Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

I finally finished Disco Elysium this year so everything else is fighting for 2nd place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Harlock posted:

Final Fantasy 16 probably won't get a lot of play for game of the year despite being a solid entry in the series after wandering in the wilderness for a bit (MMO aside). Despite how much I know Baldur's Gate 3 is my personal choice for GOTY, when 'Find the Flame' kicks in during FF16 is probably my favorite moment in a narrative this year. There's so many good cutscenes and acting performances in FF16 in general.

Yeah, that specific moment was my #1 gaming moment this year. CBU III was firing on all cylinders for that one.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

YoshiOfYellow posted:

That sounds like a lot of what I've heard for sure. Just haven't really ever found the opportunity to try it out, would need it to be on a pretty cheap price point to give it a go.

I think on the Switch at least it has a fairly lengthy demo and progress from that will carry over into the main game.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Honorable mentions:
Baldur's Gate 3 - Me and my three older brothers are playing through this together, and are still in act 1. I expect we'll be finished in 2025.

8. Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
This was the first or second game I beat this year, and I had a blast the whole way through. The asteroid mission in particular is one that will stick with me, much like Titanfall 2's time travel mission. I do feel it could have used another mission or two, but that's a minor sin all things considered.

7. Final Fantasy X
I have to say, I enjoyed Final Fantasy X more than I thought I would. The story was excellent, the battle system was enjoyable (though the difficulty curve felt uneven when it came to bosses), and the music was perfect. I wish I had taken notes because I surely had more to say.

6. Strangers of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin
This game is a really excellent realization of a Final Fantasy job system in an action game. Combat feels drat good in this game, and it looks quite nice as well. Jack, while seemingly a meme if all you saw was the announcement trailer, is really an excellent character, and the story is earnest and well-told.

5. Outer Wilds
I don't want to spoil anything about this game for anyone so this will be fairly vague. The central mechanic of this game is very well done, and there are enough threads to pull that I never felt stuck for very long. The music is perfect and I love what the ending did with it.

4. Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
In Breath of The Wild I would often just pick a direction and see what I found. In Tears of the Kingdom I did the same thing, but Nintendo added "up" and "down" as possible directions.

3. Final Fantasy XVI
This is the first Final Fantasy game I've played on release that didn't make it hard for me to love. The combat worked really well for me, and the eikon fights were some of the best spectacle in gaming. The story and Ben Starr's performance were my favorites from this year.

2. Final Fantasy VII: Remake
Everything about this game rules. The music, the character design, and especially the combat system, holy poo poo is the combat system inspired. I will never get tired of hearing Aerith's "I'll show you what I can do" reverb out into the distance as I switch into tactical mode. If Rebirth isn't my #1 game next year I'll be shocked.

1. Disco Elysium
I haven't stopped thinking about this game since I finished it in September. This game made made me think and feel things I didn't think a game could, and was relatable to me in ways I wish it wasn't.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

:cheers:

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

I very nearly beat CP2077 in time to add it to my list. Alas, looks like it'll go on my 2024 list.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

ahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

fridge corn posted:

Looks like a bunch of ppl pulled the trigger on Remake in anticipation of Rebirth

This year was actually my second time playing it, but the first time I actually engaged with the combat system on its own terms :)