey, from one of four bloodlines connected to unique monster familiars; each of the four stands out in their own way, though I chose the Phoenix because resurrection is always handy to have. Unlike Extinction, story isn't a focus but that's not why I play games of these genres.

Your battles are usually done in 3v3 format, for a total of six monsters; Keeper battles are much harder than normal fights but they're also relatively rare, and they encourage you to try out different team gimmicks. On the other side there are "Champion" monsters, where it's your team against a super strong single monster, and you get ranked based on how those battles play out with an egg as the 5* reward (you can redo these after fighting them).

Each monster has its own skill tree, with three to four branches/schools to customize with; resetting spent points isn't too much of a hassle, either. I favored an early game setup that applied chill and burn debuffs while shielding at the same time, but swapped to buff stealing/removal as a backup eventually. Inserting new monsters into your party is super easy, provided you get an egg from battling; the monsters hatch at your highest level. Excess eggs can be donated for rewards, giving a bit more incentive to grind out if that entices.

Exploration relies on your monster roster; even if it's not on your team, you can swap them out for their abilities, be it double jumping, breaking barriers, swimming and so on. There's secret rooms, of course, some much less obvious than others, and sometimes you'll need specific monster abilities from later on to access them. The built-in randomizer mode also accounts for this, so that you're never left in an unwinnable situation where you don't have any double jumpers available before you need them to progress further. Speaking of the randomizer, my ps5 run was done as such and it really is well done in terms of being fully 100%able; tracking down the last couple mons through process of elimination was actually fun for me.

I wouldn't have gotten it on Steam if I'd known it was on ps4/5, but I absolutely don't regret doing it all twice.

3) Ys VIII ~Lacrimosa of Dana~

https://youtu.be/KS8eFdNRB04

Hours: 74

I'd heard Ys VIII described as a stellar RPG from multiple people, and seeing it was free when I picked up Extra, I figured it wouldn't hurt to try. What I walked away from was one of the most emotionally moving games I've ever experienced. Just listening to the OST trying to find a fitting song for this has me nostalgic.

Your character is Adol, a self-described adventurer; working a side gig helping around on a large ship with your best friend, you find yourself stranded on an unknown island, scattered off from everyone else aboard. After some searching, you find an ally and start setting up a home base with the mission of tracking down every castaway and getting off the island. But there's much more to this place than anyone realizes, and Adol begins having dreams of a woman from a time long past...

As an action RPG in the vein of a Tales game, you run around various areas with a setup of four special moves. All share an MP bar, each with their own practical uses, and you unlock more through leveling up and exploring the island. There's various forms of Adventure Gear you acquire over time to give a Metroidvania kind of progression, letting you explore past swampy waters and submerged areas that you couldn't before, for instance.

(I didn't have any pics saved for this so I pulled this one off a search)

I found the visuals beautiful, and I found myself stopping to enjoy each new area as I stumbled across it, soaking the music and vibes in.
This game's soundtrack blew me away from the first area; I didn't want to link it because it was such a powerful feeling hearing it
for the first time and I hope this post inspires at least one person to try the game just to experience it. I won't go into too much detail but I choked up a few times in the late game. To paraphrase a youtube comment I'd seen about this game, it was one of those games that reminded me why I loved video games.

2) My Time at Sandrock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nG4Xgj9y0Vw

Hours: 74 and counting

Life sim games are very hit or miss for me. For the first few hours after buying and playing this, I was uncertain. Especially with a desert biome, which tend to be my least preferred. But there's reasons why I'm not finished this game and still ranked it so highly. I didn't want to include games I haven't finished, but there's no way I'm rushing the rest of this game just to gush over it before the new year starts.

I really can't get over how this game's won me over. Over the hours I've played so far I've watched both the town and the people slowly growing, with some changes being so drastic they completely destroy my former opinion of that character. It's a slow burn game as these tend to be, but I never felt like it dragged out and there's actually a lot to do in any given day; mining, gathering, farming, fighting monsters for parts are just the core options of an average day, there's no wasted time as you build your home and help restore a dying town.

Some days have special events going on, from a blimp dropping gifts that you have to grab before other townsfolk, to a sparring tournament, to playing hide and seek on post-apocolypse Halloween.

Speaking of time, this game has so much QoL! You can adjust how fast the time goes, from 0.6 to 3x. Though I can't imagine anyone playing the whole game on 3x, it seems mostly handy for having your queues go faster without going to sleep too early. You can access your stored items from anywhere, which is a HUGE positive for a game like this. There's skill trees that make things much smoother all around over time, too.

I admit I didn't really feel much for these characters at first, but boy did all of them grow on me, even the ones I despised. Mi-an, Sandrock's other new Builder, in particular is awesome for this kind of game; you can see her running all around Sandrock throughout the day to mine and gather her own stuff, it's just endearing! There's a nice variety of romanceable characters too, though I'm too much of a wuss to pursue more than one.

The main story goes surprisingly long, and I've found myself looking fondly at all the ways it's changed the map over time. I've even found myself feeling warm and fuzzy at recent stuff like (Spring) the first rain despite my jaded mood recently. I went through some rough times around when I bought this game, and it really has helped me work through it. I have absolutely no idea what to expect next from this game, but one thing's for sure.

I'll never forget my time with this game.

1) Octopath Traveler II

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUwBycmXypI

Hours: 88

Just looking at my avatar should be enough to show how much this game meant to me. I love turn-based, I love pixel/sprite-based games, and I love a good fantasy world. I made it to the city when I tried Throne's story in the demo before stopping and pre-ordering; the combat, cutscenes, vibes from hearing the night BGM of New Delsta and the visuals combined were all I needed. It's been nine months since I played it and I still think about this game.

Every character sets out on their path with a concrete goal; kinship, hope, revenge, memory...Through either chance or fate, they stumble across other travelers whose stories are connected in rather odd ways in the larger scheme of things. I wish I could have seen more party interactions because all the little banters they had going were fun! I couldn't pick a favorite or least favorite protagonist if I tried; some stories are lower-stakes than others (village girl wants to bring hope and smiles to everyone with dancing vs. a bloody, patricidal quest for freedom), some have better writing than others, but I really did enjoy every storyline despite the occassional flaw.

Every character's got their own leitmotif going, with variations for pre-boss fights and finishing their stories. Each one captures their personality so expertly, like Osvald's vengeful, quiet anger. I found the town and locale themes enrapturing as well, with day and night variations that you can seamlessly change between without missing a beat. My favorite thing about finding a new city were looking at all the NPC bios; every character you can interact with has their own little flavor text, giving the world life in a fun way!

I liked seeing discussion for this game in regards to combat; I saw a lot of build ideas I didn't even consider, and being able to break the system in so many ways is really cool for a turn-based RPG. It especially shines through with the superboss. I'm going to try different things for sure on my next playthrough, whenever I want to sink another 70 or so hours in.

It just can't be said enough that it's been a great year for games; there were a few others that didn't make my cut (SF6, BG3, SM2, FF16, Cassette Beasts) but all had aspects I liked, and posters who cherished those games can sell them on new players better than I ever could. I can't wait to see what the rest of this thread brings, I love seeing what people love about games. Games are loving great.

FireWorksWell fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Dec 5, 2023

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

woke kaczynski posted:

Hell yeah! This would've absolutely been on my 2022 list if I'd bothered to make one, another v strategically deep monster battler that integrates with the metroidvania aspect way better than it has any right to. Very excited for their next release!

Oh I didn't even know about that, Aethermancer looks like a lot of fun! Thanks for the heads up.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Yeah, going off how you felt about 1 you're really in for a treat.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

E: ^ Yeah it really did come in handy, most of my gameplay was on ps5. Sometime I could do without on the total playtime, don't need to know I spent 150 hours in star rail already, hahaha.

fridge corn posted:

Nice list! I've never even heard of half these games lol!

Really? Well, I think you'd really love ot2 buddy

Yeah it was difficult to actually figure my top 10 this year but it feels right looking over it. I hope it's even harder next year (aside from #1, I already know mine will be Dragon's Dogma 2)

Sorry it's been a harsh year for you, but it's really comforting to hear that you've got such a reliable friend; good luck!

I'd heard about pseudoregalia but never checked it out, this soundtrack slaps and it does look like a lot of fun, I'm a huge fan of these kinds of games.

Great song choice for ot2 too, I was really considering that one.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

As long as it's not too stressful on you to write it all out, more words are always nice to read ITT especially if it's a hidden gem kind of game and there's a few weeks left before the deadline. I had to stop myself from rambling too much on my list, and I haven't written that much on one thing since I was in school. Ultimately it felt good when I finished, though.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I would've picked Song of Hope for OT2 but didn't want to spoil that whole moment.

Yeah, amazing as it is, going in blind would hit harder especially if you really like her story.

I was surprised Dancer and Merchant were some of my favorite plotlines when I figured they'd be lower on a surface glance going in.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Forsythia posted:

5. Cassette Beasts: Pokémon normally dominates the niche of RPGs revolving around monster-taming, but now and then someone else takes a notable stab at the formula. I gave this one a try, and while I enjoyed it for a while, it didn't stick with me.

Yeah, I must have been around the 80% mark before I just stopped. I'm gonna finish it eventually because I've heard great things about the ending though

I also gotta say its soundtrack is phenomenal, especially how it feels when you get a song's lyrics to kick in. It gave me persona 5/TWEWY vibes.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

exquisite tea posted:

I won't, because it's better than both. :smugdog:

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Siralim really is a comfy Deck game, and I haven't played another mon game that feels as good to build your team in. I'm looking forward to how it opens up after the campaign.

I hadn't heard of Coromon before, definitely interested after looking around; it's half off ($10) on Steam so I plan to nab it before it goes off sale. It just looks so charming!

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

HopperUK posted:

It *is* charming! The little creatures do a Pokemon-anime version of their names as their little cries when you send them out. :3:

Oh no...I'd just bought MH Stories 2 yesterday but I might have to shelve that for a bit.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Epic High Five posted:

It's going to be high on my list later, but since we're talking about it now, the best Pokemon-style game I've played is Monster Sanctuary, and it's better than a lot of Pokemon entries if I'm being honest. The formula (3v3 but with a backup 3 ready to deploy if needed, with 90% emphasis on synergy rather than individual monsters) sounds great on paper, but what makes it fantastic is just how well it was pulled off with masterful balancing and no shortage of genuinely difficult fights to test you. Also metroidvania elements in the system where every mon has an overworld ability and most are related to traversal.

Oh, and any monster you hatch to use hatches at your level so zero grind. Built in randomizer and challenge modes are well done too.

I put it up as #4 in my list, it's definitely my favorite battle system for the genre. Their next game seems to be following a similar system, too.

Sometime soon I'm gonna do another MS run, though.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

It's hard to really talk about monster taming games without comparing to The Big One, but I do agree it's not very similar to Pokemon-type games. On that end I'm already loving Coromon like an hour in, the intro fight was a nice display of how complex the battle system can get.

Epic High Five posted:

Sure, it's not 100% but iirc the better you do the more likely you get an egg so there's some strategy, but mostly whatever you want spawns at a known location on the screen so you can just fight it directly. Way easier.

Yeah, it's not guaranteed but if you can do 4 or 5s the rates for egg grabbing aren't too bad.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

You dig giant robots!
I dig giant robots!
We dig giant robots!

Nice.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

I pretty much never listen to music on its own but I've found myself going through ot2's soundtrack a lot

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

I can't think of a generic boss bgm I like more

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Foul Fowl posted:

dark souls 2 (i replay this game every year and it was like 7 on my list last year, just goes to show you what a year we've had)

Always nice to see more ds2 love, it's easily my favorite Souls style game. I've gone through it at least a couple dozen times including ng+ and I don't think I've ever taken the same route to beat a playthrough. One day I'll manage Darklurker as first boss...

I really liked Sifu but agree that it could be longer. It's one of those games where "getting good" feels super cathartic. Arenas didn't really scratch my itch when I tried it but I was also out of practice.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Foul Fowl posted:

without the DLCs i think it would be slightly better than DS1 and worse than DS3 but with the DLC it beats all of them.

Yeah, I always look forward to the DLC areas whenever I start a new run. Just a little bummed they don't get a ng+ treatment like the rest of the game.
Conversely I thought DS3's dlc brought that game down; despite some cool ideas it really felt like they overtuned it to compensate for how easy most of the base game was. Might be a bit colored by the fact I ran through Ruined City for the first time at ng+4.

I still ended up putting more time into 3 over 2 but that's because soul memory made multiplayer a pain in the rear end especially once DS3 came out. I much prefer everything else about 2 over the rest of the soulsborne games though.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

He does get a raise at the end of one of the games, at least. Investigations 2

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Epic High Five posted:

11: Afterimage (Switch)

A game much higher up the list got me into metroidvanias and I played an awful lot of them this year. Afterimage sticks out not just for the extremely diverse array of weapons and combat options, but because even in such a short amount of time playing them its lush, extremely alive and varied settings stood out as a breath of fresh air. It's also an enormous game, probably the biggest metroidvania I've ever played, so it's good that stuff is fun to experiment with and the world is engaging. Performance could be a bit spotty on Switch, but only in the open world and especially with screens using parallax. It's playable but if you're put off by things getting herky jerky at times, PC is the best bet.

Yeah I have to say this might be my favorite in the genre. Would have put it in over Bloodstained on my list but it's a game I picked up early this month. Gorgeous, fluid movement and I really gelled with the combat to the point I enjoyed brute forcing bosses I was underleveled for.

Real drat shame about the translation job though. Can't decide on pronouns for some characters, and sometimes even in the same box of text you'd see inconsistencies.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

I hadn't actually looked at Warm Snow until now despite passing over it a few times in the PS Store, but I'm definitely snagging that since it's 30% off, thanks for the heads up!

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Metis of the Chat Thread posted:

Now I'm thinking I need to get Sandrock, if the improvement was THAT big. I got addicted to Portia but it was so, so boring.

If you were addicted to Portia then it really is a no-brainer, this is one of the most charming games I've touched in the last ten years.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Bumhead posted:

Heard this a lot. I think the traditional realistic "driving simulator" of the console market is in a tough spot. The big simulator stuff is now enough of a thing that if you want that, it's there, and the arcade racing scene which established GT/Forza's middle ground now barely exists.

I've been playing Burnout 3 here and there on my Deck and it really does bum me out there that this kind of game is mostly gone.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Jossar posted:

(Yes, neither has more solid release dates than their quarter and Hades II is just the early access, it's enough.)

Hades 2 EA's one of the reasons I grabbed a Steam Deck (though I didn't know it'd take this long to come out), I 100%'d Hades twice and was working on a third so I don't think I'll burn out on this by the time it gets released.

Warm Snow's been scratching that itch for me in the meantime; could use less of that overly horny shopkeeper dialogue though.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Speaking of upcoming games, I don't think I've seen Unicorn Overlord mentioned here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bmh1B-sglo

Day one for me.

Rarity posted:

This thread got me to try the first chapter of Higurashi When They Cry and er, what the gently caress is this game? :stare:

If it's anything like the anime you've not seen anything yet.
It's been like 15 years and I still have an irrational fear of my fingernails getting torn off.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

veni veni veni posted:

It's Baldur's Gate 3. It just is. I know this probably doesn't sit well with some because this is SA and it's such a normie take after all the post release hype, but really nothing else came close this year.

Hell, I finally started to chip away at act 3 again and I'm falling in love with it all over again, I love how lively the city feels and it's cool seeing sidequests from act 1 get closure. Hopefully I can beat it before LAD8 comes out.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Jossar posted:

...I still have to go back and try Temtem again before I even think about poking at one of those.

It's so friggin' charming, with its soundtrack, art style and just going around the islands was a relaxing time. The biggest thing holding it back in my opinion is how evolution relies on how many levels your monsters gained...adding new mons from the latter three islands kinda stinks for that reason. I put over 300 hours in early access, and I just got soured on it big-time when it hit 1.0 and they went into mtx immediately. Like, 15 dollars to get a mount that lets you avoid random encounters and move around faster, when normally you'd only get one near the end of the game.

I really like the doubles battles format though, and PVP was enjoyable for what I played of it.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Jossar posted:

With Hades II's early access and Balatro, feels like it's gonna be another Year of the Roguelike to me.

(also playing Astral Ascent, but that probably isn't gonna win any hit awards)

I won't even mind if Hades 2 EA doesn't show up in Q1 with all the other games coming out.

I have AA wishlisted, what do you think of it so far?

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Jossar posted:

I really like it so far, but I definitely keep getting stonewalled by the end of Zone 2's bosses and I'm not sure if that's me being bad at videogames or not having unlocked enough metaprogression yet (somebody in the Roguelike thread made it all the way to the end of the first difficulty level on their 5th attempt). Definitely encourages you to run through zones as quickly as possible although there is a slight side benefit (earlier leveling of your overall character in time for Zone 2) if you stop and smell the roses/punch mobs just a bit more than the natural flow of the game otherwise encourages.

The bosses are pretty fun and mostly what you're here for with 3 on a rotation per zone. It's not quite Hades-level in its other aspects, but it does come decently close and I'm finding a lot happens in between each run so far, still.

It sounds promising, thanks! I'm still gonna wait for a sale, I think I need a break from Hades-likes after 100%ing Warm Snow (which was a drat blast to play through especially when I had everything unlocked).

E: Hell yeah OT2!!

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

bone emulator posted:

Congrats to bg3 on the win.

Predicting Infinite Wealth and D.Dogma 2 for the top10 next time.

Yeah I'd say those two and Unicorn Overlord

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Ragequit posted:

Games Done Quick charity stream is kicking off with an Octopath 2 (ranked number 5 here hell yeah) run in a few minutes: https://www.twitch.tv/GamesDoneQuick

Hikari's english VA just threw up $88 dollars :3:

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Ragequit posted:

What in the entire world? I took a little break, tuned in, and the person was beating the final boss while wearing a blindfold. They beat the entire game in an hour and 22 minutes. Wild stuff.

It was the superboss, but yeah. The blindfold bit was nuts, I can't imagine how much practice that took to get down. I never looked at the crit scope, my Inventor schtick was just having Agnea zap everyone into full HP/MP/BP every battle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

But can we make it to 420